ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Turning our attention to Monmouth.....

Matt Dossett

All American
Staff
May 14, 2016
This game intrigues me. ESPN FPI gives MT a 90.3 percent chance of winning the game. IMO that's a tad too high. If MT wins this game, especially decisively, it could serve as a springboard, giving MT some momentum and confidence heading into Blacksburg.

It'll be interesting to see what the line is. I'm thinking -10 to -12 MT....

Last edited:
Reactions: MTActor
These are the results for the games that Monmouth played in the spring:

Charleston Southern: W. 35-17
Gardner Webb: W. 48-19
Kennesaw State: W. 42-17

Postseason:

Sam Houston State: L. 21-15.....

Reactions: TRUEBLUE73
I had a dream last night that Monmouth got up 17-0 in the first 10 minutes. Last thing I remember in the dream in they were up 38-16 with 10 minutes left and the QB had 450 yards passing. With our luck in sports, it wouldn't surprise me.

These are the results for the games that Monmouth played in the spring:

Charleston Southern: W. 35-17
Gardner Webb: W. 48-19
Kennesaw State: W. 42-17

Postseason:

Sam Houston State: L. 21-15.....
And Sam Houston won it all.

I had a dream last night that Monmouth got up 17-0 in the first 10 minutes. Last thing I remember in the dream in they were up 38-16 with 10 minutes left and the QB had 450 yards passing. With our luck in sports, it wouldn't surprise me.
their QB I believe was a 1st year starter this spring, so by playing those games, they got experience and confidence. They not coming just to lay down.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Bump. I contacted the beat writer for Monmouth.. I'll have a writeup hopefully in the near future...

Bump. I contacted the beat writer for Monmouth.. I'll have a writeup hopefully in the near future...
Ask if he wants to move to Murfreesboro, there seems to be a beat opening. Just kidding, I'm sure he gets paid more at his current position.

So I watched 3 of their games from the spring. I love their offense.

That QB is really poised for a 1st year starter. Tony Muskett. What great name for a QB. "Muskett fires a pass downfield!" He's dangerous and probably better than most QB's in CUSA.

RB #30 Juwon Farri - a talented RB that is patient and explosive. Good size and a strong downhill runner.

The WR's are sure handed and capable. They throw a lot of screens and slants with the occasional deep go and wheel route. Our secondary better be improved. Their OL is very good. I wish we had em and their coach.

Overall, IF we win this and that's big a$$ IF, it's a very good win. It's a better win than 90% of the CUSA teams we face. A FCS playoff team is better than 90% of the Belt and CUSA for that matter. That's what App St. was when they came into the belt and they haven't missed a beat really. Tough first opponent. The ESPN win % is stupid. Monmouth is way better than their % prediction.

I'll be disappointed if MT loses, but I would not be shocked at all, given this program under Stockstill history of starting out slow or stumbling out of the gates.

I agree. The reality is that we lost to teams last year that this Monmouth team is clearly better than. They are very well coached. They had NC Sam Houston St. on the ropes with 1:00 to go and came up short on 4th and goal. If they got in, they win that game. We're better than a FCS national champ team? Nope. At least we'll know what we have early. LOL.

Coming off two losing badly seasons, if the Blue Raiders start off with a loss at home to an FCS team (no matter how good) the head coach should be fired immediately. We know that would be the case anywhere else, but here? There will be no change. Maybe a lame tweet or email from the AD. McPhee? Nothing at all.

If this program doesn't exist by mid decade, McPhee and Massaro will be responsible, though not held responsible. Nobody is held responsible for results at MT.

"If this program doesn't exist by mid decade, . . ."

And not just FB but the entire athletic program.

If the students don't support the athletic program, if the alumni don't care, and if there is no interest in the city where the program is located (much less in the immediate area); then why not just drop the entire enterprise.

With all the changes which have occurred to college athletics and society in general I seriously doubt cutting out the athletic program at MT entirely would generate as much protest as came when ETSU cut FB two decades ago. (how many of you remember the ETSU site Bucs 4 Ever on the old Delphi board?)

The original purposes of having college athletics (entertainment for students, opportunity for those who participate to have physical activity, promoting school spirit, etc.) have gone by the wayside. Some wonder just why sports are in any way connected to academic institutions. Should they be?

The original purposes of having college athletics (entertainment for students, opportunity for those who participate to have physical activity, promoting school spirit, etc.) have gone by the wayside. Some wonder just why sports are in any way connected to academic institutions. Should they be?
I feel that college athletics should no longer exist. If a kid wants to be paid, then join a pro league.

There is enough free money available (grants, scholarships) that anyone can attend college. There is no need for athletic scholarships and/or worthless classes and degrees.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
I'm really not sure we will win this game. Monmouth would have beat Sam houston St. and probably won the FCS national title if they didnt have so many turn overs. They had 27 first downs to Sam Houston's 9, and 412 yards to Sam Houston's 267. I watched parts of the game and they really should have won the game. Monmouth looks like a Division 1 football team.

This is going to be one of the best, if not the best, FCS programs in the country this year. Their QB, Tony Muskett, is the absolute real deal. He can make every throw and has deceptive mobility. Some capable WR's as well especially #23 who we better be prepared to double cover. Their defensive front 7 is stout and does a great job playing in the back field. They are undersized at some positions and obviously have some holes in their team because they're an FCS squad (special teams, OL isn't the greatest), but I'm really starting to think Monmouth beats MT week 1. Our defensive line and front 7 are gonna have to have a big day for us if we are to win this game.

It's unacceptable, obviously, to lose this game. We should win the game, and we better win the game, but our history of terrible Week 1 performances + the fact that Monmouth returns 21 of 22 starters on a team that just had 4 full games in the spring to prepare. I don't know man. We had better be ready. MT on paper is their hardest game of the year, we are their only FBS opponent, they are gonna come in here and play like it's their superbowl.

We had better be ready or else our season is gonna be over before it ever even started.

Last edited:
I feel that college athletics should no longer exist. If a kid wants to be paid, then join a pro league.

There is enough free money available (grants, scholarships) that anyone can attend college. There is no need for athletic scholarships and/or worthless classes and degrees.
Every school below the P5 should drop athletics.

This is a very capable team that is going to come in here oozing confidence. We had better be ready to play or it's gonna be a long day.

I have no idea who these guys are, where they are from, or anything about them. From reading the post, they don't seem to be the same FCS pushover we're used to.

This is a no-win game. Lose, or play it close, and it a bad start. Blowout win- was something that you're supposed to do anyway.

I have no idea who these guys are, where they are from, or anything about them. From reading the post, they don't seem to be the same FCS pushover we're used to.

This is a no-win game. Lose, or play it close, and it a bad start. Blowout win- was something that you're supposed to do anyway.
they are in NJ, normally a solid to good program

That is the same reason why FBS teams won't schedule North Dakota State anymore.

That is the same reason why FBS teams won't schedule North Dakota State anymore.
I think if we schedule FCS lightweights, they need to be instate. Teams like Tn Tech, ETSU, etc.

At least they come with a few more tix sold, some regional interest, and if you struggle a little bit, you could sell the whole "well, at least it's their superbowl" factor.

Instead of some school from up north that sounds like a video game character that will only get you laughed at if you struggle or, heaven forbid, actually lose.

I think if we schedule FCS lightweights, they need to be instate. Teams like Tn Tech, ETSU, etc.

At least they come with a few more tix sold, some regional interest, and if you struggle a little bit, you could sell the whole "well, at least it's their superbowl" factor.

Instead of some school from up north that sounds like a video game character that will only get you laughed at if you struggle or, heaven forbid, actually lose.

I fully believe we should have a OoC TN team every year, be it Memphis or Vandy (I know, won't happen but point is valid) or TN Tech, TSU, Austin Peay, ETSU. Stupid not to. (Just add it to the list of amazing ideas the AD has)

Reactions: Raiders_55
I fully believe we should have a OoC TN team every year, be it Memphis or Vandy (I know, won't happen but point is valid) or TN Tech, TSU, Austin Peay, ETSU. Stupid not to. (Just add it to the list of amazing ideas the AD has)
Memphis today is not the Tommy West Memphis of ‘07, ‘09. Be careful what you ask for. Just sayin’.

Last edited:
Reactions: MidTennMtneer
ADVERTISEMENT