ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL The 2020 season

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
I know it was discussed when the schedule was released, but in light of the recruiting class signed, spring practice being cancelled, and little to no changes made to the staff, I looked at the schedule again, hoping to divine something more positive than my initial 4-8 forecast. Have problems coming up with more than 4 wins... Even with 6 home games. I can see a 1-5 record at home being more likely than not. Anybody else care to beat this dead horse???

2020 Middle Tennessee Football Schedule
Sept. 5 at Duke
Sept. 12 Indiana State
Sept. 19 Virginia Tech

Sept. 26 at Old Dominion*
Oct. 3 WKU*
Oct. 10 at FIU*
Oct. 17 North Texas*
Oct. 24 at Rice*
Nov. 7 Charlotte*
Nov. 14 at Marshall*
Nov. 21 at UConn
Nov. 28 FAU*
Dec. 5 C-USA Championship Game

I know it was discussed when the schedule was released, but in light of the recruiting class signed, spring practice being cancelled, and little to no changes made to the staff, I looked at the schedule again, hoping to divine something more positive than my initial 4-8 forecast. Have problems coming up with more than 4 wins... Even with 6 home games. I can see a 1-5 record at home being more likely than not. Anybody else care to beat this dead horse???

2020 Middle Tennessee Football Schedule
Sept. 5 at Duke
Sept. 12 Indiana State
Sept. 19 Virginia Tech

Sept. 26 at Old Dominion*
Oct. 3 WKU*
Oct. 10 at FIU*
Oct. 17 North Texas*
Oct. 24 at Rice*
Nov. 7 Charlotte*
Nov. 14 at Marshall*
Nov. 21 at UConn
Nov. 28 FAU*
Dec. 5 C-USA Championship Game
I think wins vs. Indiana State, ODU, Rice, and UCONN. Probably gonna win 2 of the 4 conference home games. May pull a conference win on the road and go 7-5 (5-3).

Reactions: Raiders_55
I agree with 4-8, with wins over Indiana St, ODU, Rice and UConn. The only way I see it going better is if we can take Charlotte and FAU at home. It may be a little too chilly for FAU to bring their "A game".

I can see us having another losing season and Massaro blaming it on the pandemic, followed by him giving Stock another contract extension. All the while ignoring every other university dealt with the same pandemic.

Reactions: coachchia
0-0

I seriously doubt 2020 happens.

Vaccine likely won’t be available until early 2021. Maybe December at the earliest.

We’re going to be in a reduced societal engagement posture for some time. Folks may be going back to work by then but events like this aren’t likely to happen for the remainder of the calendar year.

Although social distancing at MT football games wouldn’t actually be a problem.

0-0

I seriously doubt 2020 happens.

Vaccine likely won’t be available until early 2021. Maybe December at the earliest.

We’re going to be in a reduced societal engagement posture for some time. Folks may be going back to work by then but events like this aren’t likely to happen for the remainder of the calendar year.

Although social distancing at MT football games wouldn’t actually be a problem.

Agree. I just can't see sports being played for awhile.

If we get a vaccine in 12-18 months for a novel virus, that would be the fastest vaccine development maybe in the history of vaccines. It normally takes a decade or more.

The best hope for football is that this virus disappears like other enveloped viruses do in the summer. SARS Cov1 arrived in November and was gone in July & we don’t really have a good explanation why. Hopefully SARS Cov2 does the same.

Reactions: MTLynn
Would there be anything to gain if schools decided to play with no one in the stands?

I could see the merit for professional sports but without that revenue for schools what’s the point?

If we get a vaccine in 12-18 months for a novel virus, that would be the fastest vaccine development maybe in the history of vaccines. It normally takes a decade or more.

The best hope for football is that this virus disappears like other enveloped viruses do in the summer. SARS Cov1 arrived in November and was gone in July & we don’t really have a good explanation why. Hopefully SARS Cov2 does the same.

Not a Doctor, a 'public health official' or an expert, and am not susceptible to the 'hair on fire' narrative at this point. Too many experts have been all over the map on predictions, but the seasonal aspect has some validity I believe.

Australia is in late summer, and didn't restrict traffic from China until after the USA did and it still had loopholes. Australia has tested nearly 300K, only have 5500 confirmed cases, and only 30 deaths. The relatively mild outbreak in their summer would seem to indicate there is a significant seasonal component in the spread...

https://www.health.gov.au/news/heal...s-covid-19-current-situation-and-case-numbers

new-and-cumulative-covid-19-cases-in-australia-by-notification-date_3.png

Last edited:
Not a Doctor, a 'public health official' or an expert, and am not susceptible to the 'hair on fire' narrative at this point. Too many experts have been all over the map on predictions, but the seasonal aspect has some validity I believe.

Australia is in late summer, and didn't restrict traffic from China until after the USA did and it still had loopholes. Australia has tested nearly 300K, only have 5500 confirmed cases, and only 30 deaths. The relatively mild outbreak in their summer would seem to indicate there is a significant seasonal component in the spread...

https://www.health.gov.au/news/heal...s-covid-19-current-situation-and-case-numbers

new-and-cumulative-covid-19-cases-in-australia-by-notification-date_3.png
I think the question becomes if colleges will allow students to come back to campus and go to traditional classes. If they do, I imagine you can justify playing football. If not, I’m not sure how you can.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT