ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker endorses Cruz ahead of April primary

bigbadjohn45

All American
Jul 9, 2010
Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker endorses Cruz ahead of April primary
Published March 29, 2016
FoxNews.com

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker on Tuesday officially endorsed Texas Sen. Ted Cruz for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination.

“It’s time we elected a strong new leader. I’ve chosen to endorse Ted Cruz,” he said, during an interview with popular Milwaukee talk radio host Charlie Sykes.

Walker, whose short-lived run for the GOP nomination ended in September, had said he would support the Republican candidate who is chosen as the nominee, but had been sending strong signals prior to Tuesday’s announcement that he would back Cruz.

Walker has been critical of Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump and said last week that Ohio Gov. John Kasich “cannot” win the nomination.

Sykes had already endorsed Cruz.

Ted Cruz's Political Endorsements

Governors
Presidential Candidates
Members of Congress

Name Party State
Scott_Walker_6632006.jpg
Scott Walker
Republican_Party_1362528.png

Republican Party
_831121.png

Wisconsin
Rick_Perry_3942944.jpg
Rick Perry

Republican Party
_831115.png

Texas
Nikki_Haley_6631999.jpg
Nikki Haley

Republican Party
_831112.png

South Carolina
Phil_Bryant_6632004.jpg
Phil Bryant

Republican Party
_831096.png

Mississippi
Greg_Abbott_6632033.jpg
Greg Abbott

Republican Party
_831115.png

Texas
Source: Graphiq Analysis.
As of March 9, 2016

Walker’s endorsement didn’t come as a surprise to Trump, who weighed in on Twitter Monday night.

“After the way I beat Gov. Scott walker (and Jeb, Rand, Marco and all others) in the Presidential Primaries, no way he would ever endorse me!”

But Trump’s usual chest-beating tactics may not work with Wisconsin voters when they head to the polls on April 5.

On Monday, Sykes slammed Trump during a rocky 17-minute telephone interview with the billionaire businessman. Sykes pressed Trump to apologize to Cruz’s wife, Heidi Cruz, for retweeting an unflattering picture of her next to a picture of Trump’s wife Melania Trump, a former model.

Sykes also told Trump, a New Yorker, that “here in Wisconsin we value things like civility, decency and actual conservative principles.”

At times, Trump seemed to be caught off-guard by Sykes’ questions.

“Mr. Trump, before you called into my show, did you know that I’m a hashtag ‘NeverTrump’ guy?”

Trump responded, “No, I didn’t know that, but I assume you’re also an intelligent guy.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT