ADVERTISEMENT

Why not try out Shafer?

Sommy

All Conference
Aug 2, 2001
Messaro should seriously considering letting Stockstill go and elevating Shafer to interim HC. If he does well, make him your HC. He's definitely coached at a bigger program so he has the experience. Just seems logical (I know this administration doesn't think logically) that you would want to see what you got with Shafer. He's a guy already on your staff that should be able to keep things "stable" for the balance of the year.

Nothing will happen, but it's still fun to consider.

Why do you want yet another retread? Take a chance on somebody geez. All these guys with "experience" what does that get you.

I don’t think Shafer would be bad. He wasn’t awful from what I remember at the graveyard up at Syracuse.

But it won’t matter, Because the goal isn’t to field a competitive, winning team striving for excellence.

The goal is simply to exist, milk whatever money you can put of the budget while claiming to “compete”, and putting forth the absolute minimal effort possible.

The losing isn’t a bug, it’s a feature.

Suppose the goal is to eliminate sports at the university. Would it look any different from what we are seeing now? Absolutely serious question.

Reactions: MTLynn
Messaro should seriously considering letting Stockstill go and elevating Shafer to interim HC. If he does well, make him your HC. He's definitely coached at a bigger program so he has the experience. Just seems logical (I know this administration doesn't think logically) that you would want to see what you got with Shafer. He's a guy already on your staff that should be able to keep things "stable" for the balance of the year.

Nothing will happen, but it's still fun to consider.
SS gets a chance only if Stockstill got fired mid season.

While it would be the lazy way for M&M to just promote him when Stock retires, he never coached in the Carolinas, so he is not qualified for Massaro.

I actually emailed Massaro this exact thing. Of course what would happen is he would fire Stock and West would be named interim.

• Wow
Reactions: Blue_H
I actually emailed Massaro this exact thing. Of course what would happen is he would fire Stock and West would be named interim.
Nope. I think he’s hit his ceiling and used up all of his good ol boy network favors after UAB (Neil Callaway), USM (Ellis Johnson) and finally Stock. Callaway is now the O-Line coach at USC until he gets the boot after the season. Helton, West, Callaway all in the family.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT