ADVERTISEMENT

BB RECRUITING Tyson Jackson 6'8" Forward Commits

A really hopeful sign that recruiting is going well.

Jackson had a nice offer list (don't know how many are still active - would doubt UGA is active after the coaching change) and interestingly enough was first offered by the previous staff although Davis did not follow up with an offer at Ole MIss as he did with some others he had recruited for MT.

This comes at a good time for me as I was down after seeing that a McDevitt offer had chosen Murray St. A couple more commitments like this and I will feel much better about the future of the program.

We've been following Jackson for some time now. It became very clear that he emerged as the lead target for McDevitt and staff over the last few weeks.

You won't find a ton of tape on him out there, but he is going to bring a ton of athleticism to the PF spot for MT. Think JT Sulton with more bounce.

Here's our write up:

MT lands first piece of '19 puzzle

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Excellent job and congrats to the coaches.

It would appear that CNM and staff just put up a good answer to a lot of the early questions regarding the beginning of his tenure. I know I had a few questions that this commitment provided a big answer.

As speculated, it was just going to take some time for CNM to establish himself at MT and begin to recruit the type of talent many of us would like to see headed to MT. Particularly in light of this commitment, the short-term hectic rush to fill roster spots was likely just that for CNM. Just filling out a reasonably decent roster late in the recruiting process likely took priority over the usual preferences or style of recruiting given an appropriate amount of time.

If this new commitment, Tyson Jackson is any indication, it would suggest that the coaching staff does place priority in getting some size in the frontcourt. While it may be too early to say definitively, it would appear that CNM is willing and able to land good quality talent that most of us at MT would like and has come to expect for MT basketball.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
With regards to recruiting I've been very impressed with the new coach. I still don't understand how we lost all 3 signed players and couldn't retain a single one, but I guess it's time to let that go. We are going to suck this year and maybe the next.

But 20-21 looks promising.

"suck" would be relative. If suck compared to last half-dozen years of championships and postseason play, it's possible may even be likely. It would seem a tremendous stretch to think MT will dominate C-USA this season and excel in non-conf play.

Given that two of the incoming promising players were recently ruled eligible, things aren't looking as bleak for this season as it did back in the spring. Given the hopefulness of CNM skills and talent as a good HC, I'm starting to think this new team just might be competitive in C-USA play this year. Compared to how things looked a few short months ago, I'd say a competitive team would be a pretty decent outcome this year. Sure that likely means no championship, but it's still a heck of a lot better than a terrible season. A competitive season compared to the springtime prospects of a disaster of a season I'd say does not equate to a season that sucks.

Early in non-conf play, I'm expecting to see some pretty big bumps in the road. A real tough non-conf schedule combined with a new team and coaches coming together will likely take some time with plenty of rough spots.

Reactions: subkyle
ADVERTISEMENT