ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Well, this sucks..

TrueBlue147

All Conference
Mar 19, 2008
Tye Fagen and KJ Buffen are requesting a release. This was best class that Kermit had ever signed and it appeared we were finally "cashing in" (recruit wise) after our recent success and now it's falling apart. I hope the new coach find some good replacements or we are gonna be hurting with who we have coming back.

Buffen was the best of the class and possibly the best high school player who's ever signed with MT in history.

Oh well no biggie. We can find some other players, right?

Based on what little I've seen McDevitt didn't have many offers out at UNCA. Not looking for any help from those meager lists.

McDevitt had 4 players transfer to P5 schools during his tenure at UNCA as head coach, but still won Big South regular seasons in 17 and 18. This won’t phase him. Given how praised his recruiting is, I think he’ll find some good consolation prizes before fall.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
#1 - This isn't the Big South.

#2 - We play and expect to win against quality OOC opponents. Feel free to check our track record over the last 5 years. We are something like 7-1 against the SEC during that time. And what I'm about to say I hope it doesn't come across as rude, but in order to continue building our program and winning at a level we are accustomed to, it's going to require a talent-level that McDevitt did not consistently sign at UNCA. Of the 4 transfers to P5 programs, weren't 2 of them signed by the previous head coach before he took over?

I hope he can pull some rabbits out of a hat. Maintaining this recruiting class was crucial not only because it was the best class ever, but because we lost SO much this year. We basically lost our "Big 3" in Potts, Walters, and King.

Fagan, Buffen, and Curry were literally the replacements for those 3. A guard, a forward, and a center. Just what we lost, and all mega talented as well. It was literally a perfect signing class not only from a talent standpoint, but from a needs standpoint as well. That's why our fan-base was literally going ape-$hit about the importance of keeping these kids.

There's no way on earth McDevitt even comes close to replacing Fagan & Buffen (Unless they re-sign).

I'm calling it now. Next 2-3 years are going to suck @$$.

Players sign with the coach not the school. We will be ok.

What? They sign a scholarship (a legal contract) to play for Middle Tennessee State.....not Kermit Davis.

Well there needs to be stipulations on the release. Can't go to any future opponents, which includes Ole Miss. If they end up at Ole Miss, Massaro should be immediately fired and look for a career in another profession.

Well there needs to be stipulations on the release. Can't go to any future opponents, which includes Ole Miss. If they end up at Ole Miss, Massaro should be immediately fired and look for a career in another profession.
I agree. No conference schools or future opponents.

Reactions: MTOleBlue

I have never understood why a school should punish a student for doing what they feel is in there best interest.

I signed a fellowship for my doctorate work based 100% on my mentor. If he left mid degree, what you’re saying is I shouldn’t be able to follow him if he went to a school that competes for research funding or for grants/contracts from private industry.

These kids never played a second for MT. And they are kids. If they don’t want to be part of MT....bye.

I would hope MT is better than screwing over a kid for doing the best thing for them after something that is completely out of there control changes the situation.

I have never understood why a school should punish a student for doing what they feel is in there best interest.

I signed a fellowship for my doctorate work based 100% on my mentor. If he left mid degree, what you’re saying is I shouldn’t be able to follow him if he went to a school that competes for research funding or for grants/contracts from private industry.

These kids never played a second for MT. And they are kids. If they don’t want to be part of MT....bye.

I would hope MT is better than screwing over a kid for doing the best thing for them after something that is completely out of there control changes the situation.

21b.jpg

Your analogy simply does not hold: There weren't fans of the doctoral program you were entering anxiously awaiting your arrival on campus and looking forward to following your progress while on campus. The only people who cared about your academic pursuits were a few family members and friends.

That said, your point that they are young men who have the right to change their minds when circumstances change is valid. You don't want to force a player to go JUCO by not granting a release but IMHO it is justifiable to restrict the release to schools not on future schedules. MT fans should not have to watch these players (highly-touted when they were signed) competing against the Blue Raiders.

I really don’t know what to think other than these guys are still children. If we apply the same logic as our the news and government, young people don’t have the wherewithal to make “big people decisions” anyway at the age or near 18 (stupid by the way).

Let them go. Bye Felicia. Don’t let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

Reactions: bluefutcpa
We have seen coaches sign late qualifiers who have had big impacts. I don't think Giddy was a late qualifier but he signed late, IIRC.

IMO, Fagen and Buffen will likely be replaced by late qualifying Freshmen, if possible. If there aren't any Freshmen who Nick wants then I expect to see a few transfers signed.

Last edited:

#2 - We play and expect to win against quality OOC opponents. Feel free to check our track record over the last 5 years. We are something like 7-1 against the SEC during that time. And what I'm about to say I hope it doesn't come across as rude, but in order to continue building our program and winning at a level we are accustomed to, it's going to require a talent-level that McDevitt did not consistently sign at UNCA. Of the 4 transfers to P5 programs, weren't 2 of them signed by the previous head coach before he took over?

I hope he can pull some rabbits out of a hat. Maintaining this recruiting class was crucial not only because it was the best class ever, but because we lost SO much this year. We basically lost our "Big 3" in Potts, Walters, and King.

Fagan, Buffen, and Curry were literally the replacements for those 3. A guard, a forward, and a center. Just what we lost, and all mega talented as well. It was literally a perfect signing class not only from a talent standpoint, but from a needs standpoint as well. That's why our fan-base was literally going ape-$hit about the importance of keeping these kids.

There's no way on earth McDevitt even comes close to replacing Fagan & Buffen (Unless they re-sign).

You didn’t come off as rude at all. Yes Rowsey and Hornsby did commit before McDevitt was the HC, but he was the associate HC prior to being promoted, and was always a big part of the recruiting component while on the staff. I know C-USA isn’t the Big South. But UNCA’s recruiting budget was awful from what I’ve been told (I’m an Asheville native), yet the coaching staff consistently brought in P5 talent. So my point is I believe, once his ducks are in a row, that McDevitt will be able to bring in recruits on the same tier as Buffen or Fagan.

You didn’t come off as rude at all. Yes Rowsey and Hornsby did commit before McDevitt was the HC, but he was the associate HC prior to being promoted, and was always a big part of the recruiting component while on the staff. I know C-USA isn’t the Big South. But UNCA’s recruiting budget was awful from what I’ve been told (I’m an Asheville native), yet the coaching staff consistently brought in P5 talent. So my point is I believe, once his ducks are in a row, that McDevitt will be able to bring in recruits on the same tier as Buffen or Fagan.

To be truthful, this past year is the first year Kermit signed some highly ranked players, so we have one without the highest rated recruits.

Don't forget we will have Antonio Greene next year. His 3 pt shooting is supposed to be one of the best in nation. So it's not like we will have to play Chase Miller as a starting guard (though that would be cool).

We are middle Tennessee. You tell these recruits move on and we aren’t leaving a spot for you.

We have something to sale. This isn’t a randy Weil train wreck. We have a great new coach and recruiter.

We will be fine.

It would be great if Carlos Curry stays. We will be ok at the guard positions. What we need is an upgrade at the post position.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Your analogy simply does not hold: There weren't fans of the doctoral program you were entering anxiously awaiting your arrival on campus and looking forward to following your progress while on campus. The only people who cared about your academic pursuits were a few family members and friends

We will have to agree to disagree about how important R01 funding can be to schools that take 40-60% overhead on grants. I have seen faculty pull a Uhaul up in the middle of the weekend night and clean out their lab so their current department can’t stop them. It can get crazy cut throat with that kind of money involved at some R1 schools.

Schools dont make decisions on releases from scholarships based on the feelings of people not in the school (or adminstrators have lost sight of the school’s mission), so whether it’s releasing from a football, basketball or any other scholarship, it really should be treated the same That’s the point I was making.

Often in college basketball, you have very little idea who you will be playing two seasons out. While some idea of opponents for next year are known, a complete schedule or a complete list of opponents is still not known for next year.

It seems pretty common that programs release players with agreement to play outside of the same conference. Future schedules might be a little more difficult.

I know I was really looking forward to the highly rated recruits finally coming in to play at MT. On the other hand, MT had tons of success with players that weren't highly rated. When Kermit left, it looks like keeping the recruiting class became a long shot. With a quick hire of a good recruiter of a new coach, keeping even a couple of the recruits was hoped for. Now, maybe one. It's disappointing to be sure, but it comes with the turf of a coaching change. Our new HC will likely have to find some quick fixes especially at forward. I am hopeful though that the future will be bright with the new HC given some time to recruit a full class or two.

On releasing players who want to go elsewhere, let people pursue what makes them happy. Plus the alternative is to run the risk of having your locker room chemistry wrecked by an unhappy disgruntled player who wants to play elsewhere. Best to let them go especially in circumstances such as MT's with a coaching change.

It would be great if Carlos Curry stays. We will be ok at the guard positions. What we need is an upgrade at the post position.

I think Gamble can be close to Walters, maybe the new staff will take him and others to a new level...its not like Walters could be counted on each night. I think Walters underachieved. In the biggest games he was mostly a non-factor this past year.

When you stated your first point that C-USA isn't the BigSouth then there was no point in comparing what CNM did in the BigSouth- right?

But obviously you're not going to get a high number of these types of players in the Big South- but somehow UNCA has had a disproportionate share compared to other BigSouth programs over the years so you should think good thoughts in that regard. CNM and Sean Dixon have direct recruiting signatures on 3 of those 4 kids and 5 of 6 if you want to count current studs MaCio Teague and John Baehre. With Nick's departure I'm guessing both those guys will transfer now and both will have P5 interest..

Let me set the record straight on the 4 transfers as I know their details..
1. Hornsby had NC State in his ear when Eddie Biedenbach left for UNC Wilmington and while CNM was an Associate HC. Hornsby (Oak Hill) was recruited by Brett Carey also an Oak Hill alum and he was heavily recruited by CAA/A10 programs. NC State wanted Hornsby but they offered Trevor Lacey (Alabama) first.. once it became public in CNMs first week as the HC at Avl this was written in the local paper here 'Bruce Hornsby said he wanted to keep the option open of his son returning to Asheville, but McDevitt said that isn’t possible. “That wouldn’t be in the best interest of Keith and it wouldn’t be in the best interest of UNC Asheville,” said McDevitt.' So it was the right and tough choice to not allow Hornsby to shop around and keep the UNCA program as a back-up..
2. Rowsey- guy was the 2nd leading scorer in Virginia HS history when he graduated. 5'10" guard overlooked by everyone.. in 2 seasons at Avl scored 1244 points. Overbearing father would chide him after games CNM & staff would console him- P5 programs started talking to dad and then he transferred to Marquette. Would have easily been a 2500 point scorer but he did that in HS so he moved for a bigger challenge. Scored 1087 points in 2 years at Marquette.. 2331 pts in his college career.
3. Dylan Smith- 6'5" guard- late signee who by the way filled Rowsey's vacated scholly.. Made league all-fresh team, instrumental in win at Georgetown and in league play.. after the NCAA tourney appearance was basically full of excuses for transferring.. originally said he was leaving to be closer to home (Alabama kid) due to an ill family member.. Clemson, VA Tech, and Arizona were notably in the mix and he ended up in the desert..
4. Dwayne Sutton- Kentucky Mr. Basketball finalist out of HS, Big South tourney MVP.. 2nd leading scorer & top rebounder his freshman year.. mom works for U of Louisville.. had desire to play for the hometown team and his Dad and others convinced him to come home- Mom was irate and tried to get him to stay at Avl.. ended up walking-on at UoL but since mom is employed it's still a free ride..

UNCA is a tough sale for kids with limitations abound.. It's a cool town but it's tough to attract athletes for a school that only values athletics when it's convenient... MTSU doesn't have those problems and has a financial commitment to athletics that makes UNCA look like the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse in comparison..

You keep Curry yet lose the guards.. it is far easier to find guards late than it is quality big men... CNM found Dylan Smith late to replace Rowsey so it can be done..

ADVERTISEMENT