ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL What changes have we made?

Sommy

All Conference
Aug 2, 2001
I’m sure nothing has happened, but how can Stock just keep the status quo considering the horrible year and steady decline of the program. The argument we were in the championship last year is weak so fans don’t want to hear it.

Where is the accountability that there are repercussions for a failed season? Can we at least fire a WR coach or something to show the staff understands what’s going on. That’s the biggest issue no accountability. Year after year.

Massaro is not going to force Stockstill to do anything. Massaro's thinking is this "We were a young team this year, we were in the championship game last year (12 men on the field btw), we a had a tough schedule with 3 power fives this year, we had tons of injuries (again), we had great APR!!!!....I'm giving him a mulligan" Typical hands-off Massaro approach, clinch his butthole and hope for the best. He could not be more out of touch with our fan base.

Rick Stockstill is not firing anybody unless he's forced to and Massaro isn't forcing him to. So all his friends will stay on staff and it will be business as usual. Fans in the stands do not impact Rick's pocket book or the amount of sleep he gets at night so he has no incentive to change anything. He doesn't care what we think nor does he respect our opinion. We are just message board slappies who think we know everything.

Hiring new coaches is more work for him. Easier to keep things as is, status quo, same recruiting territories, same coaching assignments, etc. He is absolutely coasting at this point and will not make staff changes unless forced to. He is still the same ole stubborn Rick Stockstill after 14 years. He's never fielded the best team in his conference in 14 years, and he doesn't plan on changing his ways any time soon apparently. No wonder our results are so predictable.

Only chance of any coaching changes is after the coaching convention in early January, and I can't see any other schools poaching any of our coaches away. So, yea.

Good point Wiley.

In my opinion, Rick Stockstill has a huge character issue. If you can look in the mirror, satisfied with what kind of job he is doing, and making that much coin, there is a character issue. I don't want to hear he is a good guy..blah, blah. He has a huge flaw and his integrity is being flushed down the toilet if there isn't something done. Rebuild staff or STEP THE HECK DOWN.

Rick Stockstill is not firing anybody unless he's forced to and Massaro isn't forcing him to. So all his friends will stay on staff and it will be business as usual. Fans in the stands do not impact Rick's pocket book or the amount of sleep he gets at night so he has no incentive to change anything. He doesn't care what we think nor does he respect our opinion. We are just message board slappies who think we know everything.

...He is absolutely coasting at this point and will not make staff changes unless forced to. He is still the same ole stubborn Rick Stockstill after 14 years. He's never fielded the best team in his conference in 14 years, and he doesn't plan on changing his ways any time soon apparently. No wonder our results are so predictable.

Reactions: TrueBlue147
I think Stockstill"s attitude is that it's him and his players agianst the world (which includes his own fanbase) it seems like he resents us because we don't automatically the stands every game and we expect more of him than the crap he has given us. He refuses to do anything in the community to boost support. He makes no changes. He hires his buddies and does not hold them accountable for anything I agree it is a character flaw at this point to just coast on the athletic department's dime when he knows damn well there is very little money to go around. At this point I don't think he gives a hoot about MT. Him and his buddies (including Masarro) are just sucking us dry untill they retire and than off to South Carolina or Florida they go. Leaving behind a devastating 20 years of damage to our football/athletic program. At this point I think is so stupid to give them a penny when they are not gonna do what it takes or make any changes to win. That would be too hard. Its much easier to stick with the status quo. I quit giving. I dont want any of my money to go to their salaries. Let the student fees and money games pay them. Im not giving this group a penny.

Reactions: MTTim
FWIW, Stock didn't announce previous staff changes (Nix and McCorvey) until the end of December.

If staff changes are made (and they should be made), they need to be made now. Several guys out there that could upgrade staff

The shocking thing is Massaro allows this to happen. Do you think he goes home at the end of the day and feels like he’s doing a good job? Don’t you at least have some pride in your work?

The shocking thing is Massaro allows this to happen. Do you think he goes home at the end of the day and feels like he’s doing a good job? Don’t you at least have some pride in your work?

This goes to the earlier post about character coming into question at some point. He makes a good point.

Whatever the case may be, it's been my observation and opinion that Massaro and possibly Coach Stock may have reached the point of rationalizing their seeming acceptance of subpar performance and generally losing ways. My guess has been that they have the "Little Middle" attitude. In my opinion, they likely don't see their job results as failing but as doing a good job at a program that lacks support, finances, facilities, and an appreciative fanbase. My suspicion is that they think no one else can do any better. With that line of thinking, they let themselves off the hook of expectations and responsibility for the lack of success. Further, it is my opinion that they are more likely focused on fundraising for facilities rather than targeting standards of consistent championships. Sure, fundraising for facilities is important but just not at the expense of writing off the next few seasons, if they are in fact thinking along those lines. Again, all of this is just my opinion. It would explain a lot if that is the case.

The leadership (Stock, Massaro, McPhee) never leveraged the success of Blue Raider Football in 2009 after the NOLA Bowl and it’s been a downhill slide into mediocrity and low expectations ever since. There is absolutely no excuse why this program hasn’t won a CUSA Football title since joining the league.
Just Google the Mike Norvell introductory press conference at Stock’s and Brock’s alma mater. Then watch one of Stock’s pressers.

I rest my case.

The leadership (Stock, Massaro, McPhee) never leveraged the success of Blue Raider Football in 2009 after the NOLA Bowl and it’s been a downhill slide into mediocrity and low expectations ever since. There is absolutely no excuse why this program hasn’t won a CUSA Football title since joining the league.
Just Google the Mike Norvell introductory press conference at Stock’s and Brock’s alma mater. Then watch one of Stock’s pressers.

I rest my case.
W/L record aside, Stock looks exhausted, worn down, and even a bit frustrated.

Win or lose, Stockstill's press conferences are usually dry.

Outside looking in, I think Stock is more of an introvert who loves football, loves the kids, and probably does a good in-home visit. When he's forced to do the more "extroverted" stuff (press conference, publicity stuff), it drains him.

Norvell, James Franklin, and even someone like Kiffin are more extroverted and gain energy from the crowds

We hired the guy and he was like that. This goes back years ago. Can't blame the guy for who he is. Never a personality. That's what irked me about him from day one. In my opinion you want to coach and be left alone go to the NFL. College Football is doing press, doing publicity, working with boosters, recruiting players, fans, and community, and coaching. You do only one of those things you get what we got. I think that proves itself over time. How many dinners or BRAA things has the guy done? As many as Wiley probably.

W/L record aside, Stock looks exhausted, worn down, and even a bit frustrated.

Win or lose, Stockstill's press conferences are usually dry.

Outside looking in, I think Stock is more of an introvert who loves football, loves the kids, and probably does a good in-home visit. When he's forced to do the more "extroverted" stuff (press conference, publicity stuff), it drains him.

Norvell, James Franklin, and even someone like Kiffin are more extroverted and gain energy from the crowds

I agree with you that Stockstill in probably an introvert, however, being enthusiastic and energetic should be part of the job description for today's football coach. You should have a personality and be willing to get out and promote the program.

I’m guessing any staff changes that will occur happens after the AFCA convention in Mid-January.

Internally, why would Stock change anything? Massaro basically blamed facilities and injuries for 4-8. Mediocre is an enabler.

I really do not care what personality they have as long as they win. Only entertainment I need is watching my team win football games. Obvious that is not happening either.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
I've spoken to Stock twice in his tenure here and both times he clearly was uncomfortable in the "meet and greet" circumstance. On one occasion he immediately went to a player and interacted with him showing me he was clearly more comfortable with someone he knew than interacting with BRAA members who he needed to "glad hand" with. There is a place for introverts in the coaching world (or any field); as advisors, "devils advocates" to question decisions and give opposing views, and as behinds the scene operatives. I know because I'm one.

I've stated several times that there is a reason Stock was a long-time assistant before getting the MT job. So hard for me to believe he had the great recruiter reputation. Perhaps he was a good recruiting coordinator behind the scenes.

It seems plausible to me that Stock got the MT job because of his prior relationship and comfort level with Massaro where his lack of both social skills and an outgoing personality were not a hindrance. Massaro then shepherded Stock through the process with McPhee and other PTB in order for him to be hired.

I have no reason to doubt that Stock is a good man, a hard worker, a good father, loyal, a players coach, and he was probably a valued assistant to those he worked under. As for the leader of a program, not so much. Certainly not what MT needs going forward at this crucial time.

Reactions: MTLynn
The last personal interaction I had with Stock was in 2014 before the BYU game walking up the ramp to the stadium from the Murphy Center. I said, “big game”. He kinda sneered at me and said, “they’re all big” then kept on walking. I think he was still po’d at me for raising sand with Massaro about the Tommy West hire.

I was crushed.

Saban acts like he lives under a bridge and eats puppies out of a hubcap, but no one cares because he wins.

You can have the personality of wet cardboard if your program can draw fans in other ways. Ours has neither a salesman at the helm, nor a compelling on-field product.

I'm over blaming Stock. He is who he is and who he always was. He's a mediocre coach who is following his bosses' instructions to have a high APR, no embarassing incidents, and accomplish nothing more than bowl eligibility. The program's true problem is the lack of ambition of the guys above him.

Saban acts like he lives under a bridge and eats puppies out of a hubcap, but no one cares because he wins.

You can have the personality of wet cardboard if your program can draw fans in other ways. Ours has neither a salesman at the helm, nor a compelling on-field product.

I'm over blaming Stock. He is who he is and who he always was. He's a mediocre coach who is following his bosses' instructions to have a high APR, no embarassing incidents, and accomplish nothing more than bowl eligibility. The program's true problem is the lack of ambition of the guys above him.

I have heard Saban is completely different at alumni events and with recruits/players than with media.

I agree with you though. Can’t blame Stock for doing what he does. If your boss tells you that everything is great and makes excuses for you when you don’t achieve, why would you change?

seems everyone from 7 wood, mediocre massaro, so Mr. 500 have the Little Middle mentality.

Reactions: blueraiderJT
At the risk of sounding like a broken record (yes record players are making a comeback), it’s culture and it’s more culture.

Our latest culture exhibit: Austin Peay State University Football under Coach Hudspeth and Healey. Two wins in the FCS playoffs and the possibility for more exists. APSU has matched our all time playoff wins in a season (MT had 2 in 1984)—not bad for a school having a 4-39 record against EKU until winning a couple years ago and Boots earning APSUs only co-championship until this year. Saw the OVC Facebook page exclaiming the win totals of member and former member universities. The great EKU under Roy Kidd was our nemesis and often our roadblock to a national championship under Boots. For some reason, we always found a way to stumble in 1-AA/FCS: injuries, poor team preparation, turnovers, a wild 4th quarter fake punt at Boise in 1990, or a disastrous late hit penalty that allowed Marshall to keep a drive going after we had cut the deficit to 28-13 early in the 4th in 1992. Next time we saw the ball it was 35-13 with over half the quarter gone, and we fought back to make it 35-21. Not a great day for Kelly either, but thats how it is. Lost an OVC Championship in Boots final home game as coach in 1998; all we had to do is cover an onside kick and get on one knee to run out 1:25 and EIU burn it’s one timeout remaining. Tennessee State won that one. Almost a champion can be such a cruel word phrase!!

Twenty seven years has passed without an outright championship. The close of fourteen years with the same head coach just an eyelash above.500 overall is our result. New energy, ideas, and accountability is the mandatory ingredients needed in football. Our leadership is focused on everything else but success; we only “compete” and collect the P5 paychecks. MT has lost sight of the landscape: It’s facilities, media, recruitment, coaching, and strength conditioning. All of our culture needs a total reboot! This is 2020: many students have no memory of our 1-AA days, we have to build tradition WITH a commitment to excellence to regain relevance. It’s obvious we cannot get there with this regime in place because we have not proven we can win with high consistency and that is proven in our dismal bowl record.

Until we get commitment at the highest level to be the best and have proper accountability, we won’t be winning or contending anytime soon: more deterioration is the forecast. Deeds not words are what’s needed for MT Football.

He's making like 200k a year. He couldn't care less about the job he's doing as long as he has that check coming in.

Saban can do what he wants. It's BAMA. They have 90k come out to the spring game. We have 9 people show up to our jacked up practice or whatever the hell it is. We have to have young blood to build energy and give people reasons to be there.

BTW, we lost Zeke Cobb who was a 3 star WR. He received his 2nd rape charge about 30 days ago.

Most of the community has long since checked out. The casual spectators have also long since bailed. The fence sitters who really want to engage but want to see the ROI for their time and money are gone.

About all that’s left are a few remaining diehards and the vast majority of them have jumped ship too. I’m completely off the wagon. As I said before I will not return until I see significant change. And I’m a person who donates, buys tickets, merch, bowl tix, etc. I also do this from 700 miles away. I used to fly in four or five times a football season just for the games. That started trending to just a few a year as I became more concerned with the direction and lack of trajectory in the program. This past season I went to just one - the woodshed beatdown by what we know now was a pedestrian Duke team. As I said before that will be my final game until I see substantial and significant change.

I’m one of the few left who have even still cared to come to games at all. I have no further recourse than to voice my displeasure with the current state of the program than joining in the vast majority of people who have already made that choice. I’ve been moving in that direction for years anyway, but it’s clear we have no leadership who is invested in fielding a championship quality program much less a best of the rest type program.

Most of the community has long since checked out. The casual spectators have also long since bailed. The fence sitters who really want to engage but want to see the ROI for their time and money are gone.

About all that’s left are a few remaining diehards and the vast majority of them have jumped ship too. I’m completely off the wagon. As I said before I will not return until I see significant change. And I’m a person who donates, buys tickets, merch, bowl tix, etc. I also do this from 700 miles away. I used to fly in four or five times a football season just for the games. That started trending to just a few a year as I became more concerned with the direction and lack of trajectory in the program. This past season I went to just one - the woodshed beatdown by what we know now was a pedestrian Duke team. As I said before that will be my final game until I see substantial and significant change.

I’m one of the few left who have even still cared to come to games at all. I have no further recourse than to voice my displeasure with the current state of the program than joining in the vast majority of people who have already made that choice. I’ve been moving in that direction for years anyway, but it’s clear we have no leadership who is invested in fielding a championship quality program much less a best of the rest type program.
This is almost my situation verbatim, only went to the Duke game, had intended to go to more but was never motivated to do so. Thats likely what I will be doing until acceptable change is made, 1-2 games a season. I have a much better time at Minor League Soccer games. 4-5 years ago if someone would have told me that, I would tell them they had lost their minds. Hopefully soon I will be compelled to be a regular at Johnny Pink Floyd Stadium again, it just became an obligation to go and once I started asking why I did it, I could not find an answer.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
His arraignment hearing was supposed to be on Nov. 26th. How did that turn out? Is he still in custody or did he bond out? Trial date? Charges dismissed/reduced?

According to the Circuit Court website, it was rescheduled. He has a plea hearing on Dec. 20 and a motion hearing on Jan.10. His bond was $60k and it was posted on Nov 18.

Reactions: MTLynn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT