ADVERTISEMENT

Watching today's games....

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
Further reinforces my beliefs that our OL and defensive front 7 are fatal flaws for this team. Both units are undersized and just flat out not very good. The OL has an excuse I guess because they're so young, but the DL is mostly upper classmen who I guess just didn't develop. I will never understand how a redshirt senior DT can weigh 250 pounds. (Malik Manciel)

There is some young talent there at the DT position with players like Jordan Ferguson and Zaylin Wood but that doesn't help us right now. And the OL is full of freshmen and sophomore's who might be good eventually but again, that doesn't help us right now.

This team has "late bloomer" for this season written all over it, especially with the schedule being front loaded. There's a good chance we don't win a game until we host Rice on November 16th.

Basketball season, anyone?

Here here to basketball season! Gotta completely agree with you. Just like the Preds I love the speed and athleticism, but our size seems to trip us up when it matters.

The OL and DL coaches need to go. The OL could at least cut block to give Ohara more time. Jimmy Ray Stephens would do that against all of our OOC P5 opponents and it worked. West, Polly and the other dude need to pack their crap and go. Been saying that for years.

Agree with JT. West has been a loser for years. Polly is crap. Our lines have not developed.

So why is Tommy West's sole responsbility on goblueraiders.com "Defensive Line" ?

West has been the Dline coach here since 2014 and the DL has never really had any significant achievements during that time to write home about. It's been underwhelming to say the least.

Royston might be helping and/or taking over the responsibilities on the DL but he's still a newcomer and needs time to get his recruits in here.

I like Royston and I hope we keep him here as long as we can as he's clearly a stud on the recruiting trail. I'm guessing he has a big fat national championship ring on his finger from his time with Saban....and to be able to go into a recruits home with a ring like that, talk about working with saban, talk about the future at MT, etc....I can see how it would be alluring for potential recruits.

West needs to go. The nepotism with Stockstill and West should be borderline criminal. It is quite clear West is only sticking around on the roster for state government retirement purposes. The dude needs to go and we need to hire some more fresh young motivated blood. West can go be a "defensive line coach" @ APSU, ETSU, Tennessee State, or wherever else if he needs his years that badly.

West is not the Dline coach, Royston is the one who makes the decisions and does all the coaching

That dude ain't getting it done either. Drop em all and re-tool. 114th total D and we are allowing 35.7 points a game. Obviously, him and west ain't getting it done. On OL, it's coaching. On DL, it's coaching, recruiting and depth. That equals a hot mess. We might improve in conference play but Duke marched on us and gave everyone else a blueprint on how to sh!twhip us. Just run up the middle and throw inside routes and screens. If we can't lock that down, it will be a long year. I hope the team looked in the mirror and changed up the strategy. We did that last year but we didn't come out of the bye to face a ranked Iowa. Sheesh.

Last edited:
So why is Tommy West's sole responsbility on goblueraiders.com "Defensive Line" ?

West has been the Dline coach here since 2014 and the DL has never really had any significant achievements during that time to write home about. It's been underwhelming to say the least.

Royston might be helping and/or taking over the responsibilities on the DL but he's still a newcomer and needs time to get his recruits in here.

I like Royston and I hope we keep him here as long as we can as he's clearly a stud on the recruiting trail. I'm guessing he has a big fat national championship ring on his finger from his time with Saban....and to be able to go into a recruits home with a ring like that, talk about working with saban, talk about the future at MT, etc....I can see how it would be alluring for potential recruits.

West needs to go. The nepotism with Stockstill and West should be borderline criminal. It is quite clear West is only sticking around on the roster for state government retirement purposes. The dude needs to go and we need to hire some more fresh young motivated blood. West can go be a "defensive line coach" @ APSU, ETSU, Tennessee State, or wherever else if he needs his years that badly.

These last 2 recruiting classes are Royston's guys. I only talked to him these last 2 years while my son was being recruited by MT. Royston is the decision make for the Dline.

Clearly Stock is repaying an old debt from his start as a young assistant.
Otherwise, he would have learned from the Palermo hire a few years back. John had pretty much retired before he showed up in Murfreesboro.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT