ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL State of the Program: Week 1

Tyler Pellom

Blue Raider Fan
Staff
Apr 3, 2020
How do you feel about the state of the program and each individual’s job performance after Week 1 vs Army? Please use a 1-10 scale. You can copy and paste if you’d like.

State of the program:

AD Chris Massaro:

HC Rick Stockstill:

OC Tony Franklin:

DC Scott Schafer:

After we get a good amount of feedback I will average it out.

State of the program:

AD Chris Massaro: Just marking time. No vision, no leadership, makes excuses for his hires instead of holding them accountable.
Biggest screwup - “the contract extension and how he sold/justified it.”

HC Rick Stockstill: On autopilot with a golden parachute. Just says the right coach speak phrases. Nothing more.

OC Tony Franklin: Past his prime. His offense is too.

DC Scott Schafer: Still looking for his next P5 gig.

The house needs to be cleaned from the top down.

zeroes...... all of them

Last edited:
State of the program:

AD Chris Massaro: Zero. He has dug a hole for this program with that damn contract. He needs to go.

HC Rick Stockstill: He apparently has no sense of shame, otherwise, I would have woken this morning to news of his resignation in embarrassment. ZERO

OC Tony Franklin: What a sweet gig. Over-rated. He needs to go. ZERO squared

DC Scott Schafer: THREE. Doesn't deserve this hell. Hope he bails at end of the season to a better program.

wasn't listed so I will:

McPhee: Three more years on his contract, unless our idiot infested Board of Trustees add more time to it. I keep hoping the feds will come for him for his connections to the Confucius Institute and he'll flee to Wuhan China. ZERO

Reactions: dukewayne
State of the program:

AD Chris Massaro: 0. Enabler, accepts mediocrity, should have been fired years ago. He does not demand enough from our program.

HC Rick Stockstill: 0. Mediocrity defined. Should have been fired 5-10 years ago for lack of success.

OC Tony Franklin: 2. I wish he was back selling DVDs out of his trunk. He has a few good games, but incredibly inconsistent

DC Scott Schafer: 3. Has a few good game plans, but the D was trash yesterday and is inconsistent. The lack of depth has to fall in the DC as well as HC.

I would like to see Schafer as interim head coach for the remainder of the season.

He may not do any better than Stockstill but there is nothing to lose with the audition

AD Chris Massaro: ZERO

HC Rick Stockstill: ZERO

OC Tony Franklin: TWO

DC Scott Schafer: TWO

how does Schafer get a pass? He hasn't done any better than Nicks overall. He has his nepotism as well. His son is on the staff getting a check also. He signed off on these D2 and FCS sized players.

Reactions: C-Bow
AD Chris Massaro: 0
HC Rick Stockstill: 0
OC Tony Franklin: 1
DC Scott Schafer: 1

just horrible...

how does Schafer get a pass? He hasn't done any better than Nicks overall. He has his nepotism as well. His son is on the staff getting a check also. He signed off on these D2 and FCS sized players.
I have a hard time blaming coordinators when the results differ little when there are changes at coordinator.

Stockstill is the constant and results are consistently mediocre to poor since 2010.

Last edited:
AD Chris Massaro:

3, I could definitely go harsher like everyone else but figure it should be more balanced. There’s saying among football coaches that “You get what allow” and here we have an AD who writes a contract to reward someone who performs at a .500 level so what do we get? 91-87 record over CRS tenure. Massaro’s only way out was probably to book those P5 OOC schools every year in an effort to whittle down the contract but he needed to book four P5’s instead of two. But in the process he makes the program look worse and worse which is ultimately hurting recruiting because kids don’t want to play for a dog. This is a penny wise pound foolish program that looks at the Power 5 paydays as a way to make quick money without trying to run a consistent 9-10 win team who’s exciting that brings fans in.

You only have to look South to UAB to see they went from a dead program to a C-USA champion & runner up in 2 years.

HC Rick Stockstill:

2, Probably being kind here but how ultimately as the Head Coach you have to get something on your ONLY red zone series of the game. I get it you don’t want to give the ball back to Army but they are a run offense, you could probably give them the ball back with 2 minutes and be safe, take your time use your timeouts and get a score. There are High School and Youth coaches across the country that saw this as a big mistake (which CRS admitted) but this is FBS you can’t make that mistake at this level it is a massive failure. He got shutout on the opener with a -4 TO and less then 200 yards of offense, and basically lost ever statistical category. I’m giving him a 2 for ‘Competing’ 😃

OC Tony Franklin:

1, Truthfully the core of every problem starts with Tony Franklin and based on that statement you could say it trickles up to Rick Stockstill based on leadership. Last year was Time of Possession was 26:59, we were basically giving up 10% more plays to the opposing offense. Some folks might say the defense needs to get off the field but offense controls the tempo and they aren’t doing that, for the record MTSU TOP of 24:31 giving Army 15% more plays. Secondly and I complained about this last season is 3rd down efficiency we were 33% and two of the three were 3rd and short, if you can’t convert your TOP isn’t going to improve. The offense is just horrible, multiple times each game I see multiple receivers in the same spot for passes, this is a cardinal rule WR’s should never been in the same spot and since Franklin has been here I’ve seen it happen game in and game out. Lastly, Tony Franklin is responsible for recruiting a QB and here we are without a QB that was offered a scholarship to come to MTSU, our 1st and 2nd string QB’s are both walk ons and chances are the kid from California with change his mind (or get recruited) and he’ll back out.

PS - The run game isn’t working either.

DC Scott Schafer:

5, I can’t say anything good I think everything starts with offense and in a week when you have four TO’s offensively the defense is put in some very bad positions. You add in very little time off the field against a ball control offense and defense will suffer, Schafer needs to do a better job of substitutions it looks like the same guys there the whole game. Last point, I would punish that MLB for the late hit in the 4th it was about to be 3rd and 25 and a late cheap shot against the back up QB allowed Army to score another.

State of the program:

AD Chris Massaro: 2. Trying to be fair here, but I’m not sure Massaro comprehended the challenges of being a G5 AD when he took over and I’m not entirely sure he’s adjusted to meet the market

HC Rick Stockstill: Good man, mediocre (on his best day) HC. It’s time for him to become an analyst on Saban’s staff for the duration of his career.

OC Tony Franklin: 5. The issue with the Blue Raider offense on Saturday was not TF or his offense, but offensive line has gotten progressively worse under Mallory.

DC Scott Schafer: 6. He has been hamstrung by a inconsistent offense and defense gassed by too many 3 and outs on offense. Defensive line play under Tommy West has been terrible, is terrible, and will continue to be terrible.

I have a hard time blaming coordinators when the results differ little when there are changes at coordinator.

Stockstill is the constant and results are consistently mediocre to poor since 2010.
true that.... all needs to go

We have needed a HC change since December 1, 2012.

The 2006 choke against Troy was more a premonition than we realized at the time. We thought it was a sign of hope after the Mac years.

Then in 2009, we had the great feel good run. We had momentum and excitement. We follow that up with a let down and a dumpster fire. Fast forward to 2012. If Stock wins that Arkansas St game, he is champion and has righted the wrongs. Instead we get humiliated. That was the nail in the coffin. It clearly showed that Stock is a mediocre coach and when given the chance for real success, he fails. Since then, it’s the same pattern, beat up on awful teams and choke when it matters.

Stock is a .500 coach that pads his win total with FCS&scum SB/CUSA teams. He is the choke artist when it matters - 2006 Troy, 2009 Troy, 2012 Arkansas State, 2013 UNT, 2015 WKU & 2018 UAB. He is 12 men on the field in 2018 & the last 32 seconds of the first half at Army.

The state of our program: Having Stock as HC is learning to live with a benign tumor. He needed to go 8 seasons ago.

I think it starts with Massaro. He’s the one that gave him that asinine contract. Name me one good coach he hired besides Insell, who was in our backyard basically. Jury is still out on McDevitt if no results from him this year it’s a bad hire too.

Reactions: Raiderclyde
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT