ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Column: Better Days on the Horizon

Good to hear someone calling out the lack of recruiting the past few years. The talent level has been a major issue around MT for a long time. We just didn't match up with the talent at other CUSA schools quite honestly and that's sad. But it's a new day hopefully with some new energy.

Reactions: ewglenn
Just as you said. Xs and Os. We don't know how that will translate on to the field yet, but the hope is absolutely there because of what he has done so far.

Off the field in staff age and experience blend, recruiting in the portal as well as locally, community engagement, NIL, fundraising, campus connections to other sports, Spring Game, etc. You have to give the guy an A+ so far.

Great article.

I’m excited and looking forward to the season for the first time in a long time. There’s no reason this program can’t be at the top of CUSA every year and we finally have a HC that seems to get it all - recruiting, development, coaching, fan relations.

I’ll be there in blue August 31st.

The optimism is nice. The excitement is great. This program hasn't had these things for a long time and they were desperately needed.

With that, color me skeptical. Gonna have to show me some results before I am convinced we are recruiting clearly superior athletes vs. previous staff.

At the very least, it will be an interesting season with all the new faces on the field and brand new staff. Not a single Stockstill assistant was retained. 100% full reboot.

The optimism is nice. The excitement is great. This program hasn't had these things for a long time and they were desperately needed.

With that, color me skeptical. Gonna have to show me some results before I am convinced we are recruiting clearly superior athletes vs. previous staff.

At the very least, it will be an interesting season with all the new faces on the field and brand new staff. Not a single Stockstill assistant was retained. 100% full reboot.
As I said in the article, fans shouldn’t get carried away with expectations for 2024. I think 6-6 is doable

Look at the offer list for targets. They are swimming with bigger fish

As I said in the article, fans shouldn’t get carried away with expectations for 2024. I think 6-6 is doable
I agree. Should that be the expectation for years 2-3? No. Should be more. By year 3 especially. But for year one just making a bowl is 100% acceptable and I think doable as well.

Reactions: Hop45 and ewglenn
I agree. Should that be the expectation for years 2-3? No. Should be more. By year 3 especially. But for year one just making a bowl is 100% acceptable and I think doable as well.

I think this is reasonable. A bowl in season one is doable.

I remember reading an interview with a coach that said something like you recruit 2 years ahead - i.e. the relationships you build with sophs and juniors are what pays off when they are senior recruits. So, it's going to take at least a class or two to see the real results on the recruiting trail.

The portal will help us accelerate that though.

That said, even under Stockstill, this program never cratered. It's got too much going for it, and to be frank, much of the competition is meh and has some structural problems we don't have (geography, demographics, budget, etc).

Bowl this year, contention next year, championship drive in year 3, Win a title (or else) by year 5.

This year we’ve got 2 P4 teams on the schedule and a very strong Memphis team (G5 CFP caliber). Expectations are obviously going to be dialed back with that OOC schedule. Starting next season we get back to the one P4 game, two G5 games and one FCS game. That’s how our OOC schedules should be to avoid a train wreck going into October. I fully expect to go 1-3 OOC this fall so going 5-3 in conference is solid for year 1 expectations.

Great article.

I’m excited and looking forward to the season for the first time in a long time. There’s no reason this program can’t be at the top of CUSA every year and we finally have a HC that seems to get it all - recruiting, development, coaching, fan relations.

I’ll be there in blue August 31st.
Thinking of GoMiddle get together tailgate for the opener

I can’t access it anymore because I don’t have LL access but I put something up there probably about six or seven years ago where I talked about how I have studied business cycles since my days in the Jones College of Business. Not sure if they still do it or not but I had a class where we actually managed a real $100K portfolio.

Anyway, I found a way to apply that business cycle model to athletics performance. Kind of crude but back then I said we would basically be in a bearish pattern until about ‘24 or ‘25. Can’t recall details exactly so maybe it was ‘23 but would be interested in seeing what I wrote then if anyone in LL finds it.

I can’t access it anymore because I don’t have LL access but I put something up there probably about six or seven years ago where I talked about how I have studied business cycles since my days in the Jones College of Business. Not sure if they still do it or not but I had a class where we actually managed a real $100K portfolio.

Anyway, I found a way to apply that business cycle model to athletics performance. Kind of crude but back then I said we would basically be in a bearish pattern until about ‘24 or ‘25. Can’t recall details exactly so maybe it was ‘23 but would be interested in seeing what I wrote then if anyone in LL finds it.
Do you know any phrases you might have said? I can try and dig for it.

Can you not do PMs here anymore? I can’t find how to send one now

I do and it pulls up old chats but no way to start a new one
Everything good on my end. Just click the message box top right and click start new conversation. I’ll tell Josh my boss if you still have issues

Is it a paid member feature? It definitely doesn’t show up that way on mine.

If we do it, should it be for the opener or homecoming?

The opener is probably the better bet for a bigger crowd. Mason's going to get that new coach interest bump, there's no real competition for eyeballs with other schools as its kind of a dead week (I think Clemson v UGA is the only top 25 matchup that might get some local interest), everyone's going to be pumped for new football season, etc.

Our homecoming could conflict with UTk vs Oklahoma, Michigan v USC, and a couple of other top 25 matchups.

And I hate to be that guy, but we could easily be 1-2 by homecoming if we don't beat WKU, and we have seen how our crowds dwindle with losses.

I'm trying to convince my buddies to come down for Tech. They are trying to convince me to stay and go up to Morgantown for the WVU/Penn St game that same day. I may just end up sucking it up and coming down by myself as my wife isn't about to drive 7hrs with me for a football game. If not I'll come down for Duke or WKU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT