ADVERTISEMENT

We're staying

That’s interesting, how confident are you they will join?

not sure, it’s just been one of the rumors going around. It’s floating around WKUs board as well.

i definitely believe we will push for a 10 team league though. So if it’s not MO St, it’ll be somebody. Hopefully we are patient and add someone that really benefits the conference.

Missouri State is usually strong in basketball, baseball, and football can probably beat the crap of a Stockstill coached team

Missouri State would certainly lessen the blow and would be a great add for WBB

They are the target. And it looks like 10
Members does get you a championship
Game for football. I imagine the full court press is on for Mo St.

What about McNeese? Been posts saying CUSA wnats them too and they turned down WAC for a reason. Not saying I want them, but just curious. I say we stay at 10. Sometimes less is more.

Reactions: C-Bow

CUSA is an unappealing dumpster fire of gross schools I have no interest in watching us lose to - not that I would either be able to on our "network" or would be interested in giving up a Saturday afternoon to watch anyway. I'd venture to guess that many other folks will tend to agree.

However, it appears we have our concrete answer (as many on there speculated) as to the why we declined the MAC - we're broke.

For all the (alleged) brain power in the MT AD - they still haven't figured out that the way to make money and run an athletic dept isn't just to wallow in mediocrity for as long as some conference will cut you a small check - it's to make your fans, boosters, donors, alums actually take an interest in your program and want to give you their money.

Personally, I don't think any of it will make a difference - The fanciest IPF in the world isn't going to make a difference if your wet blanket head coach doesn't bother to recruit players with any upper level talent anyway. We'll really be able to impress those kids who's only other offers are Western Carolina, the College of the Ozarks, and the Plant City Florida Strawberry festival 4H!

The most interesting thing is what happens when that exit fee money runs out and we're still sending our volleyball team to Las Cruces and Lynchburg.

it appears we have our concrete answer (as many on there speculated) as to the why we declined the MAC - we're broke.

"...MTSU could not have easily afforded to pay the $3 million exit fee to leave C-USA and then pay an additional $5 million fee to join the MAC.

Instead, MTSU will receive $5 million to stay, presumably coming from the $20-plus million in exit fees C-USA will get from the departures of Charlotte, Florida Atlantic, North Texas, Rice, UAB and UTSA (AAC) and Marshall, Old Dominion and Southern Miss (Sun Belt) that can be divided among the five remaining league members.

“Right now, their [annual] athletic budget is somewhere between $33 and $34 million, last time I checked, so you’re looking at adding 15-17 percent of your athletic budget in one year just by staying,” a source close to the situation and who asked to go unnamed told the Post..."

ROI for exiting and entrance fees? I just don't see how a move to the MAC made sense financially. Our leadership, as clueless and out of touch as they are, may have, unintentionally, stumbled into the wiser decision.

ROI for exiting and entrance fees? I just don't see how a move to the MAC made sense financially. Our leadership, as clueless and out of touch as they are, may have, unintentionally, stumbled into the wiser decision.

Certainly, in the short term, there's no debate about that.

But that money is going to be used up eventually. I'm not sure how sustainable CUSA will be after that 2-4 year period.

Short term, absolutely.

I worry it is too little, too late and not enough will be completed yet, or started even, to show AAC we are committed. The next domino will fall soon once the B12 shrinks.

staying put? that's good news. moving back to sunbelt? would have been even better news.

I think that's the goal (or AAC). I keep thinking back to that map of the new Sunbelt. There's a giant hole right where us and WKU are. It's too good of a fit.

We need an all out blitz on investing in our programs - starting tomorrow. New coaches, new facilities, new efforts and outreach to try and engage our fans again.

They need to act like they're on a time limit - they have 3 years to get us out of this dumpster fire of a conference.

I think that's the goal (or AAC). I keep thinking back to that map of the new Sunbelt. There's a giant hole right where us and WKU are. It's too good of a fit.

We need an all out blitz on investing in our programs - starting tomorrow. New coaches, new facilities, new efforts and outreach to try and engage our fans again.

They need to act like they're on a time limit - they have 3 years to get us out of this dumpster fire of a conference.
Very hard work is required now MT and WKU’s conference fate is cast. I don’t think a move will be pending in 3-years (maybe for WKU?) because leadership and BOT do not have credibility nor accountability to make big moves happen in that time. Our engagement, fund raising and budget, facilities, recruiting, and coaching are all too deficient for a higher conference at this point. Take something small like our football scoreboard— even high schools like Franklin Co. and Wilson Co. now have comparable replay screens. Our facilities in general are aging and look accordingly and our improvements end up like curing deferred maintenance. Our terrestrial radio coverage on AM and FM was better and deeper across the Mid State when Monte Hale Sr owned the old 96.3 WMTS (Hale Broadcasting) back in the late ‘70s. I’m sure there are dozens of other smaller examples where MT Blue Raiders fail to keep up in FBS neighborhood. Until then, our place in athletics is with newbie FBS institutions and with those who can only operate from a bare bones budget.

Firm commitments, accountability, and results on the field and court (along with the classroom) will be the only sure way to cure our chronic Raider Blues.

I legitimately think McPhee is being paid to keep the university down. There is no other explanation to all of the horrendous decisions that continue to happen.
If you were trying to keep a university down, how would you do it?

Very hard work is required now MT and WKU’s conference fate is cast. I don’t think a move will be pending in 3-years (maybe for WKU?) because leadership and BOT do not have credibility nor accountability to make big moves happen in that time. Our engagement, fund raising and budget, facilities, recruiting, and coaching are all too deficient for a higher conference at this point. Take something small like our football scoreboard— even high schools like Franklin Co. and Wilson Co. now have comparable replay screens. Our facilities in general are aging and look accordingly and our improvements end up like curing deferred maintenance. Our terrestrial radio coverage on AM and FM was better and deeper across the Mid State when Monte Hale Sr owned the old 96.3 WMTS (Hale Broadcasting) back in the late ‘70s. I’m sure there are dozens of other smaller examples where MT Blue Raiders fail to keep up in FBS neighborhood. Until then, our place in athletics is with newbie FBS institutions and with those who can only operate from a bare bones budget.

Firm commitments, accountability, and results on the field and court (along with the classroom) will be the only sure way to cure our chronic Raider Blues.

I think there's a narrow window in order to make an impact and get the Belt to take notice. I have a feeling that they would like to invite us, but just not in our current state, so I don't think the window is closed.

It starts with new coaches. That's the easiest and quickest move to make. McDevitt's a dead man walking anyway. Sleepy Stock just doesn't have the juice to fire up the fan base no matter what. We need new blood and faces who can sell this program.

We can talk about IPF's and facilities, and they're certainly important, but as a fan, I don't get to use them. So what do I really care?

But you give me a new football coach, a guy who looks like he wants to be here, is excited to be here, and wants to do more than just "compete", and i'll buy a ticket next fall. I might even scrounge up some bucks for the BRAA.

Look at the engagement (almost universally negative) on the social media from our recent announcements. I don't buy that we have no fans. We have fans. I've been part of 20-25k+ in Floyd in the mid-2000's. I've seen the Murph with tons of fans during the Kermit days. They just have no reason to buy the garbage they've been selling for years now.

The MAC ship has sailed. If we want to survive and thrive, we need to start doing the right things quickly to rebuild this program. They can't plead broke anymore - we know they're getting the cash. It's time to use it.

The only way we get into the AAC would be if Memphis and SMU leave. If they do, what is left besides schools we were with in C-USA? Tulane, ECU, Tulsa, Temple, USF. Any of those really move the needle?

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Compared to Liberty, Sam Houston, New Mexico State, and Jacksonville State? That needle is getting punted to the moon.
Well, when you add UNT, Rice, FAU, UTSA, UAM and Charlotte with Tulane, ECU, Tulsa, Temple, Navy and USF, it's not a great list. Name recognition, I guess they win. As far as competitive teams go, we are now much more even with them than we are with the SBC.

The next TV contracts will tell it all. See how bad losing OU and TX hurt the B12, and wouldn't be surprised if the AAC deal gets reworked.

Big test will be CUSA's new deal. We've got to get dirt moving ASAP.

B12 2025 $20m per school
AAC 2032 $7m
SBC 2031 $600k
MAC 2027 $600k
CUSA 2023 $500k

Tenn Tech's plans are smart and realisitic which is why it's happening. If they pull it off, it will be the nicest facility in the OVC by far.

Our plans are not realistic. We have a hotel in our plans. A friggin hotel. LOL. This is what we're dealing with. Give me Tech's AD. An IPF could have happened years ago. There is no excuse.

CUSA is an unappealing dumpster fire of gross schools I have no interest in watching us lose to - not that I would either be able to on our "network" or would be interested in giving up a Saturday afternoon to watch anyway. I'd venture to guess that many other folks will tend to agree.

However, it appears we have our concrete answer (as many on there speculated) as to the why we declined the MAC - we're broke.

For all the (alleged) brain power in the MT AD - they still haven't figured out that the way to make money and run an athletic dept isn't just to wallow in mediocrity for as long as some conference will cut you a small check - it's to make your fans, boosters, donors, alums actually take an interest in your program and want to give you their money.

Personally, I don't think any of it will make a difference - The fanciest IPF in the world isn't going to make a difference if your wet blanket head coach doesn't bother to recruit players with any upper level talent anyway. We'll really be able to impress those kids who's only other offers are Western Carolina, the College of the Ozarks, and the Plant City Florida Strawberry festival 4H!

The most interesting thing is what happens when that exit fee money runs out and we're still sending our volleyball team to Las Cruces and Lynchburg.

Spot on! MO ST, Jax ST and Oakland HS. This situation stinks

Tenn Tech's plans are smart and realisitic which is why it's happening. If they pull it off, it will be the nicest facility in the OVC by far.

Our plans are not realistic. We have a hotel in our plans. A friggin hotel. LOL. This is what we're dealing with. Give me Tech's AD. An IPF could have happened years ago. There is no excuse.
Tech’s President is a former HS basketball player, college tennis player and brilliant chemistry professor from Henderson, TN. Chester County Eagles!!

Football Record MO ST
470-522 since 1986 wow they are a power house. They do have 1 conference title.

They would be a good basketball add and should beat MT

A hotel? I totally missed that part.

I went back and checked. Marshall has a huge athletics complex. Essentially what we want. The IPF portion was $16m. It essentially is prefab metal and brick accents with an indoor track. No reason they can finish that in a year.

I have no clue what that hotel stuff is other than maybe the designer was thinking athletic dorm. That said, Memphis just finished their IPF last year for $11M. It's not rocket science. I don't understand why we have to have every red cent before we can start something. If we have some money, build it in smaller phases, and show something.

I have no clue what that hotel stuff is other than maybe the designer was thinking athletic dorm. That said, Memphis just finished their IPF last year for $11M. It's not rocket science. I don't understand why we have to have every red cent before we can start something. If we have some money, build it in smaller phases, and show something.
I totally agree. You can do a really nice one for even less if you are efficiant. They are way overthinking this. What's even crazier is that we could have had something already back when it was even cheaper to build.

Not saying the hotel WILL happen, but given the growth in Murfreesboro, the hotel could happen with a public/private partnership. MT provides the land w/ hotel building the facility (and providing MT students jobs).
It's not a bad idea at all, but looking at rendering it looked like a design for a 1970s Ramada Inn.

I would hope if that thing comes to fruition, the revenue stays with the Athletic Dept.

ADVERTISEMENT