ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Jestin Porter is BACK!

not a huge surprise and I thought this might happen. Was looking at his Twitter a few days ago and he still had MT stuff all over it and wasn’t spamming/bragging about offers from a bunch of other schools.

Suspect the other offers in the end just weren’t there. Not any good enough to leave MT anyway. His stats overall are pretty average but I think he’s a better player than what the stats say, if that makes any sense. I’m sure Nick is glad to have him back

Weston will have to start so that movies porter to “shooting guard.” College ball these days is way less rigid than it used to be so really they will just be the 2 starting guards. I suspect Nick will utilize them both as ball handlers and slashers. Could prove to be deadly or a disaster, really not sure.

Definitely gives the Raiders a much better chance to be improved over last year with Weston & Porter in the backcourt. How much better the team becomes is a total unknown. I think much of next year's degree of improvement lies with what Kamari Lands can bring to the team. While he showed tremendous skills & promise in high school it unfortunately hasn't panned out in college as of yet. So much depends on fit in college basketball.
Of all those involved with MT basketball to me it's probably CNM & Lands who feel the most pressure to have a big year. CNM in the final year of contract probably feels his job's likely on the line, & Lands when coming out of high school was probably having dreams of being a sure pro. This could possibly be a last stand for both in hopes of continuing their careers.
Having potentially one of CUSA's strongest backcourts in Weston & Porter I think could definitely help out the future goals for both CNM & Lands.

My starting 5 would be the same as Shayne's.

Weston/Porter/Oglesby/Bufford/Mostafa. CNM seems like he prefers to play with more length but those are five 5th-year (of eligibility) seniors, they have all proven at some point that they can hold their own at the C-USA level. Kinda feels like a no-brainer to me.

Bench rotation for me would be Counter/Green/Lands/Hall/Loofe. Alston and Jordan are the outsiders looking in. Still a lot TBD obviously. Lands and Hall each have a wide variety of outcomes, either could boom or bust imo. Loofe, Green, and Alston could take a step up developmentally. Its a good bench- I see a lot of room to grow and several avenues of success.

Still need one more center. I think they'll go for one closer to Mostafa's archetype than Loofe's.

Not sure why in the world we brought back Fussell. Didn't do anything when he was here and didn't do anything at UTM either.

Reactions: TrueBlue147
My starting 5 would be the same as Shayne's.

Weston/Porter/Oglesby/Bufford/Mostafa. CNM seems like he prefers to play with more length but those are five 5th-year (of eligibility) seniors, they have all proven at some point that they can hold their own at the C-USA level. Kinda feels like a no-brainer to me.

Bench rotation for me would be Counter/Green/Lands/Hall/Loofe. Alston and Jordan are the outsiders looking in. Still a lot TBD obviously. Lands and Hall each have a wide variety of outcomes, either could boom or bust imo. Loofe, Green, and Alston could take a step up developmentally. Its a good bench- I see a lot of room to grow and several avenues of success.

Still need one more center. I think they'll go for one closer to Mostafa's archetype than Loofe's.
Kamari Lands get minutes off the bench?

I agree. Not a good sign if this is the best they can do getting another big man.
Whoever they got was going to be playing behind the TCU kid and Loofe. Hard to find someone willing to spend their last year as a third string big. The incoming big averaged 3 fouls per game at Coastal and Loofe is still learning how to establish position early, so having a third big that’s a veteran wasn’t the worst idea imo

Mostafa is good enough to play 30 mins a game at center. Loofe is good enough to play at least 15. They had more than enough at center before Fussell committed so really no reason to fret over it. They simply needed a body. Fussell fits well given he's been here, he's old, and he wasn't the worst second string of all time when they won 26 games in 2022. He will be a fine 3rd string/insurance piece/practice body.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT