ADVERTISEMENT

We're staying

I understand the schools are in different realms money wise, but even Vandy is making some moves.

I just saw the VU commitment this morning: the arms race just keeps on accelerating and no way in hell a school like MT can keep up. We lost the fight when the NCAA gave TV rights (and the resulting income) to conferences and individual schools. Twenty years ago when we went to D-1 in FB no one could have imagined the disparity in finances between the haves and have-nots could have become so great.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
Very interesting. Wouldn’t it be nice if we had a paper that dug that deep for Middle?

"That was kind of interesting because all the presidents of the 14 Conference USA schools were together in Dallas for their fall meetings," Stewart said. "They were together on Sunday the 17th and on Monday the 18th – in the room together – and then the night of the 18th it's learned that six are leaving, including North Texas, and their president (Dr. Neal J. Smatresk) was the chair of the Conference USA executive committee. That's what happens on Oct. 18, and that therefore sets off a chain reaction and that's where we are now."

Great Article! I find it fascinating how Todd communicates. No mention of GOR or money. He wrote to build a fan base. When we get something it is never about the fans.

Per the Article
I did have somebody that I respect a lot tell me that if everything about Western Kentucky was the same and you were in Nashville, you would be No. 1 on everybody's list,

Well…..who is in Nashville? And who didn’t get the invite?
We all know the reasons why
Shame on the 3 amigos

We also do not have a media to write an in-depth article this in depth to keep what few fans we have informed . But I guess you also have to have an AD that is transparent

Reactions: TRUEBLUE73
We had an invite from the MAC Marjac23. We turned it down. Thank god

We had an invite from the MAC Marjac23. We turned it down. Thank god
Whatever
…Invited…Turned it down…..
I don’t think anyone believes the MAC was the answer and I don’t think anyone is thrilled about staying in a watered down conference USA.
My point ( that I failed to make) from the article, is that is that we are a position geographically that we could have possibly joined the North Texas’ the UTSAs’, etc. I don’t think anybody would be balking at that. Instead we get the b**ch slapping we deserve because of our leadership

Whatever
…Invited…Turned it down…..
I don’t think anyone believes the MAC was the answer and I don’t think anyone is thrilled about staying in a watered down conference USA.
My point ( that I failed to make) from the article, is that is that we are a position geographically that we could have possibly joined the North Texas’ the UTSAs’, etc. I don’t think anybody would be balking at that. Instead we get the b**ch slapping we deserve because of our leadership
AAC wasn't happening as long as Memphis is there

Pathetic leadership has set university back 20 years.

Reminds me of that great Everybody Loves Raymond episode where his parents move to a retirement community. Much to the kids' chagrin, the retirement community throws the parents out for their generally poor consideration of others. Raymond finally has the realization that, "it's not us, it's you." Your generation, your peers have spoken, it's not us, it's you!

Similarly, the NCAA university leadership community has spoken about MTSU's leadership. Most do not want MTSU, and I firmly believe that this is a huge reflection upon the leadership of MTSU.

The article mentioning Nashville elevating to a top selection makes me sick when I consider MT's leadership. MT might not be downtown, but MT is in the overall metro area and media market. With a bunch of winning and some hard work, MT could certainly make good inroads with the Nashville media. Heck, Kermit made decent progress not only with area media but national sports media. But I digress. It is such a massive failure for M&M to not have seized upon the gargantuan growth and national attention and prestige of Nashville.

Now leaders of other conferences and universities have spoken regarding MTSU and it's leadership, and it's not us, it's you.

Meanwhile….our friends 100 miles to the north are laying the wood to FAU with their 7th Head Coach in 9 years with two CUSA titles and 4 bowl wins over the AAC (USF and Memphis) and the MAC (Central Mich. and Western Mich.) But I couldn’t tell you what their graduation rate is or their APR (nor do I really care.)😂😂

Last edited:
Might not be a good idea to fly the MTSU flag or window stickers if you are headed up I-65 for the holidays and passing through Bowling Green. Just sayin’. 😂

UTSA is at the pinnacle of success in CUSA right now. You can't do better than being undefeated. Who cares? No one saw them come back in a dogfight Saturday because it was on ESPN+. Staying in this conference means being invisible no matter how well we do. Would the MAC be any better? Good question but they are way closer to the ESPN apparatus than we are. Western Michigan got tons of press in 2016. They got exposure all over ESPN that year. No CUSA team since we've been in it has. To me, that is why we shoud have gone. What money are we gonna make in CUSA? Not sh!t. We get some now but it won't be well spent because we aren't making any changes to the leadership. Just doing the bare minimum to draw the nice check. That's what got us here in the first place. Doing anything different would have helped. Doing the same won't. People can feel how they want to but there is 8 years of decline of interest with a terrible media package to support my argument. It is what it is. We had an unexcusable loss and neither the head coach or the AD said sh!t about it. That's what's up.

UTSA is at the pinnacle of success in CUSA right now. You can't do better than being undefeated. Who cares? No one saw them come back in a dogfight Saturday because it was on ESPN+. Staying in this conference means being invisible no matter how well we do. Would the MAC be any better? Good question but they are way closer to the ESPN apparatus than we are. Western Michigan got tons of press in 2016. They got exposure all over ESPN that year. No CUSA team since we've been in it has. To me, that is why we shoud have gone. What money are we gonna make in CUSA? Not sh!t. We get some now but it won't be well spent because we aren't making any changes to the leadership. Just doing the bare minimum to draw the nice check. That's what got us here in the first place. Doing anything different would have helped. Doing the same won't. People can feel how they want to but there is 8 years of decline of interest with a terrible media package to support my argument. It is what it is. We had an unexcusable loss and neither the head coach or the AD said sh!t about it. That's what's up.

I think it's death to stay in CUSA.

My hope is that we can use this investment to position ourselves for Sunbelt or AAC.

If that fails, the MAC TV deal has a couple more years before its up for negotiation, so, in theory, the door isn't completely slammed shut. We can milk CUSA for some cash and then call up and offer us and WKU a package deal.

Last edited:
I mean UTSA vs UTEP was flexed to ESPN2. The biggest difference in that season and this one is Cincinnati. They are #4 in the CFP currently and they’ve been ranked highly all season. They are getting all of the G5 press. Western Michigan did not have that situation. The first CFP rankings debuted them at #23 that year and they were the highest rated G5 program all the way until bowl season. They also had two P5 wins on the road compared to UTSA having one. One of WMU’s P5 wins was a blowout. They pretty much blew out everyone on their schedule. WMU going into bowl week was #15 in the CFP rankings that season the next highest G5 was a 10-3 Temple at #24. The reason CUSA isn’t getting the publicity from UTSA like the MAC got from WMU is because they are being overshadowed by a historically good G5 about to make the playoffs. We can complain about our TV deal, which is justified but this is not because of that contract.

I think it's death to stay in CUSA.

My hope is that we can use this investment to position ourselves for Sunbelt or AAC.

If that fails, the MAC TV deal has a couple more years before its up for negotiation, so, in theory, the door isn't completely slammed shut. We can milk CUSA for some cash and then call up and offer us and WKU a package deal.
This is what I'm betting happens.

Most MAC and Sun Belt games are also on ESPN+. Being on ESPN on Tuesdays does not bring viewers. Most casual fans would not watch 11-0 MTSU vs 11-0 WKU on a Tuesday or Wednesday night.

Most MAC and Sun Belt games are also on ESPN+. Being on ESPN on Tuesdays does not bring viewers. Most casual fans would not watch 11-0 MTSU vs 11-0 WKU on a Tuesday or Wednesday night.

What's the alternative - streaming a game on ESPN+ up against Alabama vs Texas at 3:30 on a Saturday?

Heck yeah we're going to get more people tuned in on a Tuesday or Wednesday night.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
None of the MAC midweek games over the past two weeks drew even 100K viewers. So much for all that exposure people think they get.

None of the MAC midweek games over the past two weeks drew even 100K viewers. So much for all that exposure people think they get.
What is your source?

I don't know what the number of viewers were in the last MAC mid-week games, but during week 10 of the 2015 season there were 856,000 and 622,000 viewers respectively. That may not seem like a lot to you, but on a Saturday, MAC games can barely find their way on to network television channels, and the same can be said for other G5 conferences.

From the article, "How the Rise of MACtion Forever Changed MAC Fandom"

But the viewership numbers seemingly justify the decision. On a Saturday, MAC games can barely find their way on to network television channels. Take Week 8 of this season, when the MAC featured six games, all of which were played on Saturday. One was aired on CBS Sports Network, a channel that may or may not come with a cable sports package; two were on ESPN3, ESPN’s streaming service that comes with cable subscriptions; three were on ESPN+, ESPN’s new subscription-based streaming service that can be purchased without a cable subscription. I can’t tell you how many people watched: CBS Sports Network is not Nielsen-rated, and ESPN doesn’t release the streaming figures on games. But the sheer amount of searching fans would’ve had to put in to find them likely meant the totals were low.

The weeknight numbers, on the other hand, speak for themselves. Look at Week 10 of the 2015 season, when a Tuesday-night Northern Illinois–Toledo game drew 856,000 viewers, while a Wednesday-night Ohio–Bowling Green game drew 622,000. It’s tough to find any figures for Saturday MAC games, both because there are so few of them now and because most tracking sites list only the top 150 shows on cable on a given day. The last game for which I can find the number is a 2017 Buffalo–Western Michigan game on ESPNU, which drew 90,000 viewers.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Do you have CUSA streaming numbers to compare it to?
I don’t because ratings are only provided for the three main ESPN networks, FS1, and four primary stations. CBS Sports Network is not included in the ratings for some reason.

I don’t because ratings are only provided for the three main ESPN networks, FS1, and four primary stations. CBS Sports Network is not included in the ratings for some reason.

I only have anecdotal evidence- I’m far more likely to watch a G5 game if it’s on a weekday vs up against some of the really prime college football matches on Saturday.

And as I’ve mentioned before, from what I recall of my days as a student and living near the boro, I do recall some big weekday crowds.

ain't nobody watching us on stadium and streaming. We would get more viewers and fans on weeknight games than on weekends playing at the same time UT does. For freak sake. We got 25k with FAU at home on a Tuesday night. We got 28k with Troy at MT on a Tuesday night in 2010. We also had 24k for the Minnesota game on a Thursday night in 2010. We ain't seen numbers like that in forever. More students can attend because they are on campus and such. I'll tell you this right now. It would draw much better than we did playing FIU when UT played UGA. LOL. It's a laughable argument really but keep thinking we are better off doing the same BS that doesn't work. Remember, Judy got us here and she will take us farther down the crap hole.

There was once a fella who lived a propserous happy life in a medium sized town, but he thought more happiness could be found in the big city. He was dead wrong. He moved to the big city and was totally ignored and totally locked out from participating in the big city economy. He was surrounded by milllions of people but found himself totally alone. He was occasionally invited to the parties hosted by the established elite, but was always forced to remain outside and watch the big city folk through the window.

If MT was smart and was actually interested in keeping an athletics program, they'd reach out to WKU, both eat a piece of humble pie, and go back to the Sunbelt with hats in hand.

MT needs to stop trying to be something theyll never be and bloom where planted.

There was once a fella who lived a propserous happy life in a medium sized town, but he thought more happiness could be found in the big city. He was dead wrong. He moved to the big city and was totally ignored and totally locked out from participating in the big city economy. He was surrounded by milllions of people but found himself totally alone. He was occasionally invited to the parties hosted by the established elite, but was always forced to remain outside and watch the big city folk through the window.

If MT was smart and was actually interested in keeping an athletics program, they'd reach out to WKU, both eat a piece of humble pie, and go back to the Sunbelt with hats in hand.

MT needs to stop trying to be something theyll never be and bloom where planted.
Why would the SBC take us?

Stability. It would essentially be the death pin in CUSA. Means G4, not G5 and we all know it is gonna come down to the G schools being in their own so called division. Less pieces to split the $ pie between.

All G5 schools have until 2025-2026 season at the latest to get sorted out because that is the latest there will be a new playoff. And if the P5 have their way, there will be one G5 team if any in. It will come down to having a G5 champ.

I'm not sure the invitation to join the SBC is on the table.

If it were, I'd be SHOCKED if MT / WKU didn't take it.

TBH, it's my opinion the SBC was a bit petty when MT / WKU exited. They chose a 7-5 WKU over an 8-4 MT in 2013 (when MT exited the conference) and then let an 8-4 WKU team stay at home in favor of a lesser team the next year. I get it may the conference's right to chose who goes where, but don't believe there aren't hard feelings or consequences when folks decide to go their separate ways.

By 2026, it could be the G6, with the Big 12 no longer being a power conference.
I can see that happening.

AAC will not carry the same clout they currently do once the others depart, and the new ones arrive.

The MWC will probably take over as top G5 conference. Multiple schools playing good ball. There has to be a reason none of their schools wanted to join AAC.

I'm not sure the invitation to join the SBC is on the table.

If it were, I'd be SHOCKED if MT / WKU didn't take it.

TBH, it's my opinion the SBC was a bit petty when MT / WKU exited. They chose a 7-5 WKU over an 8-4 MT in 2013 (when MT exited the conference) and then let an 8-4 WKU team stay at home in favor of a lesser team the next year. I get it may the conference's right to chose who goes where, but don't believe there aren't hard feelings or consequences when folks decide to go their separate ways.
Be curious to hear what was said behind closed doors when all of that went down.

Great point. Right now MT doesnt have much to offer other than "Hey, we are close to Nashville and your fans can visit Nashville while theyre in Mboro for the game."

It is literally depressing to attend sporting events at MT. There's more excitement at a Univ of Phoenix football game than MT has.

We desperately need a new staff. Sometimes you just need fresh blood for the sake of it. Rick's had 16 and going on 17 years here to do his thing. He hasn't won enough games to build our program and excite our fanbase. It's been time for someone else to have a go at it. It is remarkable that our administration wouldn't make a change when the program has literally slowly died over the last 5 years.

Honestly though, now, why pay the buy out? The program is already dead. I don't believe firing him now changes anything in terms of support/attendance numbers. Sure, it might attract a handful of people back, but that's it. Peanuts. I'd just keep him and save the money and make it clear to him there's no more extensions are coming. For 2022, if we can find a QB next year we might actually push for the East anyway. We return a ton of talent next year and I really like this signing class. I think Kyle Lowe can be a special player.

I don't see any sense firing him and paying all that buyout money now. We've suffered this long and the program is dead anyway. So just ride with it. We have good coordinators but some terrible position coaches. That's always kind of been the problem with MT Football. There's always been SOME good things to hang a hat on....but then also bad things that run all the fans off.

ADVERTISEMENT