ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL The HC on the other sideline last night...

FranklinRaider315

Hall of Famer
Jun 24, 2009
Franklin, TN
Was coaching Texas HS Football 6 years ago.

5 years ago he began his collegiate career and was named National Recruiter of the Year. Our guy was awarded THREE additional years to an existing 5-year deal.

Think about that for a minute.

Was coaching Texas HS Football 6 years ago.

5 years ago he began his collegiate career and was named National Recruiter of the Year. Our guy was awarded THREE additional years to an existing 5-year deal.

Think about that for a minute.
Some of the GoMiddle staff were talking about that in our group message - if MT has to make a coaching hire this fall, what would the reaction be if the powers that be hired Arkansas’ RB coach?

Some of the GoMiddle staff were talking about that in our group message - if MT has to make a coaching hire this fall, what would the reaction be if the powers that be hired Arkansas’ RB coach?

Two thoughts on that:

1. I’d literally take anyone right now over what we have. Anyone. I’d be so happy; I’d immediately donate to the BRAA upon the announcement of a staff change. So give me the guy who cleans up stadium in Jonesboro if you want.

2. I want a guy who wants to be in the SEC in 5 years. No more lifers. No more guys who want to retire here. No guys with more years behind them than in front of them. No one who looks at MTSU as their final destination.

I want someone hungry. Someone who is not going to settle for simply “competing” because he’salready got lifetime security.

And if that happens to be the Arkansas State RB coach, sign me up

Definitely see improvement in Georgia recruiting.

That’s not a very exciting hire as HC. Anything would be better though.

It’s Western Week but I doubt there will be much excitement in the Student Center over the Head Coach handing out free t-shirts and promoting Hundred Miles of Hate. So far, TV coverage has gone back to ESPN3.

Traylor was a successful head coach and recruiter before UTSA

Jeff Taylor's history:

... he was named four-time Texas High School Coach of the Year for Class 4A, and posted a 175-26 record (.871 winning percentage). During his 15 year tenure Coach Traylor led the Buckeyes to five state championship game appearances, three state titles and 12 district crowns.

While with the Texas Longhorns football program Traylor signed the No. 7-ranked recruiting class in the country in back-to-back years and was named Big 12 Recruiter of the Year.[7]

For the 2018 and 2019 football seasons, Traylor served as the associate head coach and running back coach at the University of Arkansas.

Traylor was a successful head coach and recruiter before UTSA

Jeff Taylor's history:

... he was named four-time Texas High School Coach of the Year for Class 4A, and posted a 175-26 record (.871 winning percentage). During his 15 year tenure Coach Traylor led the Buckeyes to five state championship game appearances, three state titles and 12 district crowns.

While with the Texas Longhorns football program Traylor signed the No. 7-ranked recruiting class in the country in back-to-back years and was named Big 12 Recruiter of the Year.[7]

For the 2018 and 2019 football seasons, Traylor served as the associate head coach and running back coach at the University of Arkansas.
I get all that. I’m not saying Traylor is a bad coach - I don’t know.

I’m just imagining a world in which Stock is replaced, but the hire is a position coach for a bad team.

Initial impression isn’t what matters, either, just a thought experiment.

Well I'll have you know the HC on our sideline was CUSA coach of the year two years ago who during his COTY season gave us the infamous 12 men on the field.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
We need someone with Championships in his background, at every level, he's played and coached at, even if his highest job was a position coach. Somebody that knows and has seen what it takes. Anything else is a shot in the dark.

We need someone with Championships in his background, at every level, he's played and coached at, even if his highest job was a position coach. Somebody that knows and has seen what it takes. Anything else is a shot in the dark.

Rick has 21 years at the FBS level (27 total) and one outright conference title to his name. That was 1991 at Clemson as a QB coach. Oh and then Clemson promptly got blown out in their bowl game.

He’s never known what a program looks like that’s able to consistently “compete” at a championship caliber level.

116-84 as an assistant. When you do the math on that he averaged as an assistant about exactly what he’s averaged as a head coach. 7-5 (rounded). And a 4-8 record in bowl games as an assistant.

6.8 wins and 4.9 losses over 17 years. One championship. That’s it. Shouldn’t be a surprise in what we have.

I'd take anybody from Arky St., App St., Marshall, ULL or any program that is making noise right now. Any of those coaches are far better to the ones we have right now. We need someone young and hungry who's on an uptick.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT