ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL What to make of this Jekyll & Hyde program

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
I think not only were the Rams stunned for most of the game, but most MT fans were as well, though we all have seen this before. My own feelings is that it was stunning but not surprising. Over the years we've seen improbable wins, Ga Tech, Syracuse, Mizzou, and this is one. But in all those and other seasons there has been no consistency. No continued high level of play. No launch into a Championship season that those wins might have happened to a different program with different coaches and players. I have no faith that this season is any different from any other Stockstill era team.

It’s not. Meanwhile, our rival is 2-0 and looks like a championship contender.

College Gameday is going to Boone next week. These are things we could have built here but our ship has sailed. We’re everybody else’s homecoming cupcake now, and that’s probably never going to change. Our Mt Rushmore is the Three Stooges.

Football can be a feast or famine proposition at times, especially with young rosters like ours. We are a very young team this year.

Stockstill also has never been able to get his team ready for a week 1 game. We were lucky to beat FIU in 2006 which is Stockstill only week 1 win against an FBS team. And we only won that game because FIU kicker missed an extra point and missed several make-able field goals. I also recall Colby hitting a monster punt that once again bailed us out. We were thoroughly outplayed by FIU in that 2006 home opener.

we have decent players. Especially on defense. I like shafer, he consistently has his defense ready to play and brings winning game plans to attack the opposing offense.

our problem continues to be, and always will be under Stockstill, our offense. Our OL is just not well prepared and rarely can win the line of scrimmage. MT will never be able to take that step forward towards playing for championships and upsetting P5 programs with these OL coaches.

I also believe we will continue to lose our good young players to the portal which will make it impossible for us to ever have a seasoned, experienced, ass kicking team. At the G5 level, those big ass beating G5 teams are always full of experienced junior/senior ballers. Most of those guys will now just leave to another program after their breakout freshman/sophomore seasons.

moral of the story is, it’s a futile effort.

Stock's a .500 coach - the record doesn't lie. For every loss, there's going to be a win, so yesterday was completely in line with all past results.

No one wants him gone because he's bad. He's not a bad coach. He's just not a good one either.

The goal of any sports program isn't to go .500. That's the problem we face.

Anybody follow Brent’s wife on insta? That’s been a nice distraction from the product on the field.

Stock's a .500 coach - the record doesn't lie. For every loss, there's going to be a win, so yesterday was completely in line with all past results.

No one wants him gone because he's bad. He's not a bad coach. He's just not a good one either.

The goal of any sports program isn't to go .500. That's the problem we face.
This is correct.

For every surprising victory (or even surprising blowout), there’s a surprising defeat (or embarrassing blowout loss).

Jekyll & Hide programs don’t win championships. They don’t grow fan bases. They do just enough not to get fired, but not enough to elevate the program.

Based on the show last night Stock is back to the injury card. TSU will be a much tougher game than people think. TSU is loaded with power 5 transfers and can put the yards up.

Based on the show last night Stock is back to the injury card. TSU will be a much tougher game than people think. TSU is loaded with power 5 transfers and can put the yards up.
Haven't had the chance to watch last nights episode, but he's had more "excuses" the last few years.

One of the things that I liked about Stock early on was his "no excuses" approach. When they lost, it was "we didn't play well enough. We didn't coach well enough." I appreciate the honesty in that approach.

Blaming loses on injuries (while true) runs out of steam when seemingly every loss is blamed on injuries. Do you suddenly get healthy the weeks you win?

I don't know anything about TSU, but if they lose to them. Wow, that would show the reality of where this program is at. Just 15-20 years ago it seemed like they had a plan and an upward trajectory. So a loss to TSU would be a gut punch.

I think we all know where this program is at, but still losing to a local lower level team like that would be the icing on the cake.

If Rick Stockstill received an extension then that might do it for me......

spongebob.jpg

He will still be coaching here when we put humans on mars later this decade

they only put up 160 on Jackson state this past Saturday

That $500,000 donation to the university seems like a well played move by him to get the extension. He seems to do something similar every couple years. Last time he delayed his contractual raise in order to get an extension. I would gladly spend all the money we have for the facility upgrade to pay him to go away and keep the crappy facilities we have many more years. We WILL NEVER go anywhere with this program as long as he is associated with it. Mcphee, Masarro, and Stockstill are vampires sucking the lifeblood out of the university and especially the athletic department.

That $500,000 donation to the university seems like a well played move by him to get the extension. He seems to do something similar every couple years. Last time he delayed his contractual raise in order to get an extension. I would gladly spend all the money we have for the facility upgrade to pay him to go away and keep the crappy facilities we have many more years. We WILL NEVER go anywhere with this program as long as he is associated with it. Mcphee, Masarro, and Stockstill are vampires sucking the lifeblood out of the university and especially the athletic department.
I.m betting that this was all worked out in advance. His donation was blasted all over by the university's various social media and PR arms. This extension as well as previous extensions were quietly done, not celebrated (as someone said), in the darkness of secrecy.

A thorough house cleaning needs to happen, somehow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT