ADVERTISEMENT

When is signing day for....

". . .3 to 4 schollies to give?"

I assume you are speaking of the women who have a half dozen of so to give after losing Dow and IIRC Williams. I would really be surprised to see Insell sign the full allotment for the women (15).

The men really don't have any to give after the commitment of Duran unless someone leaves. But, Davis is after a point, a wing who can create and score, and a "big" who can defend at the rim (all according to recent interviews) to improve the team for next year. VerbalCommits.com has MT giving offers to 20 different players (half JUCO - half H. S - five are above a 2 star rating - of course these 5 have other good offers) for the late signing period including one who was offered earlier this week. Going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.

OK Duran is one.

Richmond left so that is one.

Is Habersham gone?

Terrance and Rozier graduated so that is two more. Am I missing something?

Only thing I have heard about Habersham is that Davis mentioned that he was a red-shirt in a recent interview.

You are probably forgetting the early period signing of JUCO Justin Coleman and 6' 9" Carl Gamble (high schooler from South Carolina). With those two, Duran's commit (If he will be on scholarship - still scratching my head on that one) and those returning we are at the limit of 13.

I was including those two but didn't know Duran was a definite. Is he a true point guard?

Thought there may be room for one more since we have a player on the team that is an upcoming senior that never plays. I don't understand why a coach keeps them their senior year. Why doesn't he just move them to being a grad assistant or something.

Duran committed and IIRC it was written up in the DNJ so have to believe he will sign. As for his position???

Which Sr. are you referring to who never plays. All four scholarship players (Jones, Buford, Harris, and Raymond) played significant minutes last year as Juniors.

Gibson has accepted a job after graduation and will not play his Sr. year. The walk-on was honored on Sr. day with Rozier and Tarrance.

He was a walk-on. We don't gain a scholarship when he forgoes his Sr. year.

Scholarship players returning at this time (10): Harris, Jones, Buford, Phillips, Habersham, Ivory, Raymond, Simpson, Potts, Upshaw

Signed in the early signing period (2): Coleman, Gamble

Verbal commit: (1) Duran

That has MT at the men's BkB limit of 13 scholarships if: all players return, the two signees make it into school, and Duran is a scholarship player who ends up signing a true BkB scholarship (sometimes walk-ons have been known to make a big deal of signing when the only thing they are signing is an application form).

One creative way we have had "extra" scholarships is for a player to offer to pay his own way. The player would probably have to be in-state, on the Hope Scholarship and have other sources of funds for this to work. IIRC one player in the past did this to help the program. Perhaps someone can supply more info.

Regardless, Davis has on numerous occasions stated that he is after multiple players in the late signing period (verbalcommits.com has 20 players with active MT offers). Who knows how it will work out but, as things now stand, it appears we have no scholarships to give.

This post was edited on 4/10 5:34 PM by MTFNBY5

I'm fairly certain that local guys (TN signees) like Upshaw for example, are utilizing the Hope Scholarship and not an athletic scholarship. I could be wrong but I believe this to be the case.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by cbow0328:
I'm fairly certain that local guys (TN signees) like Upshaw for example, are utilizing the Hope Scholarship and not an athletic scholarship. I could be wrong but I believe this to be the case.
I have understood that to be the case at times as well. I have wondered when 'cost of attendance' aid kicks in if that applies in those cases or is restricted to those with strictly athletic scholarships or is it left up to the schools?

I believe that scholarships and grants are not used "instead" of an athletic scholarship but are used by the athletic dept. to reduce the cost of the athletic scholarship. A lot of creativity is used to provide scholarships for athletes [how else could private schools like VU and Rice even field BB teams with the limited # of splittable scholarships allowed (11 IIRC) and the high cost of attendance - getting a half scholarship still leaves a lot to pay]

Wish we had a compliance person or someone knowledgeable about NCAA athletic scholarships to help us in this area.

I do wonder if red-shirts count against the limit during their red-shirt year?
Do walk-ons get meals paid for on the road?
I assume an athlete on a full academic scholarship (gotta think Simpson is on an academic scholarship since his other offers were Dartmouth and Yale) still counts against the 13 limit?
How much more does it cost the athletic dept. at a public school for an out-of-state athlete?
Does an athlete who qualifies for a Pell Grant get to use all the money himself or is a portion used by the school to pay for the athletic scholarship?

So many questions - the number of which is exacerbated when your coach habitually oversigns.

Originally posted by MTFNBY5:
I believe that scholarships and grants are not used "instead" of an athletic scholarship but are used by the athletic dept. to reduce the cost of the athletic scholarship. A lot of creativity is used to provide scholarships for athletes [how else could private schools like VU and Rice even field BB teams with the limited # of splittable scholarships allowed (11 IIRC) and the high cost of attendance - getting a half scholarship still leaves a lot to pay]

Wish we had a compliance person or someone knowledgeable about NCAA athletic scholarships to help us in this area.

I do wonder if red-shirts count against the limit during their red-shirt year?
Do walk-ons get meals paid for on the road?
I assume an athlete on a full academic scholarship (gotta think Simpson is on an academic scholarship since his other offers were Dartmouth and Yale) still counts against the 13 limit?
How much more does it cost the athletic dept. at a public school for an out-of-state athlete?
Does an athlete who qualifies for a Pell Grant get to use all the money himself or is a portion used by the school to pay for the athletic scholarship?

So many questions - the number of which is exacerbated when your coach habitually oversigns.
Technically, it is possible to use athletic scholarships, private scholarships, and grants and come out getting paid to go to school. Student athletes on Pell Grants are allowed to reap the financial benefit of Pell Grant and the full scholarship to the institution.

Redshirts do count against the scholarship limit.
Walk-ons do enjoy the full room and board (hotel, food, etc) while traveling with the team on team related activities
Athletes on a academic scholarship and not receiving any athletic aid do not count against the scholarship limit
Cost for a out of state athlete depends on the student-athlete's major and Academic Common Market, home county, school policies, etc

Austin: I appreciate your knowledge and your effort to put a little light on the subject.

I would like for you to put a little clarification on the "academic" scholarship situation. You say a person on a full "academic" scholarship does not count against the 13 limit for BkB. It doesn't take much of a stretch to say that MT (the academic side) would put a student (athlete or not) of Simpson's academic ability on a full academic scholarship. Not much creativity on that one. Are you saying, assuming he is on a full academic scholarship, that MT can have 13 other players on athletic scholarships for a total of 14 basketball players on full scholarships. What's to keep a school from signing several BkB players to a full academic "ride" (being very creative and loosely defining academic) and having a roster of 18, 20, or more players?

Originally posted by MTFNBY5:
Austin: I appreciate your knowledge and your effort to put a little light on the subject.

I would like for you to put a little clarification on the "academic" scholarship situation. You say a person on a full "academic" scholarship does not count against the 13 limit for BkB. It doesn't take much of a stretch to say that MT (the academic side) would put a student (athlete or not) of Simpson's academic ability on a full academic scholarship. Not much creativity on that one. Are you saying, assuming he is on a full academic scholarship, that MT can have 13 other players on athletic scholarships for a total of 14 basketball players on full scholarships. What's to keep a school from signing several BkB players to a full academic "ride" (being very creative and loosely defining academic) and having a roster of 18, 20, or more players?
My understanding is that a player who is on a academic scholarship (say, in MT's case, a combination of Lottery and Presidential scholarships) would not count against the athletic scholarship limit for basketball. The scholarship limit for basketball and football (I'm less familiar with exactly how baseball does partials) is athletic scholarship specific and is part of the way athletic departments attempt to remain Title IX compliant.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT