ADVERTISEMENT

SUTTON Transferring to Alabama

blueboro007

All American
Dec 8, 2006
EVAgqTdUwAEqZTg

I'm going out on a limb and speculate that she's transferring for the same reason Anna Jones left last year.
Nuff said!

Why did Anna Jones transfer?

Once again I rushed my post and implied that I know more than I do (slow brain and poor keyboarding skills), but I have been keeping up with happenings in the Boro. I should have said something to the effect:

I have no inside information but I would imagine that both Sutton and Anna Jones had the same reason as a contributing factor for leaving the LRs.

Sutton was pushed out of her position by newcomers, so this isn't entirely a surprise. Wish her the best at Alabama - they definitely need good players like her, not the greatest team this past year though they somehow finished 18-12.

Looking at the roster I fail to see how a sophomore who was a C-USA "Freshman of the Year" was "pushed out of her position by newcomers" but I will admit I'm not as knowledgeable as many LR fans.

I will agree with anyone who states that we were short in statue on the perimeter with Sutton at PG, Aisylnn H. at 2, and Anastasia H. at the 3. But I fail to see anyone currently on the roster or signed for next year who could be an upgrade to those three on the perimeter.
Is there anyone who could start at the 3 position moving one of the Hayes sisters to PG? Is there another PG who could start and be equal or better than Sutton? I just don't see a player who fulfills either of those roles.

Whittington is a nice player but do you think we would be better with her starting?
Whitson at the 3? Don't think so
With her skills Booth can play anywhere but will she ever be more than a 10 min. player?
If either Lewis or Turner were good enough to start over Sutton next year they would have seen more PT this year.

Unless you think White or one of the two signees can play extensively on the perimeter I fail to see the logic of your argument.

Maybe just maybe the path to a championship is a little less crowded, ODU wbb coach McCray hired away by Miss State

Looking at the roster I fail to see how a sophomore who was a C-USA "Freshman of the Year" was "pushed out of her position by newcomers" but I will admit I'm not as knowledgeable as many LR fans.

I will agree with anyone who states that we were short in statue on the perimeter with Sutton at PG, Aisylnn H. at 2, and Anastasia H. at the 3. But I fail to see anyone currently on the roster or signed for next year who could be an upgrade to those three on the perimeter.
Is there anyone who could start at the 3 position moving one of the Hayes sisters to PG? Is there another PG who could start and be equal or better than Sutton? I just don't see a player who fulfills either of those roles.

Whittington is a nice player but do you think we would be better with her starting?
Whitson at the 3? Don't think so
With her skills Booth can play anywhere but will she ever be more than a 10 min. player?
If either Lewis or Turner were good enough to start over Sutton next year they would have seen more PT this year.

Unless you think White or one of the two signees can play extensively on the perimeter I fail to see the logic of your argument.

To clarify a few things here, Sutton did not play the PG position this past year - that was Aislynn Hayes. And she too received a freshman of the year award. We can certainly debate who has more potential, but she, Hayes that is, seems more athletic at least. Sutton is a good player but she did get bumped from the PG position in favor of Aislynn.

Another thing I will note is that yes, in fact, Whittington was supposed to have been playing the 3 position this past year anyway. If you look back, both players and coaches made note of the fact that she is naturally a wing player not someone who needs to be in the post. She started a lot in the past on the wing and I expect she’ll go back there when we have a more balanced roster next year.

Two more things to note - Whitson in fact was described by coaches as more of a Brandi Brown player than a super Alex Johnson post. It’s not unreasonable to think she could swing out to that 3 when needed. Also, per Matt Insell we are signing 2 new players this week one on Wednesday and one on Friday, let’s see who those are.

To clarify a few things here, Sutton did not play the PG position this past year - that was Aislynn Hayes. And she too received a freshman of the year award. We can certainly debate who has more potential, but she, Hayes that is, seems more athletic at least. Sutton is a good player but she did get bumped from the PG position in favor of Aislynn.

Another thing I will note is that yes, in fact, Whittington was supposed to have been playing the 3 position this past year anyway. If you look back, both players and coaches made note of the fact that she is naturally a wing player not someone who needs to be in the post. She started a lot in the past on the wing and I expect she’ll go back there when we have a more balanced roster next year.

Two more things to note - Whitson in fact was described by coaches as more of a Brandi Brown player than a super Alex Johnson post. It’s not unreasonable to think she could swing out to that 3 when needed. Also, per Matt Insell we are signing 2 new players this week one on Wednesday and one on Friday, let’s see who those are.

As I stated I defer to those with more knowledge of the LRs, and you obviously qualify. I have no qualms with your first paragraph and while all three perimeter starters had somewhat similar skills I primarily thought of Sutton at the PG because of her size and the fact that she was clearly PG as a freshman.

As for your analysis of Whittington and Whitson: From watching I can't imagine Whittington was penciled in as a starter last year by anyone at any time on the perimeter in front of Sutton or either Hayes because of her deficiencies on both ends of the floor. As for Whitson I see her as a fair-sized stretch 4 but hardly a future Brandi Brown. But that said; I can see either of them having a major perimeter role, even starting, on a really good team if the other 4 on the floor are all exceptional at their positions.

The thing in your post that gives me the most hope that the Lady Raiders will have a better year than the last (in which we began with such excitement and had so many unexpected things go wrong) is that we have two upcoming signings (and if need be two more to give if my math is correct). I'm hoping that at least one will be a "can't miss" perimeter player so this discussion becomes irrelevant other than for the fact that I hate to see any quality player in any sport leave the school I love.

Either Matt Insell was overly enthusiastic or you were misled by him. We didn't sign two new players, not even one. We got the signing of a previous commit and a commit for next year. No real unexpected help for the upcoming season.
If my math is correct we still have 4 to give to reach the NCAA limit. Surely we'll find someone who can fill the immediate need on the perimeter.

Either Matt Insell was overly enthusiastic or you were misled by him. We didn't sign two new players, not even one. We got the signing of a previous commit and a commit for next year. No real unexpected help for the upcoming season.
If my math is correct we still have 4 to give to reach the NCAA limit. Surely we'll find someone who can fill the immediate need on the perimeter.
We have signed Kozlova a 6'4 forward and Deja Cage 5'8" 5th yr player that was Old Miss leading scorer. She is an outside treat that is proven against SEC players. With what we have coming back I think we will be better than last year but we will miss Savage.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Well, would you look at that...

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Well, would you look at that...

Even though she signed a few days later than expected it's nice to see we got a new signee who could be just what we need on the perimeter next year with the defection of Sutton (and we gained a few inches).
Blue Raider fans have to hope that next year, if we have a season, the LRs will have as much good luck as we had bad luck last year. If so, the pieces could be in place to finally see a really good post-season for the LRs and get to that elusive 2nd weekend of the NCAA tournament.

I would just settle for getting to the 2nd game of the NCAA tournament. What has it been? 14 years?

Don't know how long it has been since we won a game on the women's side but I do believe, IIRC, Insell has yet to match Stephanie Smith's NCAA two win total.
I do know that neither the M or W have ever won two games making the sweet 16 which would qualify IMHO as making a "run". I realize we've made a lot of tournaments and won, is is 7?, games between both squads which many schools would see as successful. To me, however, it's hard to call MT a BkB school since neither team has won that 2nd game to get to the 2nd weekend. Best chance recently was Davis' last year but we know how that ended: The wheels came off.

ADVERTISEMENT