ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL What are the three biggest wins in MTSU football history...?

Matt Dossett

All American
Staff
May 14, 2016
I'm a young gun, who graduated in 2016. IMO:
1. Georgia Tech beatdown
2. Maryland
3. 05 v Vanderbilt, preventing them from bowl eligibility

Reactions: cipman2000
In my experience I’d probably put 2001 Vanderbilt high up the list. New Orleans Bowl win. And Georgia Tech win.

The problem with our history of big wins is that we never have had success building on them for any length of time. They all seem to just live in their own silo.

There were some great wins in the 1-AA era but others are much better at talking about those.

2012 GT
2009 Bowl Win So. Miss
2005 Vandy with Jay Cutler

honorable mentions...

2013 Marshall with Cato
2016 La Tech
2016 Mizzou
2017 Syracuse
2015 Marshall (10 win team)

05 was good only in that candy was undefeated going into that game. We were awful that year (about the same as now).

Matt: I appreciate you trying to get a little discussion going among the few remaining posters on this site. I wish the fan base as well as the number of readers/posters didn't seem to be decreasing exponentially. As for me I don't think I have ever been as disheartened as a MT fan as I am now.
FB mired in mediocrity for a decade (being in a championship game might have meant something if we had a decent crowd and the game hadn't been lost the way is was) and the most disappointing BkB season in my 50+/- years of fandom (at least I know that multiple star ratings can sometimes mean absolutely nothing). I have no hope that BkB will be significantly better next year and as opposed to some of you fans I just don't think a couple of new assistants along with a few better recruits will do enough to change the culture in FB. Adding to the misery none of the minor sports (yes, I include BB) are anything to brag about.

Back to your question: Not necessarily the biggest wins but the games which gave me the most pleasure in the D-1 era were the 1st and 3rd games at the school on West End and the N. O. Bowl.

My question(s): Will we ever have another significant win in FB?; Will the school I have spent a lifetime supporting even have FB (or an athletic program) in a decade? Will I care?

2001 Vandy
NO Bowl
Flip a coin between Maryland and Missouri

While the Ga Tech win was nice, that was also a $hitty Ga Tech team. I believe they finished with a losing record (and still went bowling).

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
I agree with most sentiments above. I mostly read but don't post as much anymore, just because of the apathy, but its still fun to vent.

Next time, we should do a losses thread! A top 10 would suffice.

As for the wins, I think the 2009 N.O. Bowl is the highpoint. The 2005 Vandy win was the premier pre-Stockstill win. Hard to really pick a third to me. Most of those kind of run together as the other posters have touched on.

Next time, we should do a losses thread! A top 10 would suffice.

Can't help it...want to see how easy this is. Can work out the order later.
1. Troy collapse at home that cost us a bowl game
2. FAU season opener, lost on last second busted coverage
3. Alabama - Freddie Roach's pick six off Andrico Hines
4. UK - blocked FG return called back, then tackled at 1 yard line
5. Missouri - missed XP
6. Vandy homecoming
7. NT - 2001 with 80 yard punt. Our only conference loss. NT bowls with 5-6 record.
8. Virginia at home
9. SEMO
10. McNeese St

A lot easier than it should have been.

5. Missouri - missed XP
6. Vandy homecoming
7. NT - 2001 with 80 yard punt. Our only conference loss. NT bowls with 5-6 record.
8. Virginia at home
9. SEMO
10. McNeese St

No doubt

it is almost hilarious when I think about these. The Troy loss with people lined up around the fences ready to storm the field...wasn't an onside kick recovered at the end of that game by Troy?

FAU season opener in 2003 was the Thursday before my wedding day... "Allen back to throw...fumbles the ball...picks it up......throws it...caught...and......he's gonna go all the way for a touchdown......20 to 19".

Alabama game....I got a speeding ticket on the way home from that hot day. I turned red in that sun.

UK game...that stunk. Long drive home...when he was tackled at the one, it was so hard but the KY faithful knew they dodged a big ole bullet.

2001 NT game. Listening to that game on the radio going you got to be kidding me. Fouts field....

Virginia at home - Stock didn't let Dwight Dasher do his thing and played not to lose. One of the first times I knew we were in trouble with Rick.

Semo - After getting beat by Alabama, UT, and Kentucky....we lost to ... Southeast Missouri State. Did we even lead that game? At halftime, it smelled like an upset.

McNeese State - There should never been a contract extension........

5. Missouri - missed XP
6. Vandy homecoming
8. Virginia at home
9. SEMO
10. McNeese St

Last edited:
I think a top ten of losses would include the blow out loss up in Bowling Green where me and some others left before the bands took to the field for halftime. Think this was Brent's freshman year? I swore I would never travel beyond Nashville for a road game while stockstill remained head coach. Violated that oath to travel to New Orleans bowl and got thanked for it by a blow out loss to Appy state.

Maybe the bowl blow out to Navy. Black eye for the program how that went...

5. Missouri - missed XP
6. Vandy homecoming
8. Virginia at home
9. SEMO
10. McNeese St

I remember all of those games.So close but so far. Can we get the excitement back inter ‘Boro?

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Speaking of losses...

The last game I went to in person in Murfreesboro was the WKU game where we lost on a blocked PAT in 2016 in double OT. That was probably the most talented team we've ever had offensively.

Brent threw for 434, Mathers ran for 143, Richie had 223 yards. I firmly believe if we win that game fortune smiles on us for once and Brent doesn't get hurt and we run the table in conference.

That North Texas loss in 2001 was horrible. They were hyping middle Tennessee up that morning on college game day and then we go out and lay that egg against an 0-5 team.

Games that I had a great time with friends watching

Georgia Southern. Goalposts down
Loss to Alabama. Future looks bright. Massive momentum
At Georgia. Big caravan of us went down for that one. Great time.
Georgia Tech. Stunned the nation.
Thursday night victory at Vandy. Met the mother of my children that night at Broadway Brewhouse.
Vanderbilt at Corner Pub. Vandy missed fied goal? I jumped up and ran around the bar shouting. I almost got thrown out.

Reactions: MT Glenn
I would also add the 45-0 drubbing by Arkansas State in 2012 to the list of losses.
Malzahn took Stock to school for the 2nd year in a row in that one after Freeze held an offensive clinic in Murfreesboro the year before. I sat right behind the ASU bench and watched Freeze laugh with his assistants after play calls. It was pretty sad how easy it was for him.

Speaking of losses...

The last game I went to in person in Murfreesboro was the WKU game where we lost on a blocked PAT in 2016 in double OT. That was probably the most talented team we've ever had offensively.

Brent threw for 434, Mathers ran for 143, Richie had 223 yards. I firmly believe if we win that game fortune smiles on us for once and Brent doesn't get hurt and we run the table in conference.
We came into town for that game. Had it circled on the calendar. Great game.. bad outcome..

ADVERTISEMENT