ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL your thought on how things go in Blacksburg?

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
I would like to think the Raiders have a puncher's chance, but realistically, I think it's likely a romp by VT that gets started early and a score that resembles last Saturday's game with Monmouth.

48-17 bad guys win.

If that huge mob they had for UNC shows up again this weekend it might get ugly quickly. Fuente will step on the gas in order to cover.
”You play nonconference games for postseason recognition, and it starts with Middle Tennessee this Saturday.", Justin Fuente.

42-7 Hokies

Last edited:
Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
It's really hard to say. I still don't think we know where are at. I don't think the coaches even know yet where we are with this team. The defense was as advertised against Monmouth and the offense did okay after some adjustments but 1. It's an FCS team and 2. They were missing their 3 best players on defense. That's a pretty big deal. And we still didn't look good early on offense despite them missing so many players. It felt like 3 or 4 three-and-out's before we even got a first down. Monmouth was in control of that game until we returned that punt. We've still yet to kick a FG but the extra points have been solid. But can we consistently make a kick?

I know our defense will be ready to roll in Blacksburg. Zero concerns there. I am concerned about still missing Jalen Jackson and Quincy Riley though. This is a big loss IMO. Quincy Riley is a potential NFL caliber player. Decorian Patterson and Teldrick Ross are fine back up DB's and would start at half the schools in CUSA, but we're even better with Jalen and Quincy out there. I do worry about depth at corner if Patterson or Ross get injured/covid. I'm not confident in our 3rd string corner's and beyond. Still, I believe our defense will hold up assuming our offense doesn't leave them out on the field all game like last year. Any defense, including ours, will eventually cave if our offense doesn't hold up their end of the bargain.

And back to that offense. I'm still very skeptical of Hockman. If he plays well at VT I'll put those concerns to bed but I'm worried about turnovers. Last time he played VT he tossed 2 picks and was benched. What's he gonna do behind MT's OL? I'm very concerned about moving the chains, protecting the ball, and getting our offense going in Blacksburg. Monmouth shut our offense down early big time and that was with their 3 best players on defense not playing (LB, DE & DE). OL gonna have to open some holes against a much more talented VT front 7, Hockman gonna have to have crisp, confident passes and maybe a QB draw, RB's gonna have to make someone miss and get that extra few yards, WR's gonna have to win those 50-50 balls and make plays, etc. It will take a near flawless, herculean effort to win this game.

We can do it. I believe the talent is there. Can we execute? Can we force VT into some bad plays and mistakes? Can we out coach them and maybe do something special with special teams? You have to get creative and roll the dice sometimes in these games. At the end of the day I believe it's going to come down to running the ball. If we can run the ball and force them to respect it, then the pass opens up. It's all about getting them on tilt, moving the chains, protecting the football, and taking what the defense gives you. It's a numbers game these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: mtfblue
It’s better to play early games when being the road underdog. It’s great to be a classic trap game b/t UNC and WVU.

I feel like we play even or win 3 quarters, but lose the game overall. I’m thinking 31-21 VT.

Reactions: FootballKuato
I feel like we can cover and potentially win as the trap game but I will say it comes down to offense, as in we need some on Saturday. The fact that there isn't too much tape on Coach Dearmon (especially at MTSU) helps a little bit and hopefully Coach Dearmon adjusts the offense with shorter route to compensate for what will probably be very little time in the pocket and keep the chains moving. The Va Tech defense looked fierce so Offense will have their work cut out for them on Saturday.

We have all seen over the last two years what happens when the MTSU Defense is left on the field for 55-57% of the snaps and it isn't pretty. When I looked at the defensive depth chart earlier this week 8 of the 22 defensive players (1st/2nd lines) were 7 r-Fr and 1 Fr and while those guys have some experience from 2020 and they're basically going into their 3rd year I wouldn't want to leave them on the field for an extended amount of time, all defenses break down when offense can't convert consistently. I think if offense can give the D some rest the Defense will play inspired and help keep it within striking distance.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
As mentioned earlier we will need to establish a running attack to have a chance. Our OL couldn't open holes against Monmouth so I have zero faith they can against VT. I predict Hockman will be scrambling all day.
Defense will give up points early then buckle down until they finally run out of gas.
MT 17
VT 35

As mentioned earlier we will need to establish a running attack to have a chance. Our OL couldn't open holes against Monmouth so I have zero faith they can against VT.

Spread offenses use short passes as an extension to the run game. If we didn't open holes against Monmouth I'm not sure a week is long enough to get that corrected against a P5, but if Dearmon comes up with some creative 3x1 WR concepts to create natural picks combined with short route we can augment the run game to provide that chance.

I predict Hockman will be scrambling all day.

Comes down to game plan. Trying to run a Smash concept to DJ on the Fade you bet he'll be scrambling. RPO to Jaylin Lane (or any of out other stud WRs) on slant, turkey, or hitch routes and he should be fine.

Defense will give up points early then buckle down until they finally run out of gas.

It won't happen this way (hasn't anyways), Defense buckles down in the first half (keeps it within 10 or less) and finally run out of gas (maybe by the end of the half) if offense can't get it going. If offense holds, defense will hold but we're not Alabama, defense can't carry the team on their shoulders they can do their part and generate a turnover or two (wouldn't count on four this week).

The interesting write up on by Va Tech beat writers is they have concerns on Va Tech's WR's ability to create separation but the seem upbeat about their run game. Usually if WR's can't create separation that allows defenses to stack the box which should reinforce the buckle down early theory as the run game wears on you over time which causes defenses to get gashed late in the game.

Should be an interesting game.

Reactions: Brew_Raider
I was really happy with last week but that doesn't give me any confidence against a P5 team. If the Hokies can hold a (former) Heisman candidate to 10 points, I don't see us doing any better. When they have the ball, they'll apparently want to run and I don't think we'll be able to consistently stop it.

VT - 41
MT - 3

I was really happy with last week but that doesn't give me any confidence against a P5 team. If the Hokies can hold a (former) Heisman candidate to 10 points, I don't see us doing any better. When they have the ball, they'll apparently want to run and I don't think we'll be able to consistently stop it.

VT - 41
MT - 3
The only thing I'll add is that we won't ve able to run the ball either, which will make us one dimensional and will lead to interceptions and sacks.

It'll be close for a bit. Hope raised. Then depth and the lack of running game late will rear its ugly interception and sack laden head.

Hope I'm wrong...
VT 35
MT 21

I watched the NC/VT game and to be honest, NC was way overrated. Their playcalling was bad and the execution was sloppy as all get out. VT beat them but they had beaten themselves way more than the hokies ever could. The fact of the matter is that VT should have throttled them and they didn't which tells me that we have a slight chance. VT couldn't deliver the killshot and that was with NC teeing it up for them.

How does a team that has 8 wins in 2020 (the same number as a Hockman led NC state team) get a top 10 ranking? It makes no sense. Then a 5 win VT team beats them and gets a 19 ranking. It's overhyping to say the least. VT has players and size no doubt but to treat them like Michigan in 2019 or even Iowa in 2019 is crazy to me.

Last edited:
For those that are interested (follow up to Kuato’s post), Dearmon gave a good clinic here.
Great video.... FOR ANY TEAM PLAYING US. Why in the hell would he put all of this out there and write a book on what he does? We won't ever run the ball well when they know we run 4 types of runs. SMH

Great video.... FOR ANY TEAM PLAYING US. Why in the hell would he put all of this out there and write a book on what he does? We won't ever run the ball well when they know we run 4 types of runs. SMH

Most coaches give away their base offense or defense at clinics. You can find 80-90% of almost any coach’s system at a clinic or on YouTube. It’s the recruiting, execution, specific game week planning and in game adjustments that make the difference.

What Dearmon’s videos show is that our success depends on Bailey’s decision making and our ability to block when we have an advantage. I’m really curious how Mallory was able to adapt to Dearmon’s blocking scheme (I expect poorly) & the fit passing concept to keep the Sam LB out of the box in run support. Dearmon emphasized that his offense is run first. We pass because of what the defense does.

If you can't execute your four base runs then you can't run even if you have eight runs, repetition is key not overly complex playbook. At our High School our base runs are Isolation, Power, Counter, and Toss...sure we have a Jet Sweep and a "Base" play which is Isolation with blocking twist but that's it. Most teams focus on the window dressing (AKA Formations, Motion etc).

As @Brew_Raider pointed out you might change the blocking assignments up front based on Defensive Alignment or you might deprioritize a run based on those alignments and expect to focus on the others.

Last edited:
I hear y'all. I just see any other coaches stuff up on youtube. :)
Usually it's behind a paywall on the Glazier Clinic, they record all the sessions and post it up for Glazier customers. Wouldn't surprise me if the AFCA does it as well. The Brent Dearmon video is great for us because it allows us to watch the offense and have a rough idea of what's happening.

I have a VT grad buddy who says the VT Defensive weakness is pass coverage in middle of the field. Stated VT has two lights out corners who are probably NFL bound at some point, he also stated their strength is man-to-man coverage which combined with the Brent Dearmon video make you think about the "8" play with the skinny post and dual slants is a concept that could work. Obviously Dearmon isn't reading gomiddle for advice but I can imagine if you want to attack the middle of the field he would use that inside slant if the Sam Linebacker gets in the run box. Something to think about when the game comes on this Saturday.

Fuente is gonna do like Minnesota and BYU did to Stock a few years ago. He’s gonna take his hogs, line up, burn clock and steamroll our undersized d-line and linebackers. Dearmon won’t have many chances if Fuente executes his game plan.
Wouldn't be smart, the better team should always press tempo. The goal of burning the clock is to impact the morale of the superior team to make them wonder why they aren't doing/performing better. On the flip side it makes the inferior team think "we're in this" and they fight harder.

If I'm a betting man VT will take some risks to try and see if they can make some plays "work" because their perception is we're inferior (maybe accurately) and even if not executing flawlessly they still might work, with the impression that they can win the game if they go back to fundamentals. A smart OC might throw some trash in there to make WV think it's something they need to defend next week and waste practice time.

Last edited:
In fairness, Fuente’s first two years were spent cleaning up after Tommy West and Larry Porter. Larry Porter at least left him a few players. West hadn’t actively recruited in 4 years when DeAngelo Williams was done after the 2005 season.

Strip the jinnies and Joes and go to the x's and o's and Stock is 2-1. Va Tech won 5 games last year. Not saying they won't destroy us tomorrow but VT ain't Michigan, Iowa or UGA. We have faced tougher teams in worse places. I like our D. If we keep them in front of us, who knows? If NC was an emotional win for them, they got a long season ahead of them because NC looked like a hot mess. We'll see what happens but VT is our toughest opponent besides Liberty. In fact, Liberty may be worse.

Fuente is gonna do like Minnesota and BYU did to Stock a few years ago. He’s gonna take his hogs, line up, burn clock and steamroll our undersized d-line and linebackers. Dearmon won’t have many chances if Fuente executes his game plan.
Don't forget Vanderbilt. I don't know about burning the clock, but they wear us out with the run because we're so outsized, then kill us with play action. We know the run is coming, but can't do anything about it other than give up at least 4 to 5 yards a run. It's demoralizing.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
College football is a game of emotion and execution. They are a much more talented team.

However, if we catch them flat in an early game and we execute better, we can beat them.

On offense, obviously can’t commit penalties and man’s turn the ball over. Besides that, we have to attack and get them out of Cover 1 or man under Cover 2, with the ability to pressure sending only 4. Bailey or Chase can’t hold the ball. If we can pressure the Sam/Will in the fix passing game, then we may be able to zone read into some decent running plays.

Defensively, need to have the DL hold their gaps and get lucky with some exotic pressures. If we blitz, we must get to the QB. Honestly, no way we hold them under 30 unless we force mistakes or they are flat.

They can bring their C game and beat us by 2-3 scores. That said, they are not so talented that with a few breaks we can’t go into the 4th quarter with a chance to steal this.

I expect to get dog stomped, but this is set up for a trap game.

College football is a game of emotion and execution. They are a much more talented team.

However, if we catch them flat in an early game and we execute better, we can beat them.

On offense, obviously can’t commit penalties and man’s turn the ball over. Besides that, we have to attack and get them out of Cover 1 or man under Cover 2, with the ability to pressure sending only 4. Bailey or Chase can’t hold the ball. If we can pressure the Sam/Will in the fix passing game, then we may be able to zone read into some decent running plays.

Defensively, need to have the DL hold their gaps and get lucky with some exotic pressures. If we blitz, we must get to the QB. Honestly, no way we hold them under 30 unless we force mistakes or they are flat.

They can bring their C game and beat us by 2-3 scores. That said, they are not so talented that with a few breaks we can’t go into the 4th quarter with a chance to steal this.

I expect to get dog stomped, but this is set up for a trap game.
😂. Well, you got all the bases covered. LOL!

A couple of our expert assistants weigh in……

"I would imagine they'll probably try to bully us some, because they're a lot bigger than us up front," defensive line coach Tommy West said. "And that's fine, we'll play with our pads down and play with great technique."

They do everything well," offensive line coach Mike Polly said. "They're a top 25 team for a reason, they beat a top ten team for a reason. They're a really really good football team, we give them all the credit. But we give every opponent all the credit."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT