ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Zoom Webinar about basketball season set for Oct. 22

"I don't know about you Chip, but I'm excited about another year of blown 1st half leads and turnovers. We might not get a lot of wins, but I think we're going to see more moral victories this year."

• Haha
Reactions: FranklinRaider315
The hoops program is in worse shape than football.

McPhee botched ‘this hire and CNM will never secure a winning season here. Our entire athletics dept is in a complete death spiral.

Would like to see this presentation but don't know the first thing about Zoom. Thought it was for use in a group setting where all were expected to participate? Why can't the event just be streamed as we did years ago?

Would like to see this presentation but don't know the first thing about Zoom. Thought it was for use in a group setting where all were expected to participate? Why can't the event just be streamed as we did years ago?
Have been retired over 6 years and have become pretty adept at it. Our church has been using it, I’m a CASA for a couple of foster kids here in north ATL, and our court hearings the past 6+ months have been via Zoom too. Heck, our HOA monthly board meetings use it too.
It’s pretty simple to log into, and navigate some links at the top of the screen. I imagine they want to use this platform as it allows interaction with your audience. If it was streamed, would think it would be what we use to call when I was working a data or information dump. In other words, the MT administration would be doing a presentation, but unable to get feedback or questions from their audience. Zoom allows that type of back & forth.
Our youngest daughter went to work for them a few months ago as a sales mgr. Their stock prices is up $400 from last May.

My neighbor is a retiree and received a letter stating current season ticket holders would be assigned a date and time to come pick a seat. Gonna allow 3000 people in for games. Your date and time to pick an available seat would be based on your BRAA membership status. Didn't explain about non-BRAA members, but I can only assume they get the leftovers.

The hoops program is in worse shape than football.

McPhee botched ‘this hire and CNM will never secure a winning season here. Our entire athletics dept is in a complete death spiral.

Agree to disagree. It's no secret our transfers from last season that had to sit out routinely took our starters behind the woodshed during practice. We will see huge improvements this season.

Agree to disagree. It's no secret our transfers from last season that had to sit out routinely took our starters behind the woodshed during practice. We will see huge improvements this season.

And you know this how? This is just nothing but trying to find hope that maybe the pilot will be able to pull up before creating a crater.

I don’t doubt it’s true because I could have gone over to the Rec center and found five guys that could have played with this team. I just don’t buy it. But even if it is true CNM cant coach fundamentals and can’t coach defense. That playground ball can work at Asheville where he was always able to recruit better “athletes” than the rest of league he was in but this is a different level. In this league you have to be fundamentally sound and you have to be able to play defense.

Any of you who believes we’re going to put a team on the floor that competes in the top of this conference you're just pissing into the wind and setting yourself up for a huge disappointment.

Well. Yeah. It’s because we suck. It’s hard to find optimism in an athletic dept that makes a train wreck look good.

Sigma- you should know that you can't bring anything that resembles optimism here.. MT01 would rather believe in his previous false narratives.. where Forbes and Odom were passed on by MT vs their declinations for other reasons and despite how reality has played out for both of those guys.. Ryan should've struck when the iron was hot and he had some good offers after the Cinderella run.. in time he'll be fine as well so long as he pulls the Retrievers back up- momentum is a fickle thing even without coaching changes and with success...

Sigma- you should know that you can't bring anything that resembles optimism here.. MT01 would rather believe in his previous false narratives.. where Forbes and Odom were passed on by MT vs their declinations for other reasons and despite how reality has played out for both of those guys.. Ryan should've struck when the iron was hot and he had some good offers after the Cinderella run.. in time he'll be fine as well so long as he pulls the Retrievers back up- momentum is a fickle thing even without coaching changes and with success...

False narratives? You're now just starting to make up stuff and you want to talk about false narratives? Forbes never even gave us a second look. In fact, I don't even believe he bothered to interview with us. And I most certainly never said anything otherwise (except I would have liked to have had him). But Odom was a different story. And I'm sorry that your buddy wasn't first on the AD's list. They had agreed to the terms of the deal but need the President to sign off. You should take solace in the fact that the President liked CNM enough to reject the one point of contention on the deal with Odom and is giving CNM what amounts to over $100,000 per win so far. And you think it's ok to come here and be salty to us. GTFO!

The only one living in fantasy and fallacy land is you. Here's a lack of fallacy for you. 14-44 against D-1 and in most of those losses not even competitive.

Last edited:
False narratives? You're now just starting to make up stuff and you want to talk about false narratives? Forbes never even gave us a second look. In fact, I don't even believe he bothered to interview with us. And I most certainly never said anything otherwise (except I would have liked to have had him). But Odom was a different story. And I'm sorry that your buddy wasn't first on the AD's list. They had agreed to the terms of the deal but need the President to sign off. You should take solace in the fact that the President liked CNM enough to reject the one point of contention on the deal with Odom and is giving CNM what amounts to over $100,000 per win so far. And you think it's ok to come here and be salty to us. GTFO!

The only one living in fantasy and fallacy land is you. Here's a lack of fallacy for you. 14-44 against D-1 and in most of those losses not even competitive.

Not salty.. just pointing out that you're living in the past and seem to be miserable all of the time.. it's a new season, give the kids a chance.. it's not like there aren't positive signs but again that doesn't fit your narrative.

Not salty.. just pointing out that you're living in the past and seem to be miserable all of the time.. it's a new season, give the kids a chance.. it's not like there aren't positive signs but again that doesn't fit your narrative.

It's not my narrative. It's just a fact of the situation. I would love nothing more than to be wrong, but third year in still waiting for any evidence to the contrary. What are the positive signs? What can you point to that's objective and not subjective that provides any positive indicators?

It is beyond me why anyone would use CNM's first season here as any kind of benchmark.

Was last season a disappointment? Of course. It was disappointing for anyone who cares about this program. But what do you expect when the best players on the team weren't even eligible? That wasn't CNM's fault. IMO, this upcoming season should give us our first real look at what kind of a coach he can be. Honestly, the only thing I'm judging him on right now is recruiting, and frankly, I would give him an A.

MT01, I'm pretty sure I know who you are, and I can confidently say you care a helluva lot for the program. Just like the rest of us. We are all down right now because of the dumpster fire that is the football program. But try to give CNM the benefit of the doubt on the upcoming season. Will be a totally different team than what we have been seeing. I'm pumped for it.

Reactions: 1985trueblue
It's not my narrative. It's just a fact of the situation. I would love nothing more than to be wrong, but third year in still waiting for any evidence to the contrary. What are the positive signs? What can you point to that's objective and not subjective that provides any positive indicators?

If you're wanting objective reasoning then you should have said "second year in"- since you're already counting a third year before it's actually started I'm assuming it's safe to point towards the 9 new players that will be able to contribute in this 3rd year.. the recruiting speaks for itself, although it wasn't nearly as quick as many would've preferred.. I wouldn't give CNM an 'A' like MT01 since there are some obvious misses as well but the tide seems to have changed.. how do these recruits look on paper compared to other MTSU classes? I'd imagine that's a positive sign.. time will tell if that means anything but it's something to look forward to seeing.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
From the moment CNM, was hired, and it became obvious that he wasn't being left with much, I said I would wait until Jan, 2021 before I judged him. Like most on here, I'm not liking what I've seen so far, but there's still that hope that SigmaNu will be right.

If Coleman-Jones is immediately eligible (?), would it be fair to compare him and Elias King to Mike Dean, Cuffee, and Steve Thomas as far as benchmark for recruiting? Similar to CNM, Kermit wasn't left with much excluding Tommy Gunn.

Before Reggie, who was Kermit's biggest HS signee? The fact that CNM was able to get Jackson and Fussell when the program was as down as it was speaks volumes to me.

I may end up being wrong, hope I'm not. But I'm fairly optimistic for this season.

To be clear kingaling I used third year in because you talked about there's reason to be positive here at the beginning of the third season. That's why I referenced third year instead of two seasons.

Here's why I have no optimism and this is what I've repeatedly tried to explain about this style and philosophy of basketball. I'm going to do two things here. 1) I'm going to reduce emotion and vitriol and attempt to make an honest and objective point here. 2) I'm going to admit I probably don't know as much about basketball as someone like kingaling. I've been a baseball guy all my life and know far more about football than I do hoops. But I've been around athletics most of my life and worked in both professional and collegiate circles. I've seen what it takes to have a championship culture and mindset and I've seen what the opposite looks like.

With CNM's philosophy, he has to significantly out recruit the opposition, because the focus on pace, offense, and outscoring opponents requires it. I've probably said this a dozen times now. The places this works is at blue chips where the best players go or low-major where a coach can literally out athlete the conference opponents. This is why CNM was able to have great success in the Big South but has never had any meaningful out of conference scalps.

As we look at this year, I don't see any four stars on the roster and that's literally what he's going to have to consistently recruit to win here, because Western, La Tech, UAB, Charlotte, etc., heck even the F_A schools are going to play hard nose defense. In other words, we're going to be going up against teams with equal offensive talent, but those teams are going to play a much more efficient style of defensive basketball because of the philosophy. Sure, once CNM gets all his type of guys in we may have one game where we bury a good conference foe by 30 (because everyone was on and we couldn't miss a shot) but then turn around a few days later and lose to a bottom half team because we jacked up threes from midcourt all night that didn't go in and the opponent got a bunch of easy points in transition. Just one example that comes to mind.

Even if we can admit we have better players that's not necessarily going to translate into wins. I mean - yeah - the first year was difficult but we watched guys who were here before suddenly not be able to dribble or catch the basketball and certainly no one played a lick of defense. Is our defensive efficiency going to improve just because we have a couple of better scorers on the team this year? Even in games last year where the team had a good game, CNM still ended up getting out coached and losing games that were well in grasp. These are the reasons why I have very little optimism.

I will say this; however. Although I suspect completing the season is probably going pretty low due to what's going to happen this late fall and winter with this freaking COVID crap - if he shows me better approach to the game and produces a plus .500 season this year I will give him a chance. And by that I'm not counting however many glorified D2 scrimmages they come up with. If he gets above .500 I will then be quiet for a while about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
you have to give nick a pass on first year it was a train wreck. Second year a disappointment with some valid excuses. Too many I guys. This year needs to show much improvement with some temperament big guy transfers have lots of stars but they are still young. I sure hope we get to play because I see future much brighter. From a star’s prospective this will be most talent we’ve had on floor ever I believe. Hoping for a much better season. We sure need it the last couple of years have been long in blue raider country

Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
To be clear kingaling I used third year in because you talked about there's reason to be positive here at the beginning of the third season. That's why I referenced third year instead of two seasons.

Here's why I have no optimism and this is what I've repeatedly tried to explain about this style and philosophy of basketball. I'm going to do two things here. 1) I'm going to reduce emotion and vitriol and attempt to make an honest and objective point here. 2) I'm going to admit I probably don't know as much about basketball as someone like kingaling. I've been a baseball guy all my life and know far more about football than I do hoops. But I've been around athletics most of my life and worked in both professional and collegiate circles. I've seen what it takes to have a championship culture and mindset and I've seen what the opposite looks like.

With CNM's philosophy, he has to significantly out recruit the opposition, because the focus on pace, offense, and outscoring opponents requires it. I've probably said this a dozen times now. The places this works is at blue chips where the best players go or low-major where a coach can literally out athlete the conference opponents. This is why CNM was able to have great success in the Big South but has never had any meaningful out of conference scalps.

As we look at this year, I don't see any four stars on the roster and that's literally what he's going to have to consistently recruit to win here, because Western, La Tech, UAB, Charlotte, etc., heck even the F_A schools are going to play hard nose defense. In other words, we're going to be going up against teams with equal offensive talent, but those teams are going to play a much more efficient style of defensive basketball because of the philosophy. Sure, once CNM gets all his type of guys in we may have one game where we bury a good conference foe by 30 (because everyone was on and we couldn't miss a shot) but then turn around a few days later and lose to a bottom half team because we jacked up threes from midcourt all night that didn't go in and the opponent got a bunch of easy points in transition. Just one example that comes to mind.

Even if we can admit we have better players that's not necessarily going to translate into wins. I mean - yeah - the first year was difficult but we watched guys who were here before suddenly not be able to dribble or catch the basketball and certainly no one played a lick of defense. Is our defensive efficiency going to improve just because we have a couple of better scorers on the team this year? Even in games last year where the team had a good game, CNM still ended up getting out coached and losing games that were well in grasp. These are the reasons why I have very little optimism.

I will say this; however. Although I suspect completing the season is probably going pretty low due to what's going to happen this late fall and winter with this freaking COVID crap - if he shows me better approach to the game and produces a plus .500 season this year I will give him a chance. And by that I'm not counting however many glorified D2 scrimmages they come up with. If he gets above .500 I will then be quiet for a while about it.

". . , I don't see any four stars on the roster . . ."

Both King and Coleman-Jones were rated 4 star players out of high school by some rating services. Transfer Jordan Davis along with Jackson and Fussell are all 3 star. We've never had as many 2+ players on the roster at one time and even if Coleman-Jones is not eligible this year all will be eligible in '21-'22. Davis may have had a couple of three or 4 star players (transfers) but I don't remember any high schoolers such as McDevitt has recruited in consecutive years with Jackson and Fussell. Davis' highest rated high schooler, IIRC, was Josh Phillips who was rated 2.5. Even Upshaw was only a 2.25, again IIRC.
I have repeatedly stated that one fault I saw with McDevitt was that he or his assistants didn't have a list of players to bring in immediately but I can't fault the caliber of players we see on the roster today. Now, let's give McDevitt a chance to see what he can do with them.

I can't fault the caliber of players we see on the roster today. Now, let's give McDevitt a chance to see what he can do with them.
This roster has talent and experience. If Nick doesn't win with these guys, then he likely won't win in future years either.

Last edited:
Can anyone give the status of Coleman-Jones' appeal. Have we given up on seeing him this year? If so, what differentiates him from the other two transfers in this years' class?

With the rule change coming in January, he will more than likely get eligible.

Reactions: Danielhammaker
If you're wanting objective reasoning then you should have said "second year in"- since you're already counting a third year before it's actually started I'm assuming it's safe to point towards the 9 new players that will be able to contribute in this 3rd year.. the recruiting speaks for itself, although it wasn't nearly as quick as many would've preferred.. I wouldn't give CNM an 'A' like MT01 since there are some obvious misses as well but the tide seems to have changed.. how do these recruits look on paper compared to other MTSU classes? I'd imagine that's a positive sign.. time will tell if that means anything but it's something to look forward to seeing.

This dude again? Sh!tty basketball must be right around the corner. LOL.

Last edited:
Let's see if his hero taught them dudes how to pass the ball without turning it over. I mean it's year 3. I bet they got it down. The defense might allow less than 100 a game. Let's dust off that trophy case. We are back. LOL.

Maybe Kermit will finally wear out his welcome and come back home after we are done with this dude, Massaro is not capable of being that proactive though so in the end, none of this matters.

Last edited:
Let's see if his hero taught them dudes how to pass the ball without turning it over. I mean it's year 3. I bet they got it down. The defense might allow less than 100 a game. Let's dust off that trophy case. We are back. LOL.

Maybe Kermit will finally wear out his welcome and come back home after we are done with this dude, Massaro is not capable of being that proactive though so in the end, none of this matters.

The position you would want Kermit in would be AD, to be able to raise funds and effectively manage the department.

How did this become a bash McDevitt and kingaling42 thread?

Regardless, I did watch the webinar yesterday - some takeaways which are, to me at least, new info if you don't want to watch the replay.:

C-USA changed the capacity requirement to 15% after the letter sent was sent to season ticket holders. In The Murph 15 % is approx. 1725. Don't know if cheerleaders, pep band, etc., are included. Capacity could change as pandemic conditions change.

Don't know what the holdup is on men's schedule since women's has been out several weeks. Men's conference schedule will probably mirror the women's. No games with the four Texas schools under the new plan. Men's OOC includes home (IIRC) with Murray, Chattanooga, and Ole Miss. Men couldn't work out a date for Belmont for this year. Season will start on Nov. 23rd at the Gulf Coast Classic (teams not announced yet which could be the holdup on getting our schedule out).

Women's schedule is reduced to 25 games and one would assume the men's is likewise. No new news from Insell with the exception of talking about working to the changes to the schedule. Nothing new on the players. Massaro did mention that men's away tickets would be impossible and women's would be also at places like WKU but at many places women draw so few that roadies may be able to attend some LR away games.

Disappointed that McDevitt didn't talk specifically about any of the players (unless in the first few minutes which I missed). Would like to have heard his comments on how, after a few days practice, the players are doing, especially the new guys.

Last edited:
If that was all that was said on the zoom call, that is the biggest waste of breath I've seen in a while come from an athletic department and something that could have been stated in a tweet.

How did this become a bash McDevitt and kingaling42 thread?

Regardless, I did watch the webinar yesterday - some takeaways which are, to me at least, new info.:

C-USA changed the capacity requirement to 15% after the letter sent was sent to season ticket holders. In The Murph 15 % is approx. 1725. Don't know if cheerleaders, pep band, etc., are included. Capacity could change as pandemic conditions change.

Don't know what the holdup is on men's schedule since women's has been out several weeks. Men's conference schedule will probably mirror the women's. No games with the four Texas schools under the new plan. Men's OOC includes home (IIRC) with Murray, Chattanooga, and Ole Miss. Men couldn't work out a date for Belmont for this year. Season will start on Nov. 23rd at the Gulf Coast Classic (teams not announced yet which could be the holdup on getting our schedule out).

Women's schedule is reduced to 25 games and one would assume the men's is likewise. No new news from Insell with the exception of talking about working to the changes to the schedule. Nothing new on the players. Massaro did mention that men's away tickets would be impossible and women's would be also at places like WKU but at many places women draw so few that roadies may be able to attend some LR away games.

Disappointed that McDevitt didn't talk specifically about any of the players (unless in the first few minutes which I missed). Would like to have heard his comments on how, after a few days practice, the players are doing, especially the new guys.

I'm bashing CNM until he does something worth not bashing. The webinar is a waste of breath.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT