ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL This year

altshauf

All American
Jan 15, 2005
Ocean Springs, MS
I’m playing the middle here. Since my job this year I have been much less vocal. The only way this season was going to be a winning one was if MT had promoted Win Case to HC. I feel he would have kept at least 2 of the 3 recruits and Antwan Johnson. It would have been a smooth transition.
I don’t have anything against McDevitt. He just has a different philosophy of the game. We have been spoiled to a physical pinpoint execution type of team for the last 7-8 years. It’s hard... even though McDevitt is experienced I still consider him a relatively young coach. So we have asked a young coach to follow up the best coach in MT basketball history with almost literally no roster.
The interesting part is the roster for next year. We will be top-heavy with seniors with all kinds of experience. Scurry, Jones, and Johnson could be the trio that takes pressure off of Green shooting the 3. We will have to heavily rely on inexperienced post play with the exception of scurry. I still think it will be one more year after that before we can get to the upper echelon of CUSA.
Just being honest.

I would agree roster is young and inexperienced. Problem is offense turnovers and shooting We never seem to have a good look. Last nite 25% shooting from the field 15% from three with 24 turnovers not much chance to win. We did outrebound them I believe 36 to 34. No seem to have confidence

Well, I agree to an extent. It's hard to judge with what we have. But we aren't seeing a team improving. We are seeing regression through the first half of the season. That's troubling.

This style of basketball hasn't proven to be all that succesful in C-USA. Harper tried it at wkcc. Benton tried it at North Texas. And both got run out of town. There are other examples too. There is just a big difference between the SoCon and the schedule and league we play now. We play teams that play superb defense. But we aren't even scoring on with all the turnovers on teams like Murray. It's going to be a big reality check in the league. At least we will have played a tough schedule going into league play to help prepare us, but we are looking like a five win team at best. I had hoped for seven to nine. We aren't going to get there.

I personally just don't think McDevitt was the right hire for this program at this time. McPhee forced this decision. The UMBC coach would have been a better selection for this program at this time. Even the Murray coach would probably been a better choice. McDevitt seems like a good guy. But he's never been out of Asheville. MT wasn't the place to see if he could spread his wings. It was a huge risk hire. Hopefully, he will prove me wrong.

I’m playing the middle here. Since my job this year I have been much less vocal. The only way this season was going to be a winning one was if MT had promoted Win Case to HC. I feel he would have kept at least 2 of the 3 recruits and Antwan Johnson. It would have been a smooth transition.
I don’t have anything against McDevitt. He just has a different philosophy of the game. We have been spoiled to a physical pinpoint execution type of team for the last 7-8 years. It’s hard... even though McDevitt is experienced I still consider him a relatively young coach. So we have asked a young coach to follow up the best coach in MT basketball history with almost literally no roster.
The interesting part is the roster for next year. We will be top-heavy with seniors with all kinds of experience. Scurry, Jones, and Johnson could be the trio that takes pressure off of Green shooting the 3. We will have to heavily rely on inexperienced post play with the exception of scurry. I still think it will be one more year after that before we can get to the upper echelon of CUSA.
Just being honest.

Was Win Case ever in the running? IIRC Davis recommended Grensing for the job and it was understood Case would go to Ole Miss with him. Did Case even want the job? (Case is probably making more at Ole Miss as asst. than at MT as HC - regardless, I would have been very happy with Case as HC - Grensing, not so much because he doesn't seem to have the outgoing personality needed to be a HC)

Masarro should be fired and not allowed to hire anyone. He is killing are AD department. McDevitt does appear to be in over his head. It would have been great to higher someone that could keep the momentum going even if we took a step back this season. However, this team has nose dived into one of the worst teams in the country. We are not even competitive in these losses, getting blown out embarrassingly. Its sucks because of Masarro we are going to be stuck with a coach for 5 years that at best will be learning on the job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT