ADVERTISEMENT

This is another reason why Sarah may have to consider leaving the GOP

nashvillegoldenflash

Hall of Famer
Dec 10, 2006
Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN) has just unleashed his latest endorsement for re-election. It comes from former Gov. Mike Huckabee.
Huckabee, the former governor of Arkansas and 2008 presidential candidate, has a strong following of social conservatives and activists drawn to his populist political message.
"He's been your governor, university president, America's secretary of education. He brought the automobile industry to Tennessee," Huckabee explains in the ad. "Lamar Alexander is now a remarkable senator that Tennessee needs to return to office."

Alexander has released a series of endorsements in recent days, including that of country music star Kix Brooks and former Republican House Speaker Newt Gingrich.
His primary opponent, Joe Carr, continues to gain name recognition, including a favorable mention from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin at a Tea Party event on Thursday.
"We need to be pretty discerning here of what kind of 'Carr' we send to D.C.," she said during the event. Although Palin's camp has had conversations with Carr, she has not officially endorsed him.

Carr was quick to dismiss Huckabee's endorsement of Alexander, reminding Tennesseans that Huckabee supported David Dewhurst over Ted Cruz in the contentious Texas primary. "This is the same person who said that Dewhurst was 'the only proven conservative' in that race," Carr said in a statement reacting to the news. "It just shows how desperate things are getting for Lamar Alexander when he has to promote someone who didn't even think Ted Cruz was 'a proven conservative.'"

I'm disappointed in you Mike

Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said on Saturday that if Republicans abandon conservatives, conservatives may have to consider leaving the Republican Party.
Palin was responding on Fox News to a question from a viewer, Josh Painter, who asked if she and conservative talk radio host Mark Levin would be willing to form a "Freedom Party" if the GOP continues to let down conservatives.
"I love the name of that party," Palin said on Fox News on Saturday. "If the GOP continues to back away from the planks in our platform, from the principles that built this party of Lincoln and of Reagan, then, yeah, more and more of us are going to start saying, 'You know, what's wrong with being independent?'"
Palin said that if Republicans vote for things like amnesty, "there will be a lot of us who start saying, 'GOP, if you abandon us, we have nowhere else to go except to become more independent and not enlisted in one or the other private majority parties that rule in our nation.'"
She said that both national parties are "private parties" and nobody forces Americans to be "enlisted in either party."
Palin's remarks represent the frustrations of conservatives who note Republicans lose when they nominate moderate candidates in national elections. Tea Partiers, in particular, emphasize that House Republicans have the majority because of their support in the previous two elections, and their concerns should be embraced instead of ignored.

Conservatives may have to consider leaving the GOP

Flash, I have to respectfully disagree with Gov. Palin here. I believe breaking ranks from the GOP to form a third party is a losing strategy.

Here's a good reason I believe this:

In July of 1975, Ronald Reagan sat down with Reason Magazine for an extensive interview. The following excerpt is from that month's publication.

REASON:…how do you feel about other prospects for minor parties or third party activities?

REAGAN:Well, third parties have been notoriously unsuccessful; they usually wind up dividing the very people that should be united. And then we elect the wrong kind--the side we're out to defeat wins. I have been doing my best to try to revitalize the Republican Party groups that I've spoken to, on the basis that the time has come to repudiate those in our midst who would blur the Republican image by saying we should be all things to all people in order to triumph. Lately, we find that of the 26 percent of the people who didn't vote, more than half of them now say they didn't vote because they don't see any difference between the parties. I've been urging Republicans to raise a banner and put the things we stand for on that banner and don't compromise, but don't try to enlarge the party by being all things to everyone when you can't keep all the promises. Put up a banner and then count on the fact that if you've got the proper things on that banner the people will rally round.
This post was edited on 7/10 10:42 AM by bigbadjohn45

BBJ, I most certainly agree with you and I don't want you to believe I endorse the idea. However, I share her frustrations. In the Lamar Alexander political ad, Mike Huckabee says, "for anyone that wants to pick a fight with Lamar for supposedly not being conservative enough, well you might want to pick a fight with me first".

Really Mike? Comments like this makes real conservatives like Sarah Palin and I question the integrity of the Republican Party.

Originally posted by nashvillegoldenflash:
BBJ, I most certainly agree with you and I don't want you to believe I endorse the idea. However, I share her frustrations. In the Lamar Alexander political ad, Mike Huckabee says, "for anyone that wants to pick a fight with Lamar for supposedly not being conservative enough, well you might want to pick a fight with me first".

Really Mike? Comments like this makes real conservatives like Sarah Palin and I question the integrity of the Republican Party.
Oh, no problem there, Flash. I didn't think for a minute that you were a third party supporter. Like President Reagan, I believe the Republican Party needs to get back to their roots and nail-in those conservative planks in their party platform. Believe it or not, President Reagan was a Democrat back in the day; however, as he's said, he didn't leave the party, the party left him.

Is there any kind of reliable polling data that indicates how Carr is shaping up in his primary bid against Lamar? I know these primaries can sometimes make wild swings in the closing days, but I'm curious how his campaign is truly doing statewide.

I know he has gotten quite a bit of publicity in Middle Tennessee, but my friends in East Tennessee tell me he does not have much name recognition over there, and on top of that Lamar got a lot of free press when Howard Baker passed away.

To this point, I am truly undecided in how to vote in this race. I am certainly troubled by some of the things Lamar has done and am open to voting for Carr, but I haven't been pushed all the way there yet for some reason.

Randall, I can't help you with any polling data on the Alexander vs. Carr race, however I can provide some information on Alexander's voting record.

In 2012, Alexander voted in accordance with Obama's positions 62% of the time. This was more than any other Senator from the South.

1. Continuing Resolutions: Over the last four years (12 Continuing Resolutions) Lamar Alexander either voted for them, or they passed the Senate with unanimous consent. Obama signed all of them:2009- First Continuing Resolution Passed Senate with unanimous consent (H.R. 2638)2009- Second Continuing Resolution Passed Senate with unanimous consent (H.J. Res 38)2010- Voted YES on the 2nd CR (funded Obamacare, H.R. 933)
2. Budget/Other Spending/Taxes[/I]Voted NO on defunding the "Bridge to Nowhere" (S.Amdt. 2165 to H.R. 3058)
3. Bailouts[/I]Voted YES to bailout Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac (H.R. 3221)
4. Immigration[/I]Voted YES for the Immigration/Amnesty bill of 2013 (S 744)
5. Guns[/I]Voted YES to proceed on 2013 gun control bill by bring Harry Reid's bill to the floor (S 649)
6. Green Energy/Coal[/I]Voted NO on a resolution disapproving of Obama's job killing Utility MACT regulations targeting the coal industry. (S.J. Res 37)
7. Miscellaneous[/I]Voted NO to prohibit tax payer funded stem cell research (S. 5)
8. Nominations[/I]Voted to FOR cloture on Tom Perez's nomination to be Secretary of Labor. Perez is a left wing radical Obama appointee who fought against voter ID laws and worked for a pro-illegal alien group. Alexander did vote against confirmation, but his vote for cloture paved the way for Perez to be confirmed. This is a common tactic used by Alexander. He will vote for [/I]cloture (thus ending debate and bringing the nominee or legislation to the floor for a vote) then he'll vote no. That way he can say he technically voted no, even though his previous vote allowed the bill to be voted on for passage. This is the same thing he did with the gun bill earlier in 2013.
9. Scorecards[/I]68% lifetime with Heritage (Jim Cooper- Democrat Congressman from Nashville scored 47%)
- Average is 67% for Senate Republicans
Randall, let me be clear as to why I'm disappointed in Lamar. As Joe Carr has pointed out, Lamar has refused to join Ted Cruz and Mike Lee in defunding Obamacare claiming it would cause a government shutdown. But unfortunately, Lamar is not the only Republican who has been critical of Cruz in his attempt to defund Obamacare. Thomas Sowell has also been critical of Cruz and even wrote a two-part column that caused some debate from the right. Below is how blogger Patterico responded to Sowell's criticism of Cruz.

Sowell begins his piece by, essentially, arguing that Ted Cruz sure does talk purdy, but so did Barack Obama, and where did that get us? Sowell then quickly arrives at the crux of his argument:

Senator Ted Cruz has not yet reached the point where he can make policy, rather than just make political trouble. But there are already disquieting signs that he is looking out for Ted Cruz -- even if that sets back the causes he claims to be serving.

Those causes are not being served when Senator Cruz undermines the election chances of the only political party that has any chance of undoing the disasters that Barack Obama has already inflicted on the nation
-- and forestalling new disasters that are visible on the horizon.[/QUOTE]
Sowell goes on to emphasize the stakes. ObamaCare has fundamentally restructured the relationship of the government and the individual. Hear, hear. I have said that in this space often. The new FCC plan to monitor how media makes news is another federal intrusion on freedom. Hear, hear. I noted this here days ago.
The basic, brutal reality is that the federal government can do whatever it wants to do, if nobody stops them. The Supreme Court's Obamacare decision shows that we cannot depend on them to protect our freedom. Nor will Congress, as long as the Democrats control the Senate.[/QUOTE]
Until recently, I might have agreed. After all, who is going to stop Obama, if not Republicans? But here is the problem, Mr. Sowell: Republicans have not done a damned thing to stop this. None of them voted for it, true. But that was not good enough. It was still passed. And now, what are we doing to stop it? Are we dreaming that we will retake the Senate and the Presidency and keep the House -- and then, if we do, that it will mean something?

Tell me, Mr. Sowell: when Republicans last controlled Congress and the Presidency, precisely what did they accomplish to rein in the size and oppressive ubiquitous power of the federal government? During those golden years from 2003 to 2006, what government excesses were ended? Did we reform Social Security or Medicare? I don't seem to recall that we did.
Here's what I do remember: we passed a new prescription drug benefit. We passed some tax cuts but did not rein in spending; instead, we ran deficits of half a trillion dollars per year or more.

So yes, Mr. Sowell: the Republican Party is the only party that could put a stop to what Obama is doing -- but the fact that they could does not mean that they will.

It does not matter too much who gets elected if they're not going to do anything when they get there.

So what is Cruz doing to hurt Republicans' prospects? Remarkably enough, Sowell doesn't tell us. But you don't have to guess, because (if you didn't already know) I will tell you. For one thing, he is holding Republicans accountable for their decision to continue the temporary abolishment of the debt ceiling:
Texas Sen. Ted Cruz sat with eyes glued to his mobile device as the chaos he provoked ensnared his Republican leaders on the Senate floor.

Legislation to raise the nation's borrowing authority with no strings attached was short of the 60 votes it needed to advance -- a threshold Cruz demanded -- and without a few conversions, Republicans would be blamed for its failure. The stock market was watching. [Actually, borrowing authority was unlimited before the vote and is still unlimited; the real issue was whether to re-impose the debt ceiling, which was suspended last year and was re-suspended earlier this month. I got this wrong several days ago and had to correct my post; this is probably worth a post of its own. There is no debt ceiling in effect right now; it is suspended and the country can spend anything it wants. -- P]

After what seemed like an eternity, a grim-faced Sen. Mitch McConnell, the party leader who faces a tea party challenge back home, finally voted yes. An equally grim-faced Sen. John Cornyn, the party's No. 2 leader and Cruz's Texas colleague, changed his vote from no to yes.

Cruz showed no mercy in exposing Republican leaders to widespread criticism from their primary challengers over a procedural vote on the debt limit after their pronouncements about the imperative of spending cuts. It could have been a simple 50-vote requirement, with Democrats delivering the votes to lift the debt limit, but Cruz insisted.

Pressed after the vote about what he made his leaders do, Cruz was unapologetic.

"It should have been a very easy vote," he told reporters. "In my view, every Senate Republican should have stood together." He added that the verdict on McConnell "is ultimately a decision … for the voters in Kentucky."[/QUOTE]
That is called holding Republicans accountable. You want to give Barack Obama free rein to spend anything he likes? Put your name down on that blank check so we can all see it.

The rest of Sowell's piece goes from unconvincing to just plain bizarre:
The most charitable interpretation of Ted Cruz and his supporters is that they are willing to see the Republican Party weakened in the short run, in hopes that they will be able to take it over in the long run, and set it on a different path as a more purified conservative party.

Like many political ideas, this one is not new. It represents a political strategy that was tried long ago -- and failed long ago.

In the German elections of 1932, the Nazi party received 37 percent of the vote. They became part of a democratically elected coalition government, in which Hitler became chancellor. Only step by step did the Nazis dismantle democratic freedoms and turn the country into a complete dictatorship.

The political majority could have united to stop Hitler from becoming a dictator. But they did not unite. They fought each other over their differences. Some figured that they would take over after the Nazis were discredited and defeated.

Many who plotted this clever strategy died in Nazi concentration camps. Unfortunately, so did millions of others.

What such clever strategies overlook is that there can be a point of no return. We may be close to that point of no return, not only with Obamacare, but also with the larger erosion of personal freedom, of which Obamacare is just the most visible part.[/QUOTE]
Yes, we are at that point. We are at a desperate point. And the silly Nazi analogy only serves to reinforce that Cruz is doing the right thing. Sowell portrays Cruz as the one who wants to wait, but Sowell is the one who wants to wait: he wants to wait until we "control" the Senate with 50+ Republicans, plenty Republicans in name only, who won't dare pass anything that means a damn.

Cruz says, by contrast, we have power NOW. We have the House NOW. Let's use that power. If Sowell wants to go full Godwin on us, then Sowell waiting for the Senate to go GOP is Stauffenberg waiting to assassinate Hitler until he gets Himmler in the room too. Cruz says: we have the bomb NOW, and if we're not going to set it off when we have it, then we may end up having to wait until we're in a room with some damned fool who kicks it with his leg. Why wait? If the situation is desperate then we fight NOW, and those who refuse to fight must be named and shamed.

I'm sorry, Mr. Sowell, but as much as I like you, this piece is rambling, odd, and totally unconvincing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The peerless Thomas Sowell is better at articulating principles of economics and freedom than he is at analyzing politics, and I probably share that failure with him. I'm about to criticize him again, but my intent is not to dump on this great man . . . and I hope I am starting to notice hints that Sowell "gets it," at least in part.

Sowell's latest column starts weak and ends strong, but the strong part undermines the arguments of the weak part so badly that the reader is left asking: so, aren't you wrong after all, then? The overall impression is one of a column written by a bipolar person, who swings from one pole to the other during the course of writing the piece.

Sowell begins the column by attacking Cruz, putting some predictable meat on the bone of his complaints that crazy Ted Cruz is undermining the electoral prospects of Republicans. Cruz's sins? 1) Filibustering against ObamaCare and 2) insisting that Republicans attach their names to a vote to continue the suspension of the debt ceiling:
Senator Cruz's filibuster last year got the Republicans blamed for shutting down the government -- and his threatened filibuster this year forced several Republican Senators to jeopardize their own reelection prospects by voting to impose cloture, to prevent Cruz from repeating his self-serving grandstand play of last year.[/QUOTE]
Basically, Sowell is saying that Cruz done wrong by 1) taking a stand against ObamaCare at some political risk to himself and Republicans, and 2) insisting that Republicans be accountable for their votes on the issue of whether to rein in our insane debt. Those things sound good to me, but Sowell has a reason (if a poor one, in my opinion) for complaining about them: we are putting at risk the re-election of Republicans to the Senate and White House.

But then, Sowell spends the second half of his column explaining why these Republicans don't really deserve to be re-elected. He doesn't put it in these terms, of course, but the attack on the GOP establishment is fairly pointed. It starts off with Sowell's criticism of Republicans' unwillingness to articulate their principles:
One of their most maddening qualities has for decades been their can't-be-bothered attitude when it comes to explaining their positions to the American people in language people can understand. A classic example was Speaker of the House John Boehner's performance when he emerged from a meeting at the White House a while back. There, with masses of television news cameras pointed at him, and a bank of microphones crowded together, he simply expressed his disgust at the Obama administration, turned and walked on away.
Here was a golden opportunity to cut through the Obama administration rhetoric and set the record straight on the issues at hand. But apparently Speaker Boehner couldn't be bothered to have a prepared, and previously thought out, statement to present, conveying something more than his disgust.[/QUOTE]
Indeed. The opposite of walking away from the podium and failing to make an argument, by the way, is to stand up and make your argument in a very public way, designed to grip the public's attention. Something like, oh, say . . . a filibuster. (Or, if you can't achieve that, a staged quasi-filibuster that resembles the real thing closely enough for government work.) Something like what Ted Cruz did, Dr. Sowell, that you are blaming him for.

At the very end, almost as an afterthought, Sowell says that maybe the problem isn't just messaging, but a lack of principle:
The Republican establishment has more than a tactical deficiency, however. They seem to have no principle that they offer or follow with any consistency. Their lack of articulation may be just a reflection of that lack of principle. It is hard to get to the point when you have no point to get to.

Ted Cruz filled a void. But the Republican establishment created the void.[/QUOTE]
Well, yeah. Isn't that kind of the point?

Here's the thing. Sowell's strategy is to get us in control of both houses of Congress and the Presidency, so we can pass a repeal of ObamaCare. But this is not going to be easy. Millions of Americans are being given subsidies as part of the ObamaCare travesty. Electing enough Republicans to control Congress and the White House is necessary to repeal ObamaCare, but it is not sufficient. We also need those Republicans to have spines. As I pointed out in my last post criticizing Sowell, we did not reform entitlement programs during the period when we controlled these two branches of government last decade. Why would it be different now??

If we have a GOP establishment that is too scared to stand up and make a speech about ObamaCare; if we have a GOP establishment that is too scared to either impose the debt ceiling or say why we shouldn't . . . then we have a GOP establishment that is going to be too scared to repeal a program that gives Americans huge handouts.

I have been right there with Sowell in the past arguing that we have to face some practical realities to get Republicans elected. But my attitude has changed as I watched the re-election of this President, the implementation of this disastrous program, and the constant stream of lies, unconstitutional power-grabs, and thuggery against enemies that we have seen from this administration. At this point, Christine O'Donnell could fly into Washington D.C. on a broomstick and I would cheer her on as long as she voted reliably for my policies.

I'm surprised and a disheartened that Sowell is unwilling to champion Ted Cruz, one of the few people in politics who seems to be standing up for the principles Sowell has spent his professional life arguing for, simply because there might be some short-term political risk inherent in Cruz's actions. Making a stand despite the politics is what we want in a leader. Holding politicians accountable for their votes is what we want in a leader. Standing up to Barack Obama's oppressive policies is what we want in a leader.

I hope there is a "Cruz Control Part III" that expands on the end of Sowell's column -- the GOP establishment's lack of principle -- and comes around to the notion that we need people like Ted Cruz.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Randall, whether you agree with Patterico or not, at least you know why conservatives like me are disappointed in Lamar and all the other Republicans who did not support Cruz and Lee in defunding Obamacare. This is precisely the reason why I'm voting for Joe Carr for Senate.

This post was edited on 7/11 8:53 AM by nashvillegoldenflash

Thomas Sowell Criticizes Ted Cruz

Great post, Flash! You did a lot of work there to research Alexander's liberal voting record and expose him as the faux conservative that he is. I hope this helps Randall with making an informed decision.

Vote Carr, not Lamar!

--BBJ

Flash, here's a quote from your post in pertinent part:

"Here's the thing. Sowell's strategy is to get us in control of both houses of Congress and the Presidency, so we can pass a repeal of ObamaCare. But this is not going to be easy. Millions of Americans are being given subsidies as part of the ObamaCare travesty. Electing enough Republicans to control Congress and the White House is necessary to repeal ObamaCare, but it is not sufficient. We also need those Republicans to have spines. As I pointed out in my last post criticizing Sowell, we did not reform entitlement programs during the period when we controlled these two branches of government last decade. Why would it be different now??"

This is exactly right. We had a golden opportunity during the Bush years (when we controlled both houses of Congress and the Presidency) to enact entitlement reform--but didn't do it.

Flash, as you know, entitlement spending is, without question, unsustainable and is driving our country to financial ruin. The fact that the GOP failed when they had the opportunity tells me that the only logical outcome of the spending is financial ruin.

I don't live in TN anymore so don't get to vote in this one...guys like LA are just career politicians. My entire adult life he has had sometime of public position. Its just time to turn some of these guys over.

I live in Maine now...we have on of these Senators, Susan Collins. However, here, if she didn't run, a Democrat would be elected to take her place.

If you want someone more conservative, you should vote for Carr...if LA loses, you have to hold your nose and vote for him in the general.

Mike, I don't understand what you are saying. If Carr defeats Alexander in the primary, why would I have to vote for Alexander in the general election? I fully expect Lamar to win easily so he won't need my vote to win. If I thought the election was going to be close and there was a serious risk of having a democrat win the senate seat, I admit I would be forced to hold my nose and vote for Lamar. Although I could see myself voting for Alexander, I would not vote for Thad Cochran in Mississippi if I lived in the Magnolia State (see link). Now, if Lamar's campaign gets involved with voter fraud and pays democrats to vote for Alexander the way Cochran's campaign did in Mississippi, then I wouldn't vote for him despite the closeness of the race. I realize some good people have endorsed Lamar, including Marsha Blackburn, I just don't happen to be one of them.

Note: [/B]Tennessee is one of 14 states that uses an open primary system, in which registered voters do not have to be members of a party to vote in that party's primary

The only political sign that I currently have in my yard is for Courtney Rogers, who endorses Carr and is running on a "Faith, Family, Freedom" theme. Unfortunately, Diane Black and Marsha Blackburn are supporting Alexander. For the record, I voted for Lou Anne Zelenik instead of Diane Black because she is more conservative than Black. However, I really don't mind Diane as my congressman. except for her endorsement of Alexander.
10271635_717465221640352_7679815979836218958_n.jpg

I hope this is true....

Flash, I agree with your reasoning about Alexander. Although I'm voting for Joe Carr, I realize Carr faces a steep, uphill climb against the well-funded, well-recognized Alexander. We'll both probably wind-up holding our noses voting for Alexander in November.

Also, I might add, I also voted for Lou Anne Zelenik when she ran against Jim Tracy and Diane Black a few years ago. Zelenik was the only one of the three candidates who had the courage to speak out against the mosque situation in Murfreesboro. Tracy and Black chose to ignore it. (BTW, I plan on voting to retain Congressman Scott DesJairlais as our U.S. Congressional Representative for the 4th Congressional District. Rep. DesJairlais has an excellent conservative voting record and has my support.)

--BBJ

Below are all of Joe Carr's endorsements:

State Legislators & Conservative Activists[/B]
Laura IngrahamRalph BristolMichael DelGiornoSenator Stacey Campfield, District 7Senator Joey Hensley, District 28Senator Frank Nicely, District 8Senator Jim Summerville, District 25Representative David Alexander, District 39Representative Sheila Butt, District 6Representative Richard Floyd, District 27Representative Timothy Hill, District 3Representative Andy Holt, District 76Representative Kelly Keisling, District 38Representative Judd Matheny, District 47Representative Mark Pody, District 46Representative Courtney Rogers, District 45Representative Bill Sanderson, District 77Representative Tony Shipley, District 2Representative Mike Sparks, District 49Representative Billy Spivey, District 92Representative Micah Van Huss, District 6Representative Tim Wirgau, District 75Representative Rick Womick, District 34
Conservative Groups[/B]Tea Party Patriots Citizens FundGun Owners of America Political Victory FundNational Association of Gun RightsBeat Lamar, Grassroots Super PACTea Party NationConservative HQTea Party Leadership FundWestern Representation PACUS Immigration Reform PACCoalition for a Constitutional Senate:Anderson County Tea PartyBedford County Tea PartyBenton County Tea PartyCampaign for Liberty Rutherford CountyCarroll County Tea PartyChattanooga Tea PartyCoffee County 9.12 ProjectConcerned Citizens for the Constitution (Knoxville)Conservative Groups of Middle TNCumberland County Tea PartyDickson County Tea PartyDistrict 6 PatriotsFair Tax TennesseeFairview Tea PartyFaith & Freedom Coalition of TNFayette Tea PartyFreedom 4 All: Kingsport Tea PartyGibson County PatriotsGreeneville Tea PartyHawkins County Tea PartyHaywood County Tea PartyHouston County Tea PartyI-VOTE (Wilson County 9.12)Jackson Madison County Tea PartyKnoxville Tea PartyLincoln County Tea PartyMcMinn County Tea PartyMemphis Tea PartyMid-South Tea PartyMonteagle Tea PartyMontgomery County 9.12Mountain City Tea PartyNashville Tea PartyNorth Sumner Tea PartyNortheast TN Coalition of PatriotsObion County Tea PartyOverton County PatriotsParental Rights TennesseePatriots of East TennesseeRepublican Liberty Caucus TNRhea County Tea PartyRoane County Tea PartyRutherford County Tea PartySequatchie County Tea PartySevier County Tea PartySmoky Mountain Tea Party PatriotsSons of Liberty RidersStewart County Tea PartySumner United for Responsible GovernmentTea Party of Bradley CountyTennesseans for LibertyTennessee Action CouncilTennessee Firearms Association, Inc.Tennessee Liberty AllianceTri-Cities Tea Party & 9.12 ProjectUpper Cumberland Tea PartyVolunteer Tea Party (Murfreesboro)Volunteers for Freedom Tea Party (Paris)Warren County 9.12 ProjectWe The People (Tipton County)Wilson County Tea Party

Carr for U.S. Senate

Conservative radio host Laura Ingraham will travel to Tennessee next Tuesday where she will campaign for state Rep. Joe Carr, who is running against U.S. Sen. Lamar Alexander in the Republican primary.
"Electing Joe Carr will be a major victory in this new movement to restore America," Ingraham said in a statement distributed by "Beat Lamar," a group trying to unseat the senator that is backed by a conservative super PAC.
Ingraham will appear at a rally in Nashville. She announced Monday on her radio program that she is "all in" for Carr.
Carr is running to Alexander's right on the issue of immigration. The senator voted for a comprehensive reform bill that includes a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants. Carr and Ingraham staunchly oppose the measure.
Ingraham has been a closely watched figure in politics ever since she campaigned for Dave Brat ahead of his unlikely win over Rep. Eric Cantor (R-Va.), which has by far been the biggest upset of 2014.
The primary is Aug. 7. In addition to Carr, Alexander faces other lesser-known opponents. The senator is viewed as the clear front-runner.

BBJ, I'm planning to go to the rally. What about you?

Laura Ingraham to campaign for Carr next week

NASHVILLE -- Conservative talk radio host Laura Ingraham will headline a rally for Republican U.S. Senate hopeful Joe Carr in his GOP primary challenge to Sen. Lamar Alexander.
An anti-Alexander group, Beat Lamar, said Ingraham,who announced her all-out support for Carr on her program on Monday, will speak at the Restore America: Joe Carr for Senate on July 22 at 7 p.m. The event is at the Millenium Maxwell Hotell in Nashville.
In the group's release, Ingraham was quoted saying, "Tennessee is one of the most beautiful states in America, and deserves a Senator who would rather spend his time with Tennesseans at Cracker Barrel than with lobbyists at elite Washington eateries."
She said with "tens of millions in our country still out of work and the border crisis worsening, citizens across America are waking up to the shocking failures of the Washington establishment that Lamar Alexander calls home. Electing Joe Carr will be a major victory in this new movement to restore America.
Beat Lamar is a project of the Real Conservatives National Committee, an independent expenditure "super" PAC located in Spring Hill, Tenn.

Radio host Laura Ingraham headlining Carr rally

Conservative radio host Laura Ingraham will travel to Tennessee next Tuesday where she will campaign for state Rep. Joe Carr, who is running against U.S. Sen. Lamar Alexander in the Republican primary.

"Electing Joe Carr will be a major victory in this new movement to restore America," Ingraham said in a statement distributed by "Beat Lamar," a group trying to unseat the senator that is backed by a conservative super PAC.

Ingraham will appear at a rally in Nashville. She announced Monday on her radio program that she is "all in" for Carr.

Carr is running to Alexander's right on the issue of immigration. The senator voted for a comprehensive reform bill that includes a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants. Carr and Ingraham staunchly oppose the measure.

Ingraham has been a closely watched figure in politics ever since she campaigned for Dave Brat ahead of his unlikely win over Rep. Eric Cantor (R-Va.), which has by far been the biggest upset of 2014.

The primary is Aug. 7. In addition to Carr, Alexander faces other lesser-known opponents. The senator is viewed as the clear front-runner.

BBJ, I'm planning to go to the rally. What about you?
Flash, I don't think I'll be able to attend, but Rep. Carr does have my full support and I urge others to vote for him. I sure the rally goes well. I'm sure it will. Thanks for asking, my friend.

BBJ, what would it take to get you to go? I will make it worth your while. What shirt size do you wear? As I have stated before, I have more MT apparel than anyone else by a long shot. Just give me your size and I will give you some of my MT apparel just for going to the rally.

Conservative radio host Laura Ingraham endorsed Joe Carr, the Republican Senate challenger to Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN), as a new poll shows that he is gaining significant support in his campaign.
A new poll conducted by Triton Polling, shows that Carr has jumped sixteen points in his race against Alexander in Tennessee since May. Alexander now leads Carr 43-36 percent.
The results show that 6.7 percent of voters chose long shot candidate George Flinn, four percent chose another candidate and 10.1 percent were not sure.
In May the same poll showed Alexander leading by 44-20.
The new results show that Carr has coalesced opposition to Alexander, although the incumbent senator retains a similar margin of support.
Alexander earns a 50.5 percent job approval rating in the poll including Tennessee 23 percent of polled voters who say they strongly approve. That's down from 59 percent in the May poll, as Carr has raised questions about his record on immigration reform.
Both polls were sponsored by Tea Party Nation, an organization supporting Carr's candidacy.
"Lamar Alexander is the poster child for what is wrong with Washington Republicans," said Judson Phillips, Tea Party Nation president. "In Tennessee, he is known as 'liberal Lamar.' He is the most liberal Republican senator running for reelection and he is the senator every Tea Party and conservative group should have targeted. There is still time for conservatives to defeat another liberal Republican."
The survey was conducted July 10 and July 11 of 1,099 likely Tennessee Republican voters and has a margin of error of 2.9 percent.
Radio show Laura Ingraham, a champion against amnesty for illegal immigrants, endorsed Carr on Monday.
"I'm all in for Joe Carr," Ingraham said on her show. "I think he's, look, he's no nonsense, a citizen legislator he'll be and he'll be someone who will actually listen to the people, politicians at some point do have to listen to the concerns of the people, not just the concerns of one or two, big, fat, interest groups like either LaRaza or the Chamber of Commerce, the people still count, don't they Lamar?"
Ingraham has previously promoted Carr's candidacy based on his record of opposing amnesty, and Carr even signed the Federation for American Immigration Reform's "no-amnesty pledge" on her radio show.
Carr welcomed Ingraham's comments as a "game changing moment" in the race, citing her effect in the David Brat primary win against House Majority Leader Rep. Eric Cantor (R-VA).
"Laura Ingraham was one of the very first national voices who felt that our campaign against Lamar Alexander's brazen support of amnesty was credible and viable," Carr said. "After seeing the significant impact Laura had on the Dave Brat-Eric Cantor race, we believe this can be a game-changing moment in this campaign."

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...teen-Points-In-Fight-Against-Lamar-Alexander#

JOE CARR SPIKES IN POLL AS LAURA INGRAHAM ENDORSES

BBJ, are you sure you won't be able to attend the Carr rally next Tuesday? I'm serious about making the trip to Nashville worthwhile for you. Just tell me your height and weight and I will know what I have that will fit you. And I'm not talking about bringing t-shirts either. I have great looking Nike MT pullovers that you would love to have. Just let me know my friend.

BBJ, are you sure you won't be able to attend the Carr rally next Tuesday? I'm serious about making the trip to Nashville worthwhile for you. Just tell me your height and weight and I will know what I have that will fit you. And I'm not talking about bringing t-shirts either. I have great looking Nike MT pullovers that you would love to have. Just let me know my friend.
Flash, thanks so much for the kind offer, but unfortunately, I won't be able to attend. I can assure you that I will continue to support Rep. Carr and will definitely vote for him. Thanks again, my friend.

About 500 tea party activists gathered at a Nashville hotel Tuesday night for a rallying speech by conservative radio show host
Joe Carr.
In a speech that seemed to tap into the audience's deep-seated concerns over immigration and the pace of change in the country, Ingraham spoke for 45 minutes to a packed house at the Millennium Maxwell House Hotel that attended a "Beat Lamar" rally for Carr.
Comparing U.S. Sen. Lamar Alexander to an old sweater, a hooked fish, beige wallpaper and a baseball player who has struck out, Ingraham urged listeners to believe Carr, a three-term state representative from Lascassas, can upset the incumbent senator in the Aug. 7 Republican primary.
She said Alexander has failed to stand up to liberals and Democrats, whom she said were more concerned with reshaping America than standing up for their interests.
"I'm here to tell you that he still is not hearing you," she said.
The appearance came as the Carr campaign is trying to build momentum in the final stages of the race. With a national radio audience, Ingraham could help attract money and supporters to Carr's campaign, which has trailed far behind Alexander's financially.
Another group that backs Carr already has made plans to capitalize on the event. On Wednesday, Tea Party Patriots Citizens Fund, a political action committee, plans to announce it will spend $20,000 on a get-out-the-vote effort in support of Carr.
"It's not as big and sexy as a media buy," said spokesman Kevin Broughton, "but it's pretty authentic."
In her speech, Ingraham touched on longstanding tea party grievances over Obamacare and the bailouts of Wall Street banks, but she -- and Carr -- hit Alexander especially hard on immigration.
The issue has been central to Carr's and Ingraham's political careers. Both said the immigration reform bill that the Senate passed last year had contributed to the rise in children coming to the border.
"They want a constant supply of uneducated, low-wage labor so they can perpetuate their attack on the American way of life," Carr said.
nas-ingrahamcarr-02.jpg

Laura Ingraham speaks during a rally Tuesday for Joe Carr at Millennium Maxwell House Hotel in Nashville.(Photo: Jae S. Lee / The Tennessean)

Alexander voted for that legislation, saying it would strengthen the border, fix a broken immigration system and stop "de facto amnesty."
Also Tuesday, Alexander's campaign released a new TV ad Tuesday that features U.S. Sen. Fred Thompson. In the spot, Thompson says Alexander, whom he describes as a friend off 44 years, "is a conservative United States senator who deserves re-election" and lists off endorsements from groups such as National Right to Life and U.S. Chamber of Commerce.
"That's why conservatives I know are voting for Lamar," Thompson says.
The campaign said the ad will begin airing Wednesday statewide.
1406087234000-NAS-INGRAHAM-CARR-076.jpg

Laura Ingraham shakes hands with Glen Wilson during a rally for Joe Carr at Millennium Maxwell House Hotel in Nashville on Tuesday, July 22, 2014.(Photo: Jae S. Lee / The Tennessean)

Carr and Ingraham mocked Alexander's endorsements, saying they reflect a senator who is out of touch.
"We have senators in Washington who issue press releases and hide behind endorsements, and who occasionally will show up for the photo op," she said. "I don't particularly think they're making a difference."

Laura Ingraham plugs Joe Carr with Nashville rally

Thank you, Lamar Alexander, for the respect and integrity you've shown in your many years of public service in Washington. With the new challenges in D.C., the time has come for new leaders who are willing to stand up to the political establishments and the Obama administration and say, "no mas!" Unfortunately, advocating and voting for amnesty, cash for clunkers, bailouts, raising the debt ceiling, and many controversial Obama administration nominees has marred the incumbent's record. It's time for a change.

Joe Carr is the new voice Tennessee needs in the U.S. Senate! Joe is a citizen legislator who brings his small business experience to bear in the Tennessee General Assembly. He's stood up to those in his own party, fighting to enact some of the toughest illegal immigration legislation in the country and working to make Tennessee the 4th most business friendly state in the nation. Joe knows that government is most often the problem, not the solution, and he will work to reduce the size of our federal bureaucracy and always use the Constitution as his guide.

It's a disappointment that after so many years in office Senator Alexander has refused to debate Joe Carr in this campaign. Really, it's pretty unbelievable because the good people of Tennessee deserve to hear from both these candidates to know who will be on their side and who will choose the Washington status quo.

The conservative grassroots patriots in Tennessee have clearly spoken. When I visited there earlier this month, I was impressed by all the energy and momentum behind Joe Carr. Please join me in supporting him as the Volunteer State's next Senator!

- Sarah Palin

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT