WKU Athletics finances in a nosedive

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
WKU fighting uphill budgetary battle among C-USA peers

excerpt:

...WKU’s athletic operating budget for the upcoming 2018-19 sports season is set at $23.3 million. That ranks 12th of 14 C-USA schools, per documents provided by the league to WKU and obtained by the Daily News.

The average athletic operating budget for Conference USA programs is $27,526,826.

WKU meanwhile ranks No. 11 in revenue from student athletic fees ($4.1 million) among the 12 C-USA schools that collect them. The league average for student athletic fee revenue is $9,303,203.

Stewart called budgetary issues “the single biggest frustration of my tenure as the athletic director.” .....

Two thoughts on this:

1. WKU looks like they do more with less than just about any school in CUSA. The MT AD needs to take a hard look at what we're getting from a bang for the buck perspective - from what i've seen, we're in the upper levels of funding in CUSA, we should be more competitive (at least in sports that people pay attention to - football, baseball). Only basketball is really running where they should.

2. Does this blow a hole in the "if you win, people will come" theory, or is this specific to WKU and Bowling Green? I like to think it's the latter. If not, we're all going to find ourselves back in FCS sooner or later.

Two thoughts on this:

1. WKU looks like they do more with less than just about any school in CUSA. The MT AD needs to take a hard look at what we're getting from a bang for the buck perspective - from what i've seen, we're in the upper levels of funding in CUSA, we should be more competitive (at least in sports that people pay attention to - football, baseball). Only basketball is really running where they should.

2. Does this blow a hole in the "if you win, people will come" theory, or is this specific to WKU and Bowling Green? I like to think it's the latter. If not, we're all going to find ourselves back in FCS sooner or later.

I’ll answer your questions :
1) WKU AD made the decision to eliminate some non-revenue sports to consolidate their “limited” resources and prevent their revenue sports from enduring larger budget cuts.

2) Winning may help sell tickets, but it’s not the end-all, be-all. With so many games televised, it’s much easier (and cheaper) to enjoy a game on the big screen from the comfort of the couch. Plus, ticket price must match ticket demand. FWIW, comparable WKU season tickets were significantly less than MT.

A lot of those championships they won are track and field and swimming and diving. Sports that most people don't care about. They have won a few football championships and I think a women's basketball championship but they have zero men's basketball championships since joining CUSA.

With the new 5-star number 3 ranked recruit in the country arriving this summer, they will likely be highly competitive in bball. That is unless they end up with with a situation similar to last summer.

With the new 5-star number 3 ranked recruit in the country arriving this summer, they will likely be highly competitive in bball. That is unless they end up with with a situation similar to last summer.

Will this be another Mitchell Robinson debacle again though? A good WKU is great for the conference.

I like to think it's the latter. If not, we're all going to find ourselves back in FCS sooner or later.

^ This just isn't going to happen. Idaho was an exceedingly rare case and hampered a lot by the meteoric rise of Boise State.

The real thing to watch closely is when the American's TV contract ends next season. The amount they receive will have huge sway on the longterm future of the G5.

There may be a new 'division' (You could argue there already is), but there won't be a recess back to FCS' all-are-welcome shores.

^ This just isn't going to happen. Idaho was an exceedingly rare case and hampered a lot by the meteoric rise of Boise State.

The real thing to watch closely is when the American's TV contract ends next season. The amount they receive will have huge sway on the longterm future of the G5.

There may be a new 'division' (You could argue there already is), but there won't be a recess back to FCS' all-are-welcome shores.

If you end up in a new Sub-FBS division - might as well go back to FCS. Or drop football and attempt to become a BBall power.

College football is divided into FBS and "Why bother".

We all know (and I personally dislike the fact and think it is misguided) that MT is cutting back the reach of the Blue Raider Radio Network while at the same time WKU is expanding into our primary area. Could it be that WKU is wasting dept. or sponsors funds in this endeavor.
I would like to think that Massaro is using the radio sponsorship $$$s elsewhere but IMHO we just haven't reached out to find sponsors for our games in the entire mid-state.

We all know (and I personally dislike the fact and think it is misguided) that MT is cutting back the reach of the Blue Raider Radio Network while at the same time WKU is expanding into our primary area. Could it be that WKU is wasting dept. or sponsors funds in this endeavor.
I would like to think that Massaro is using the radio sponsorship $$$s elsewhere but IMHO we just haven't reached out to find sponsors for our games in the entire mid-state.
Is a small radio footprint such a big deal?

If you are out of the broadcast region, use your phone/tablet to stream the radio broadcast

If you are out of the broadcast region, use your phone/tablet to stream the radio broadcast

This ^ ... I have a real, nice digital radio beyond the one in my car for my office after we cut cable. But I have never ever used it. I’m also 600 miles from Tennessee, so the signal ain’t gonna carry anyway.

More like Power 5 and "why bother".

Why stop at just dropping football? Might as well send the entire $27M back to the institution ... facilities could use some more improvements. And we could use a law school.

I’d prefer to take the good and the bad.

Personally I still think over the air radio matters. Generally speaking, I think you're only going to reach supporters you already have through streaming, because it takes effort to search and find a stream. I think there is still a potential casual listener that can be located with over the air radio. I know when I'm in my car, sometimes I will scan the dial just to see if I can locate an interesting game of some sort to listen to. For the record, I also think streaming is critically important. I just don't think it has completely killed the value of traditional radio.

I agree with this.
I know Randall and I didn’t grow up hearing anything but UT in Loudon and Roxane County.

I think it would be great outreach if MT was on 1 FM radio station in Knoxville area and Memphis.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Gambling could be huge for MT football and basketball IMO. I hope the lawmakers of the state get with the times.....

I agree with this.
I know Randall and I didn’t grow up hearing anything but UT in Loudon and Roxane County.

I think it would be great outreach if MT was on 1 FM radio station in Knoxville area and Memphis.

I would imagine one's opinion on where MT radio should be broadcast depends upon where you grew up, live, and where you think MT needs to encourage support but for me getting into Chattanooga and Huntsville is important along with virtually all of the mid-state.

Been listening to MT FB and BkB since it was only available in the city limits of The Boro on AM stations, WMOT was a Godsend to this fan and I've listened to games all over the mid-state. Now this has been taken away and I'll no longer have this opportunity when in my vehicles or where there is no wifi.

There are few places in the state where you can't scan the dial and find the urenge on a half-dozen stations. Even the school on West End is on several mid-state stations and the last time I checked was on in Memphis. WKU covers the entirety of Western Ky. and recently added Nashville, as did Memphis. Yet we cut back coverage with the loss of WMOT (who the heck is in charge of this) and now probably don't reach a third of the population in Middle Tennessee or 20% of the land mass the school is named for.

Not good!

I honestly cannot remember the last time I listened to a game (anyone anywhere) on the radio. Probably more than 10 years ago.

I listen to the radio on the way to and from games. When I lived up in New England I would listing via the web.

Not really sure if its worth our marketing dollars.

That is a tough argument where sort of see both sides. I've always pretty much enjoyed radio, and I still do to some degree. For the last few years, I've gotten to where I mostly stream radio/audio. I listen to some radio when driving simply because it is easy and convenient. Ironically, I find myself even streaming some of the local Nashville radio stations if the signal isn't crystal clear over the air.

I appreciate the argument that new listeners might still be accessed with traditional over the air radio. I do wonder though just how many people are out there listening that could actually be won over. Especially in this smartphone era, it would seem so many people are streaming radio these days.

WMOT 89.5 was perfect for us with their Class A coverage signal. One could pick up WMOT in Bowling Green, KY easily; remember hearing post game show from Greenwood Mall parking lot as I was going to eat after the game. That same signal carried easily to Tennessee River and Cookeville. With WGNS, our signal might carry to county line on a very good day in daytime, and not much past 1960's Murfreesboro City Limit after sunset. The two FM frequencies for WGNS is not much better. Streaming works OK, but is more difficult to maneuver in car versus a preset on the radio or steering wheel. The FM dial in Nashville is very crowded space; there are almost too many LP stations that interfere/bleed with adjacent channels along with the big 100,000 watt sticks--one needs an old vintage GE Superadio to fine tune dials for reception selectivity with some of these stations.

WMOT 89.5 was perfect for us with their Class A coverage signal. One could pick up WMOT in Bowling Green, KY easily; remember hearing post game show from Greenwood Mall parking lot as I was going to eat after the game. That same signal carried easily to Tennessee River and Cookeville
The school radio station should always broadcast MT's major sports

That is a tough argument where sort of see both sides. I've always pretty much enjoyed radio, and I still do to some degree. For the last few years, I've gotten to where I mostly stream radio/audio. I listen to some radio when driving simply because it is easy and convenient. Ironically, I find myself even streaming some of the local Nashville radio stations if the signal isn't crystal clear over the air.

I appreciate the argument that new listeners might still be accessed with traditional over the air radio. I do wonder though just how many people are out there listening that could actually be won over. Especially in this smartphone era, it would seem so many people are streaming radio these days.

These were my thoughts as well. I've done the same thing - instead of fishing around for a radio station, I usually just hit the app and there it is.

It's usually just easier to stream - and depending on where you are - might actually have a better reception. Driving around east Tennessee with all it's hills and hollars, radio reception is never great.

I actually think this might turn out for the better - as long as we can have a high quality stream to offer - it could open up a few more marketing possibilities i.e. you're in control of your ads, not beholden to radio stations schedules, can plug podcasts other sports, offer streaming packages, etc.

I spend a ton of time in a car driving for work, or just having music/sports talk on in the background of my office - and I really think that my stream (XM, Spotify, various sports talk apps) to radio ratio is probably 95% streaming.

If MT could invest in a really high end digital app and presence, I think it would work a lot better than getting in bed with fuzzy end-of-the-dial radio stations.

RaiderDoug, While I'm still somewhat partial to traditional radio (old habits die hard), I find myself streaming more and more these last couple or few years. If older people are streaming more and more, I imagine younger people stream massively. It would be nice if MT can exploit streaming and apps as you suggested to great benefit.

I know it's hard for you young whippersnappers to understand those of us who get our information from newspapers, the nightly news on TV, and from broadcast radio. Old habits die hard and some of us just don't want to deal with some of the new technology (streaming through my car radio? Wouldn't know how to start and my old pickup which I drive occasionally has no connections for whatever) so we can listen to Blue Raider games as we travel in the mid-state.

Regardless, I have one question for how the heck does a school like MT make casual fans aware of the Blue Raiders through new media? For years I have been forced to see the urenge and the school on West End covered extensively in the mid-state media, I've been aware by scanning the radio dial that UT-K is on numerous stations as is VU.

Is the percentage of potential new fans so unaware of coverage by old media as for it to be irrelevant? Does the number of stations MT games are on no longer give casual fans an indication of the place of MT in the mid-state sports world?

Since becoming a Blue Raider fan I've been forced to be aware of school and teams I could give a s--- about. How we we, through new media, force the casual sports fan in our area to be aware of MT?

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Coming across a live game on the airwaves is not how we gain new fans these days. Sorry. It's just not. Anyone looking for entertainment that way has already made their decision on how they view our brand. Where we could benefit is from regularly getting our coach's on sports talk radio during peak drive time segments.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Coming across a live game on the airwaves is not how we gain new fans these days. Sorry. It's just not. Anyone looking for entertainment that way has already made their decision on how they view our brand. Where we could benefit is from regularly getting our coach's on sports talk radio during peak drive time segments.

I think anything that gives us exposure to new fans is good. Expand radio, advertisement, extremely active & smart social media, a Blue Raider Coach Carivan across the state to large metro areas, print, door to door, fliers, ticket/promotions, anything.

Basically write down our current strategy & do the opposite.

In fairness, they have tried a coach’s caravans to some markets within an hour or so drive of the campus. IIRC, from reviewing pics on GoBlueRaiders.com, they were generally pretty sparsely attended. Not sure how the event was publicized though. Think it’s been 2-3 years since I have seen anything on that website about it.
I don’t know Stock personally and don’t even live in TN, but it’s one of many reasons I think he hangs it up after his Son uses his last year of eligibility. If you can’t win your division championship with arguably the best QB we have ever had, what are your chances beginning in 2019?

Hire a personality

You have to have constant fresh content on YouTube IG twitter and Snapchat.

Radio is the old way.

25+ is gonna be hard grab. Focus on younger people to build a fan base. They already don’t perceive sporting events the same so you can’t keep using the old way. Look at the Nashville sounds ball field.

Take down upper decks and build in recreation areas with TVs foosball Corn hole ping pong. Put those in the back but keep it open to see The game.

Beer

Last edited:
I don’t know Stock personally and don’t even live in TN, but it’s one of many reasons I think he hangs it up after his Son uses his last year of eligibility.

I just can't see him walking away from that contract and that kind of money. He isn't that old and I'm sure he wants to groom Brent to be a coach one day. I think Stock stays another 5-7 years to be honest and brings Brent on staff.

Wouldn't surprise me if they tried to pull some crap where Brent takes over one day.

Stock isn’t going anywhere. You are correct.

He can print money.

I just can't see him walking away from that contract and that kind of money. He isn't that old and I'm sure he wants to groom Brent to be a coach one day. I think Stock stays another 5-7 years to be honest and brings Brent on staff.

Wouldn't surprise me if they tried to pull some crap where Brent takes over one day.

Well I am thinking we lose to both wky and vandy again this season. It would be frustrating if MT loses again to those 'rivals' and no action were to be taken. What program loses to two close rivals four straight years and keeps the coach. It would be the most middle thing ever.

Reactions: dukewayne
Why does every AD think that these coaches need a lifetime contract? Not just blaming Massaro, but most AD's act like these dudes are all Bear Bryant and you will never get anything better at your school. If nobody wants your coach when you are at a Group of 5 you have an average to bad coach. Period. At one time ECU and Memphis wanted Stock. Now there is zero chance he would go anywhere else, and we are to financially strapped too try anything new. The funny thing is this thread is about Western and their finances nose diving and they own us in football. I would hazard a guess they will own us as long as Stansbury is around in basketball for the next 2-3 years at least. I don't see how we beat Vandy though. They thoroughly dominated us in trenches and we are thin on proven d-lineman as it is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT