ADVERTISEMENT

We Could Have Had This...

coachchia

Blue Raider
Mar 16, 2009
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
This is an article about American Samoa... Rachel Jennings, mentioned in the article, is an MTSU Graduate and my Neice... She had a meeting with CRS several years ago and was told thanks but no thanks...

Her father, Philo Jennings, also an MTSU Graduate, is Samoan and the Assistant Director of Schools for all of American Samoa.

My point... just like we recruit mid state players, we chose not to begin a ready made Samoan Pipeline...

https://samoanews.com/sports/trip-islands-gave-mssu-head-coach-sims-glimpse-samoan-way

And.....we currently pay nearly $600,000 a year in combined salaries to 4 assistant coaches who will be eligible to draw SSI benefits in the next 1-7 years. So, which one of them wants to recruit American Samoa?????

And.....we currently pay nearly $600,000 a year in combined salaries to 4 assistant coaches who will be eligible to draw SSI benefits in the next 1-7 years. So, which one of them wants to recruit American Samoa?????

Well Tony Franklin seems to wrangle left coast recruiting trips quite frequently, the ROI couldn't be any worse in looking at the Samoans on occasion.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Mant of these kids never visit a university till they arrive to play. The point I was attempting to make is that with one or two visits a year and the family influence, a pipeline could have and could still be achieved...

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I can see this is something that is near and dear to your heart. I'm sure there's a reason for the current situation. There's around 130 FBS D1 schools....many of them in much closer proximity to the Hawaii islands than MT.

If you have some players that you think are legit D1 players in terms of size and their film, by all means provide their film to the staff and I'm sure they would give it an honest assessment.

I'll be honest, I read the article and I'm not exactly sure what you're wanting our staff to do?

Reactions: crclarke55
The neice I spoke of talked with the staff about recruiting the Samoan kids to MTSU... At the time, she was teaching HS English on the Island and was the point person for all recruiters wanting to sign their kids... She wanted to establish a pipeline here... With her family connections on the Island and here in town, it could have been a win/win for all because of the minimal cost (many of those kids never take recruiting trips)...

My point is... I am as disgusted as everyone else with the state of the program and I see this as a missed opportunity (the same as we don't recruit the Mid-State well), with minimal cost, to improve the program ...

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
If there's good players there send the film. Coaches don't recruit high schools/areas that don't have good players with the hopes that may be one day a good player will roll through.

To establish a pipeline there has to be good players. How many of the kids your neice is the point person for signed D1 scholarships last year? If there's D1 talent and they're ignoring it, it could be for logistical purposes as it would be very expensive to recruit there.

I don't think it's a terrible idea, but one does have to wonder how many legit D1 prospects in the American Somoa islands have their hearts set on Middle Tennessee State ?

I see both sides here.

ADVERTISEMENT