ADVERTISEMENT

Tickets in mail? ODU

Blueraider_Mike

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2005
I just received 4 tickets to the ODU game to give out...did others with season tickets get any?

I don't even plan to watch it on TV. Like I said, I'm done short of significant and serious change. At a minimum this means a purge of the assistant coaches.

I guess all season ticket holders got 4 extra in the mail...

maybe they scanned the tickets before they mailed them. Doubt many will get used...

Interesting concept and it would not surprise me. Knocking on the door of getting booted out of D-1 for lack of attendance will make folks resort to drastic measures.

I got mine the other day. Really considering mailing them back.

Received mine here in ATL yesterday. I didn’t keep CM’s letter, but i recall it really smacked of desperation. “Not the year we expected, but we sit 3-6 and need to win out to be bowl eligible. Need fans in the stands to honor these seniors. Please bring friends, neighbors, etc.”.
Seems like a week earlier I received my previously promised allotment of free tixs for the Rice game, due to purchasing NO Bowl tixs last year. Finally, I seem to recall I also received free tixs last year for the last regular season game against UAB. It was the only home game we attended. I remember standing near the gate next to Will Call, trying to give the extra tixs away. There were 2 EMT’s next to me, who had been given a large handful of freebies to give away. After 10 minutes or so, we all 3 gave up and went to the game.
It’s just so, so sad.

I got tickets to Rice game last week because I bought bowl tickets. Interested to see if I get some tickets to add to the bonfire.

I bet they will count towards "paid" attendance for the game. Maybe we will announce 15,000+! Which obviously will be VERY accurate!

When I was a student at MT, Massaro came to my athletic admin class (taught by Stephanie Diaz, Manny's wife). He did not like the idea of giving away promotional tickets.

Nice to see he is willing to try new things to fill Floyd.

Reactions: MTTrueBlue
When I was a student at MT, Massaro came to my athletic admin class (taught by Stephanie Diaz, Manny's wife). He did not like the idea of giving away promotional tickets.

Nice to see he is willing to try new things to fill Floyd.
Gotta do something when the on field product is as unappealing as it’s been this year.

Easy to see why Massaro has changed his perspective on giving away tickets.
When he was against promotional tickets (or IMHO deeply discounted tickets) he was thinking of the program and the loyal supporters who buy season tickets and are offended when their tickets are devalued.
Now, he's looking at the stands and trying to save face or possibly his job.

Easy to see why Massaro has changed his perspective on giving away tickets.
When he was against promotional tickets (or IMHO deeply discounted tickets) he was thinking of the program and the loyal supporters who buy season tickets and are offended when their tickets are devalued.
Now, he's looking at the stands and trying to save face or possibly his job.

If they are doing giving away tickets why not just go to every high school in the area and send 1000 tickets to the jr and sr.

If they are doing giving away tickets why not just go to every high school in the area and send 1000 tickets to the jr and sr.
I think they should send tickets to schools and organizations in the mid-state. Maybe focus on one county each game. Heck, bring the kids from the chosen county onto the field at halftime for recognition.

Last edited:
They had a stack of tickets to the game they were handing out at the blood drive today at the rec center. The volunteer asked me if I wanted some and I said no thanks, I'm a season ticket holder and they already sent me a bunch in the mail...

At this rate of giving tickets away, it could be a sellout! ODU better be ready for our raucous crowd. Neyland Stadium who??

This is a serious question. How many tickets would have to be given away to actually get 30,000 people in attendance? 500,000? More than that?

This is a serious question. How many tickets would have to be given away to actually get 30,000 people in attendance? 500,000? More than that?
if you give tickets to people who don't care then it doesn't matter how many you give away because they ain't coming.

To get people in the stadium this time of year it has to be something they want or care about - free beer, free burger or maybe free chili - something significant. I don't think anyone would show up for a free hot dog... maybe students.

Families will come out if a kid is involved in a half-time event.

Reactions: Hop45
if you give tickets to people who don't care then it doesn't matter how many you give away because they ain't coming.

To get people in the stadium this time of year it has to be something they want or care about - free beer, free burger or maybe free chili - something significant. I don't think anyone would show up for a free hot dog... maybe students.

Families will come out if a kid is involved in a half-time event.

What about concerts: how about Lady Antebellum? Think Hillary Scott is an alum. That would draw some folks to the stadium. Of course, it would be expensive for production and royalties paid. But, one could price that in to the ticket and recoup some. Student fees could help subsidize, I think. MT used to be into concerts:

The bad: one never knows this time of year if the weather will be terrible or great in terms of temperature or precipitation. If nothing else, move indoors to MC.

Reactions: MTLynn
This could be combined with the veterans recognition football game...

Tickets on sale for Rodney Atkins’ Songs for Service 2020 benefit at MT

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Tickets are now on sale for Songs for Service, a concert organized by country music star Rodney Atkins for Sept. 11, 2020, to benefit MTSU’s Charlie and Hazel Daniels Veterans and Military Family Center and Operation Song.

Set for MTSU’s historic Murphy Center Complex in Murfreesboro, the event was announced this week during Operation Song’s Veterans Day performance at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum.

The website, SongsForService.org, is now available to process ticket sales and share event updates.

A special $15 rate is available for MTSU students, active military, veterans, active Guard and Reserves members and active first responders.

Atkins also announced that 95.5 NASH ICON will be the radio sponsor for Songs for Service and will help promote the event

Operation Song is a nonprofit that pairs retired and active-duty veterans and their families with professional songwriters to tell their stories musically. The Daniels Center is MTSU’s one-stop resource for student veterans and their families.

The organizations will share proceeds from next year’s concert.

Atkins announced at MTSU on Sept. 11 that he intends “Songs for Service” to be a multi-artist collaboration to honor active-duty troops, members of the Guard and Reserve, veterans and first responders.

Grammy winner and country music legend Randy Travis is the first artist to announce he will join Atkins for the Murphy Center event.

Atkins said he will announce more artists for Songs for Service “as we get closer to showtime.”

Tickets start at $29.99 for Murphy Center bleacher seats, $39.99 for bowl seats, $49.50 for courtside seats and $59.50 for floor seats. VIP seats are available at $200.

Songs for Service sprang from a visit by Atkins to the MTSU campus for the university’s annual ceremony recognizing the sacrifices of troops and first responders during and after the terror attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, in New York, Pennsylvania and the Pentagon.

At the ceremony, Atkins told retired Army Lt. Gen. Keith Huber, MTSU’s senior adviser for veterans and leadership initiatives, that he wanted to support the university’s outreach to student veterans and military-dependent students.

“We are deeply appreciative of Rodney’s patriotism and devotion to those who wear the uniforms in service to our country,” Huber said. “His support of our troops, and those who have served, including and beyond this event has been exemplary.”

Atkins first worked with MTSU when he joined a star-studded 2012 PBS production recreating the old-time fiddle music embedded in the “Little House on the Prairie” books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. PBS recorded “Pa’s Fiddle: The Music of America” live at Nashville’s Loveless Barn for a pledge-drive special that combined student and faculty efforts from MTSU’s Center for Popular Music and Department of Media Arts.

The university teams captured songs like “The Girl I Left Behind Me,” “Rally Round the Flag, Boys” and “Old Dan Tucker” with artists that included Travis, Ronnie Milsap, Ashton Shepherd and The Roys, along with backstage commentary for a documentary DVD.

Since opening in 2015, the Daniels Center, named for Country Music Hall of Famer Charlie Daniels and his wife, Hazel, has worked to assist active-duty military, veterans and family members transition from military to college, then from college to a career. It is the largest and most comprehensive center of its kind in Tennessee higher education.

Atkins, for whom Daniels has served as a mentor, first visited the MTSU center in 2017.

Operation Song is among the programs the Daniels Center supports. MTSU’s College of Media and Entertainment has co-sponsored Operation Song activities, including the most recent sessions held on campus in late October.

I admit I never heard of Rodney Atkins. Is he related to Chet?
Sounds like a positive for the university. I agree they should try to tie this to the veterans ceremony.

What about concerts: how about Lady Antebellum? Think Hillary Scott is an alum. That would draw some folks to the stadium. Of course, it would be expensive for production and royalties paid. But, one could price that in to the ticket and recoup some. Student fees could help subsidize, I think. MT used to be into concerts:

The bad: one never knows this time of year if the weather will be terrible or great in terms of temperature or precipitation. If nothing else, move indoors to MC.

Hillary Scott attended but did not graduate therefore, in some circles, is not considered an alum. The only connection I know of by Hillary to any college sports was her attendance several years ago at the $EC BB tournament in Hoover where she expressed support for the team on West End.
She met her husband at MT IIRC but I don't know if he graduated or is a sports fan.
It is sad that MT (Murphy Ctr.) was once the mid-state venue of choice for concerts (I attended many) but is no longer used for that purpose. I have to think there are some artists for whom the size would be ideal.

How aout everybody who comes to the game and stays til the 4th quarter gets 1 grand in cash. You'd still have only like 500 stay. I wouldn't go. I'd need like 10k to watch this trainwreck. It's all coaching. 100% They will probably come out and smoke ODU now that it doesn't matter. SMH

It is sad that MT (Murphy Ctr.) was once the mid-state venue of choice for concerts (I attended many) but is no longer used for that purpose. I have to think there are some artists for whom the size would be ideal.
Yeah, my girlfriend (she is from Austin, TX but has lived in Franklin and Triune for the past 12 years) was shocked when I told her that Murphy Center was once the place for concerts.

Elvis was my first concert (1974/75) at Murphy

Last edited:
"Stuck In The Middle With Stock"

Well I came to Floyd with some free tix,
I got a feelin' this year ain't six n' six,
I'm so scared he'll get another year,
And then Massaro says "Here hold my beer",

Clowns in the Cope,
Jokers in the Murph, here we are
Stuck in the middle with Stock.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT