ADVERTISEMENT

Will it ever end?

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
McDevitt is simply way out of his league and we made a massively bone-headed move when we hired a young coach who has never left Asheville that couldn't even dominate in the Big South, arguably the worst conference in D1 basketball.

In retrospect, this was a terrible hire. Atrocious. McDevitt wasn't a proven winner at any level. No big time wins to speak of at Asheville. 0 (ZERO) post-season tournament game wins with losses in the CIT, NIT, and NCAA tournament. Best record he ever posted was a 23 win season in 2016-2017 that concluded with a swift @$$ beating in the first round of the CIT to powerhouse UT Martin. His team finished first in the Big South in 17-18 and 18-19 but couldn't win their tournaments for an NCAA birth. Their seasons ended shortly after that with both of them concluding with first round exits in the NIT and CIT.....Sign of a bad coach can't get it done when the chips are on the table.

I feel bad for the players. Our administrators and coaches have failed them. There's no way this much talent on paper is this bad. Not even close. No way, no how. What's going on here at MT is unspeakably bad and so horrific I'm surprised there's not some discussion or attention surrounding it.

And with all that being said, there will be zero changes going forward into next season despite the fact that we have all the evidence we need right in front of us that this man has zero business being our head coach.

It is quite literally criminal how apathetic, unaccountable, and flat out incompetent our administrators and "leaders" are. It is a criminal misuse of tax and donor dollars in my eyes and they should be thankful we don't live in a dictatorship where I'm king because I would have them all thrown in jail for embezzlement starting with Massaro and McPhee first.

Reactions: MTTim and subkyle
I wanted McDevitt to be successful. I think we all did even though some were right and didn't think he would be. If those in charge don't fire him after having the talent he has I just don't know what to say. Hell there are at least two coaches in Murfreesboro right now that would do a better job. One is obviously Grensing, but hell Kerry Hammonds would do a better job in my opinion. This team has too much talent to be this bad. This is not a personal attack on Nick as he seems like a great guy and he did bring these players in here. I was willing to give him a couple of years, but his was the year I needed to see improvement and we have gotten worse with more talent. I just can't imagine a situation where we keep him, but I doubt I will have to imagine it because we probably will. If we do I hope a miracle happens and we figure it out. I don't see any scenario that happens though.

In retrospect? I’m sorry but nope. This was a terrible hire from the word go.

to me it was questionable. I wanted Steve Forbes but apparently we couldn’t get him. I still resent the fact that we couldn’t lure him away. They should have made him an offer he couldn’t refuse. Same offer that we gave Kermit which I believe was 1.2 mil. That would have doubled Forbes salary surely he comes for that.

I didn’t want Odom or McDevitt in the least bit as I thought odom was a 1 hit wonder (and hated the south Carolina ties/factor) and McDevitt did nothing of note in a terrible big south conference and his age and lack of experience was a red flag.

we were doomed with McPhee and Massaro conducting this search. As someone else said, no point in firing any coaches until McPhee and Massaro are fired. They will replace lemons with lemons.

It’s so sad and depressing to see how far our athletics programs have fallen. We used to be semi-relevant as a “mid-major” and respected around CUSA. Now we are a laughing stock with the most overpaid G5 coach in D1 ball.

McPhee and Massaro have pushed me to the point of disdain/hate for MT. A school I was at for 5.5 years, met lifelong friends, and experienced some of the greatest times of my life. I never thought it would get this bad but Massaro and McPhee have literally turned my love to hate and disdain. At this point, I’m wanting them to lose every game in every sport and every student fail every class until the board is forced to remove McPhee and Massaro from their positions. They have RUINED our university and nobody seems to give two $hits

Last edited:
It's unreal. Complete lack of leadership. You have to try to be this bad.

I fully expect zero changes to occur. It will be more of the same failure. If any of these so called leaders had an ounce of dignity and self respect, they would resign immediately. At least give a chance to someone that seems to care.

March 24. That’s the day. As I said before, anything short telling CNM to GTFO I’m 100% done.

Not done like Wiley where I come back in a few weeks. Truly done. This is my red line. MT either dumps him or they are dumping me. I will not continue to support the incompetence and apathy that has permeated this university over the past few years.

Reactions: MIDTENN05
It's sickening to have deal with "leadership" that don't give a flying *&$# about the alumni & fans.

They are doing irreparable damage. If things can be salvaged, it will take years to restore MT athletics to any level of decency where fans actually attend at any significant level.

I wonder how many more months or years the "leadership" will hide behind covid? When will the Board of Trustees meet in public again? Will they find it convenient to hide behind video conferences so they won't have to face the public?

If Nashville media, eg channel 5 Williams, are going to look into things, I wish they would expose the real incompetence rather than the minor stories. How about some real investigative reporting on McPhee and his Chicom relationships & connections?

Reactions: MIDTENN05
FWIW, Ryan Odom is 50-33 over the last 3 years at UMBC. Bit of a rough go last season but, wouldn’t you know, back on top this year with COY honors as well.

Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
March 24. That’s the day. As I said before, anything short telling CNM to GTFO I’m 100% done.

Not done like Wiley where I come back in a few weeks. Truly done. This is my red line. MT either dumps him or they are dumping me. I will not continue to support the incompetence and apathy that has permeated this university over the past few years.
Prepare yourself for leaving then. I was told this afternoon to expect McDevitt back again next season. Reason that will be floated is he gets a COVID pass but in reality we are broke and cannot afford his buyout. And......as long as there are certain folks calling the shots on the BOT then the top two are safe as well.

I’ve decided to focus my purchases and giving on my other two alma maters. I’ll still hang around here for the entertainment value of reading you guys’ posts but my days of driving to the MT campus for anything are over.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Prepare yourself for leaving then. I was told this afternoon to expect McDevitt back again next season. Reason that will be floated is he gets a COVID pass but in reality we are broke and cannot afford his buyout. And......as long as there are certain folks calling the shots on the BOT then the top two are safe as well.

I’ve decided to focus my purchases and giving on my other two alma maters. I’ll still hang around here for the entertainment value of reading you guys’ posts but my days of driving to the MT campus for anything are over.

Awesome.

Masarro, McPhee, and Stockstill's paychecks and state pensions are their priorities. It's not MT. I don't think they really care at all about the growth and stability of MT athletics. Oncethey suck all the money they can out of the taxpayers and the BRAA members, that are dumb enough to still be donating, they probably won't think twice about MT or the shambles they left it in. If any of them had an ounce of character they would resign but it won't happen. They are like those slimy politicians that go to Washington D.C. to "serve" their country for a short term but end up staying there for 30 to 40 years leaching off the taxpayers.

They are like those slimy politicians that go to Washington D.C. to "serve" their country for a short term but end up staying there for 30 to 40 years leaching off the taxpayers.

Actually they and their families are in it for the large scale grift that only federal government can attract. McPhee, Massaro, and Stockstill are small time, though I would love to see what a serious audit of McPhee's chinese adventures and dealings would reveal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT