ADVERTISEMENT

State of Athletics

Other than Baseball and Women's Basketball , what other Title IX sporting events or Men’s Olympic sporting events has anyone in here attended on a regular basis or paid money to see???? Just curious.

Yet, we (they) hang our hat on the overall success of the Athletic Dept. based on sports that nobody really cares to attend. Good for the student-athlete but I won’t donate because we win a CUSA title in tennis or the 5,000 / 10,000 meters. Shoot me.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
Other than Baseball and Women's Basketball , what other Title IX sporting events or Men’s Olympic sporting events has anyone in here attended on a regular basis or paid money to see???? Just curious.

Yet, we (they) hang our hat on the overall success of the Athletic Dept. based on sports that nobody really cares to attend. Good for the student-athlete but I won’t donate because we win a CUSA title in tennis or the 5,000 / 10,000 meters. Shoot me.
Memphis Ninja.

Winning the most CUSA titles is a good thing. You can break it down and make it look really ugly, but this is a good stat. Enjoy something sheesh.

Well considering no other conferences really wanted MT (yes I know the MAC, but that's on par with CUSA at best), I think the real decision makers know that chart means nothing. They know the reality of what MT is.

I wish I had taken a picture but when we attended the women's basketball game at Western this year, WKU had a large banner hanging on the wall touting the most championships since joining the league. MT was a distant 2nd. I am assuming they have some sports that we don't and therfore MT doesn’t count those. Regardless, it's putting lipstick on a pig. Yes, I am proud of our athletes and teams that have ammased these titles but the high profile sports have contributed very little.

In an unrelated story that does involve the athletic department...... Most of us have shared stories of an experience showing how inept our athletic department has been. I just experienced something that actually falls back to those in charge of football tickets in 2021. Last spring, like this year, you could renew your football season tickets early. By doing so you were eligible for daily drawings. Well, I was a lucky winner of a Textbook Brokers gift card. I received a note and the card saying I had won a drawing. There was no mention of the $ amount on the card. Anyway, I had it tucked away and decided that there was something I wanted recently. Took my card and went to the store. At check out I told them I had a gift card but didn't know the amount. The nice lady said "well, it's zero, this gift card is empty." Since it's been a year (no, it didn't expire) I am not going to complain but geeze. Typical Middle Tennessee athletic management.

I’ve had that happen with a dirty Santa gift. Making this a prize drawing is blue raider gold.
I wish I had taken a picture but when we attended the women's basketball game at Western this year, WKU had a large banner hanging on the wall touting the most championships since joining the league. MT was a distant 2nd. I am assuming they have some sports that we don't and therfore MT doesn’t count those. Regardless, it's putting lipstick on a pig. Yes, I am proud of our athletes and teams that have ammased these titles but the high profile sports have contributed very little.

In an unrelated story that does involve the athletic department...... Most of us have shared stories of an experience showing how inept our athletic department has been. I just experienced something that actually falls back to those in charge of football tickets in 2021. Last spring, like this year, you could renew your football season tickets early. By doing so you were eligible for daily drawings. Well, I was a lucky winner of a Textbook Brokers gift card. I received a note and the card saying I had won a drawing. There was no mention of the $ amount on the card. Anyway, I had it tucked away and decided that there was something I wanted recently. Took my card and went to the store. At check out I told them I had a gift card but didn't know the amount. The nice lady said "well, it's zero, this gift card is empty." Since it's been a year (no, it didn't expire) I am not going to complain but geeze. Typical Middle Tennessee athletic management.

Some fuzzy math.

WKU claims 35 champs since 2014.

Our graph says they had 31 since 2013.

Both numbers seem legit.**
I wondered that too. I’m guessing it has to do with sponsored sports. I would think WKU has other programs that we don’t have they are counting.

I really think we wait until the facilities are built and see if an AAC invite comes. If not in the next 5-7 years then we take up the mac invite.

None of this MAC vs CUSA talk even matters. In 5-10 years we won't be in the top division in football anyway. The "P5" will probably all go to 16-team conferences leaving 80 football programs in the top tier of CFB. We are not going to make that cut, so we will probably end up in a conference with some of the leftovers.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
None of this MAC vs CUSA talk even matters. In 5-10 years we won't be in the top division in football anyway. The "P5" will probably all go to 16-team conferences leaving 80 football programs in the top tier of CFB. We are not going to make that cut, so we will probably end up in a conference with some of the leftovers.

That's exactly what is going to happen and some of the current P5 will be left out. I'm hoping we will be in decent enough shape by then to get in a geographically sound conference with some of them and current G5. Get stable and call it a day.

Memphis Ninja.

Winning the most CUSA titles is a good thing. You can break it down and make it look really ugly, but this is a good stat. Enjoy something sheesh.

I agree but you know this will be used to dance around the documented lack of fan support due to alumni not being happy with our leadership.

That's exactly what is going to happen and some of the current P5 will be left out. I'm hoping we will be in decent enough shape by then to get in a geographically sound conference with some of them and current G5. Get stable and call it a day.
This is the absolute best we can hope for. Anything more is a pipe dream given the current landscape and the keystone cops we have running things in MBoro.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
I'll Keep it Simple...

f77e6c7fdc9de137a8ee43eb33a0eb26.jpg

CUSA is embarassing at this point. Poor leadership and a bunch of leftover/newbie schools. It's the bottom feeder conference.

Reactions: Raiderclyde
Massaro’s article almost has a make or break tone to it in my eyes. He, along with the rest of our admin and coaches, have been here a long time. Surely they understand it’s put up or shut up (and leave) time ?

I think it’s cute theres some big desire to win NOW, after we got screwed on realignment (our own fault by the way).

it doesn’t work like that. In this world, and especially college athletics, foresight and insight are everything. You can’t take anything for granted. You always have to be trying to 1up your perceived colleagues, or ATLEAST stay even with them. We did neither. We willfully got left behind and now we will pay the price. Everyone knew realignment was coming. Everyone. Been talked about for over a decade. We just didn’t know the exact time. But what were we doing with our major sports to prepare for it ? (Nothing)

It’s gonna be twice as hard now as before, and it already felt almost be impossible. Gonna have to spend a lot of money, get a little lucky, and hope the new CUSA additions are not bums. Basketball will be fine but football, which guides conference perception and realignment, looks pretty weak right now.

Massaro’s article almost has a make or break tone to it in my eyes. He, along with the rest of our admin and coaches, have been here a long time. Surely they understand it’s put up or shut up (and leave) time ?

I think it’s cute theres some big desire to win NOW, after we got screwed on realignment (our own fault by the way).

it doesn’t work like that. In this world, and especially college athletics, foresight and insight are everything. You can’t take anything for granted. You always have to be trying to 1up your perceived colleagues, or ATLEAST stay even with them. We did neither. We willfully got left behind and now we will pay the price. Everyone knew realignment was coming. Everyone. Been talked about for over a decade. We just didn’t know the exact time. But what were we doing with our major sports to prepare for it ? (Nothing)

It’s gonna be twice as hard now as before, and it already felt almost be impossible. Gonna have to spend a lot of money, get a little lucky, and hope the new CUSA additions are not bums. Basketball will be fine but football, which guides conference perception and realignment, looks pretty weak right now.
Sadly, they are all saying the right things and coasting until eligible to retire on their own terms or the BOT forces the issue.

Hugh Freeze is licking his chops at the chance to play in Murfreesboro again.
It was bad enough watching what he did to Nix & Co. several years back with A-State, but I honestly didn’t see him hanging 41 on Shafer last season.

Last edited:
We would get killed in the MAC.
We beat one of their better teams in the bowl. The MAC was the best option we had. The teams we lost to last year were better than their best teams. WKU would have won the MAC. UTSA would have dominated it as well. Marshall is better than most of the MAC.

BTW, what did people expect Massaro to say? "It's all my fault why we are in this state." "We have to get into the AAC or we are done." "I should have accepted the MAC invite." There is no way in hell he is gonna say anything except "We are in a great position and the remaining 5 teams have a lot to prove."

I will say this. UNT, USM, ODU, FAU and Charlotte leaving is only gonna make the league better. For the most part, they were absolute boat anchors that caused a lot of this crap. UTSA sucked with the exception of last year. Banowski not inviting Troy, App st. and ULL to the conference in 2012 was an absolute blunder. The AAC taking teams that are tied to markets is simply repeating history that has been proven to be a mistake. Now, many of us wants desperately to be in that conference now instead of the MAC. Sheesh. Make it stop.

Reactions: ewglenn and mtfblue
Yep, selecting teams based on media markets was a big blunder. The same mistake repeating itself. Although I would eagerly join the AAC if only to get away from Judy.

At this point, complete leadership changes in C-USA, the MTSU BOT, and M&M are about the only hopes for MT athletics relevancy.

It's mid-June and I still don't care about the upcoming MT football season. It seems many years ago that I was chomping at the bit for the upcoming season by the start of June.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT