ADVERTISEMENT

To Hell with IPF...Use Money to Fire Stockstill

MT01

All American
Aug 1, 2005
I'm done. Won't return or put another penny forth until there is change.

Two weeks after CRS admitted it was embarrassing the last game, he had two weeks to prepare for a winless team and gets smoked, outcoached, and out anything else you can say.

You are right CRS. It's embarrassing. I no longer care about the money saved to date. Fire him now. Let's move on. It's time.

Nothing else needs to be said.

I'm done. Won't return or put another penny forth until there is change.

Two weeks after CRS admitted it was embarrassing the last game, he had two weeks to prepare for a winless team and gets smoked, outcoached, and out anything else you can say.

You are right CRS. It's embarrassing. I no longer care about the money saved to date. Fire him now. Let's move on. It's time.

Nothing else needs to be said.

Past time for a change.

Past time for a change.

Yeah, but I have been willing to go as long as possible and offer benefit of the doubt. I simply no longer can do that.

There has been no forward positive trajectory or momentum in the program. We have plodded along beating bad teams, losing to teams with winning records and getting just enough to help CRS meet contract incentives that were bars set too low.

I wanted to hold out hope (in spite of having a pretty good sense of how this year was going to go long before the first snap). Bottom line is I can't support this any longer. We've reached a point of capitulation. I just don't think we can afford to allow this to go any further and be driven in the ground any deeper.

Reactions: Hop45
I will take the suggestion of another post, my e-mail to massaro we be sent tomorrow... It will be tactful but pointed... I feel our program is as low as it was when Ben Hurt was coach in the 70's (the coach Boots replaced)...

Reactions: Hop45 and MarJac23
Worst performance I can recall. Really, no excitement at all around this team anymore. Stockstill needs to either be fired or resign. I really hope no one attempts to defend this man. He is not a good coach.

Arguably our worst ever loss as an FBS program.

Since beating UAB in the first game last year - which was one of the best games I've ever seen us play - we are 2-9 against D-1 teams allowing 30 pts per game and scoring 22 pts per game.

It's not just Stockstill. All of them need to go. McPhee, Massaro, and Stockstill. It's long past time for them to go.....but

MT athletics and MTSU as a whole is a government entity, therefore, there is no accountability and all 3 of them will continue to collect fat checks for a piss poor job.

Must be nice.

People need to stop giving money and going to games. Not 1 red cent. At this point, I wouldn't even suggest going to basketball games.

Keep every sporting event empty and withhold every penny until changes are made at the administrative level.

Someone has to pay for this. Someone has to be held accountable. If we can't financially fire Stockstill, than the one that got us in this mess needs to go. Masarro needs to be fired. We should have never hired someone from a P5 school. They are use to money just flowing in to the athletic department. Masarro has no idea what it takes to raise money. He has raised zip since he has been here. We need an AD that has experience in a lower division that knows what it takes to raise money when it's not handed to you in big TV contracts and an automatic huge fan base. We need someone hungry.

Make no mistake, yesterday’s loss was bad. But, the Rice game was not lost yesterday: we started losing to Rice back in Charlotte. How?: through decisions being reactionary and not proactive. Simply, poor preparation. Our one dimensional reads, losing the opening snap, and awakening in the 4th quarter to make the score closer than it really should appear. This loss has clear signatures of ineffective coaching. With an open date off, it was clear we sleepwalked until sometime in the third quarter and by then it was too late—Rice basically melted the clock away and had enough gas in the tank to finish out a game. We would have lost to James Madison or a Top 15 FCS team yesterday with that performance.

Our season was ruined with the Charlotte loss, and this merely adds an “!”. The “!” stands for No championship. No bowling. No opportunities for a winning season. No opportunities for a winning season in conference (we still can get to 4-4, but doubtful). The best outcome that can be done is to send seniors out with a win next Saturday.

But, where do we go from here? We are at a major crossroad. More of the same will result in us being a perpetual bottom feeder like UTEP and Rice (though Rice is 6 years removed from a C-USA Championship) and we don’t have even that to hang our hat—just an East Divisional. We desperately need new vision and bolder stewardship. Football looked like a very sick patient that needs special attention and care and hope the administration sees that despite potential costs. As I left the stadium, it was a very sad walk to the parking lot as I’ve had since October, 1998 (loss to EIU for the OVC Championship that we lost 32-35). I’m not mad, disappointed or saying maybe next year is our year. It is the realization that a fundamental coaching change is required for us to go any further or have semblance of respect as a athletic program.

Excellent post Raiderclyde. The Tweeted pic of the stadium just prior to 2nd half kickoff that someone posted earlier is very telling of how low this program has fallen. My hope is that it is even fixable. Two of the most diehard Blue Raiders that I know were posting publicly on Facebook last night. I’m a Blue Raider because of one of them. He signed off on my admission to the MBA program in 2003. Something has to be done and quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raiderclyde
CM should demand that CRS fire all his buddies on the staff. It’s a no lose situation at this point.

Either he agrees to do it and we get coaches in here that aren’t coasting or he refuses at which point you fire CRS for cause/insubordination.

At the very least use that to negotiate a settlement for him to resign.

We should have never hired someone from a P5 school. They are use to money just flowing in to the athletic department. Masarro has no idea what it takes to raise money. He has raised zip since he has been here. We need an AD that has experience in a lower division that knows what it takes to raise money when it's not handed to you in big TV contracts and an automatic huge fan base. We need someone hungry.
I agree - MT needs to hire people who have been successful at a school/program/athletic department with little money.

Massaro coming from South Carolina should have been a big red flag for us long ago. A program known for never being all that good, yet they continually fill a large stadium despite the long term lack of success. Add in the big $EC money to go with their fanbase support, and it was not necessary for Massaro to need to learn about raising money in difficult circumstances with little built in support.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I think the repeated sentiment around this board is correct, McPhee is a huge contributing factor in accepting an attitude of mediocrity.

Folks, it might be time for a whole bunch of us to attend one of the upcoming meetings of the rubber stamp committee, er, I mean univ leadership board meeting.

I think the repeated sentiment around this board is correct, McPhee is a huge contributing factor in accepting an attitude of mediocrity. Folks, it might be time for a whole bunch of us to attend one of the upcoming meetings of the rubber stamp committee, er, I mean univ leadership board meeting.
I think 7-wood was placed as MT's president because he would rubber stamp the Tennessee Board of Regents agenda - keep MT in it's place (no law school, name change or anything of the sort - hey, MT makes beer, yippee) and not excel outside of it's core undergrad offerings

Last edited:
Reactions: BRaiderDave
So much could be said (most already has) but MT FB is at the point of either making huge changes or accept that the D-1 FB experiment has been an abject failure. Wholesale changes must be made to save the FB program at MT, perhaps the entire athletic program.

No true fan wants to see us back in FCS or drop FB but the handwriting is on the wall. We may be past the point of no return. Either change or give up. We can't continue on this path.

I think 7-wood was placed as MT's president because he would rubber stamp the BOT agenda - keep MT in it's place (no law school, name change or anything of the sort - hey, MT makes beer, yippee) and not excel outside of it's core undergrad offerings

I think you are correct. I have long suspected that to be the case. The univ name problem has always stood out to me as exactly that situation. Years ago, I was glad to give him a chance and hopeful he could help the university. For a number of years now, I'm just not seeing it.

Matter of fact, I find it sickening that the only thing McPhee seems to be helping these days (besides his own pay raise contract ext) is the Communist Chinese in their fairly obvious scheme of making sure they are in place to continue to rape and pillage the U.S. economy particularly intellectual property where American universities have long been key contributors to innovation, research, and breakthroughs. For a few dollars to university administrators, the Chicoms have set up their spy centers, er, cultural exchange centers in American universities from sea to shining sea. But hey, now you can make beer while at MT, nevermind you can buy a cheap beer making kit in a local dept store for 20 bucks!

Has anyone hit up Massaro on twitter to see if they can get a quick response? How can any of them continue to tolerate this mediocrity and now it seems to be slipping down even further.

They all 3 need to go, but the most realistic for us to impact would be Stock. I don’t even know how an AD would get moved out without a big donor making threats to pull money. McPhee - I doubt there is anything we could ever do about him.

Has anyone hit up Massaro on twitter to see if they can get a quick response? How can any of them continue to tolerate this mediocrity and now it seems to be slipping down even further.

They all 3 need to go, but the most realistic for us to impact would be Stock. I don’t even know how an AD would get moved out without a big donor making threats to pull money. McPhee - I doubt there is anything we could ever do about him.

It is sad. I think Massaro and Stockstill are probably good guys personally. However, this program needs new people, a new infusion of energy and new direction.

When Steve Spurrier left UF in 2001, he said in the press conference that 12 years is long enough for 1 person in the same position and its time for a new coach to see what they can do there.

I cannot for the life of me understand how Massaro and Stockstill do not recognize they are beyond that same situation at MT. If they really had any love for the university, they would retire. Become coach and AD emeritus. Do what’s best for the university and athletic program.

For someone who loves the university and MT athletics, it really sucks to watch.

The leadership is so afraid of failing that they don't care about winning. Massaro, McPhee, Stock - they just don't care.

As much as it pains me to say it - look at WKU the last decade. It looks like they've rebuilt 3 times in the past decade, to heights we've never even come close. Conference titles, ranked teams. At this level, it's ok to lose, as long as it's accompanied by winning. What's not ok is a slow death by mediocrity.

And the damn shame of it all that burns me up the most - is when people look at this program and blame the lack of support or the lack of resources or the fan base, etc. Schools like WKU, Arkansas State, Appy state - there's nothing inherently different in those programs and ours. We're the same level, have the same recruiting territory, same budgets, etc.

Except leadership that gives a flip.

The leadership is so afraid of failing that they don't care about winning. Massaro, McPhee, Stock - they just don't care.

As much as it pains me to say it - look at WKU the last decade. It looks like they've rebuilt 3 times in the past decade, to heights we've never even come close. Conference titles, ranked teams. At this level, it's ok to lose, as long as it's accompanied by winning. What's not ok is a slow death by mediocrity.

And the damn shame of it all that burns me up the most - is when people look at this program and blame the lack of support or the lack of resources or the fan base, etc. Schools like WKU, Arkansas State, Appy state - there's nothing inherently different in those programs and ours. We're the same level, have the same recruiting territory, same budgets, etc.

Except leadership that gives a flip.

And when we compare what is done in Bowling Green to Cope/Murphy Ctr. let's remember that the WKU radio network has expanded (even into Middle Tn.) while the "powers that be" at MT have allowed the MT radio coverage area to shrink dramatically. Makes one wonder just who the hell is in charge.

Reactions: Predarat
Closing comments on GoBlueRaiders.com
The Blue Raiders will again be at home next week against Old Dominion on senior night before going to WKU to finish the regular season.

"You have to finish what you start," Stockstill said. "As a man, as a competitor, as a player, you have to compete and play as hard as you can.”

"I don't have any doubt in my mind that they'll come out and play in practice, and focus and be ready to go."

Yeah they are gonna play hard. But it doesn’t matter when the coaching of discipline and play calling as welll as adjustment making isn’t there.

COACHING AND RECRUITING. Period.

Reactions: MTOleBlue and MTTim
Since we don't have the money to buy out stockstill would there be any consideration of assigning him to a fundraiser, and make Schaffer head coach. I know some other universities have done similar moves.

We apparently have $30M that’s been raised as they try to upgrade facilities. But those upgrades are going to be meaningless if we continue down the same mediocre path we’ve been on.

I offered options above for how to move out of this situation.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
don't know why y'all think Shafer is so good? Hr had his son on staff also, all just hook ups for friends and family. Need a brand new staff, if i was Massaro first call would be to Curt Cignetti at JMU, second call to Tallahassee Willie Simmons has done more with nothing at PVSU and FAMU, third call to Clarksville and Hudspeth

don't know why y'all think Shafer is so good? Hr had his son on staff also, all just hook ups for friends and family. Need a brand new staff, if i was Massaro first call would be to Curt Cignetti at JMU, second call to Tallahassee Willie Simmons has done more with nothing at PVSU and FAMU, third call to Clarksville and Hudspeth
We don't need Massaro to make the decision. Hire the same firm Memphis used for Norvell.

I don’t trust that to happen. Too many egos. Wasn’t there a fuss over the MBB coach? Massaro wanted McDevit but McPhee wanted someone else?

We don't need Massaro to make the decision. Hire the same firm Memphis used for Norvell.
Any decision to do with a basketball or football head coach goes through McPhee.

Yeah, Massaro is the one in the public eye but McPhee makes the call.

I think the repeated sentiment around this board is correct, McPhee is a huge contributing factor in accepting an attitude of mediocrity.

Folks, it might be time for a whole bunch of us to attend one of the upcoming meetings of the rubber stamp committee, er, I mean univ leadership board meeting.

This is the only way change will happen. I am in if you guys are.

Reactions: dukewayne
Our one dimensional reads, losing the opening snap, and awakening in the 4th quarter to make the score closer than it really should appear.

At a MINIMUM Tony Franklin has to go, he is fundamentally horrible when it comes to the players he's able to recruit (Quarterbacks) and the ability to design a system for the players MTSU has at its disposal. I'm a big time football stats guys and my observations is that a large part of the MTSUs problem is offenses inability to maintain drives (-34 less 1st downs (and we have +11 1st down penalties), +14 more punts) which results in two things, defense spends more time on the field (33:37 avg time spent) and great starting field position for our opponents. At the moment our 3rd down conversion rate is 35%, which is 3-5% under average which indicates that we are getting ourselves in 3rd and long. Asher is has ~48% of all our rushing attempts and 2nd lowest ypc (5.4) against our top 5 runners.

The 2nd guy is Mike Polly needs to be removed from his special teams duties. Rice AVERAGED 24.9 yards on returns on Saturday, I told someone I think Rice starts their possessions on the -45 yard line for every possession (outside of the opening fumble or the unsportsmanlike on KO). To date we've only returned 4 punts and average 2.8 yards per while our opponents are averaging 7.8 but what is worse than that MTSU averages 20.1 yard on kick offs.

The facts are pretty simple if offense pulls their weight defense does fine, but when every game starts out with a large number of 3 and outs we're putting our defense in a bad position and we can't afford for sub-mediocre special teams play to exacerbate the problem.

At a MINIMUM Tony Franklin has to go, he is fundamentally horrible when it comes to the players he's able to recruit (Quarterbacks) and the ability to design a system for the players MTSU has at its disposal. I'm a big time football stats guys and my observations is that a large part of the MTSUs problem is offenses inability to maintain drives (-34 less 1st downs (and we have +11 1st down penalties), +14 more punts) which results in two things, defense spends more time on the field (33:37 avg time spent) and great starting field position for our opponents. At the moment our 3rd down conversion rate is 35%, which is 3-5% under average which indicates that we are getting ourselves in 3rd and long. Asher is has ~48% of all our rushing attempts and 2nd lowest ypc (5.4) against our top 5 runners.

The 2nd guy is Mike Polly needs to be removed from his special teams duties. Rice AVERAGED 24.9 yards on returns on Saturday, I told someone I think Rice starts their possessions on the -45 yard line for every possession (outside of the opening fumble or the unsportsmanlike on KO). To date we've only returned 4 punts and average 2.8 yards per while our opponents are averaging 7.8 but what is worse than that MTSU averages 20.1 yard on kick offs.

The facts are pretty simple if offense pulls their weight defense does fine, but when every game starts out with a large number of 3 and outs we're putting our defense in a bad position and we can't afford for sub-mediocre special teams play to exacerbate the problem.

So, take out the 14 points MT scored against FIU in the 1st quarter, MT has scored a total 36 points in the other 9 first quarters played this season...

Mcphee needs to be taken out of the decision. He's just as guilty as Massaro for this mess.

The good thing is he is right at 65 years old and should be gone soon.

If he plans on continuing to milk MT $, maybe we can find a #metoo activist on campus to talk about why Lynn calls him 7-wood. Someone talking about his 2003 history in the 2019 climate - he wouldn’t be our prez if that happened now.

Get rid of him & mediocre Massaro loses his support & can’t coast the 6-7 years he has left to retirement. Get rid of both of them, Stock can EATT and compete as an analyst for whoever USC East next coach is.

maybe we can create a domino mediocrity fall.

Reactions: MTTim
ADVERTISEMENT