ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL #TRUE Blue Summer Schedule

Massaro always talks about wanting to growing our brand. Not leaving the city limits tells me otherwise.

Last edited:
In a town of over 115,000, If we captured 30% of that, we'd never have an empty seat ever.

Reactions: C-Bow
you have to have a quality product to offer for people to get excited. Casual fans and the average resident with little or no real connection to campus are not going to get excited with what we've seen over the years.

Can you really call it a "Tour" when it doesn't leave the city limits of Murfreesboro?

Insulting to this Mid-State resident and MT supporter who doesn't live in Rutherford Co.

It's why I titled the thread topic 'schedule' instead of just repeating the gbr headline. "Tour" is a joke. The activities scheduled are good, but if you don't cross county lines or even the city limits, tour is not an accurate description.

When they first posted it to FB I got all excited thinking man. What if they come to Kingsport or Knoxville even. I can go see them.

Should’ve known better.

Wish our fan base reached as far as Knoxville or the Tri-cities. As for me I would be happy if we had a caravan, tour, or whatever which went to at least a couple of the larger mid-state cities (Lawrenceburg, Tullahoma, Columbia, Dickson, Lebanon, etc.) along with at least one major city (Nashville, Chattanooga, Huntsville) in what should be our "sphere of influence" where we can expect to draw as least a few fans.
I realize a lot of you want to expend all energy at home before reaching out and a discussion is not necessary.

I have posted this in years past. They routinely went to markets within 30-60 minutes of campus. From pictures they posted on GBR.com there appeared to be as many fans as MT coaches & administrators. Am sure they eventually decided the ROI wasn’t worth it. No idea what type of outreach they did ahead of time.

I remember in the early to mid nineties, Boots drove down to Fayetteville to give a talk to Lincoln County folk.

and there an alumni gathering in Huntsville where Dr. Walker came down for a meet and greet at Space and Rocket Museum down there.

I guess I'm spoiled with how WVU does it, which in their case, they really are the state team except for directly around Huntington. So no it isn't apples to apples. They do a coaches caravan every year. I'm 5 hours from Morgantown and they hit us each time. Football, Basketball, Baseball. All coaches are part of it. Big dinner. Tickets sold. I've gone a few times. It really is a nice set-up.

You'd think MT would, like others have said above, at least try it in Shelbyville, Tullahoma, Lebanon, places like that. Heck, they don't even do anything in Smyrna and it's in the same stinking county.

I see quite a few MT plates, stickers, etc here in Knoxville, but no visits from the team.

I know we went to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg a few weeks back. Went to the Lids in the 'burg while there. They had tons of UT hats of course. Coastal Carolina. Southern Miss. WKU. ETSU. Memphis. But yet none of the other school you bypass to go to Memphis. Ridiculous. Sad thing is the employee there, who was in his late 40s, asked what the MT on my shirt and tattoo stood for.

Honestly if we have a good season in football and basketball, then some tours like that might be good. Offer local high school seniors an incentive to come etc.

No offense, but what hat a store carries is no indication of the alumni base in an area. Bring the team to town on a Saturday when most people are home during the day, and at least try to connect. It'll cost a little gas money and lunch for a few star players. You have to work at it. Don't sit back and point to hat stores and wait for it to happen.

No offense, but what hat a store carries is no indication of the alumni base in an area. Bring the team to town on a Saturday when most people are home during the day, and at least try to connect. It'll cost a little gas money and lunch for a few star players. You have to work at it. Don't sit back and point to hat stores and wait for it to happen.

No offense taken. I probably shouldn’t have quoted your post when saying that. The point I was trying to make was that there is a major tourist area a few hours from campus that lots of people from TN go to but yet they don’t have a cap for a state school.

I see your point on not judging a fan base on what a local store would carry. I would blame management for that. I too wish the school would attempt to connect more.

Here's the issue, when MTSU does do events in Knoxville/Memphis/Jackson etc. pretty much no one comes out. So it is great that we have dedicated supporters on here, but that's why they are gun-shy about leaving the county/Middle Tennessee area.

Here's the issue, when MTSU does do events in Knoxville/Memphis/Jackson etc. pretty much no one comes out. So it is great that we have dedicated supporters on here, but that's why they are gun-shy about leaving the county/Middle Tennessee area.
I can't speak for Memphis or Knoxville, but there's more than a few MT plates and supporters in Jackson (where I live). They'd come if the university/athletic department gave them a reason to).

A few years ago (actually, like 2011 or so) they sent someone to a meetup in the Knoxville area to watch the Arkansas State game (the one where we lost like 44-10 or something like that with the SBC title on the line).

3 people showed up. 2 of them were me and my wife. I don't know how heavily it was promoted though.

I did get virtually all of the door prizes (I think a koozie and a t-shirt). Woohoo!!

I know we have to have Knoxville people around - I see MT stuff everywhere - people in T's, license plates and frames, decals etc.

I just don't know what would get them out.

When Roy Mewbourne ran things in Williamson County I played in and my employer was a sponsor at the Temple Hills golf outing for 6 straight years. I think they moved it to Davidson County.

Stock and coaches made an appearance the first couple of years but no-showed after that. He made one more appearance at Drake’s Bar and Grille in Cool Springs in 2013. That’s it.

Fire-proof. SMDH

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT