BASKETBALL strange timing for an assistant to leave

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
at western ky mbb...

excerpt:

...Williams served as a mentor to WKU signee Mitchell Robinson, a McDonald’s All-American, during the five-star center’s high school days in Louisiana.

Robinson committed to the Hilltoppers last summer shortly after Williams’ hire. However, the player’s relationship with Stansbury goes back to before the coach was hired by WKU and added Williams to his coaching staff.

Stansbury, a Texas A&M assistant from 2014-16, recruited Robinson and secured his commitment to the Aggies in 2015. Robinson then decommitted from Texas A&M when Stansbury left the Southeastern Conference school to take over at WKU following the 2015-16 season.

Robinson hasn’t yet reported to campus this summer. He was slated to start classes for the second summer school session later in July due to potential conflicts with USA Basketball.

Robinson took part in tryouts last month for the USA U19 team. He was one of 18 finalists, but didn’t make the final cut to 12 for the team, which is currently competing in Egypt at the FIBA U19 Basketball World Cup.

Reports of Williams' departure come shortly after sophomore guard Damari Parris found out this weekend that his scholarship wouldn't be renewed for the 2017-18 season.....

Apparently there is quite a bit of turmoil up there right now.

Last edited:
Yep, the last remaining assistant (Cheeks?) on his original staff is gone, and I saw a prospect for the 2018 class tweeted he had removed wky from consideration as a result.

I couldn't help but think he brought the most effective (cough. cough) recruiters to kick start his recruiting and got rid of them after their work was done, so he could have plausible deniability when the ncaa inevitably come sniffing around.

Stans is the best recruiter I know of to have the NCAA sniff around and never get caught.

3 signs of a Stans coached team - stockpiling talent that seems to always unachieve.

A ridiculous number of high profile transfers. Even in today's game, way too many will transfer.

Behind the scenes turmoil.

Looks like the same pattern at WKU as he had previously.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT