ADVERTISEMENT

The Athletic G5 Mailbag

RaiderDoug

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2005

I got my question answered!

It's nothing we haven't discussed or already knew, but I thought I'd share my 15 seconds of fame (infamy?).

Maybe someone, somewhere will notice. Meh, who am i kidding....

Sub required.

Have you seen anything like what’s happened to MTSU? They’ve given Rick Stockstill, a .500 coach who’s not popular with the fans, who hasn’t won a conference title in 18 years, essentially a lifetime contract (an automatic extension for a 6-6 season). A once growing program has dwindled down to embarrassing attendance, no interest at all thanks to repeated mediocre seasons, poor recruiting, poor development, etc. — Douglas R.

MTSU is kind of like the G5 Iowa, with a head coach contract it can’t get out of. Good enough to make bowl games regularly, not good enough to win the league. Everything’s just kind of stuck in “above average,” with one season with more than eight wins (10-3 in 2009).

There are certainly worse places to be from a fan standpoint, but after 17 years under Stockstill, I understand why fans would want more. It’s especially noteworthy in a region growing in population and football talent that MTSU should be able to take advantage of.

Athletic has great G5 coverage and many of the writers are active on Twitter as well. Chris Vannini is one of my favorite follows.

Reactions: AustinLewis
ADVERTISEMENT