ADVERTISEMENT

When Stockstill is fired/steps down - who do we want?

Sommy

All Conference
Aug 2, 2001
We don‘t have a lot to be excited about right now so why not start this thread? Messaro is a horrible athletic director, but even he can’t let another bomb of a season go by without doing something.

So back to the only fun MT fans can have right now - who would make a good and realistic candidate?

Manny Diaz - it sure looks like Miami is ready to move on. He really hasn’t performed too great at either Miami or Texas. so he might need to rebuild his image at a place like MT.

Kendall Briles - not sure why he hasn’t gotten a shot yet. Probably not a fit for him here and would bolt after one season.

Larry Fedora - come back home Larry. Although he’s getting up their in age and I recall he said some whacky comments recently. So he might be a little crazy.

Walt Bell - he has been terrible as a HC, but was a hot name before that. Worth another shot on a shorter contract?

Jeff Fisher - instant name recognition. We know he wanted the Vandy job and theoretically would bring some donors or money to the program. He is extremely hard headed and might turn into another Stockstill situation where he hires his friends and they don’t really coach or evaluate anything.

who do you have?

We don‘t have a lot to be excited about right now so why not start this thread? Messaro is a horrible athletic director, but even he can’t let another bomb of a season go by without doing something.

So back to the only fun MT fans can have right now - who would make a good and realistic candidate?

Manny Diaz - it sure looks like Miami is ready to move on. He really hasn’t performed too great at either Miami or Texas. so he might need to rebuild his image at a place like MT.

Kendall Briles - not sure why he hasn’t gotten a shot yet. Probably not a fit for him here and would bolt after one season.

Larry Fedora - come back home Larry. Although he’s getting up their in age and I recall he said some whacky comments recently. So he might be a little crazy.

Walt Bell - he has been terrible as a HC, but was a hot name before that. Worth another shot on a shorter contract?

Jeff Fisher - instant name recognition. We know he wanted the Vandy job and theoretically would bring some donors or money to the program. He is extremely hard headed and might turn into another Stockstill situation where he hires his friends and they don’t really coach or evaluate anything.

who do you have?
First, Massaro and McPhee will screw up any hire.

Second, I want no one from UTK, Vandy or Memphis.

Third, we cant afford any on your list except Bell and his UMass team is atrocious. Just no.

Realistically, a current FBS coordinator or FCS HC. More importantly, we need enough salary to bring in good assistant coaches as well. I want a coach that is so good he is gone in 4 or 5 years to a P5 job.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Some folks were suggesting the Presbyterian HC who never punts for UConn. Go for him! LOL

We are a broke university with a spineless administration. I don't see Stuckstill going anywhere any time soon.

I wanna shake your hand.

First, Massaro and McPhee will screw up any hire.

Second, I want no one from UTK, Vandy or Memphis.

Third, we cant afford any on your list except Bell and his UMass team is atrocious. Just no.

Realistically, a current FBS coordinator or FCS HC. More importantly, we need enough salary to bring in good assistant coaches as well. I want a coach that is so good he is gone in 4 or 5 years to a P5 job.

Bridles is the best name there. Who cares if he bolts. We need coaches who want to succeed here so they can move up. We don’t want another guy who is satisfied at 6-6 and wants to hang around.

Bridles is the best name there. Who cares if he bolts. We need coaches who want to succeed here so they can move up. We don’t want another guy who is satisfied at 6-6 and wants to hang around.
Briles would take a pay cut to come to M’boro. The way Arkansas is playing, Briles will be a P5 HC next season.

I see UMass lost 53-3, bringing his career record to 1-19. Wow that’s new level horrible.

What other names do you guys like?

I see UMass lost 53-3, bringing his career record to 1-19. Wow that’s new level horrible.

What other names do you guys like?

I would like a young excited up and comer that has success as an OC or at the FCS level.

Frank Ponce at App St.

One of the Coastal Carolina OC

Tony Alford, Ohio State

I doubt he takes the call, but Todd Monken at UGA

You have to call Briles and get told no interest.

You call Michael Johnson at FAU

John Grass at Jacksonville St gets a call.

Curt Cignetti at James Madison would be an AWESOME get.

I call Pete Schinnick at West Florida and interview him.

Reactions: mtfblue
Georgia Southern fired their coach today. 28-21 career record. Better than our guy.higher expectations I guess.

Reactions: FootballKuato
Randy Sanders is 4-0 at ETSU and making $255,000 a year through 2023.

Joe Craddock is coaching tight ends at UAB.

I’m struggling with coming up with a top contender who would come to MT under the present regime.

you would get some decent applicants, because they are able to pay a million a year. I would leave the former players where they are at. Need someone that rebuild a program and be a huge cheerleader to get fans and money into the stadium. Briles, the OC at Ole Miss, Cignetti, Southern Illinois HC, West FL HC,

We would get decent applicants but also immense frustration from beavis and butthead. Think back to the names we were tossing around to replace Kermit and who we ended up with.

Georgia Southern fired their coach today. 28-21 career record. Better than our guy.higher expectations I guess.
I saw this story living in Georgia and I'm like 3 years ago he competed for a SBC Championship and beat a ranked App State twice (I think) and as you point out his record is better than our own guy. I like Lundsford he's a motivator and provides an upbeat culture but obviously he wasn't as successful as GaSo wanted.

I'm tossing this out there - Mark Hudspeth. Yes, I know there was some shenanigans going on at APSU (none of my business, IMHO), but everyone deserves a 2nd chance. It worked for Freeze at Liberty.

He was crazy successful at North Alabama, went from loser to winner in 1 season at AP, and was solid at Louisiana.

My personal opinion is without a change to Massaro or McPhee MT needs a motivator to inspire play of the guys we already have and help bring in more/better recruits. Ideally someone who is creative that can create a better environment for recruiting with the limited budget and facilities that we have.

who do you have?
You can go ahead and remove Fisher. Not happening. Going from a .500 Stockstill to Walt Bell's losing record seems like a massive step back (even if Bell is at UMass).

If Manny Diaz gets canned at Miami, I'm open to him. Briles should get a call, but my guess is he'll be in the mix for high level G5 jobs this offseason.

Anyone who has not consistently played and coached for championship(s) winning programs should not be considered.
I don't think this needs to be treated as an absolute. Otherwise, Bill O'Brian (or another Bama asst) would be the guy.

While a championship winning coach would be nice, I don't think it's a necessity.

MT needs a HC that can build a program. Someone who has coached at the G5 level, built a program, done more with less, and bring energy to the program.

Guys like :

Brent Dearmon : HC Experience at Bethel, SEC experience at Auburn
Kendal Briles : Current OC at Arkansas, with experience as OC at FAU and Baylor
Jeff Lebby : Curren OC at Ole Miss, with experience at UCF, Baylor, and NAIA Southeastern (avg 55.0 ppg in his lone season at Southeastern).
Kevin Kelley : Former HC at Pulaski Academy and current Presbyterian College HC. I have some concerns about Kelly at this point, but he has a track record of doing more with less.

Maybe if the timing is right Lane Kiffin will be fired from Ole Miss looking for a Mid Major Stepping Stone job.

Reactions: MTSUSkyman
My personal opinion is without a change to Massaro or McPhee MT needs a motivator to inspire play of the guys we already have and help bring in more/better recruits. Ideally someone who is creative that can create a better environment for recruiting with the limited budget and facilities that we have.
I really think a recruiter is by far the most important. This isn't the SEC, where everyone (except Vandy) has talent and you have to coach them better than your opponent. These G5 leagues can still be won by simply out-talenting your opponent.

I've watched a couple of the MT games this year, and i'm not convinced that the schemes are all that bad. I don't think we do a whole lot different than most spread/air raid teams, and Shafer's defense seems to have the players in the right places. But football essentially boils down to winning more 1 v 1 matchups on any given play than your opponent - and our guys just aren't good enough as a whole to win enough of those matchups.

And that goes back to the low effort recruiting. We simply aren't signing enough talented players. There's not enough guys in the NFL over the course of the 16 year Stock era that prove otherwise. When they manage to luck into a Dasher or Little Stockstill, the schemes work fine - but they're not going out and getting those players in the #'s required to field championship contending teams.

X's and O's can't make up for a roster full of less talented Jimmie's and Joe's.

Reactions: Hop45
Aside from Massaro and McPhee hiring from the Carolinas, why Satterfield?
It was meant tongue and cheek. But would you be completely shocked by a press conference with Massaro saying: “Satterfield is a quality man with HC experience and ties to Tennessee. Plus he has been a very successful offensive coach everywhere he went and was highly recommended by the South Carolina staff. We expect him to compete and build on the foundation coach Stockstill laid.”

Its like a bad B horror movie when you know the ending 5 minutes in.

And I agree with Brian Bohannon. That would be a good get as well.

I really think a recruiter is by far the most important. This isn't the SEC, where everyone (except Vandy) has talent and you have to coach them better than your opponent. These G5 leagues can still be won by simply out-talenting your opponent.

I've watched a couple of the MT games this year, and i'm not convinced that the schemes are all that bad. I don't think we do a whole lot different than most spread/air raid teams, and Shafer's defense seems to have the players in the right places. But football essentially boils down to winning more 1 v 1 matchups on any given play than your opponent - and our guys just aren't good enough as a whole to win enough of those matchups.

And that goes back to the low effort recruiting. We simply aren't signing enough talented players. There's not enough guys in the NFL over the course of the 16 year Stock era that prove otherwise. When they manage to luck into a Dasher or Little Stockstill, the schemes work fine - but they're not going out and getting those players in the #'s required to field championship contending teams.

X's and O's can't make up for a roster full of less talented Jimmie's and Joe's.
MT's issues are both recruiting AND player development (in the weight room and on the field).

While this may be an unpopular opinion on the board, I think Stock COULD right the ship if he was willing to make significant changes to staff (West, Mallory, Brock, etc)

MT's issues are both recruiting AND player development (in the weight room and on the field).

While this may be an unpopular opinion on the board, I think Stock COULD right the ship if he was willing to make significant changes to staff (West, Mallory, Brock, etc)

200.gif

Part of being successful as a HC and leader is knowing playing to your strengths and hiring the right people to cover your weaknesses.

Titans HC Vrabel is a good example of this : He's a "leader of men" but he's not the greatest scheme guy so he (wisely) hired Dean Pees to be the scheme guy.

ADVERTISEMENT