ADVERTISEMENT

Stock's Record

I don't know. That's kind of my point. I'm not sure we really know what the entirety of the G5 facilities situation is. Who wants to take a road trip to all 50+ G5 programs and rank them? Me neither.

I'm just not sure that facilities is the be all end all on the recruiting trail. I'm sure it makes quite an impression, and on some guys, maybe it is the difference. But I think a lot goes into it - relationships with recruiters and coaches are huge. Other factors are past on field performance and success, chances at the NFL, distance from home, games on TV, on-field offensive and defensive systems, how you fit in with teammates, do you like the city and area, how are the parties? Heck, even academics for some kids.

Good coaches are able to overcome all sorts of facilities and resource deficiencies. I've seen programs like Northwestern win the Big 10, Wake Forest win the ACC, and Washington State/Stanford win the P10/12. I've seen Vanderbilt win 9 games in consecutive years vs the SEC. No one could claim that those programs have the facilities or resources of their peers, yet they still managed to win with skilled/dedicated coaches. That's what we're lacking.

The fact is that it's been 17 years of failure. So, I'm just not sure that the evidence is there that Stock is a championship coach except for the one variable of facilities. And if you're not a championship coach after 17 tries, then you're just not the guy.

This is it.

If we fire Stockstill after 2011 or 2014, then we have better facilities now. Because those moves would have energized the base.

If we fired Rick after 2019 and then bring in Lee now with the new coach going into year 3, then the fundraiser would have been double what it was.

The truth is, the facilities are as bad as they are because Stockstill and Massaro are here.

When you have a coach for 17 years and zero conference championships, no one is gonna care because the message is that the school doesn't care. That's why stock is the only coach in G5 that's been there for as long as he has. G5's have to cycle coaches to generate interest. They have to. The fact that we haven't is proof that the dept. wants success without change and that's the rub. So if the MT social media expert guy is reading all of this, pass that to the AD please. If Stock doesn't win anything this year, he needs to go or it's rinse and repeat for next year. Y'all better break soome dirt too.

If he did win one this year, I actually wouldn't ask for his firing for the next season. Doesn't mean he's off Scott free, but I wouldn't #fireStock for a few months.

I don't know. That's kind of my point. I'm not sure we really know what the entirety of the G5 facilities situation is. Who wants to take a road trip to all 50+ G5 programs and rank them? Me neither.

I'm just not sure that facilities is the be all end all on the recruiting trail. I'm sure it makes quite an impression, and on some guys, maybe it is the difference. But I think a lot goes into it - relationships with recruiters and coaches are huge. Other factors are past on field performance and success, chances at the NFL, distance from home, games on TV, on-field offensive and defensive systems, how you fit in with teammates, do you like the city and area, how are the parties? Heck, even academics for some kids.

Good coaches are able to overcome all sorts of facilities and resource deficiencies. I've seen programs like Northwestern win the Big 10, Wake Forest win the ACC, and Washington State/Stanford win the P10/12. I've seen Vanderbilt win 9 games in consecutive years vs the SEC. No one could claim that those programs have the facilities or resources of their peers, yet they still managed to win with skilled/dedicated coaches. That's what we're lacking.

The fact is that it's been 17 years of failure. So, I'm just not sure that the evidence is there that Stock is a championship coach except for the one variable of facilities. And if you're not a championship coach after 17 tries, then you're just not the guy.
Excellent Post...

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
17-39 against G5 schools, with a winning record, is absolutely pathetic. Donating money to a regime that is ok with that, would be like buying stock in Shoneys.
Being at the Shoneys Breakfast Bar is about as frustrating as watching MTSU Football. They put out a tray of bacon, a few people take it all, it sets empty, they put out another tray of bacon, a few people take it all. It goes on and on unless you are enough lucky to be there when they put out a tray of bacon.

ADVERTISEMENT