ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Thoughts after loss to Iowa

"I've said before and I'll say it again, all of MTSU's goals are still ahead of them."

I heard similar thoughts expressed on the post-game shows. Perhaps if you're talking about this years team I would agree but as far as the program goes we actually did little to move the program forward with our ineptness so far this year. If the primary goal of the program is not to be among the G5's best teams and being considered as the G5 representative in a New Years Day bowl then why are we playing "Big Boy" football?

It's not the losses which were expected, it's the blow out losses which regardless of the opponent or their rankings do little to further what should be the goals of the program. Additionally the struggle to separate in a game against the team which is at the bottom of the OVC standings is not helpful.

If the administration along with the staff has among their goals to grow the program, increase the fan base, and cause the casual area fan to see the program as legitimate those goals have been lost four games into the season. Success in the conference, even winning the championship along with a victory in a meaningless bowl against a G5 school will do little to recover what has already been lost.

Above poster = truth.

And actually this is the problem with what ESPN and P5 have done to college football. They have ruined it for anyone not in a power conference unless you broke the mold and figured out how to infiltrate the game in spite of that. A few programs have done that. The people running college football (like a drug cartel) should be ashamed of themselves. At least drug users get a high. All we get is... well...up the rear end constantly.

I once thought that conference championship was the most important thing since we are obstructed from a path to compete for a national championship. But even if we won it last year (as did UAB) and FAU and wkcc in the years prior what exactly has been achieved. We're all still paddling up stream. There are only two things left to do. Give up and go back down to I-AA or try to become Boise. Case in point, Boise does have some conference titles of course but only two outright titles since 2011 though they dominated the old WAC in years prior. But Boise is still Boise, because they actually do consistently "compete" against everyone on their schedule. And what they've done is they have lifted the entire stature of that conference, which is why they only have two titles. On the flip side, we just lost by 45. Every once in a while these things happen, but we don't look remotely competitive against programs who let's say would be ranked 10 to 40 in the nation. Top 10 programs I'm not even going to sweat, because they are just too elite for us and always will be. But the rest of CFB we should be able to at least line up and keep competitive. Boise has only had a 30+ point defeat twice in the past 20 years and that was in 2013 to Washington (-32) and 2005 to UGA (-35). Heck we've done that seven times in just 10 years and lost by 40+ five times and about a half dozen more losses by 27 to 29 points.

And let's be clear. If you build a program that competes you will win a few conference titles. But that's not what matters in college football - at least for G5. It matters in all other college sports but football is different. To be relevant in football you have to win consistently and you have to beat teams in higher perceived conferences. That's what Boise did and continues to do. That's what we are not doing. Winning C-USA in football doesn't mean jack shit. I was wrong about that before. Conference titles are irrelevant for the G5. So, open note to Rick Stockstill build a better program to compete across all Division I-A or move on. And C Massaro hold the program to be more accountable and competitive. I don't want to see a team that "competes." I want to see one that's competitive. Everyone competes. Not everyone is competitive. CRS you can figure out which one yours is right now. Getting smacked around by everyone else except the dregs of one of the worst football conference isn't anything to hang your hat on. It isn't going to drive community interest. And certainly isn't going to help build a fan base. As if last year's last two home games weren't enough just watch attendance the rest of the season. Dare to be great or call it a day and drop down.

Last edited:
Always follow the money, that is the motivation for everything.

ESPN and All the media outlets want viewers and sponsors that run advertising - so they promote only big schools, big markets and with a lot of followers. The likes of MT and North Texas only get the scraps. They don't really care about good competition or an even playing field, that only works against their desire for more money. Don't you think teams like Troy and Appy State are solid programs with good teams? But you hear nothing about them.

It's the same with media coverage for anything, they put on what people will watch. It's all become entertainment rather than actual news or actual competitive sports. It's entertainment that's all it is.

$$$$

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT