ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Welcome, Coach McDevitt

some comments from other schools' fans:

a Charlotte fan:

He has consistently gotten under recruited players that were scoring machines. Unfortunately for him, many of them have been so good they got poached away by bigger programs. I don't think that will be as big of an issue at MT.

I don't know if this is the best hire MT could have made but it's good. Many Charlotte fans were high on him during our search.

an Appalachian State fan:

Good pickup. I live in AVL and have watched a fair share of UNCA games. The guy is good.

Ok.

I’m gonna keep positive. This isn’t terrible but not expected. When is the university going to make a big announcement?

They need to sell us on this and he needs a twitter account. Ha.

I wish nothing but success for coach McDevitt.

Someone call McDonald’s. They could have a huge sponsor opportunity.

Guess I'm now a Blue Raider fan... so very biased perspective here as an UNCA alum, former player, and friend of your new head coach.. you're not going to find any social media stuff- unless he changes that soon. No real history between our programs except the 2 point game 3 years ago up in the Great Alaska Shootout.

I also have perspective having played for Randy Wiel for 2 years at Avl before he went your way but let's not dwell on the negatives!

Like any big change, some of you like the hire, some of you don't- that's not really surprising for any fan base.. getting the type of players to UNC Asheville that have come through and the 4 that left in recent years and have been key contributors at LSU (Hornsby), Marquette (Rowsey), Arizona (Smith), and Louisville (Sutton). Should be especially impressive given the lack of recruiting funds and high academic standards at Avl.. as several have noted that shouldn't be anything you all be overly concerned about.. relationships with recruits take time so we'll have to see how the current signees react..\

Curious to learn more about your program.. losing the top 3 contributors is always a challenge for a team.

Guess I'm now a Blue Raider fan... so very biased perspective here as an UNCA alum, former player, and friend of your new head coach.. you're not going to find any social media stuff- unless he changes that soon. No real history between our programs except the 2 point game 3 years ago up in the Great Alaska Shootout.

I also have perspective having played for Randy Wiel for 2 years at Avl before he went your way but let's not dwell on the negatives!

Like any big change, some of you like the hire, some of you don't- that's not really surprising for any fan base.. getting the type of players to UNC Asheville that have come through and the 4 that left in recent years and have been key contributors at LSU (Hornsby), Marquette (Rowsey), Arizona (Smith), and Louisville (Sutton). Should be especially impressive given the lack of recruiting funds and high academic standards at Avl.. as several have noted that shouldn't be anything you all be overly concerned about.. relationships with recruits take time so we'll have to see how the current signees react..\

Curious to learn more about your program.. losing the top 3 contributors is always a challenge for a team.

Thanks for stopping by. CNM was not on most of our radar a week ago, and once his name came up, not sure many of us had him as a first choice. But when Kermit was first mentioned as a replacement for Wiel, I don't think he was a first choice either. Losing our first All American, a three time all conference guard, and the conference's best big man as well as a fourth senior who was considered our best defensive player, mean a rebuilding year, and even Kermit admitted that on his way out. We have probably the best signing class of HS seniors we've ever had, that should be a top priority for the new coach to connect with and reassure they are important to the program.

It is important to note that MT has had 56 or so straight seniors graduate. That is something that is important to the administration here.

Whether for good or not, MT coaches tend to stay longer than most. Kermit was here for 16 years. Our wbb coach has been here 13 years and our football coach a dozen years, and no coach comes close to the 53 year tenure of our track and field coach.

The culture in the department has been under AD Massaro that all the coaches work well together.

Hope CNM will fit in and like a glove here.

Reactions: C-Bow
One real positive IMHO: I like coaches who move "UP" to MT from JUCO, NAIA, D 2, or lower level D-1 programs as opposed to those who have been primarily associated with "Power" programs. In both Weil and Davis their history seemed to make them consider "our level" in their calculations. I found both to make comments which were insensitive to loyal fans who want our program referred to as being at the highest level (we are - have been D-1 in BkB for 75+/- years) and who are offended at the term: %$&-major. Additionally, it seems to this fan that coaches who come from so-called high-level programs are too deferential to such schools on the recruiting trail. Understanding that coaches must be realistic I want coaches who, in public at least, never admit that they don't try hard to recruit every elite prospect in the immediate area.

The negative with McDevitt is losing those transfers to higher-profile programs, something MT has never had to endure. Imagine had the turnover in Davis' early years been players transferring to higher level programs after proving their worth in The Boro. Perhaps we were lucky that Davis didn't recruit high-schoolers who exploded early in their careers. At least the transfers from UNCA were not to in-state programs which, in my estimation, would be much worse.

I have to give credit where credit is due. I think our university did an outstanding job with the search if the Steve Forbes offer is true. Steve Forbes was absolutely the #1, and we made our offer (probably could have offered more), but he wouldn't come. I hope he loses 20 games next year at ETSU now and all his best players transfer. He can rot for all I care.

I think Nick Mcdevitt is a great #2 guy and we are not "settling" at all. I watched his UNCA teams play multiple times this year, and trust me they are talented. They did have some inconsistency problems (Look great one game and terrible the next) but that's CBB for you. It's been well chronicled he had multiple talented players transfer out to P5 programs. That tells you he can recruit. And despite those transfers, his teams still did generally well. They gave USC all they wanted and more in the NIT on USC's home floor. They honestly had that game won if it weren't for some terrible ref calls and very lucky shots hit by USC at the end.

So just this year, his UNCA team, with far fewer resources and inferior recruiting budget, played USC better than our MT team did this year....

This is a good hire. We are going to be OK. I just really hope he's talking to Fagan, Buffen, and Curry and getting them to stay. Those 3 are such a big key to our future. I truly see them as our next "big 3" core of players that can carry us to even greater heights. Losing them would be absolutely devastating.

Welcome coach McDevitt. I'll pony up for some season tickets next year even though I don't live in the area to help support. Now get your arse to work!

Not sure how losing elite players at UNC Avl to P5 programs is a negative.. regardless the take away might also be in seeing how CNM was able to replace those key player migrations with late recruiting and player development and still won their league in consecutive years.. I think you guys are in good hands!

Nobody said it was

My response was in regard to...

... The negative with McDevitt is losing those transfers to higher-profile programs, something MT has never had to endure. Imagine had the turnover in Davis' early years been players transferring to higher level programs after proving their worth in The Boro. Perhaps we were lucky that Davis didn't recruit high-schoolers who exploded early in their careers. At least the transfers from UNCA were not to in-state programs which, in my estimation, would be much worse.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Perhaps I'm just a little too sensitive to the issue but I don't want players using my program to prove their worth then transfer to a higher-profile school where I have to watch them do well. It hasn't happened yet in BkB at MT but we have seen at least a couple of FB players do so, one of whom is now the HC at UT-K. (It d--n sure has worked out for him but it still POes me that he accepted a scholarship, honed his craft for two years while in The Boro and didn't fall in love with the school as much as I did while I was there)

Nothing you can do about that. Scholarships are 1 year contracts. Coaches are technically not obligated to renew them each year (though they always do, it would be program suicide otherwise), and players don't have to stay each year, either.

I do believe it begs the question WHY these kids transferred. 4 players in a span of 4-5 years is 1 player, per year, transferring for brighter lights. Was it simply these kids wanting to play in P5 conferences, or did they not see eye to eye to McDevitt?

We will never know.

Our situation in Murfreesboro is vastly different to that in Asheville. The player defections don't really concern me. If it starts happening here, then I'll certainly wonder what the hell is going on because at that point it wouldn't be a coincidence, but until then I'm not concerned.

I remember Bruce Stewart having a few really good players transfer out after one year. The last was Jeff Clifton. He started at the 3 as a true freshman, transferred to ark state and started there as well.

Most of the players that have left MT left because of no playing time or Kermit drove them mad. It took Kermit many years to stop the roster craziness.

I think this is a good hire for us and I have a feeling this guy is gonna be hungry. While next year may be a rebuilding year, we have been rebuilding every year for the last 5 or so years. We have talent on the team, we have talent coming in and there is no reason why we don't win 20 games next year. We may not win the conference but we will be a good team with a good nucleus.

Reactions: Hop45
Like I said. Defections are stereotyped the coach and player didn’t see eye to eye. There could be a number of reasons. 1st off if you are in North Carolina playing basketball you are playing 3rd fiddle to UNC and Duke. 2nd if academics have a different standard maybe those guys didn’t want to work as hard in the classroom. 3rd maybe the product around basketball (facilities, $, etc) wasn’t all that exciting.
At middle you dont play 2nd fiddle to Vol basketball because they only think of Knoxville and Neyland, and everything else is a hobby. Memphis hasn’t been tough since pastner and even then we were better. Over the past 7-8 years we have the best basketball program in the state.
Academics have been a non-issue for players considering how many consecutive have graduated.
Lastly, we have invested significant $ for upgrades to basketball. Murals, locker room, team room, video room, gym lighting, lower bowl chair backs, etc. this has resulted in higher caliber players and the highest attended games in the conference. It is plain and simple a better product.
You’re welcome!

from goblueraiders:

WHAT THEY'RE SAYING ABOUT MIDDLE TENNESSEE HEAD COACH NICK MCDEVITT

"I first got to know Nick through Eddie Biedenbach. Nick was an assistant for him at UNC Asheville, and Eddie told me, 'If you ever get a chance to hire this guy, you should. He's going to be a star in this business.' I've always been impressed with Nick as a very well-rounded coach and also a family guy who cares about his players' development off the court. He's done a great job throughout his time at UNC Asheville. He's a great hire for the Raiders and brings a lot of great qualities to the Middle Tennessee family." – Tennessee head men's basketball coach Rick Barnes

"I am excited for Nick McDevitt and this hire for Middle Tennessee. Nick is an excellent young coach who has done an exceptional job at UNC Asheville. He is a really hard worker and very diligent as well. He will bring an exciting brand of basketball that Middle Tennessee fans will enjoy." – Clemson head men's basketball coach Brad Brownell

"Nick McDevitt is a great hire for Middle Tennessee. He did yeoman's work at UNC Asheville and should keep the Blue Raiders at the top of C-USA." – CBS Sports college basketball analyst Jon Rothstein

"To me Nick is the perfect hire for Middle Tennessee. One of the things that made Kermit Davis so good was the ability to evaluate up and see the absolute best that a player is capable of and Nick has that ability as well. He is a terrific coach, tactician and teacher and will play an exciting style of basketball that fans will really enjoy watching. He's a terrific recruiter because he has great contacts and he will be able to sign kids that will help Middle Tennessee continue building on its recent success." – ESPN college basketball analyst Seth Greenberg

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
I have to give credit where credit is due. I think our university did an outstanding job with the search if the Steve Forbes offer is true. Steve Forbes was absolutely the #1, and we made our offer (probably could have offered more), but he wouldn't come. I hope he loses 20 games next year at ETSU now and all his best players transfer. He can rot for all I care.

I think Nick Mcdevitt is a great #2 guy and we are not "settling" at all. I watched his UNCA teams play multiple times this year, and trust me they are talented. They did have some inconsistency problems (Look great one game and terrible the next) but that's CBB for you. It's been well chronicled he had multiple talented players transfer out to P5 programs. That tells you he can recruit. And despite those transfers, his teams still did generally well. They gave USC all they wanted and more in the NIT on USC's home floor. They honestly had that game won if it weren't for some terrible ref calls and very lucky shots hit by USC at the end.

So just this year, his UNCA team, with far fewer resources and inferior recruiting budget, played USC better than our MT team did this year....

This is a good hire. We are going to be OK. I just really hope he's talking to Fagan, Buffen, and Curry and getting them to stay. Those 3 are such a big key to our future. I truly see them as our next "big 3" core of players that can carry us to even greater heights. Losing them would be absolutely devastating.

Welcome coach McDevitt. I'll pony up for some season tickets next year even though I don't live in the area to help support. Now get your arse to work!

To be fair they played a totally differnt USC team than we did. Metsu did not play as he was preparing for the NBA and Benny Boatright was injured. Those were two of their better players and USC wasn't exactly excited about being relegated to the NIT

Initial impression: Pretty impressed. Looking forward to delving into and learning about our new coach.

Just as anticipated, MT ended up hiring a coach that was not expected by too many folks.

Pleased with what I'm seeing. Eager to see what he can do. Hopefully his first priority is to recruit the already signed recruits. Seems like with his history of good recruiting, he just might have a shot at some success.

Looking back over his team's stats the last few years really did not yield much of anything new. The highlights has already been appropriately covered.

In my opinion, his recruiting track record stands out as really impressive. His finding and bringing in multiple high major talent is really impressive. It's hard to fault a coach at a "small school" who loses excellent young talent to the $EC, Big East, etc. That really won't be an issue at MT. What is also really impressive about all of that is that he could go on to still have success even with his top recruits being poached.

I would have liked to see the rebounding stats looking a little stronger the last couple of seasons. His team's offensive numbers looked pretty good overall. His team seemed to take care of the ball while forcing turnovers vs opponents.

I think he will be a better recruiter than Kermit. I think our defensive toughness and rebounding will take a step back but our offense will improve. Overall I think it is a good hire.

Reactions: Hop45
I think he will be a better recruiter than Kermit. I think our defensive toughness and rebounding will take a step back but our offense will improve. Overall I think it is a good hire.

That would appear to be an accurate assessment from what I can read. While not known as a great recruiter, Kermit grew to be a smart recruiter at MT. Instead of just going for highly ranked players, Kermit had to find players that were willing to adapt and work hard in his system.

It also seemed understated with Kermit, but the players he did bring in typically had good strength and athleticism. That will continue to be critical for MT to continue to progress vs P5 and Top 25 opponents.

I am excited to see what the new coach will do with recruiting. I really hope he does an incredible recruiting job in getting the current signees to continue to follow their initials plans of coming to MT this summer.

Lastly, Massaro publicly acknowledged he was looking for a number of things in a coach including a recruiter with experience or ability to recruit internationally as well as having good recruiting contacts in the southeast. Looks like the new coach checks those boxes. Should be interesting.

Anybody else bugged by the Tuesday at 10 AM welcoming of our new coach? Kinda puts a damper on attendance since a majority of folks interested in going have to work!

He’s certainly charismatic - can see why Massaro and McPhee liked him immediately. I’ve got a good feeling about him.

Understand re-recruiting our signees is of utmost importance right now but does anyone know if coach McDevitt has made the rounds on the local radio stations yet? I would love to hear the interviews. Also it is very important to promote the brand

Kind of came out of nowhere but so far I feel confident in the hire. Seems to be a really good coach, recruiter and well-respected. Seems to also be a "player's coach", which is important in this day & age. Next year is going to be a struggle, we all knew that with what we are losing, but it was also a good time for a change and now we can see what he can do for a year and then get some of his recruits in here. Overall, I think this was a great hire and we can feel confident that the program will only go higher in the years to come.

Tye Fagan tweeted (and then deleted, it appears) something along the lines of “can someone tell the Middle Tennessee AD to call me...” (paraphrasing)

That...does not sound good. I’m not sure what the rules are regarding non-coaches making contact with recruits, but if we could have been talking with these guys and haven’t been doing so, that’s a tough pill to swallow.

Tye Fagan tweeted (and then deleted, it appears) something along the lines of “can someone tell the Middle Tennessee AD to call me...” (paraphrasing)

That...does not sound good. I’m not sure what the rules are regarding non-coaches making contact with recruits, but if we could have been talking with these guys and haven’t been doing so, that’s a tough pill to swallow.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT