ADVERTISEMENT

i guess nobody is going to address this

I really wish there was a formal way for fans/alumni to voice their displeasure with a university.

Cutting donations and not going to games anymore hurts the team/program. I only want to hurt/fire these clowns in charge.

Unfortunately, this is what happens when institutions fail. Or maybe even why they fail. A lot of it going on around our country these days.

No accountability + not caring about the people especially core involved people = failing institutions. As long as those at the top keep getting their fat checks, more failed institutions.

Most people after beating their head against the wall for so long end up leaving and move on to other more functional groups or institutions.

'Ole Chicom McPhee owns this.
He has done nothing but focus on strengthening ties with tsu and diminishing Blue Raider athletics...

The alumni asociation has had the money for a law school for over 30 years but MT has been denied twice. The first time in favor of allowing tsu to negotiate with the Nashville School of Law and most recently MT was to be handed a law school.

7 wood is no friend of MT.

Reactions: TrueBlue147
I’d rather the MAC. That conference is FCS in all but name.

Personally, I don’t get the problems with the MAC. It certainly seems better than the alternative than sinking to the bottom of the sea in CUSA.

The MAC is stable, winnable, has programs that fit our budget, has ESPN for a TV partner, has carved out a little niche in the world of college football, routinely stocks the NFL with players, recruits down south all the time, and had a team play in a NYD bowl, is easier to travel than the bloated “new” CUSA and more bus-friendly for our non-revenue sports than sending them out to UTEP and NMSU, has 80 years of tradition, and we might actually be able to entice some road fans with a trip

You guys don’t want to road trip to Ohio in November, but you ain’t gonna pack the car to visit places like Las Cruces or wherever the heck Central Arkansas is either.

It ain’t a great option. It ain’t even a good option. But it’s better than playing with a bunch of FCS move-up crud spread out from Virginia to New Mexico.
You do realize a good portion of the Sun Belt were FCS within the last 10 years right? Are they FCS in all but name? In the grand scheme of things 90% of the G5 are FCS in all but name. This has nothing to do with road trips in November. That conference would be above MAC in football in 5 years easy. Most games would be geographically better. Wouldn’t make trips to Las Cruces or Conway often. There are at least some desirable potential rivals in that conference to me, but none in the MAC.

This is going to sound terrible, but I have zero faith in a woman/feminine energy handling this issue.

CUSA could actually turn this into a winning move if it's smart. $36 million in exit fee's is a TON of money for a G5 conference. That's like a decade of TV contracts, if not more.

We can take that $36 million and distribute it amongst the 10 hopeful members we are to have. CUSA can keep $1 million, and give every remaining school/joining school $3.5 million dollars.

What does that $3.5 million do for you? Well, it's going to give you the pick of the litter when it comes to adding FCS schools. You might also be able to sway Liberty to join, or maybe (but doubtful) get Uconn to join in all sports.

I think CUSA has a pretty easy path forward if they just go something like (I'm operating under the assumption Marshall, Southern Miss, and ODU leave)

East - MTSU, WKU, FIU. Add Liberty, Umass, or Uconn (all sports). If Liberty and Uconn say no, you add Umass and pick the best regional FCS program (Kennesaw State, Jacksonville State?)

West - UTEP, NMSU, La. Tech + 2 regional FCS programs. I like Sam Houston State & McNeese State here, but I'm sure there will be options.

That's a fairly legit conference + a boat load of $$ infused to it's members.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
This is going to sound terrible, but I have zero faith in a woman/feminine energy handling this issue.

CUSA could actually turn this into a winning move if it's smart. $36 million in exit fee's is a TON of money for a G5 conference. That's like a decade of TV contracts, if not more.

We can take that $36 million and distribute it amongst the 10 hopeful members we are to have. CUSA can keep $1 million, and give every remaining school/joining school $3.5 million dollars.

What does that $3.5 million do for you? Well, it's going to give you the pick of the litter when it comes to adding FCS schools. You might also be able to sway Liberty to join, or maybe (but doubtful) get Uconn to join in all sports.

I think CUSA has a pretty easy path forward if they just go something like (I'm operating under the assumption Marshall, Southern Miss, and ODU leave)

East - MTSU, WKU, FIU. Add Liberty, Umass, or Uconn (all sports). If Liberty and Uconn say no, you add Umass and pick the best regional FCS program (Kennesaw State, Jacksonville State?)

West - UTEP, NMSU, La. Tech + 2 regional FCS programs. I like Sam Houston State & McNeese State here, but I'm sure there will be options.

I agree with you on this. Pretty much every word of it. Not 100% sold on UMASS, but not against it.

Absolute no thanks to that garbage. I'd rather be in a stable conference that isn't FCS-lite.

I agree with you on this. Pretty much every word of it. Not 100% sold on UMASS, but not against it.

Umass is a good university. Solid hoops, solid budget, but does need to get better in football. Joining CUSA and getting the $3.5 million might be just what they need !

Right, if the conference had real leadership instead worrying over everyone in D1 athletics being too competitive and handing out participation trophies, then C-USA and MTSU wouldn't be in this sorry mess.

Yea, these wonders of mediocrity might pull out some hodgepodge of a conference that would technically qualify as a conference. Even so, make no mistake, this is a 20 year set back for the remaining involved institutions particularly MTSU.

Umass is a good university. Solid hoops, solid budget, but does need to get better in football. Joining CUSA and getting the $3.5 million might be just what they need !
why would they get any of the exit fee money? that would only go to the schools that stayed as well as basketball units also. I believe if the conference folds, the schools that earned the credits get that money. So MT would get a nice check

why would they get any of the exit fee money? that would only go to the schools that stayed as well as basketball units also. I believe if the conference folds, the schools that earned the credits get that money. So MT would get a nice check

I don’t think we have to give new members any money, but in my opinion, if we did, we would attract the best possible candidates.

Liberty and Umass might say no to joining. But what if we offered them $3.5 million to join? Might make them say yes.

Reactions: mtfblue
I doubt Liberty wants to join. They probably consider it divine intervention that we turned them down and they dodged a $24 million bullet.

I was bored watching the game once 2nd half started. Working on one with some FCS schools now.

MAC.jpg

SBC.jpg

Apparently CUSA is in talks with freaking Tarleton State. Really? That’s what people are willing to be put through? Just awful.

it’s UTEPs only hand. And truth be told CUSA probably doesn’t even want them with all this regionalization talk. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the miners kicked out of CUSA if the right circumstances present.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but CUSA is trying to stay westward bound. How desperate is this conference… we need to get out ASAP

Reactions: Brew_Raider
Tarleton State ? Wow. No. Funny fact though, Jay McDonald is playing there now for them. He’s done pretty well this year. But….they are not even close to an FBS program. Oakland high school probably has a better team and nicer facilities….

no offense, but this is what happens when a woman is in charge. I fear she doesn’t know what she doesn’t know, and that’s clearly a lot about how big time college athletics functions

that tweet makes me very sad. I had some hope for CUSA. But if we are entertaining Tarleton St……things are worse than I thought.

I don’t know what to do anymore. MAC is not a viable option in my eyes. Shutting everything down should be on the table at this point.

He has done nothing but focus on strengthening ties with tsu and diminishing Blue Raider athletics...

The alumni asociation has had the money for a law school for over 30 years but MT has been denied twice. The first time in favor of allowing tsu to negotiate with the Nashville School of Law and most recently MT was to be handed a law school.

7 wood is no friend of MT.
Yep, what is McPhee's big accomplishment? The science building? That was mostly a product of the state system on higher ed capital expenditures. When the building's turn rose to the top of the state list, the state funded it. Heck, the fry cook from The Krabby Patty could have presided over that process for MTSU.

I really try to give people a chance, the benefit of the doubt so to speak, but dang 'Ole Chicom McPhee is really compiling a list or resume of actions and outcomes that really speaks to something really pretty rotten for MTSU in his decades here. I find it increasingly troubling when I consider the fruit McPhee has produced as Prez of MTSU.

Reactions: TrueBlue147
Tarleton State ? Wow. No. Funny fact though, Jay McDonald is playing there now for them. He’s done pretty well this year. But….they are not even close to an FBS program. Oakland high school probably has a better team and nicer facilities….
I don’t know what to do anymore. MAC is not a viable option in my eyes. Shutting everything down should be on the table at this point.
I’m not a fan of the Tarletan State addition, but they just dropped some serious $$$ on football facilities. Take a look.

I’ve been told by a former Tarletin State football player the president is ambitious and growing enrollment. (Must be nice).

I’ll vouch for Tarleton St. They were recruiting one of my guys a couple of years ago. Told me they had big plans with the new president. Only an hour outside of Fort Worth. If you are flying into Love field it is such an easier commute than going to UNT.
I’m of the same mindset as a previous poster. Wherever we are, just win. Don’t care what level it is. Idc if it is the OVC, MAC, SBC, or CUSA… I have an opinion on where I would “like to be” selfishly because of where I am located. Bottom line, just win and gain back the support that has been lost over the past 5 years.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Look, Tarleton State might be something special in 10-15 years........but that's 10 to 15 years down the road.

They JUST joined FCS football this year. They are not ready for FBS any time soon.

I'm sorry, but there has to be better candidates. And if there's not, we seriously need to reconsider our desire to continue our athletics programs.

I personally do not want to take a time machine to 1999 and start all over again. I'd rather shut it all down and be put out of my misery. This has become unadulterated masochism at this point.

I’ll vouch for Tarleton St. They were recruiting one of my guys a couple of years ago. Told me they had big plans with the new president. Only an hour outside of Fort Worth. If you are flying into Love field it is such an easier commute than going to UNT.
I’m of the same mindset as a previous poster. Wherever we are, just win. Don’t care what level it is. Idc if it is the OVC, MAC, SBC, or CUSA… I have an opinion on where I would “like to be” selfishly because of where I am located. Bottom line, just win and gain back the support that has been lost over the past 5 years.

That's me. I'm selfish and want conference mates close to me. Marshall, Ohio, App State, or step down to FCS and make it ETSU. But in reality if we win no matter who it is, I'll be more willing to take a farther trip. No desire to do that right now.

The best scenario right now is bring up ASUN ASAP. That is it. Doesn’t appear MAC and Sun Belt are options for us. Independent in football and ASUN all sports until they make the move. Liberty would be along too if they decide to. It is either that or pull some Missouri Valley teams as well. A part of me says screw regionality and go get NDSU, SDSU, etc. Of course then we still wouldn’t win our conference.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I live in the Ft Worth area and Tarleton State getting in the same conference as MT would pretty much be the nail in the coffin as far as me being a fan anymore. They are not ready to leapfrog anyone else. There must be better programs. Sam Houston is a good candidate.

Quite frankly people around here JOKE about Tarleton St. They view it as a community college. I remember a parent saying their son got a scholarship offer there and the dad immediately shot it down as not a real college. Again - maybe 10-15 years down the road they prove themselves And at that point they can join a bigger conference. But I am 100% serious that school is not viewed in a positive light in this WHOLE area. It’s viewed as a community college! I’ve known kids to go there and no offense but they’re are the kids who don’t have opportunities anywhere else. Academically and athletically. Trust me. Is that what we want to align with? People Would laugh if they joined CUSA in complete shock.

Re : Tarleton State.

They just jumped to FCS in 2020. So it'd be possible for that they'd have a RS-SR in 2023 or 2024 who was originally recruited to play Division II football.

Wish I could be as optimistic about things working to our favor 5,10,15 years from now. Obviously, winning cures many problems. But, if athletic department or a university cannot garner consistent support and engagement from alumni and community, then many efforts of loyalists become futile and fan base continues to shrink. Couple this thought with ineffective (at best) to incompetent and negligent decisions (at worst) as a university and this is why we will be athletically homeless if a miracle doesn’t materialize. Our academic and athletics peers and mission will become community colleges or a branch campus of a larger university rather than being a primary research and terminal degreed university. And, maybe thats the intent?

Our athletics situation is like a corporation depicted by Sears and KMart: still existing, but considerably smaller and far less relevant than 5-10 years ago, or a generation ago in my college days. That’s evidenced by de-emphasis on Blue Raider Network properties and not being on local television. Why can’t we afford to broadcast 1-2 football games a year on WSMV (did in early 90s), WTVF or WKRN? I’m sure we could find suitable time outside of network schedule to arrange. That gets local eyeballs interested…like we see with Tennessee Titans. The Titans can be on ESPN or NFL Network, but one of the local over the air stations will broadcast. WBKO-13 ABC network affiliate in Bowling Green did this with WKU games even dating to OVC days in 70s/early 80s. I’ll underscore what I posted at least five years ago—-if we cannot garner brand loyalty in 37132, 30, 29, 28, 27, etc where else can we?

It may be too late to fix now short of a miracle as our 23 years of FBS efforts are flushing down a toilet.

You guys know me well enough that football is the last thing I am thinking about. Wiley and others will continually talk about football. I get that it is the major driver of revenue for all sports, but as I said before. I checked out a long time ago in football. My concern is basketball. That’s why I really don’t care the conference we get in to. Just win. It’d be a nice change for us.

Leadership is critical. These guys gotta go.

I’d bet we all would come off a ledge if they were replaced. I don’t trust them in any conference.

I have my thoughts about conference but my personal investment and time will be nothing until they are gone.

I think leaving the belt was a bad move. I thought it would be a step up to leave but boy was I wrong.

Is there any way to let them know what we think? The worry and concern? Maybe wake them up? I know. If the last ten years of attendance hasn't shown them what will. But still. I've tagged CM a few times on Twitter. Probably pointless but at least I can say I tried. I know others have emailed so no response but hey, you tried.

Leadership is critical. These guys gotta go.

I’d bet we all would come off a ledge if they were replaced. I don’t trust them in any conference.

I have my thoughts about conference but my personal investment and time will be nothing until they are gone.

I think leaving the belt was a bad move. I thought it would be a step up to leave but boy was I wrong.
Exactly. With these two colossal failures in place, nothing else will matter. The failure, decay, and rot will continue.

Whatever conference is almost pointless and futile as long as they are the leadership of MTSU.

Is there any way to let them know what we think? The worry and concern? Maybe wake them up? I know. If the last ten years of attendance hasn't shown them what will. But still. I've tagged CM a few times on Twitter. Probably pointless but at least I can say I tried. I know others have emailed so no response but hey, you tried.
Try to reach out to the MTSU Regents who have authority and responsibly for this debacle?

This is a state institution, perhaps attempting to reach out to elected state officials might stir up some state level curiosity?

Being here in Murfreesboro, I've been considering contacting my state rep as I think he might even be a professor at MTSU in addition to a state rep.

At this point, it all seems fairly pointless. Who knows, maybe it's worth a shot?

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT