ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Tyrone Nix now at UTSA

It will be interesting to see how Nix does... IMO, Stuckstill hinders his coordinators with his conservative style... plays not to lose... reminds me of Jeff Fisher

BRAA_Signing_Day_Story_Social.png

Anyone else get the email today? Attending?

It will be interesting to see how Nix does... IMO, Stuckstill hinders his coordinators with his conservative style... plays not to lose... reminds me of Jeff Fisher

Ummm.....we basically play cover 0 the entire game with Shafer....Not exactly a conservative defense, lol.

Nix's problem was predictability. His defenses became too predictable and he had a bad habit of letting the opposing offense dictate the terms of a game. He just wanted to sit in 2 deep zone and cover 3 all day with a boring, unimaginative 4-3 up front doing predictable things. This approach just doesn't work in college football anymore unless you always have superior athletes on Saturday and we all know that isn't the case here at MT.

My guess is he will do things differently at UTSA. Hopefully, he has learned and adapted his approach to be less predictable and more aggressive. In today's world of G5 football, you've got to apply pressure to opposing offenses or you'll get eaten alive. Disguise, confuse, pressure.

Reactions: Blue_H
BRAA_Signing_Day_Story_Social.png

.Anyone else get the email today? Attending?

I attended one six or seven years ago, in the Jeff Hendrix club. They had artist renderings of an IPF. Now we're in year two or three of the video. I think I will be long gone from the scene when they break ground.

No, I'm passing on this thing...

Why do you think Shafer has had better defenses at other schools?

I don't know enough about his previous stops to give you a truly educated answer.

His defenses here at MT have been about as good as can be expected given our athletic ability on that side of the ball. You can nitpick here and there on some game plans and poor second half adjustments but hindsight is 20/20. The Duke game last year really bothered me. Regardless, he's a solid coordinator that will usually bring a game plan good enough to win a football game against similar skilled competition. Players still gotta execute.

As we get deeper into his tenure here, and he's been able to bring in more players to fit his style, I am expecting our defense to get better. We return a lot of talent on that side of ball next year, assuming Blankenship comes back healthy.

His defenses here at MT have been about as good as can be expected given our athletic ability on that side of the ball.

Well Shafer's defense has been pretty solid outside of this past year. My 2 cents is if you can't sustain an offensive drive your defense will suffer. Our offensive play efficiency was so bad that defense was stuck with poor field position and played too many downs without the desired amount of depth.

ADVERTISEMENT