ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Your prediction (score and attendance) for Latech???

I have a feeling this likely to be one of those like of those Marshall/wku battles we've had at Floyd in recent seasons. Could be an OT/multiple OT type games. I'm thinking 22k in attendance, and a score that reaches into the 50s or 60s, I'm saying 61-58 Raiders by the skin of their teeth.

You would think. LA TECH tickets are $24 each on the website. For a family of four, that's almost $100. Cheap is $7, not $24. There is, however, a good deal with the Blackout promotion. Ticket - endzone voucher - plus t-shirt for $15 total.

http://www.goblueraiders.com/news/2016/9/9/football-blackout-is-back.aspx
IMO, single-game tickets are overpriced at $24 and eliminates the "family night out" crowd and probably eliminates the casual fan's "guys night." This may explain why attendance has stagnated at 20,000 (+/-) over the past few years.

They need to offer a family four-pack season ticket package for $100-200 that includes four season tickets, four hot dogs, and four drinks, reduce the ticket prices, incentivize alumni, and a BRAA discount.

We always win when I predict us to lose, so I will go with:

Louisiana Tech 41, MT 30

Attendance: 17,431

In the discussion about pricing and tickets, I would add that I think at minimum there should be a steeply discounted season ticket price for kids 12 and under (maybe this could be accomplished via Austin's idea above). Kids ages 2 and under get in free, but as soon as a kid turns 3, that's another full price season ticket.

Perhaps this could be resolved through packaging a discount football season ticket with membership in the Blue Raider Kids Club. Membership in the BRKC is $10 for the year and they get a free football ticket for one game. I don't see why you couldn't make a perk of the membership be the option to purchase a season ticket for your kid(s) at approx. $40 for the whole season.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I know I'm in the minority but IMHO our FB tickets are too cheap.* No perceived value when fans know how much tickets cost, comparatively, for sporting events at other venues. Also little incentive to buy season tickets when it's common knowledge that promotions will offer better deals during the season.

*Not necessarily true for basketball. For example, fans can buy VU BkB season tickets for end zone balconies cheaper than any season tickets for MT. And they get to see more home games in most years and face it, a higher level of competition. But, this problem has more to do with the layout of Murphy Center and the resulting inability to enforce seating patterns therefore differentiating seating levels.

Perceived value doesn't have any meaning when you have a supply and demand problem.

Until we get to a 24-25K average we should focus our efforts on butts in the seats. Its about creating new fans right now. We simply don't have enough of them.

I know I'm in the minority but IMHO our FB tickets are too cheap.* No perceived value when fans know how much tickets cost, comparatively, for sporting events at other venues. Also little incentive to buy season tickets when it's common knowledge that promotions will offer better deals during the season.

*Not necessarily true for basketball. For example, fans can buy VU BkB season tickets for end zone balconies cheaper than any season tickets for MT. And they get to see more home games in most years and face it, a higher level of competition. But, this problem has more to do with the layout of Murphy Center and the resulting inability to enforce seating patterns therefore differentiating seating levels.

The problem is we have so few season tickets sold every year. This year, it is not even 5,000! Those season tickets ARE a great deal ... for $110 or whatever it is for all home games ... but 90% of the crowd waits to buy tickets on a single-game basis and that quite frankly is really dumb. The single game tickets are way too expensive compared to other schools.

Do you know how much a single game ticket was to the Miami-FAMU opener this year? $15! And how much do we charge for AAMU at MTSU? $20 each. Yes, we charged more for an FCS opponent than Miami did. There were more than 60k people at that Miami game with a new coach and new stadium.

Reactions: AustinLewis
Perceived value doesn't have any meaning when you have a supply and demand problem.

Until we get to a 24-25K average we should focus our efforts on butts in the seats. Its about creating new fans right now. We simply don't have enough of them.

100% agreed. The Athletic Department is definitely in this mindset, although what we see as execution might not always line up with that.

I don't know exactly what the Athletic Department should do but I do believe they need to focus on just a few groups to drive attendance.

- Current students; this isn't a more important fan, constantly create reasons for them to come - market directly to them. Make the section of the stadium a party. This is our quickest path to increase attendance for any given game - its free.

- Existing Season ticket holders; I bought 6 tickets this year so we could invite friends to attend the games. I have one daughter that is in dual enrollment so she is in for free. In the early days, if a group could get over 20 they would discount all the season tickets. In 2001, my group was over 100, I managed it all, in 2002 or 2003, they did away with the program and so my group shrunk. Come back with something similar - empower 1000 die hards to market your product.

after this it gets more tricky....we need more focus - rifle shots. I personally would forget Nashville, no casual fan is going to drive from Nashville to the Boro unless they are a graduate.

- Third group would be graduates in the last 10-15 years.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Perceived value requires perceived quality.

Apple can charge a premium for their products because their fans (of which I am one) perceive quality. The same goes for Nike, UnderArmour, and other premium brands.

Premium brands capitalize on opportunities. Premium brands expect (and sell) excellence.

MT FB, however, hasn't exactly put up a record of excellence with slightly over .500 career record without a solo conference championship since 2006.

FWIW, Massaro agrees with you. He came one of my athletic adminstration classes years ago and explained how he believes many promotions devalue you the product. He's right (to an extent).

However, if the perceived value of your product is minimal, a promotion can increase demand for your product:

You may remember McDonald's did a free coffee promotion a year or two ago. Every McDonald's I drove past in the was busy. I can guarentee you customers were getting more than the free coffee.

Or, if you want a more premium brand, look at Chick-Fil-A's Cow (CFA) Appreciation Day. Dress like a cow and get a free sandwhich/meal? Crazy idea. Yet, as a former employee at CFA, I can attest that customers also bought food too. Days like Cow Appreciation Day turned customers into "raving fans" (their term, no mine).

Spot on!
$24 bucks a ticket wouldn't be a problem if MT had 30,000 at every home game. Unfortunately, they hover around 20,000 (10,000 less than capacity).
Lower the price, use promotions, and build a fan base (i.e. Create demand). Once demand exceeds supply, jack the price up to the point where supply meets demand.

$24 is too much money for our demand and product. Lowering the price would definitely bring me and my old tailgaters back to more games.

younger, married alumni with small children need to be catered to. A lot of good ideas in this thread. Those with kids, their budgets are stretched thin and a lot are looking for the cheapest family event possible. It's the younger alumni we need to be gravitating our marketing to. It always worries when I see gray headed old farts and not a whole lot of younger families at MT events. And it worries me when I think ten or fifteen years down the road.

Our marketing folks need to look to what the Sounds are doing, what the Preds are doing, what a lot of minor league teams do to get fans coming to games.

And one of the first agenda items for a MT board when ever it comes into existence is to push for alcohol sales.

Small children is my issue, I don't want to pay the current full price ticket for a 3 and 5 year old who probably won't stay past halftime for a night game. That's why I usually end up at the games with ticket promotions

Exactly why I always say that we are missing out on so much more interest by charging ridiculous $24 a ticket rates ($18 in endzones isn't any better)! They need scaling ticket prices, more than just the "around $20" rate that is offered now.

Reactions: lotsofbull99
I'm going to wade into this again against my better judgment.

There's nothing any marketing whiz can do when the product is unappealing.

This program isn't successful in the eyes of the consumer.

Love it, hate it, complain about it all you want, call it fairweather, call it bandwagon, whatever- you're either winning championships or you're a loser.

6-6 seasons don't cut it. You can't sell this. You never will be able to sell this. Not all the fancy promos and giveaways and gimmicky uniform games can lipstick up this pig.

The product on the field has been producing 'Meh, it's ok" results. So we get "meh, it's ok" attendance.

This isn't a uniquely MT problem - large swaths of empty seats can be see in the SEC/B12/B10, etc when their respective teams aren't playing well.

All the free hot dogs and t-shirt tosses and B1G1 vouchers are nothing more then yelling Freebird at the band while standing on the deck of the Titanic. You're still going down, it just makes it a little more fun.

Solution - make the product better. How? Well, we're stock...er...stuck with what we have for a while. At this point, the only thing we can do is continue to invest in the program. IPF. Football facility. Bigger budget for recruiting. There is a direct correlation between $$$'s spent and wins. Stop spending money on fancy pants uniforms (hey, we at least look stylish while getting blown off the field!) and irrelevant promos that are unlikely to provide anything but a short term boost and invest in the program.

Reactions: dukewayne
I'm going to wade into this again against my better judgment.

There's nothing any marketing whiz can do when the product is unappealing.

This program isn't successful in the eyes of the consumer.
Yes!

Love it, hate it, complain about it all you want, call it fairweather, call it bandwagon, whatever- you're either winning championships or you're a loser.

6-6 seasons don't cut it. You can't sell this. You never will be able to sell this. Not all the fancy promos and giveaways and gimmicky uniform games can lipstick up this pig.

The product on the field has been producing 'Meh, it's ok" results. So we get "meh, it's ok" attendance.

This isn't a uniquely MT problem - large swaths of empty seats can be see in the SEC/B12/B10, etc when their respective teams aren't playing well.

All the free hot dogs and t-shirt tosses and B1G1 vouchers are nothing more then yelling Freebird at the band while standing on the deck of the Titanic. You're still going down, it just makes it a little more fun.
The irony of the college football's pursuit of the almighty television dollar is the combination of ESPN and HDTV make getting fans to the games a challenge. Let's see, I can either spend $50 bucks on two tickets for my wife and I, spend 2+ hours in the car driving to the Boro, and then another $20 bucks on concessions. When you add in gas, I just spent $100 bucks to on MT FB
Or
I grill burgers and watch the game from my own home in front of my big screen and spend only 10 bucks on beef and condiments....
Solution - make the product better. How? Well, we're stock...er...stuck with what we have for a while. At this point, the only thing we can do is continue to invest in the program. IPF. Football facility. Bigger budget for recruiting. There is a direct correlation between $$$'s spent and wins. Stop spending money on fancy pants uniforms (hey, we at least look stylish while getting blown off the field!) and irrelevant promos that are unlikely to provide anything but a short term boost and invest in the program.
Fancy pants and uniforms are recruiting. Kids love the shiny new helmets and jerseys.

My lovely wife has allowed me to spawn four progenies, or as I like to call it, fruit of my loins. I want to to enjoy the weekend with all of them being that I pretty much spend most of my waking days at work.

I know, I know...It was my choice to have four kids but man...6 people add up quick when buying tickets. I will take what I can get.

Oh...and Middle takes this. 35-28

If we were 3-0 I wonder if the apathy would be talked about in this thread.

Look, it's hard to be an MT fan. But I can't help myself! I would rather watch us than anyone.

I'm in the same boat. If I couldn't watch us play I doubt I would watch any college football at all.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Yeah, I really don't care about watching any other team, myself. The only interest I have in other games is how they impact Middle Tennessee.

I have extremely unhappy at times with the results, the coaches, the play calling, etc. But I never have let that keep me away. Over the years I have lived in other states and lived a stones throw from the stadium. Cold weather, hot weather, wet weather. Sat through it all

Been a football season ticket holder since 1979 (Boots' first year). The only home game I have missed this century was a home opener (Troy) back in 2008. I had been out of the hospital just a few days, recovering from major surgery. Still made it to the tailgate for a short stay, but just was not able to make to the game.

Prediction: La Tech 45 MT 41. As long as James is returning punts, I think we'll give away at least 7 points a game. Attendance 19,000.

Over the years, it seems RaiderDoug and I agree quite consistently on this marketing and attendance thing. He put it pretty much straight and to the point.

Bottomline, just win! After a reasonable period of winning, attendance problems will begin to resolve themselves.

Just as an example, UT has tremendous attendance with such historic success. Even UT had tons of empty seats during 5+ year stretch of losing. When UT is winning, I-24 is loaded with carloads of people driving 4 hours each way to get to Knoxville to pay big ticket prices to sit in cramped nose bleed seats. Ticket prices and what other games are on HDTV are a much smaller matter when your team is winning consistently.

On LaTech game, frankly I have no idea how this game is going to turn out. LaTech lost a lot of talent from last season, but Skip Holtz seems to be rebuilding rapidly. On attendance, I suspect 16,900. I will be pleasantly surprised if MT gets over 20K attendance this week. Had MT beat Vandy, I would have guessed just over 20K for attendance. Vandy loss + win in a BG game no one saw = 16,500-17,500.

I'm skiddish after the Vandy game. It just depends on how well Stock has the offense down which he clearly didn't in the Vandy game. This game is going to be a war!!!!

Stock settles down and plays Stockball and we win. MT 46 LT 45. We win by a last second field goal. Cant wait!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT