ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Your expectations for the 2019 season?

When you go game by game I see 4-5 wins. However, I think we find a way to win 6-7 games - I think our D will be about the same as last year which was decent. On the offense, we were not that good last year but found a way to win 8 games....

Who knows we may win just as many - in other words, I have no idea.

At Michigan - L
Tenn St - L
Duke - L
At Iowa - L
Marshall - W
At FAU - L
At N. Texas - L
FIU - L
At Charlotte - L (Healy will out motivate Stock)
Rice - W
ODU - W
At WKU - L

3-9

Reactions: MTOleBlue
At Michigan - L
Tenn St - L
Duke - L
At Iowa - L
Marshall - W
At FAU - L
At N. Texas - L
FIU - L
At Charlotte - L (Healy will out motivate Stock)
Rice - W
ODU - W
At WKU - L

3-9
I have 3-9 but my wins are Charlotte, Rice and ODU. No way we beat Marshall. They'll mash us up front like they always do.

I've got us at 6-6. Wins over Tenn St., FIU, Charlotte, Rice, ODU, WKU

At Michigan - L
Tenn St - W
Duke - W
At Iowa - L
Marshall - L
At FAU - L
At N. Texas - L
FIU - W
At Charlotte - W
Rice - W
ODU - W
At WKU - L

Start out bad and find a way to finish strong for 6-6

I will say, these are sometimes the teams that will catch fire and come up and bite someone out of nowhere. Young, unknown, unproven talent. There's usually growing pains, but sometimes you find a kid like a Dwight Dasher that can just set the world on fire. Dwight Dasher was also ironically hardly recruited. I believe we were his only D1 offer to play QB.

Could Randall Johnson be another one of these guys? We'll see.

I will say, these are sometimes the teams that will catch fire and come up and bite someone out of nowhere. Young, unknown, unproven talent. There's usually growing pains, but sometimes you find a kid like a Dwight Dasher that can just set the world on fire. Dwight Dasher was also ironically hardly recruited. I believe we were his only D1 offer to play QB.

Could Randall Johnson be another one of these guys? We'll see.

He had offers to play DB, he was recruited.

He had offers to play DB, he was recruited.

Maybe privately but there was next to nothing regarding his recruitment that was publicly available. I was involved with rivals recruiting at the time and he was 1 of 3 players the coaches were adamant about not speaking about on the forums. We were his only D1 offer to play QB.

At this point in time I have zero visibility as to what is going on with the football program. This season is going to be like a box of chocolates. We may win one we shouldn't of and lose one we should of won. I do believe our defense will be as good as last year if not better. Our offense has the potential to be the worst we have seen Franklin put on the field. Ask this question after Franklin has spoken about the offense. He will tell it like it is. I did see where Franklin said he was tickled as to where the quarterbacks were at this point. That gives me hope.

Reactions: Raiderclyde
At Michigan - L
Tenn St - W
Duke - W
At Iowa - L
Marshall - L
At FAU - L
At N. Texas - L
FIU - W
At Charlotte - W
Rice - W
ODU - W
At WKU - L

Start out bad and find a way to finish strong for 6-6

I see 5-7 in our future much like this slate. Exchange WKU loss to a win; lose to Duke at home (in a close one). Somehow, I see us slipping up against Tennessee State—that one is a toss up largely because of our QB situation and turnovers. On paper, we should win Tennessee State game comfortably with our defense and depth, but they may play us tough like Vanderbilt enough to win.

At Michigan - L
Tenn St - W
Duke - L
At Iowa - L
Marshall - W
At FAU - L
At N. Texas - W
FIU - L
At Charlotte - W
Rice - W
ODU - W
At WKU - L
Repel Bug Spray Bowl vs random MAC/MWC/SBC team L with a score of 10-57
6-7

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
I say 4 and 8. We hang on to beat TSU and do not get another win until Charlotte. Finish with Rice and ODU as wins but lose to WKU.
Stock will apologize for not being bowl eligible and say we competed. He looks forward to the next 12 years remaining on his contract.
Average attendance drops to 4k and MT is forced to purchased enough tickets to satisfy the NCAA required 15k.
Can't wait for BB season to start.

Do we know who the starting QB will be yet?

I'm excited for a new change at QB. Brent set a lot of records for us, but never came across as a game changer to me. Of course I also think Franklin's best days are behind him, so maybe the play calling wasn't ideal. I'm pretty sure Franklin is using his same playbook from 2002.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Do we know who the starting QB will be yet?

I'm excited for a new change at QB. Brent set a lot of records for us, but never came across as a game changer to me. Of course I also think Franklin's best days are behind him, so maybe the play calling wasn't ideal. I'm pretty sure Franklin is using his same playbook from 2002.
Considering he was out of football in 2002, that'd be a bit hard ;)

In all seriousness, I haven't seen as much innovation / forward thinking in Franklin's 2nd stint in the Boro (maybe I've overlooked it)

Considering he was out of football in 2002, that'd be a bit hard ;)

In all seriousness, I haven't seen as much innovation / forward thinking in Franklin's 2nd stint in the Boro (maybe I've overlooked it)
From what I have been told and from what little I have seen of him Franklin had a dynamic playmaker in Dasher last time he was here. Also coaches are more used to defending systems like his. I think if we get a playmaker like Dasher at QB Franklin will be able to do more. The 3 pt. shot is the equalizer in basketball and a dynamic playmaker at QB is the equalizer in football.

From what I have been told and from what little I have seen of him Franklin had a dynamic playmaker in Dasher last time he was here. Also coaches are more used to defending systems like his. I think if we get a playmaker like Dasher at QB Franklin will be able to do more. The 3 pt. shot is the equalizer in basketball and a dynamic playmaker at QB is the equalizer in football.

What your saying is a QB that is a big threat to run...Dasher was a duel threat, I think he had 1000 yds rushing in 2009. At our level and with our weaknesses we need this duel threat.

What your saying is a QB that is a big threat to run...Dasher was a duel threat, I think he had 1000 yds rushing in 2009. At our level and with our weaknesses we need this duel threat.

We're getting a dual threat in Ohara and Johnson. We have speed coming in this fall coupled with solid players like Dobson, Mobley, Anderson and Lee. I think this group may surprise us a bit. I'm more worried about the coaching and strategy. That is what needs to get better.

Wasn't Logan Kilgore one of Tony's picks?

Honestly, I see no difference between Brent and Logan. I actually expect a upgrade with Ohara and/or Johnson.

This Dasher talk has me in disbelief that it has almost been 10 years since I flew to watch us walk all over Southern Miss.

Honestly, I see no difference between Brent and Logan. I actually expect a upgrade with Ohara and/or Johnson.

This Dasher talk has me in disbelief that it has almost been 10 years since I flew to watch us walk all over Southern Miss.

It was like a mountain top view into the promised land, and kicked back to wander in the wilderness

I may get slapped for this but I've never understood the infatuation with Brent. To me, Wes Counts, Jonathan Quinn, Mickey Corwin and a few others were just as good if not better.

If Brent had not gotten hurt so much he likely would have been top 5 in passing yards all time. Maybe TDs too. He was much better than any of those guys. Gotta think with him playing our record would have been better too. If he was not injury prone you would not be saying Wes Counts may be better than Brent.

If Brent had not gotten hurt so much he likely would have been top 5 in passing yards all time. Maybe TDs too. He was much better than any of those guys. Gotta think with him playing our record would have been better too. If he was not injury prone you would not be saying Wes Counts may be better than Brent.
Perhaps, but you could always "count" on Wes being there ;)

Wes was unbelievable. I am glad I was able to watch him play in my college days.

He made me a believer when we beat Latech in 2000. His swagger at candy in 01 made him a household name.

You know.. I might be foggy but didn’t Jason Johnson light up la tech?

Anyways. Both Johnson and Counts were fun to watch. I flew up to watch them take on Maryland that year and Johnson and Dwone Hicks almost beat a really good terp team that had a true heisman candidate in Lamont Jordan.

Look I love Wes too. One of my best memories of MTSU football was when we played Idaho and we were up like 35-14 at the half. People were leaving because they thought it was over. ended up being I think like 65-63 score which was highest scoring game in D1 history at the time. I think Wes completed 22 straight passes that game. I was 14 at the time. When I became a MTSU fan. I still have the hoodie I bought that day.

Reactions: MT Glenn
Michigan - W
TSU - W
Duke - W
Iowa - W
Marshall - W
FAU - W
UNT - W
FIU - W
UNC-C - W
Rice - W
ODU - W
WKU - W
CUSA Championship game - USM - L
Bowl Game - Coastal Carolina - L

Reactions: Predarat
Most likely start 1-3 since Rick puts no real effort into winning out-of-conference games but the team could win or lose any of the rest of them.

I'll guess 9-4

Michigan - L
TSU - W
Duke - L
Iowa - L
Marshall - W
FAU - W
UNT - W
FIU - W
UNC-C - W
Rice - W
ODU - W