ADVERTISEMENT

TSU Exploring College Hockey

BlueSioux

Blue Raider Fan
Sep 2, 2014

I have commented for a couple of years now that MTSU should have really jumped in on starting a college hockey program. It would have given the university a niche and some much needed ice in Murfreesboro. Well, not only is APSU looking at starting a program..so is TSU. What the hell are people doing in COPE/Murphy Center?

Reactions: subkyle and Hop45
I totally agree that we should have been considering hockey for a long time. That’s truly a sport where we could build a substantial program

I have commented for a couple of years now that MTSU should have really jumped in on starting a college hockey program. It would have given the university a niche and some much needed ice in Murfreesboro. Well, not only is APSU looking at starting a program..so is TSU. What the hell are people doing in COPE/Murphy Center?
Building a healthy TN Consolidated Retirement System payout?

TCRS does not provide enough of a monthly payment to sustain life... One only gets 49% of their 5 highest years salary... Tennessee is one of the WORST states for pension...
As a retired public educator, I work a retirement job to survive...

TCRS does not provide enough of a monthly payment to sustain life... One only gets 49% of their 5 highest years salary... Tennessee is one of the WORST states for pension...
Coach, you probably worked 10x more for 10x less money than the ones I’m thinking about. Unless there is a cap, Tommy West was making $925,000 a year for his last 5 years at Memphis. Guaranteed. Stock has made almost that. Guaranteed. The other admins are all making 6 figures.

Reactions: coachchia
Coach, you probably worked 10x more for 10x less money than the ones I’m thinking about. Unless there is a cap, Tommy West was making $925,000 a year for his last 5 years at Memphis. Guaranteed. Stock has made almost that. Guaranteed. The other admins are all making 6 figures.
You're correct...
If my math is correct, that comes to $37,770 per month... I might be able to survive on that...

There are many variables which enter into whether a person can live on 49% of his salary. (You do realize that once you reach that point you are working for half salary and many expenses go down after retirement- no more payment into TCRS, commuting expenses, work clothing, etc.).

What are your plans after retirement? Some want a 2nd career and to continue working.
Have you reached 30 years and want to retire long before you are eligible for social security? How long before you are eligible?
If you have a spouse are they still working or are they planning to retire immediately, and what will their retirement and social security be?
Many public school educators move to a private school or to another state to get vested in another retirement plan - thereby double dipping. I have known of many coaches on the NC or Alabama border who moved to a job across the state line since they have a short number of years to be vested in their systems.
What plans have you made financially for retirement in addition to what you get from TCRS and SS (IRAs, 403b, other investments).
What has life brought you?: Inheritances, Kids still in college, special needs children, parents which need your help, etc.
A lot to consider, so many variables enter in -

I have known many public servants who retired early and were able to follow their dreams after retirement. Others, usually those who didn't plan, have to die at their job. Way too many variables - but I would recommend to all of you young enough to still plan for retirement regardless of profession: Save just a little out of every dollar you make, find, or are given; and get to know a good financial planner.

One note on TCRS: I don't know why you state TN is one of the worst states for pensions, I haven't compared. What I do know is that the TN state plan is consistently rated as one of the most sound, and if we can keep the politicians away from it a retiree doesn't have to worry about potential negative changes once one retires.

ADVERTISEMENT