ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Well... Didn't expect that.

I expected a loss, but not that bad.

You really begin to wonder what those dumb SOB coaches do all Fall Camp? Really. They are never prepared. They are out coached, out played, out executed. Same with recruiting. You have the feeling they can't recognize talent or the lack thereof. I've said it before this program needs an enema, a house cleaning. There is no energy surrounding the program. I actually feel sorry for the BRAA people they brought in trying to sell this tired old sh*t to fans and locals who have lived and experienced the same old crap the last decade or more.

This game reminds me of an Army game in which the team was in field goal range but, instead of trying to score, a disgusted-looking stuckstill chose to run out the clock.

Was the Army game bankrolled by Vegas?

Was Vegas involved in the JMU game?

I put nothing past 7 wood.

Reactions: Predarat
I expected a loss, but not that bad.

You really begin to wonder what those dumb SOB coaches do all Fall Camp? Really. They are never prepared. They are out coached, out played, out executed. Same with recruiting. You have the feeling they can't recognize talent or the lack thereof. I've said it before this program needs an enema, a house cleaning. There is no energy surrounding the program. I actually feel sorry for the BRAA people .
I'm used to Stockstill's offenses (regardless of OC) laying an egg in week 1. Stuckstill. Standstill. Whatever you want to call it, Stockstill isn't great week 1. And that sets up the folks in tickets, marketing, & BRAA for a difficult job for the rest of the season.

Reactions: Noogaraider1
Speaking of fall camp, no wonder the kids always tell of how they love Stock. I would have loved to been an 18 year old on scholarship where my coach is my buddy & never pushes me during camp. Sure the team gets whipped every opening game because of not being in shape or motivated, but by game 2,3, or 4 we're getting there. As coach says it's a marathon, not a sprint. So take your time, it's a long year

If he somehow improves after yesterday, I’ll be shocked. I don’t see any talent on the field.
I'm used to Stockstill's offenses (regardless of OC) laying an egg in week 1. Stuckstill. Standstill. Whatever you want to call it, Stockstill isn't great week 1. And that sets up the folks in tickets, marketing, & BRAA for a difficult job for the rest of the season.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I'm not rooting against our team, but based on first game results, this is the absolute worst ever Rick Stockstill coached team and a one win or two win season at tops looks more than likely. I won't rule out a winless season and that might be a catalyst for much needed changes we all want.

I don't see there being any getting better. We've done nothing but go down hill the past several years.

We haven't finished a regular season with a winning record (6-6 is not a winning record in my book) since 2018. Also the last year we had a winning conference record.

Counting yesterday, the past 3 years we are 14-21 overall. 10-13 in conference. 4-11 against all teams that finished the full season with a winning record.

The three years before that (with Brent..hmm...) 23-17 overall, 16-8 in conference.

We haven't been improving at all. A coach who has been here 17 years shouldn't have his last 3yrs be a combined losing record.

I always am happy for the players like last year. But Stock shouldn't be celebrated for 7-6 with bowl win in year 16. Beamer at South Carolina in his 1st year? Absolutely. 7-6 for a 16th year coach should be a down year, which still in my armchair AD opinion shouldn't happen at all with that kind of tenure.

I'm still pissed. I've been on the yeah its time but positive attitude train. But now, it's a good thing CM isn't my next door neighbor.

I don’t see any talent on the field.

This was very alarming to me as well. This team seems to be devoid of any talent outside the DL. We have some men up front on the DL, but beyond that I see nothing but flat footed, slow to react players that were overmatched and outplayed in every facet of the game. We have a few WR's (Did we even throw a pass to Jaylin Lane?) that can play but that's about it.

I'll never understand how an administration can sit by and allow a coach in his 17th season to be a doormat to any team with a pulse. JMU just made us look like the FCS start up when in reality they were supposed to be. They made us look like a NAIA team, actually.

This team will be lucky to win a game this year. The OL is as bad as it's ever been. They are so unathletic, flat footed, and weak. Stock was all happy about the size of the OL but they just are not good. There's a reason nobody else wanted a guy like Sterling Porcher. Sure, he has amazing size, but he's basically a statue that anyone can run around. They better figure out something fast with the OL. I think they need to give some of the JUCO guys a shot, specifically Joseph Stone.

Well...Newbie here...I'll stop lurking now, just wanted to get the lay of the land, before I started chiming in. It's my last year on campus before I become an alum, and this sure is a frustrating start to it.

I've been to/watched a lot of games, across most sports, I'd say more than the average student for sure and i've never felt as heated as I did last night, and I think most of y'all need to seek punitive damages for the years and years of suffering this administration and coach.

I will be proud to have graduated from Middle as my accomplishment, but ten years from now I want to bring my child just down the road, to a great game day experience, every Saturday we're home, as a proud alumnus. I hope this isn't rock bottom and somehow we find our saving grace and somehow this community rallies behind it, but this course we have been on is not it.

I know y'all have been saying it (and living it far longer than me), and I've been hesitant as a student to accept it.. but after last night, I have changed my profile picture to reflect how I feel. (same pic...but with clowns). Count me in.

I'm ready for basketball season.

We have talent. Our coaches are horrible. Chase can throw a football and we have WR's that can catch it. This new scheme is abysmal and Mitch Stewart's game plan was comical. The O-Line was bad because of the coaching. Polly and Mallory should not be caoching here. Neither should Stock. We could have had Randy Moss and TO (when they played in college) and we would have still got leveled. The scheme was beyond bad. What we started doing last year in mid season worked. That's what I would have continued with. The players obviously didn't know what to do out there and that is ALL COACHING. 100%. You don't get 12 yards rushing because you suck as a player. You get12 yards rushing when the coaches suck at communicating plays and blocking schemes. Even with the worast offensive linemen out there, you can coach them to cut block. This gives your QB some more time than he had. Good coaches make changes to put their players in position to win. Everything was just off and that was all scheme and execution based on lack of communication.

I'm giving the defense a bit of a pass for now. They held JMU scoreless in the 1st quarter. They were on the field for about 13 minutes it seemed. there is not a defense in the world that can hold on after being out there for as long as they were.. In the first half, it was over 80%. We definitely have issues on the secondary and stopping the run. The D line is good but we need more help.

JMU is an excellently led team. Their coaching and play selection was what I wished we had. Hat's off to them. I honestly didn't know what I was thinking when I thought we could play with them. They are going to play well in the SBC this year.

Reactions: Raiderclyde
Well...Newbie here...I'll stop lurking now, just wanted to get the lay of the land, before I started chiming in. It's my last year on campus before I become an alum, and this sure is a frustrating start to it.

I kind of feel bad for the newer fans and alums. They've known nothing but the Stockstill Malaise.

There was a time when 20k+ in Floyd wasn't a pipe dream, when we played on ESPN, our recruits weren't anonymous guys with little to no decent offers from anyone north of the FCS.

There's no reason we can't get back there. Well there's one reason. But, he can't curse us forever....right?

[/QUOTE]
I will be proud to have graduated from Middle as my accomplishment, but ten years from now I want to bring my child just down the road, to a great game day experience, every Saturday we're home, as a proud alumnus. I hope this isn't rock bottom and somehow we find our saving grace and somehow this community rallies behind it, but this course we have been on is not it.

First off, welcome and congrats on the soon to be alum status.

You said exactly what I'm feeling. My two best friends, one my brother in law and the other a friend for over 30 years, have never been to campus. We made plans a few years ago when we all were at a MT/Charlotte game we would spend a weekend in Nashville and go to a game. A guys getaway.

Made plans for this year, was WKU but then FAU. Super excited to show them campus, see the stadium now then again in a few years after the upgrades. But son of a gun, what is it gonna say when I bring them to a almost 30k stadium with barely 3k in it? I mean together we are used to WVU games of 60k, a packed Charlotte game, the 40k VT/MT game. Even a packed house at Marshall. I'm embarrassed to bring them to our product. Not the school, but what the school puts out.

There's a video on FB of Beamer taking the students to the upper deck of the stadium explaining there are fans that pay $ to park, walk a long way, and sit way up high, just to watch the guys play. I really don't think Stock gives a hoot about the fans.

I kind of feel bad for the newer fans and alums. They've known nothing but the Stockstill Malaise.

There was a time when 20k+ in Floyd wasn't a pipe dream, when we played on ESPN, our recruits weren't anonymous guys with little to no decent offers from anyone north of the FCS.

There's no reason we can't get back there. Well there's one reason. But, he can't curse us forever....right?
I remember those days fondly. Had a Thursday night class and MTSU was playing a home game on ESPN. He wouldn't cancel class, so couldn't make it until after the 1st quarter.

Stockstill don't give a rat's ass about the fans! I'll give you an example. First home game to start the Stockstill era we were tailgating and set up on RV row. We had a large sign made that said, "Welcome to the Stockyard". One of the people saw Stockstill and brought him over to see the sign. Stockstill looked at it gave a smirk turned and walked away. Didn't show any appreciation whatsoever. I washed my hands on MT football after the way he acted. All he is doing is getting fat off MT because The AD and Sneedly McPee don't give a Rat's ASS Either.

I had a similar experience at fan day years and years ago.

I walked away from stock thinking “what an asshole”
I did too in 09. I've defended him for years even after my negative experience. Now, I'm ready to show up at the coach's show just to boo this dude the whole show. Massaro can't be this unaware. He's got to be pissed. Is he that stupid?

Would like to see Coach Donnelly back as a volunteer coach. He may be 79, but the 1st thing he would do is volunteer 1 of his "Boots" up someone's rear over there. Can only imagine his anger has to be 10 times greater than anyone on this post for what's happened to HIS program

After he was fired, Boots declared that he would not return to campus until 7 Wood was gone.

Garbage football could be 7-woods' retaliation against Boots.

Boots declared that he would not return to campus until 7 Wood was gone
Well he did return when that statue was dedicated/unveiled (I believe the first vandy home game) but unaware if he has since. Not looking it up, but I believe this fall is the 30th anniversary of the last unshared conference championship.

he has been on the job for 15 long years, no excuse to be this inept on offense. what we are seeing is failed recruiting classes signing guys that only had naia and d2 offers. Starting a walkon QB, while a kid that left for whatever reason starts at a P5 Oregon St. So what you want about Mac, atleast he brought in talent and most of that talent is what lead to Stocks 10 win season. Along with Mangus and Diaz down in Florida bringing in ballers. Hell they don't respond to emails, dm's from coaches because I'm a coach. I tried to send them a 6'4 245 TE/H back with 4.5 speed no response but guess what, the university of Maryland took him. Just piss poor recruiting and coaching

I tried to send them a 6'4 245 TE/H back with 4.5 speed no response but guess what, the university of Maryland took him. Just piss poor recruiting and coaching

You did that kid a favor sending him to Maryland. I wouldn't send a family or friend to MT for football until there is change from top to bottom.

It all boils down to this, horrible leadership. Stock and MT football are the glaring example due to college football's public and cultural significance here in the South. More simply, college football is competitive and it draws a lot of eyes and attention.

In my opinion, the Univ prez should say to Massaro that either Stock will be fired today or you tomorrow.

The phone line from the head of the BOR should be burning up between him and McPhee. In my opinion this is such a dumpster fire, this would require the head of the BOR a drop everything and go see McPhee in person in his office. The reality is that none of this appears to be happening.

There appears to be no accountability for anybody in the line of authority to maintain at least a respectable level of success. To top it all off, some big donors are writing checks to further enable this embarrassment.

What's that quote? Money rained down on fools.

At this point, I wish I didn't care about MT because I would be long gone. In the meantime, I keep an eye open for signs of change or replacements in leadership. This open eye usually involves at least watching most of the opening football game. This opening weekend looks even worse than usual. In my view, that game at JMU was one of the worst losses and performances I've seen since my arrival back in the early to mid 90s.

Does anybody over there with any say have any shame?

Reactions: MT Glenn
ADVERTISEMENT