Brendon Harris DB Wake Forest

Felix Hixon. DL. South Carolina

Omari Kelly. WR. Auburn

Marcus Miller. OL. UNLV

James Monds III. DB Indiana

Hayes Sutton. WR. Duke

Xavier Williams. QB. UCF

Last edited:
Think you still see them add 6-10 guys before fall camp at the moment.

Have to add some bodies at places

A lot of P5 guys there. I know that was a complaint about Rick in years past.

He got some game action in 2022 at Charlotte. Played in six games with one start.

34 of 67 for 420 yards. Two touchdowns and two picks

Exactly and FBS, not D2. It may not translate in year 1 but we upgraded. As bad as I was about this hire in December, I've been converted over to being on CDM's bandwagon. CDM beat Stock all 4 times he faced him. So we upgraded. CDM has done everything I've been wanting us to do for many years. I'm pretty happy with him and his staff so far.

I have to think that a backup player at a P5, upset that he isn't getting playing time, is "generally" more talented than a D2 kid from Tennessee Tech. And if he's one that's a better situation than a less than mediocre player we get because he will stay multiple years.

Our roster will be turning over probably 1/3 a year if we are good. I would prefer to reload with P5 leftovers that are hungry to get on the field.

https://ibb.co/PN6SCPY

Have to be careful about P5 transfers, here's a few the prior staff took, most of these guys were minimal production guys.

IIRC, Hockman (NC State QB transfer) left the team pretty early on in the season after being benched & many of the other guys (Boykin, Peterson, Rogers, Elder, Williams, Wright) never played a meaningful down at Middle.

Of course, sometimes you hit on these - Justin Olson, Netori Johnson (maybe, don't know much on OL & the consensus is that it was bad; had one season as a starter), & the RB's from 2021, Rasul & Pettway were servicable players.

Maybe how those guys panned out is the fault of the old staff, or maybe its the reality of P5 transfers - a mixed bag - most are leaving for reasons (character concerns, lack of playing time, etc.)

Holding out hope that we are hitting on guys who have just been buried on deep depth charts! Go Blue!

P.S. ... New here! Excited for this fall.

Have to be careful about P5 transfers, here's a few the prior staff took, most of these guys were minimal production guys.

IIRC, Hockman (NC State QB transfer) left the team pretty early on in the season after being benched & many of the other guys (Boykin, Peterson, Rogers, Elder, Williams, Wright) never played a meaningful down at Middle.

Of course, sometimes you hit on these - Justin Olson, Netori Johnson (maybe, don't know much on OL & the consensus is that it was bad; had one season as a starter), & the RB's from 2021, Rasul & Pettway were servicable players.

Maybe how those guys panned out is the fault of the old staff, or maybe its the reality of P5 transfers - a mixed bag - most are leaving for reasons (character concerns, lack of playing time, etc.)

Holding out hope that we are hitting on guys who have just been buried on deep depth charts! Go Blue!

Welcome! Post often and get premium if you want to follow recruiting!

Reactions: boromaderaider

Welcome to the board! I think there is a little of both. I think bringing in P4 talent will likely give us more hits than rolling the dice on D2 out of high school. Obviously there will be some duds but I think percentage wise the P4 transfer retread route is a better recruiting strategy than what Rock was doing.

Reactions: boromaderaider

Good post.

The key is going to be figuring out who is available in the portal because they aren't good enough, or because they don't "work out" for one reason or another.

There's no shame in not being able to start at Alabama or South Carolina and wanting to come to G5 to play. We can win lots of games in CUSA with those players.

There's also a lot of guys in the portal who are available because they have work ethic issues, or just don't apply themselves, or don't take coaching, or have attitude issues, etc - those guys will never be successful at any level no matter how many stars they have next to their name.

It's going to be up to Mason to figure it all out. If he does, there's no reason we can't win championships. If not, then we'll be hiring again.

No, a lot of kids after year 2 and 3 are being ran off for more developed players especially the guys who were fringe P5 guys. The coaches aren't taking the time to develop guys anymore. They need to win now since they are paying these guys to play. So you will and can find great players for G5, and the FCS guys are more developed because they have played for 2 and 3 years. The difference between FCS linemen and FBS is most FCS guys had bodies coming out of high school, but could play and the FCS schools take a chance and develop them. So taking FCS linemen are a good bet as well.

I know this is BBall, but it shows the $ coming through. I mean I couldn't imagine being a college kid with $200-$500k. Hell, I can't imagine it now as a 44yr old. Lord knows I don't come close to that. I'd be interested to know what some football players are pulling in.

Bailey Hockman. Wow that was a blast from the past. I remember being excited to see him play and then immediately being excited to see him leave. He was terrible and then he quits early in the season. What a mess. Wonder what ever happened to him.

Like how did he even get an offer from anyone, he was that bad?

Reactions: ewglenn
It was amazing how our fortunes changed once we replaced him with Chase. It seemed liked everybody on the team knew this except our coaches….

I know this is BBall, but it shows the $ coming through. I mean I couldn't imagine being a college kid with $200-$500k. Hell, I can't imagine it now as a 44yr old. Lord knows I don't come close to that. I'd be interested to know what some football players are pulling in.

Hugh Freeze said he was thinking about a portal QB and prices were easy 1-million+.

He didn't buy any of those guys, but he said he wouldn't have a problem with that if it was the right player.

• Wow
Reactions: MidTennMtneer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT