ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Way too early predictions for 2021...

Matt Dossett

All American
Staff
May 14, 2016
Monmouth
@ VT
@UTSA
@ Charlotte
Marshall
@Liberty
@UConn
USM
@WKU
FIU
ODU
@FAU

TBH, I'm actually optimistic this year. 8-4 is my prediction

Reactions: Raiders_55
Only 1 power 5 on the schedule and a beatable Power 5 at that.

Cupcake schedule will be one of the weakest schedules in the country.

We better be 8-4 but here's what I think without seeing any pre-season magazines or knowing much at all about our opponents.

Monmouth - W
@ VT - L
@UTSA - W
@ Charlotte - L
Marshall - W
@Liberty - L
@UConn - W
USM - W
@WKU - L
FIU - W
ODU - W
@FAU - L

7-5ish

Reactions: Predarat
6-6. We will win opener and come home from Blacksburg with a win. Hopes will get raised. Win the next 3. Be 5-0. Then lose Liberty, pull a Stock and lose Uconn. (Total Stock move). Hopes dashed. Lose rest until beating FAU barely to finish 6-6.

Maybe beat ODU or FIU for 7-5.

I am anxious to see how the offense is different and how much Stock restricts it. But I just honestly don't trust Stock and his game management during close games, which a lot of these will be.

Reactions: Predarat
We do this exercise every year.

Then at the end of the season we ask the same questions.

Recruiting good players outweighs any changes in coaching staff. Coaches don’t play the game. This HC and his staff have not recruited well for years and now we recently learn they have been at odds internally for a couple of years.

Head of the snake solution or nothing changes.

We do this exercise every year.

Then at the end of the season we ask the same questions.

Recruiting good players outweighs any changes in coaching staff. Coaches don’t play the game. This HC and his staff have not recruited well for years and now we recently learn they have been at odds internally for a couple of years.

Head of the snake solution or nothing changes.
I think this team has a lot of upside. Hockman is a solid QB..Pettaway and Rasul at tailback will provide a boost. Brought in some solid recruits for 2021...Metcalf and Sherman will contribute at WR and Sudderth is a stud on defense that should contribute.

Reactions: Raiders_55
Yeah I think you guys are overestimating just how impactful Stockstill is. I’m expecting 6-6 at best

Reactions: C-Bow
TSU parts ways with Rod Reed (a TSU alum) after 11 years and 3 straight losing seasons with a .500 overall record.

Then they name Eddie George as the new HC with zero experience but he’ll prolly work for a lot less than $900,000 a year.😂

TSU parts ways with Rod Reed (a TSU alum) after 11 years and 3 straight losing seasons with a .500 overall record.

Then they name Eddie George as the new HC with zero experience but he’ll prolly work for a lot less than $900,000 a year.😂
and looks like they are about get 580 million from the state in missed land grant payments.....smh

• Wow
Reactions: SpaceRaider
I spoke with an individual last night with close ties to the program and an intimate knowledge of the inter workings... His comments were somewhat enlightening...
He told me Stock & Franklin were very divisive with one another and it spilled over greatly to negatively effected everything about the program...
His second comment concerned Brent Stockstill... Brent turned down an Offensive Coordinator position @ South Florida, I believe was the school, to return to Middle to coach with Dad...

Last edited:
Reactions: MIDTENN05
I think this team has a lot of upside. Hockman is a solid QB..Pettaway and Rasul at tailback will provide a boost. Brought in some solid recruits for 2021...Metcalf and Sherman will contribute at WR and Sudderth is a stud on defense that should contribute.
And the OL additions of Jamari and Netori...

His second comment concerned Brent Stockstill... Brent turned down an Offensive Coordinator position @ South Florida, I believe was the school, to return to Middle to coach with Dad...

No need to even lay money on why, if that is true. ....he's positioning himself to replace Rick....

Or now that I think about it, with his wife's comments, he knows this is his one shot to coach with his dad before Rick retires.

I think the schedule works out for us this year. I think if the players buy into Dearmon we go 9-3. If not probably more like 7-5 or 6-6. With schedule and changes on offense I lean more toward 9-3 type season.

With Hockman at QB, Ali, Pierce, Wright, Metcalf and Sherman at WR, and a totally energized OC with Brent as the WR coach, I think the O will be 100% better than they've been with wTF at the helm.

Coachchia was right. Stock and wTF were at each other's throat the last 2 years. That's what crazy wTF does. He's good for a couple years and then he melts down. When you have that, you can't a have a good team.

I like this Dearmon dude and I think the players do a lot as well. We will see production from that alone.

MT was ranked 111 out of 127 in rushing defense and 102 in scoring defense last year. If Shafer and West cannot stop opponents from running up and down the field then I don’t care how much the offense has improved. They can’t score watching from the sidelines.

And FWIW, to prove my point, Kansas was ranked 127th out of 127 last year in scoring defense, 118th in rushing defense and 108th in total defense.

Last edited:
MT was ranked 111 out of 127 in rushing defense and 102 in scoring defense last year. If Shafer and West cannot stop opponents from running up and down the field then I don’t care how much the offense has improved. They can’t score watching from the sidelines.

And FWIW, to prove my point, Kansas was ranked 127th out of 127 last year in scoring defense, 118th in rushing defense and 108th in total defense.
This is exactly why I have us at 4-8. We won't be able to outscore many of our opponents.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
MT could've very well been winless last year. FIU didn't have any proven D1 qb on their roster, Rice lost because of four bounces of the ball off the uprights and cross bar followed by letting an MT defender free to block a FG attempt. Troy players on a much better squad had their heads up their butts and the coaches didn't have their players prepared as they should've been. The only positive thing off last season is the Palladium isn't residing in east bum f***, Alabama as it probably should've been.

We may be improved some, but I think anything above 3 or 4 wins is too big a leap forward coming off one of the worst seasons I've witnessed since the Ben Hurt era.

Last edited:
We may be improved some, but I think anything above 3 or 4 wins is too big a leap forward coming off one of the worst seasons I've witnessed since the Ben Hurt era.
Rick has the ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory...

That said, the team will likely improve simply from addition by subtraction (franklin leaving). They could win 4 games or 10, but I think 6 is a safe bet.

If Stock is intent on micromanaging any phase of the game next season, it would behoove him to stay the heck out of Dearmon’s and Brent’s way, and park himself right next to Tommy West on the sideline and have his headset wired with only a direct line to Shafer’s upstairs.

Dearmon seems to have the personality to get in the face of Mallory’s bunch if they are getting his QB killed.

Just my two cents.

How soon we forget that they are still undersized on the defensive side of the ball, only 1 LB is over 220 and he is just Freshman that's not on campus and the dline is still undersized. Tell me again how are you stopping the run?

How soon we forget that they are still undersized on the defensive side of the ball, only 1 LB is over 220 and he is just Freshman that's not on campus and the dline is still undersized. Tell me again how are you stopping the run?
Yet we have a .500 HC starting his 16th season who still hasn’t figured it out with his recruiting, staff and roster management in order to win an outright conference title.

If the offense aint 3 and out on most possessions and turning over the rock every 45 seconds, the defensive stats will go way up.

If Stock is intent on micromanaging any phase of the game next season, it would behoove him to stay the heck out of Dearmon’s and Brent’s way, and park himself right next to Tommy West on the sideline and have his headset wired with only a direct line to Shafer’s upstairs.

Dearmon seems to have the personality to get in the face of Mallory’s bunch if they are getting his QB killed.

Just my two cents.
Dearmon should revitalize the offense IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT