ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL To earn a berth in C-USA Championship Game...?

Matt Dossett

All American
Staff
May 14, 2016
Trying to wrap my brain around the scenarios that have to occur for MT to win the East. MT is 4-1 while FIU is 4-0 and Marshall is 3-1. Obviously MT owns the tiebreaker with Marshall and FIU owns the tiebreaker with MT. Marshall plays at FIU the last game of the season.

What if all three MT, FIU, Marshall are sitting there clustered together and tied in C-USA play? What happens there?

I believe it goes to overall record then. And since we will likely lose at Kentucky, we would of course be SOL. It SHOULD go to OOC SOS

Two teams: Head-to-head

Three or more teams:

1. Highest regular season winning percentage based on overall Conference USA play.
  2. If tied, head-to-head between tied teams.
  3. If still tied, highest winning percentage within division.
  4. If still tied, compare records against divisional opponents in descending order of finish.
  5. If still tied, compare records with common cross-divisional opponents.
  6. If still tied, compare records against cross-divisional opponents in descending order of finish.
  7. If still tied, team with highest (College Football Playoff) ranking.
  8. If still tied, the representative will be the team that has not participated in the championship game most recently

We need FIU to lose 2. If FAU or Charlotte beats FIU, then it's up to Marshall. If Marshall beats them and we beat UAB, then we are in. A lot of ifs. If FIU loses to Marshall which I think they will, then Marshall gets in. We gotta win out in conference play. Very tall order with UAB coming in on Thanksgiving weekend. If we would have just converted that last drive into a TD, we would be in sole possession with a game to give. Arrrrrgh.

I don’t think so John. I think if we lose to UAB and Marshall beats UTSA AND FIU (assuming FIU wins over Charlotte), we are still in title game.

I don’t know if once a tie is broken, it goes back to beginning, but we need Marshall to win out and we are in no matter what.

#1 is highest winning percentage in CUSA play. All three would be .750 at 6-2. (I don’t believe this is overall record ... only conference games). OOC should have zero to do to decide who is in the conference title game.

If that’s the case then ...

#2 is head to head. All 3 teams would be 1-1 against each other (Marshall over FIU, FIU over MT, MT over Marshall).

#3 is highest win% in the East. MT would be 5-1. Marshall 5-1. FIU 4-2 (Thanks, Lane!). FIU eliminated.

Back to #2 — MT over Marshall H2H OR

#4 — Compare records against East opponents in oppo order of finish. Marshall and MT remain tied.

#5 — Tied with wins over UTSA.

#6 — Compare records vs West opponents oppo order of finish. Marshall loss to Southern Miss (No better than #3) is worse than MT loss to UAB (#1 West team)

MT in?

Bottom line is this. If MT and FIU are in a two way tie either with one loss or two it's FIU. The worst scenario is for us to lose to UAB, for FIU to lose to Charlotte and then beat Marshall the next week.

If MT, FIU and Marshall all finish at 6-2 then we go.

Ideally we beat UAB and FIU loses one of the last two, but if we lose to UAB who FIU loses to matters, because they still have Marshall left and we need them in the three way tie scenario if we lose to UAB. Because you don't want Marshall with 3 losses.

ADVERTISEMENT