ADVERTISEMENT

Middle Tennessee(10-8, 3-2) vs ODU(15-2, 4-1), (GetTV/WUXP30.2)Thursday 7PM

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
excerpt: from dnj regarding television:

...Alternate channel for ODU: MTSU's game against the Monarchs, set for 7 p.m. Thursday, will be televised by the American Sports Network, but it won't be available on WUXP-30.1 as usual.

MyNetworkTV (WUXP-30.1), the local ASN affiliate, is contractually obligated to broadcast the ACC's North Carolina State-Miami game at 7 p.m.

The ODU-MTSU game will be broadcast on GetTV, or WUXP-30.2 - a subchannel of the network. Comcast subscribers will be able to find the game on Channel 251.....

This post was edited on 1/20 1:42 PM by SpaceRaider

MTSU notes: Ivory returns, RPI update and more

dnj:

...things are trending the right direction for MTSU.

The Blue Raiders have averaged 69.3 points per game in their last four games, up from 58.2 per game before that.

That rise overall has allowed Upshaw to average 13.3 in last four outings, while forward Darnell Harris has averaged 10.0 in that same stretch. Harris' average is helped by a career-best 24 against Florida Atlantic on Jan. 10.

But more importantly, MTSU is 3-1 during that span....

This post was edited on 1/21 12:19 PM by SpaceRaider

Who is MT's go-to guy?

goblueraiders.com:
[/B]

[/B]

[/B]

GAME INFORMATION
(FULL GAME NOTES)[/B]

[/B]
Date: [/B]Thursday, Jan. 22
Time:[/B] [/B] 7:05 p.m. CT
Teams[/B]: Old Dominion (RV) at Middle Tennessee
Arena: [/B]Murphy Center (11,520)
TV: [/B]American Sports Network (ASN)
LOCAL: Comcast 251, WZTV (Broadcast) 30.2
Talent: Dave Barnett and Tim Scarborough
Radio:[/B] [/B]ESPN Nashville (97.5/102.5), The Game, WMOT-FM (89.5), WGNS AM-FM (1450/100.5/101.9)
Play-by-Play: [/B]Chip Walters
Color: [/B]Kyle Turnham

Live Stats

[/B]

MT and ODU set for defensive battle on Thursday

Thursday's game with old dominion dubbed social media night

B76MQZ1IEAEUxef.jpg

dnj:

...The MTSU men's basketball team doesn't have a signature win to date. It hasn't beaten a top-100 team in the RPI either.

The Blue Raiders can reverse both trends at 7 p.m. Thursday in Murphy Center when they host Old Dominion (15-2, 4-1 Conference USA). The Monarchs have the best RPI in C-USA (No. 29) and were ranked in the Associated Press poll for the first time in school history two weeks ago.....

This post was edited on 1/21 7:37 PM by SpaceRaider

Big challenge awaits MT against Old Dominion

excerpt:

...The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders butt heads with the Old Dominion Monarchs at the murphy Center.

The Old Dominion Monarchs bring in an impressive 15-2 record in to Thursday's contest with an eye on the CUSA lead and a national ranking. The Monarchs don't stand out offensively but don't have too because their defense does at only 55 points allowed. ODU improved to 4-1 in the conference with a 61-50 victory versus visiting North Texas Saturday. The Monarchs led by ten at the intermission and held serve the rest of the way with both teams sinking shots in the 35% range ODU nailing 10-24 threes. Trey Freeman gave the offense 18 points on 7-14 including four bombs with Aaron Bacote adding 14 points and six pulls. Jonathan Arledge and Ambrose Mosley each added nine points apiece with Richard Ross hauling in ten rebounds.

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders score and allow 60 points which leaves zero room for error so a boost in scoring would go a long way. Having said that the Blue Raiders aren't doing all that bad at 10-8 as they saw their three game winning streak come to an end in a 75-68 loss at Louisiana Tech Saturday. The Bulldogs hit shots at 42.6% with MTSU responding with 36% marksmanship and stayed reasonably close with a few more makes from beyond the arc. Ja'Quel Richmond was the Blue Raiders high scorer with 14 points but was only 4-11 from the floor with Reggie Upshaw Jr. adding 12 points and five pulls. Jaqawn Raymond and Perrin Buford each scored nine points with five and ten rebounds respectively but the bottom line is MTSU has to win when coming close to 70 points.

The Monarchs are 7-2 ATS in their last 9 games vs. a team with a winning S.U. record and 12-5 ATS in their last 17 games overall. Old Dominion are 9-4 ATS in their last 13 games following a S.U. win and 1-4 ATS in their last 5 road games vs. a team with a home winning % of greater than .600. The Blue Raiders are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games vs. a team with a winning S.U. record and are 15-5 ATS in their last 20 home games vs. a team with a winning road record. MTSU are 21-8-1 ATS in their last 30 home games and 7-3 ATS in their last 10 games following a S.U. loss.....

This post was edited on 1/22 12:02 PM by SpaceRaider

An exciting home stand this weekend. I think more than anything this home stand will show us the ceiling for this team. These two games will go a long way in determining if we can be a team that will have to be reckoned with or if we are an also ran this year. At times this season, we have looked like both. Hoping for good things.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

MT can't hit free throws (where have we heard that before?) but forces OT on the Ivory layup with 7 seconds left. Appears we blocked ODU's shot at the other end but haven't seen a replay yet.

WE DID IT!! Great game Blue Raiders!! Potts and Raymond come through 68-58!
smile.r191677.gif

4-2 in conference. 11-8 overall.

Keep this streak up and we'll be vying for the C-USA Tournament (and maybe Regular Season) Championship. Maybe even the NCAA's?

As a bonus, Louisiana Tech lost in Denton tonight!!

GO BLUE RAIDERS!!

This post was edited on 1/22 9:30 PM by Raiderclyde

The refs blew more than their whistles last night at some highly questionable times. I did not think that they were going to let us win. I liked our aggression, but we made some stupid unforced errors at really bad times. I also noticed that OD did not make any unforced errors that I could see. 3-pointers really saved our butts. Fun and exciting game to watch. Student section looked good, but I was really expecting a MUCH bigger crowd. Also, our fan base is pretty old. In 10 to 15 years, there will be a lot less regulars unless something changes.

It's the generation regarding the crowd. I'm telling you. They don't care....as much. Not saying that is right or wrong but Millennials and to a degree my generation of Xers, unless a sports fan themselves, do not care. I see it in the technology industry as we hire youngins. Us 35+ are talking about National Championships, rankins, and players and they could care less. There is nothing MT can do more right now for the men's basketball program. Kermit is doing things the right way. After 6 years he sold me. It took forever, but I have bought in.

That being said, the three pointers saved our bacon the last half. I thought we did excellent on defense too. It looked good on TV fwiw. I couldn't get an hour away to make it to the game but the Murph really does look ok on tv these days.

Originally posted by JohnDavidBlue:
It's the generation regarding the crowd. I'm telling you. They don't care....as much. Not saying that is right or wrong but Millennials and to a degree my generation of Xers, unless a sports fan themselves, do not care. I see it in the technology industry as we hire youngins. Us 35+ are talking about National Championships, rankins, and players and they could care less.
I have actually been thinking about this, mostly in relation to football attendance, but it applies here as well.

I'm 36, and when I was growing up, my earliest memories were T-ball, little league, pop warner, etc. I played sports right through Jr. High and High school.

I hate to sound like an old fogey here, but we didn't have cell phones. The only video game we had was Nintendo. If you wanted to hang out with friends, there was no skype or twitter or texting or facebook, you rode your bike over to their house. What did you do when you got there - you played sports. You grew up with a passion for the games because that's what the main play time activity was for me.

Kids today - I don't know, but I get the feeling that you're on to something - they just don't seem to have the sports "bug" like I did as a kid.

Part of it seems to be the explosion of individual sports (Xgames type crap) and other sports (think stuff like soccer), which has taken away from the traditional Football-Baseball-Basketball. Another is just so many kids have so many more opportunities to engage in other pursuits. And that's great.

But I do think we're going to see a dramatic shift in what it means to have good attendance and fan support, etc.

We really need to push the school to get free wifi in both the Glass House and Floyd - that would be a start (they may already have, and I just don't know). It's all about connecting and sharing experiences with their friends in real time. The San Francisco 49ers have taken the best approach to the changing demographics; however, I still want to add that I still think Jed York is a jackass. But they have really taken a unique approach - as a fan you head to the stadium and use your mobile device to assist with finding an empty parking spot, to upgrade your seat as soon as they walk into the facility, order food and drinks once settled into their seat, and when nature calls, to find out which nearby restroom has the shortest wait time. The thing is that it is much easier to incorporate Wi-Fi in a newly built building if it's included in the original building plans. Existing ones will have to be retrofitted. They are also looking at what all CAN be accessed - like instant replay. But we really need to see if we can get the folks to jump on the connected wagon and get a head start; kind of hard when you have already have to budget for increased money for scholarships and other needs for the programs.

I also wonder what % of the population were actually born and raised in Murfreesboro. I bet only 20% or so.

Also all that said - social media night, was a good idea.
This post was edited on 1/23 12:40 PM by MidTnBlues

Don't want to derail this thread into just another thread on attendance but I would like to piggy back off of a couple of your comments.

". . . our fan base is pretty old." Agreed, and as far as BkB is concerned - We started losing the younger folks (couples on date night - families with children, etc) about half way of the 20 + years of mediocrity (Farrar, Weil, first several years of Davis). Don't know if it was the product on the floor, the many more entertainment options, or a change in culture but we lost a generation who, IMHO, it will be impossible to gain back. And as for today's young adults - the past three years of success hasn't shown we're gaining them either. But it's not MT's problem exclusively - I was recently talking to a VU Dore fans who was bemoaning a gym 2/3 full for an $EC game - also mentioned the age of fans and that the seats in the reserved section were never full which didn't look good on TV. (Could this attendance issue be an area wide problem created somewhat by Nashville becoming a Pro/Big Time city?)

". . . the explosion of individual type sports (Xgames type crap)" I do understand individual sports like golf and tennis but agree this new age stuff is "Crap" to most earlier generations. Makes me sick that the Olympics has embraced this stuff. But it's popular to today's youth. As an example I have a nephew who was a pretty good high school BkB player and still follows mainstream team sports. His son, however embraced bicycle sports (road racing and mountain biking) in high school, went to Colorado for college so he could do snow sports, and now lives in California surfing and motorbike racing in his spare time. Cares less about team sports. I understand the fitness movement but the individual sports movement (much made for TV) is hard to understand at my age.

". . . the Murph really does look good on tv these days" Agreed, the new lighting does make the arena look much fuller since you can't tell much on TV above 2/3 of the lower bowl. Also, the MT logo spotlight on the floor (recently added) really looked good on TV during the player introductions.

I agree with you Doug, that we may have a big shift in what expected as good attendance - I'm afraid that the stadiums and arenas at many places will become nothing but TV studios.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT