ADVERTISEMENT

The Challenge of Transferring College Credits/Immediate Eligibility

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
A 2017 study is now being used to argue against immediately eligibility for student athletes because of the impact on graduation...

The Challenge of Transferring College Credits

...Data from this report shows that students lost an estimated 43 percent of college credits when they transferred, or an estimated 13 credits, on average. The average credits lost during transfer is equivalent to about four courses, which is almost one semester of full-time enrollment.....

Well, if more schools adopt the UNC model, the graduation rates for athletes should increase...

Reactions: MT Glenn
I want to see a statistic showing transfers actually transferring for academics over athletics. I would probably care more if it favored academics. Right now, its low on my who gives a flip-o-meter.

When I transferred to MT, I lost a semester of credits because I initially planned on going to it UTK and some specific courses didn’t go toward graduation for MT. The info was available from MT, but I didn’t take the time to look it up.

Point being, the NCAA could easily provide a database of requirements for each member school and require the receiving school provide an audit to the student prior to leaving. Or adults take responsibility for the choices they make and all the consequences.

I made a choice without knowing all the information as an adult. So it was my fault to deal with consequences. Truth is, eating that semester was a great decision.

You want to transfer, take responsibility for your actions. Schools aren’t stopping you from transferring now, it’s up to you.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
When I transferred back to MT, I didn't lose one credit hour which was really nice. My advisor spent a lot of time working with me on the transfer. Even in the 90s, I used email to talk to MT's advisor to know what I was getting into, what would transfer, and what may not work out.

However, my reason for transferring was academic in that I wanted the program at MT. These guys are not transferring for academics.

ADVERTISEMENT