ADVERTISEMENT

What else can we do to grow exposure..

MidTennMtneer

All American
Nov 13, 2013
So I've been thinking for a while and against my better judgement and most likely ridicule, I'm throwing this out there.

With the new media deal we have a chance as a conference to think outside the box. Yes I know Judy's track record. But maybe someone will see all this and tell someone and it create a spark somewhere.

First off, IGNORE THE SPECIFIC SCHOOLS. I simply grabbed them based on name recognition and rumors online of potential schools. I just needed 16 to make 4x4 pods.

So imagine the below.
* 7 scheduled conference games
* each division plays another, rotating
* for 8th game, the leaders of two divisions play another. #1 v #1, #2 v #2, etc.
* winners of #1 v #1 play conference champ game
* in other words create our own mini playoff

Example
* MT is in East with WKU, LU, KSU. Play them then one division, say South.
* since reg season had E/S & N/W, 8th game would be East 1 v North 1 and West 1 v South 1
* regular divisions and 8th game opponents would rotate
* so say MT leads E, SDSU leads N, FIU leads S, UTEP leads W.
* so MT v SDSU and UTEP v FIU. Winners play each other for championship

You could make it a weekend. 8th games on Thursday, champ Sat. Or throw basketball games in with it with another conference. Make it an event that could be marketed and is unique. Pods can work for other sports as well and help with travel too.

We are here for a while in CUSA, so let's make the most of it and figure ways to maximize exposure for the league, in turn us.

Maybe I'm an idiot. Maybe I'm a genius.

No way anyone agrees to play a semifinal game on Thursday then bounce back on Saturday of the same week for Championship game. Not for football. Would be awesome for the fans, but that part is not realistic. Lover the rest of it though

Once again some may disagree with me as well due to the conspiracy theory aspect, but what you have is on a similar plan to what I think the conference may have as a long term phase by phase goal. After aligning our new schools for next year phase 1 began as of today with the new media pkg. We could NEVER bring in additional quality schools with that old crappy pkg. My conspiracy theory is that for a true up & coming school like Liberty to join aboard, Judy had to agree to get off her lazy rear & get a better pkg than video on Facebook & Stadium. Phase 2 of theory) since Liberty realizes they can't be part of a P5 conference is to do the next best thing. The goal of dominating at least in football the largest fbs conference in America. After all we are named Conference USA. It may have to go from one 10 team conference, to two 6 team divisions, but ultimately 4 4 team quadrants. With Liberty's money It's hard for me to imagine them being happy as a small timer. I think they want to show the big boys what they missed, aka Freeze's $5 million contract. Liberty will leave the rest of us basketball, tennis, baseball, etc. But they want something big in football, & to them that means making it bigger & better since being snubbed by everyone else, pretty much giving them a sense of rejection. Of course it's just one theory, be interesting to see if other possible phases fall into place the next couple years

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Only monkey wrench for Liberty is a possible bidding war with Auburn for their coaches services. Depends on his loyalty if Auburn comes calling. If so, he would be wise to stay put

Once again some may disagree with me as well due to the conspiracy theory aspect, but what you have is on a similar plan to what I think the conference may have as a long term phase by phase goal. After aligning our new schools for next year phase 1 began as of today with the new media pkg. We could NEVER bring in additional quality schools with that old crappy pkg. My conspiracy theory is that for a true up & coming school like Liberty to join aboard, Judy had to agree to get off her lazy rear & get a better pkg than video on Facebook & Stadium. Phase 2 of theory) since Liberty realizes they can't be part of a P5 conference is to do the next best thing. The goal of dominating at least in football the largest fbs conference in America. After all we are named Conference USA. It may have to go from one 10 team conference, to two 6 team divisions, but ultimately 4 4 team quadrants. With Liberty's money It's hard for me to imagine them being happy as a small timer. I think they want to show the big boys what they missed, aka Freeze's $5 million contract. Liberty will leave the rest of us basketball, tennis, baseball, etc. But they want something big in football, & to them that means making it bigger & better since being snubbed by everyone else, pretty much giving them a sense of rejection. Of course it's just one theory, be interesting to see if other possible phases fall into place the next couple years
If that is the end goal, who do you think the schools will be? I've seen articles that SFA and UCA will be next, and that Missouri St wants to move up too. Rest I just guessed. Other's thoughts?

Only monkey wrench for Liberty is a possible bidding war with Auburn for their coaches services. Depends on his loyalty if Auburn comes calling. If so, he would be wise to stay put
Who knows. His agent is Jimmy Sexton (Jimbo & Kirby) so he will milk everything. There are major rumors on SEC boards apparently (the office I'm based out of is in Arkansas and the place is full of SEC lovers of course) and I can tell you Freeze to WVU is everywhere.

Both places, and Liberty, fit his small town big feel school love so who knows. Follow the $ or stay with really good $ and much easier schedule.

SFA and Missouri State seem to be the closest to making the jump.
Those would be 2 excellent additions. I think the new media pkg will help to garner more interest in the near future for future candidates. From message board websites I've read our new entrant's fans into CUSA are typically quite pleased with the new contract & is making them feel even better about the move.

I do wonder how the contract is written. For example the new B12 deal allows for the overall deal $ to increase and give new schools the same cut...if they are P5. In other words adding the rumored 4 corners and the per school $ wouldn't change. Add Memphis and it goes down.

I wonder what expansion clause CUSA put in. The per school $ in the new deal is nothing to complain about. I'd hate to see that go down for the sake of expanding.

Reactions: MTFAN61
I do wonder how the contract is written. For example the new B12 deal allows for the overall deal $ to increase and give new schools the same cut...if they are P5. In other words adding the rumored 4 corners and the per school $ wouldn't change. Add Memphis and it goes down.

I wonder what expansion clause CUSA put in. The per school $ in the new deal is nothing to complain about. I'd hate to see that go down for the sake of expanding.
Read my mind. Almost included similar thoughts in my last post.

SFA doesn't have the support or finances to make the move.
Can't answer to finances. But looking at attendance averages for last year with stadium capacity...reported mind you

SHSU 7,736 (14,000)
UCA 7,560 (12,000)
SFA 8,866 (14,575)
Tarleton 9,204 (15,000)
Mizz St 11,273 (17,500)
MT 12,351 (30,788)
WKU 16,485 (23,776)
JSU 16,809 (24,000)
LU 17,608 (25,000)

We had a similar pod setup discussion a few weeks ago. I discussed NMSU not being left out west without similar geographic schools due to travel cost constraints. Wiley was a strong proponent of Tarleton State. Not to totally quote, but he felt Tarleton could be a sleeping giant. Have to admit I don't know a great deal about the candidate Texas schools, but because of geography I strongly feel NMSU could use another partner other than UTEP & Sam Houston.

We had a similar pod setup discussion a few weeks ago. I discussed NMSU not being left out west without similar geographic schools due to travel cost constraints. Wiley was a strong proponent of Tarleton State. Not to totally quote, but he felt Tarleton could be a sleeping giant. Have to admit I don't know a great deal about the candidate Texas schools, but because of geography I strongly feel NMSU could use another partner other than UTEP & Sam Houston.

Tarleton has money out the wazoo from what I've read. I think Austin said it too. Part of Texas A&M.

If Judy did want to go to 16, it may mean more TX schools as I've seen several say no way the Dakota schools come. Who knows.

Can't answer to finances. But looking at attendance averages for last year with stadium capacity...reported mind you

SHSU 7,736 (14,000)
UCA 7,560 (12,000)
SFA 8,866 (14,575)
Tarleton 9,204 (15,000)
Mizz St 11,273 (17,500)
MT 12,351 (30,788)
WKU 16,485 (23,776)
JSU 16,809 (24,000)
LU 17,608 (25,000)
I'm not talking attendance, I'm talking support from admin and boosters. They are trying to join either TXAM or UT system.

I have my questions about it too.

But I've heard (second-hand from a source at SFA) that the FB team is expecting to make the transition soon.
I have heard the team and coaches want the move but not the admin because of the cost, and they don't have the money and that's why they are looking to join the TXAM or UT system.

I'm not sure what the appeal of Missouri State is, if we're talking about football. They won eight games last year, which was there only time winning more than 6 in this century. Currently they have 3 wins this year. I know they've been good in other sports though.

I have heard the team and coaches want the move but not the admin because of the cost, and they don't have the money and that's why they are looking to join the TXAM or UT system.
I have my skepticism (I'm not sure they have the support) and the administrative uncertainty that surrounds the school (interim president) and, as you pointed out, the possibility of joining one of the TX university systems. I'm not educated / informed enough on TX university systems / policies to know how UT / TAMU would feel about SFA going FBS.

I can only share what I have heard : Those connected with the FB team have been told the staff is expanding soon (adding 2 coaches). That signals, IMO, an expectation for a move to FBS

Reactions: mtfblue
If you're picking up more schools, I would take UCA, SIU, MO State, Jackson St, and maybe 1 more

If you're picking up more schools, I would take UCA, SIU, MO State, Jackson St, and maybe 1 more
Speaking of Jackson State.

I read an article this morning how Deion is pushing to have the winner of the Celebration Bowl (MEAC vs SWAC champs) play an FBS team in one of the bowls. In it they also mentioned FCS playoffs.

I had no idea it was hard for HBCUs to get in to the playoffs. I never really paid much attention to FCS till it became apparent CUSA would have to bring schools up. Their conferences are not auto qualifiers due to the Celebration Bowl and an HBCU hasn't been chosen as at large in several years. Many times even with a better record than those non HBCUs chosen.

I can tell you for sure there are plenty of FBS teams that JSU would absolutely beat. And like the article said, people would rather watch that than 6-6 ODU vs 6-6 CMU.

They are easily hitting 40k in attendance but idk how much of that is true JSU and how much is him. I mean we know those $1k red cushy sideline seats are all him.

Reactions: mtfblue
Ultimately, increased exposure will requires wins.

Better or worse.

You need to win. You need to be exciting.

Look at Boise. When they won (mid-2000s) they were all the rage on ESPN.
Look at UCF. They are all the rage on ESPN b/c they're on a hot streak right now.
Look at Cincinatti.
Look at App State, Coastal, and JMU. When they win & they're on a hot streak, they get exposure.

Ultimately, 6-6 every year isn't going to get you increased exposure. It's probably not going to grow your fan base.

I read an article this morning how Deion is pushing to have the winner of the Celebration Bowl (MEAC vs SWAC champs) play an FBS team in one of the bowls. In it they also mentioned FCS playoffs.

I had no idea it was hard for HBCUs to get in to the playoffs. I never really paid much attention to FCS till it became apparent CUSA would have to bring schools up. Their conferences are not auto qualifiers due to the Celebration Bowl and an HBCU hasn't been chosen as at large in several years. Many times even with a better record than those non HBCUs chosen.

I can tell you for sure there are plenty of FBS teams that JSU would absolutely beat. And like the article said, people would rather watch that than 6-6 ODU vs 6-6 CMU.

They are easily hitting 40k in attendance but idk how much of that is true JSU and how much is him. I mean we know those $1k red cushy sideline seats are all him.
JSU always avg over 30k for true home games. The HBCU's could be in the playoffs. FAMU made it last year after finishing 2nd behind JSU. Most don't finish their season until Thanksgiving weekend. JSU, FAMU and some more finish in time to qualify, Most f MEAC do as well. He is looking to get some of that bowl payout from a 6-6 team. Just imagine them in the Shreveport, Frisco, Nashville, NOLA, Birmingham, Liberty, Montgomery or Mobile bowl. Mobile would have to move back to Ladd as USA stadium is not big enough. They would easily travel 30k to those bowl games

JSU always avg over 30k for true home games. The HBCU's could be in the playoffs. FAMU made it last year after finishing 2nd behind JSU. Most don't finish their season until Thanksgiving weekend. JSU, FAMU and some more finish in time to qualify, Most f MEAC do as well. He is looking to get some of that bowl payout from a 6-6 team. Just imagine them in the Shreveport, Frisco, Nashville, NOLA, Birmingham, Liberty, Montgomery or Mobile bowl. Mobile would have to move back to Ladd as USA stadium is not big enough. They would easily travel 30k to those bowl games
Personally, I'd love to see FCS teams replace 5-7 FBS teams in bowl games.

This is the kind of stuff that needs to happen. Thinking outside the box.

With the new 12 team playoff coming we of course don't want G5 to "split off" as has been thrown around. Way too much $ given up and honestly, it creates the possibility for a football Cinderella, even more than one. Which only helps G5 more as it's the top 6 champs regardless of P5 or G5.

But my point is the status quo won't work. We need to find ways to draw attention, and 6-6 vs 6-6 bowls aren't doing it. Find ways to bring new eyes to the bowls, new ways of making G5s matter more, like my above suggestion for CUSA pods, and then some. FCS vs FBS bowls. Non playoff conference champs playing each other in bowls.

There needs to be new ways to gain eyes. Absolutely winning helps, but still. The new playoff is a chance to change how bowls work and how conferences work. We should use that opportunity. Man I wish I had a seat at that decision table.

Would like this as well. There are certain fbs schools that are not winners, they are survivors. This is what schools like MT present themselves as, survivors. Congratulating a survivor 6-6 team doesn't deserve another co-survivor in an end of year bowl game. Would love to see a 6-6 fbs team either get knocked out of bowl contention, or be pitted against a top tier fcs team. Nothing would be more embarrassing than to get your ears pinned back by a team your supposed to be superior to. Maybe 3 or 4 annual losses in a row to an fcs team is what MT's administration needs to see in the post season to wake up.

Crazy I know, but maybe Murfreesboro should create another bowl game just for HBCU's to participate in? Lord knows the exposure would be nice...

Don't see it happening, but just a random thought.

They just need to worry about SC State first. They’re wasn’t a lot of celebrating the celebration bowl last year for JSU.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Throwing some ideas out there:

I'd like the really play up what separates MT from the pack. We have a nationally renowned aerospace program. What if we flew a banner advertising the game from an MT plane around middle Tennessee as a way to promote the games?

I know this is really stepping out there - but what the hell is a Blue Raider? I checked the wiki page - it basically says someone named Charles Sarver won a contest in the 30's to name the team. I went to GBR, and no real history page about it exists from what I could easily find. And what the heck does a pegasus have to do with us anyway? It's entirely the most generic blah branding you could get. No significant history, and a somewhat cheap copy of Texas Tech.

Quick - think of the WKU mascot and branding - what pops in your head - you're all thinking of that annoying blob, right?. Think of UAB's Blazer dragon. Instantly you think of the dragon helmet. Now think of a Blue Raider - I bet you get 5 different logos, mascots, etc popping into your head.

So, what if we re-branded and played up the tie in with the aerospace department, the flight school, and essentially made the "Blue Raiders" something to do with fighter jets/planes/military types? Not only would it set us apart a bit, but might actually mean something related to the school. I'm probably wording this poorly, but you get the idea, right?

Reactions: RaiderDoug

I'd like the really play up what separates MT from the pack. We have a nationally renowned aerospace program. What if we flew a banner advertising the game from an MT plane around middle Tennessee as a way to promote the games?

I know this is really stepping out there - but what the hell is a Blue Raider? I checked the wiki page - it basically says someone named Charles Sarver won a contest in the 30's to name the team. I went to GBR, and no real history page about it exists from what I could easily find. And what the heck does a pegasus have to do with us anyway? It's entirely the most generic blah branding you could get. No significant history, and a somewhat cheap copy of Texas Tech.

Quick - think of the WKU mascot and branding - what pops in your head - you're all thinking of that annoying blob, right?. Think of UAB's Blazer dragon. Instantly you think of the dragon helmet. Now think of a Blue Raider - I bet you get 5 different logos, mascots, etc popping into your head.

So, what if we re-branded and played up the tie in with the aerospace department, the flight school, and essentially made the "Blue Raiders" something to do with fighter jets/planes/military types? Not only would it set us apart a bit, but might actually mean something related to the school. I'm probably wording this poorly, but you get the idea, right?
I agree. I hated the pegasus back as a freshman in '98. I was thinking they came up with the pagasus due to the aerospace pprogram. Did some digging and found this.

I agree it is time for a true mascot. I love the block MT. It absolutely is timeless and should never be changed. But that winged horse has got to go.

I say make a ridiculous mascot. The “best” mascots make you wonder what people were thinking. WKU, the Phillies, the Flyers among others. We need some personality with our mascot. Sadly the red headed step children if KY have that area right.

I remember reading an article some 30 years ago about the contest. Speaking of Texas Tech I remember reading that school was precisely where he got the idea of Blue Raiders for our university. Honestly I've always liked the name, but like you not the logo. Thumbs up on tying the aerospace dept into logo idea, I like it! A pegasus might fly, but certainly like a jet or bomber better. Only addendum, UT-Martin's the Skyhawks. They have fighter pilot goggles as part of logo. Not a bad mascot & logo, so no goggles

I remember reading an article some 30 years ago about the contest. Speaking of Texas Tech I remember reading that school was precisely where he got the idea of Blue Raiders for our university. Honestly I've always liked the name, but like you not the logo. Thumbs up on tying the aerospace dept into logo idea, I like it! A pegasus might fly, but certainly like a jet or bomber better. Only addendum, UT-Martin's the Skyhawks. They have fighter pilot goggles as part of logo. Not a bad mascot & logo, so no goggles
It was the Colgate Red Raiders not tx tech...

Reactions: MT Glenn
The mascot itself looks pathetic roaming around. Makes me think a 100lb soak and wet person is in it and can barely keep that damn head on.

I'm all for a complete rebranding. I like the idea of having it tied to the aerospace program, entirely.

Have they ever thought of having seniors do a fly-by in the Diamonds. A few select few seniors get to do it each year. Kind of like yell leaders or something at A&M. Have some experienced IP's in with them.

Reactions: ewglenn
I think - and don't quote me here - because it's been a LONG time here's why MT has the Pegasus :

1) Horse : Connection to MT's Ag program and the local horse industry
2) Wings : Connection to MT's Aerospace program
3) Lightning (by nostrils) : Connection to MT's Comm program

Additionally, located just outside the "Athens of the South", MT's use of a Greek mythological figure makes sense.

Honestly, I don't have a HUGE issue with Blue Raiders or Pegesus, but the logo looks OLD. Dated. Needs an update IMO. University and AD need to rebrand to use the same font in ALL material, the same letterhead, and the same terminology.

MT needs to be the University of Middle Tennessee.

I think - and don't quote me here - because it's been a LONG time here's why MT has the Pegasus :

1) Horse : Connection to MT's Ag program and the local horse industry
2) Wings : Connection to MT's Aerospace program
3) Lightning (by nostrils) : Connection to MT's Comm program

Additionally, located just outside the "Athens of the South", MT's use of a Greek mythological figure makes sense.

Honestly, I don't have a HUGE issue with Blue Raiders or Pegesus, but the logo looks OLD. Dated. Needs an update IMO. University and AD need to rebrand to use the same font in ALL material, the same letterhead, and the same terminology.

MT needs to be the University of Middle Tennessee.

Having separate athletic and academic logos is common, just look at Virginia Tech. But also, look at WVU. Tennessee. Especially with us being G5, I agree. We need a constant.

What is ironic speaking of the horse looking dated is that according to the branding guide, the horse over the old endzone Blue Raiders font is retired. Yet we still have it on gates going in to the locker room. I think that is the entrance they are on.

MT with pegasus on field (primary logo) without it on back of scoreboard (branding guide secondary logo).

Like you said, no consistency.

The "secondary" logo should be the only one used.

ADVERTISEMENT