ADVERTISEMENT

We’re not the only idiots

ewglenn

Oct 6, 2021
Louisville’s new coach:

“Brohm will earn between $5 million and $5.5 million in salary each year over the six-year term of the deal, which is effective Friday and runs through Dec. 31, 2028. He earns $5 million in his first year with an annual base salary increase of $100,000.

The contract extends automatically by one year if Brohm wins seven or more games in a season during the initial six-year term. It will extend by two years if he wins 10 or more games in a season during the initial term. Those win numbers include bowl victories. The maximum automatic extension is for two years, through Dec. 31, 2030.”

I see your point but there is a difference, at least to me.

I have no issue with an initial term contract extending for 7 wins and having an extension cap. If he does that a few years in a row, they will probably re-write it a bit. THAT is when you up the ante. Make it 8. Then next one 9. Then just a championship.

I had no problem with Stock's contract after 09 being 7 wins while only being here 3yrs. The issue I have is it still being such a low bar, that actually was lowered to 6 if I understand things right.

Stock's shouldn't still be that low after 17yrs and Brohm's is fine now, but should increase as well.

After 17yrs the ONLY thing it should extend for is a Conference Championship.

The auto-extension wasn't a bad concept at the time, it was just poorly executed. MT couldn't match the salary that ECU or Memphis could provide, but they could provide stability for Stock & his family. After all, I don't think anyone at MT imagined that he would stay at MT for 17 years when the initial extension was signed back in 2009 / 2010 (IIRC).

After a 10 win season, I think everyone thought another 10 win season with Dasher / Stock was on the horizon and Stock would eventually leave for a P5 job. Then Dasher got suspended, the momentum screeched to a hault with a 6-6 season and an embarrassing bowl loss. Then it was followed up with a 2 win season and all momentum seemed to be sucked out of the sails during that 2 year span.

The execution / exact language in the contract was lacking. First, setting the bar at 6 wins for an auto-extension was entirely too low. Second, the contract should have included language that stopped automatically extending the contract after so many years. Third, it should have provided (at some point) a lower buyout for MT in case things did go south.

I'm completely shocked that Louisville signed Brohm to that deal with auto-extensions at 6 wins. Brohm is from Louisville and really hasn't hidden his interest in eventually returning to Louisville. But hey, what do I know? (BTW, I'm a huge fan of Brohm. GREAT guy. REALLY good man).

At Purdue Brohm's most recent salary was approximately $4.8 million annually. In Big 10 country it's not like Purdue football is on the same level as Ohio St, Michigan, Michigan St etc. Their administration understood that. They were paying Brohm that because the 6 years prior to his arrival Purdue's conference record was only 10-39. Brohm gave them a winning record in & out of conference in one of the nation's toughest conferences. Very similar situation to Franklin at Vanderbilt.
Could Stockstill have a winning record in Big 10 country? No way. He barely has a winning record with one of the nation's softest fbs schedules.
In essence Brohm is getting a mild bump in salary to win at a school where it has a more conducive set up to winning championships than Purdue. Some may disagree, but based on how Purdue liked his results & work ethic sounds like a smart move on his & Louisville's part. For my part I still think MT administration wins the idiot factor contest hands down.

It’s the 7 wins including bowl wins that is dumb to me
Honest question. What do you think is dumb? I agree that is a low bar but I think it is acceptable for a new coach's first contract with the school. You think his first contract should be higher?

The auto-extension wasn't a bad concept at the time, it was just poorly executed. MT couldn't match the salary that ECU or Memphis could provide, but they could provide stability for Stock & his family. After all, I don't think anyone at MT imagined that he would stay at MT for 17 years when the initial extension was signed back in 2009 / 2010 (IIRC).

After a 10 win season, I think everyone thought another 10 win season with Dasher / Stock was on the horizon and Stock would eventually leave for a P5 job. Then Dasher got suspended, the momentum screeched to a hault with a 6-6 season and an embarrassing bowl loss. Then it was followed up with a 2 win season and all momentum seemed to be sucked out of the sails during that 2 year span.

The execution / exact language in the contract was lacking. First, setting the bar at 6 wins for an auto-extension was entirely too low. Second, the contract should have included language that stopped automatically extending the contract after so many years. Third, it should have provided (at some point) a lower buyout for MT in case things did go south.

I'm completely shocked that Louisville signed Brohm to that deal with auto-extensions at 6 wins. Brohm is from Louisville and really hasn't hidden his interest in eventually returning to Louisville. But hey, what do I know? (BTW, I'm a huge fan of Brohm. GREAT guy. REALLY good man).
An auto exteand is TERRIBLE anytime.

Honest question. What do you think is dumb? I agree that is a low bar but I think it is acceptable for a new coach's first contract with the school. You think his first contract should be higher?
Well I’ll start by saying this is my opinion. I think Jeff is a good coach but they are vastly overpaying. Louisville is a prime candidate to excel with the new NIL deals coming. They are heavily backed by adidas. The bar is extremely low for a coach that is being paid almost 6 million per year. I don’t mind the two year auto extension for 10 plus wins though. That is a solid season for every program.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT