ADVERTISEMENT

The board is kind of dead right now....

MTsumner92

All American
Jul 31, 2005
Hendersonville
Therefore I will bring up a topic for discussion.

What should Titans do for their first round pick?

The Titans have received more free press out of this than I could of possibly imagined.

I'm torn. I really don't know what is best for them to do. If Mett is your QB, it is probably best to deal for picks as they need help in a LOT of areas. I will say, if they draft Winston, I will be going back to being a Cowboys fan. I will be completely done with the Titans.

Originally posted by MTsumner92:

Therefore I will bring up a topic for discussion.

What should Titans do for their first round pick?

The Titans have received more free press out of this than I could of possibly imagined.
The answer to this question is complicated IMO.

The Titans SHOULD trade down. Will they wisely take advantage of several teams wanting to move up for Mariotta? We will see (I'll be in Chicago for the draft).

I love Mariotta. He's a winner, a leader, a proven character, with a good arm and mobility. But the Titans, as long as Whiz is HC, will not draft Mariotta (if they do, it's a sign that Webster wears the pants in the relationship and Whiz may be out the door). Let me put this bluntly, the only man I trust to know what to do with Mariotta is Chip Kelly and I have enough concerns about the Titans (and other NFL teams) willingness to mold an offense around what Mariotta's does best that I say the Titans will pass on Mariotta for Leonard Williams if they stay at 2 or a trade down.

I'm not sold on Mett as the QB of the future, nor do I want to trade the 2nd pick for Rivers straight up as the columnist from the San Diego paper suggested yesterday. Rivers for the 2nd pick would be a totally Titans move so I'm prepared to have my heart broken while watching the NFL draft live from DraftTown in Chicago.

The best thing for the Titans to do, as mentioned earlier, is trade down. Pick up picks. Target a RT and edge rusher, CB, or WR with the first 3 picks. Fills needs and their should be some quality players at those positions when the Titans pick. Though, it wouldn't kill me if the Titans went after a power RB in the 3rd round (Ajayi or Yeldon?) - a power run game would help the Titans be more physical, a more consistent run threat, which should take some pressure off Mett with a solid play action game and improved OL

It is my understanding that San Diego would have to give up this years and next years number 1 in order to do this. That would be fair imo.

Originally posted by MTsumner92:

It is my understanding that San Diego would have to give up this years and next years number 1 in order to do this. That would be fair imo.
Depends on who you talk to and what the reporter says. SD writers says Rivers is worth a 2 straight up. I disagree. I would need a much more than the 2nd pick to make that trade

I hope we don't trade for Rivers under any circumstances being mentioned. He is 33 years old and hasn't led better teams than ours very deep in the playoffs, so what would he do for us in the few years he has left. I hope we trade down and try to fill some of the many holes we have on the team. We need a tackle, we need an edge rusher and, Good Lord, we need a cornerback. Bledi Wrey-Wilson couldn't cover me and I am a 64 year old man. I hope they get this right and trade down, strengthen the team and then worry about getting a quarterback.

Originally posted by ttuman4702:
I hope we don't trade for Rivers under any circumstances being mentioned. He is 33 years old and hasn't led better teams than ours very deep in the playoffs, so what would he do for us in the few years he has left. I hope we trade down and try to fill some of the many holes we have on the team. We need a tackle, we need an edge rusher and, Good Lord, we need a cornerback. Bledi Wrey-Wilson couldn't cover me and I am a 64 year old man. I hope they get this right and trade down, strengthen the team and then worry about getting a quarterback.
I'm not 100% sold that a trade for Rivers is the best thing for the Titans long term, but it would solve some short term issues.
1) QB - I'm not sold that Mett can win at the NFL level, much less stay healthy behind the Titans OL play of late.
2) Rivers has won. He's only had 1 losing season in 9 years as a NFL starter (finished 7-9) and has never missed a game. After Locker, Mett, and other recent Titans QB, durability has to be considered
3) Rivers and Whiz are tight. Rivers put up GREAT numbers with Whiz as OC.

What worries me is
1) Rivers age - he's only got 4-5 more years left at most and this only pushes off the inevitable "heir to Rivers/next Titans QB" discussion
2) Rivers health - reports is that he has back issues
3) Rivers dedication - will he resign with Tennessee

Other things I've considered
1) While I'm not sold that Mett is the Titans QB of future (long term), I want to see what he can do behind a revamped and healthy OL (let's face it, Titans OL last year had serious health issues and poor protection played a role in Mett's injury)
2) L Williams, edge rusher, and draft picks - What is the best us of the 2nd pick value - Rivers or extra draft picks in a trade down?

If the Chargers would do Rivers, 1st round pick (17th overall), 2nd round pick for the Titans 2nd overall, I'd probably pull the trigger (though I doubt this situation would materialize), but this would allow the Titans to fill a lot of needs
1) QB - Rivers
2) OL / Edge rusher / WR / CB with the 1st round pick, 2 2nd round picks, and a 3rd round pick (I'd even consider replacing CB with a RB)

Titans defense will be improved. Cox is an upgrade opposite McCourty and, if healthy, Orakpo and Morgan should be better (if healthy) than Wimbley and Morgan. Let's not forget that Wimbley is still around as a capable backup, combined with improved front 7 and better S play from Searcy, the defense SHOULD be better. Dick LeBeau, hopefully, will work some magic as well.

But, right now, I don't see the Titans, without a good draft, with more than 6 wins.

ADVERTISEMENT