ADVERTISEMENT

Starting offensive lineman Ethan Ellis detained after incident

Just young and dumb.

Lots of stadium steps and suspend him for Tech.
Once I would agree with you…

“He missed three games (Jacksonville State, Louisiana Tech, and Liberty) last season for disciplinary reasons relating to another fighting incident.”

This was at a bar where a female was involved at approximately 2 am. From what we're reading it sounds like the bouncers were intervening on behalf of the girl. This guy is 6' 5" or so & well over 300 lbs versus a young woman. I don't even care if she started it. If this guy was drinking & fighting with a female patron at a bar at 2 am for some reason he has issues. The bouncers intervened for her safety along with other patrons. Apparently Ellis went off & tried to fight the bouncers as well. This is the 2nd similar incident for fighting at a public place in 2 years.
How many incidents like this are ok before setting an example? 3, 4, 5 incidents?
He certainly would have been a benefit on the offensive line, but this doesn't appear to be someone I can find myself cheering for on a Saturday. Time to move on, & good luck to him developing better personal restraint in the future.

With CFB now officially a business instead of a co-academic and athletic endeavor, I imagine the days of players being kicked off teams are now over short of something like rape or murder.

Reactions: TrueBlue147
Not many details. Don't see any assault/battery charges. Doubting he hit anybody with a "disorderly conduct" charge. Details matter.

I've never been a fan of holding so and so to higher standards because they do X for a living. It's flat out unfair and should be illegal.

What the man does in his free time is his business. If he breaks the law, he can pay his fines, do his time in jail or prison, or whatever. We are all humans and we all make mistakes. Punishment should not vary based on your job.

Last edited:
Not many details. Don't see any assault/battery charges. Doubting he hit anybody with a "disorderly conduct" charge. Details matter.

I've never been a fan of holding so and so to higher standards because they do X for a living. It's flat out unfair and should be illegal.

What the man does in his free time is his business. If he breaks the law, he can pay his fines, do his time in jail or prison, or whatever. We are all humans and we all make mistakes. Punishment should not vary based on your job.
I’ll get fired from my job if I’m arrested. It’s part of life.

I’ll get fired from my job if I’m arrested. It’s part of life.

Would you lose your professional license and never be able to work in your profession again?

Because I would, and you'll never convince me that it isn't bullshit. 9 years of college and 20 years of experience in the field....what would somebody even do if that's taken from you ?

Losing a job is one thing. Losing your entire career, livelihood, and ability to your provide for your family is another.

I'll say it again. Punishment should not vary based on your job. I do not like how certain professions are held to higher standards than others. You'll never be able to convince me it's fair, because it's not.

When it comes to Ethan this is a private matter as far as I'm concerned. It's not like the cops are gonna let him off or give him special treatment because of who he is. If anything they will be as stringent as possible with him. Let him pay his debts like everyone else and get on with his life. If he doesn't learn and continues to be a repeat offender it will catch up to him. Punishment is typically progressive in the judicial world and he will only get so many chances. But he shouldn't get any fewer or any more chances than anyone else. Treat everyone fairly.

Last edited:
Reactions: arg3b
I agree with Wiley.

Current stats in the U.S. suggest that close to 40% of those charged with a felony are innocent or have the charges dropped. I expect similar or more so for misdemeanors.

This kid may or may not have done something that needs discipline. I expect CDM to watch the video and make take appropriate steps.

This reinforces for the team: nothing good happens after midnight, especially if you’re at a bar.

Would you lose your professional license and never be able to work in your profession again?

Because I would, and you'll never convince me that it isn't bullshit. 9 years of college and 20 years of experience in the field....what would somebody even do if that's taken from you ?

Losing a job is one thing. Losing your entire career, livelihood, and ability to your provide for your family is another.

I'll say it again. Punishment should not vary based on your job. I do not like how certain professions are held to higher standards than others. You'll never be able to convince me it's fair, because it's not.

When it comes to Ethan this is a private matter as far as I'm concerned. It's not like the cops are gonna let him off or give him special treatment because of who he is. If anything they will be as stringent as possible with him. Let him pay his debts like everyone else and get on with his life. If he doesn't learn and continues to be a repeat offender it will catch up to him. Punishment is typically progressive in the judicial world and he will only get so many chances. But he shouldn't get any fewer or any more chances than anyone else. Treat everyone fairly.
We can agree to disagree. My life and career would be completely changed if I was arrested.

We can agree to disagree. My life and career would be completely changed if I was arrested.

You might have a law suit against your employer or the city/state if they fire you for an arrest and the charged are dropped. Even federal employees with clearance don’t get immediately fired with an arrest.

Most places will suspend on the charge and then fire based on investigation or results.

"Everday is a job interview." - Derek Mason

Looks like we'll find out what that means with his handling of this incident. The kid obviously has a drinking problem. (mean drunk) So offer the AA route and if he takes it and apologizes to those involved, let him repent and move on. If he steps out of line again and doesn't go the AA route, bye Felicia. You had your job interview and you blew it.

Reactions: Brew_Raider
You might have a law suit against your employer or the city/state if they fire you for an arrest and the charged are dropped. Even federal employees with clearance don’t get immediately fired with an arrest.

Most places will suspend on the charge and then fire based on investigation or results.
TN is an employment at will state. You wouldn’t have a lawsuit.

TN is an employment at will state. You wouldn’t have a lawsuit.

Even in Tennessee and other at will states, you have legal recourse if you are fired due to a wrongful arrest.

One, you would have a lawsuit against the jurisdiction the arrest was made in.

Two, even in at will states, employers can be sued for breach of contract, depending on the terms of contract. Thats why state institutions often suspend on arrest and don’t immediately fire for breach of morality clause.

You have one year to sue in Tennessee to recover lost wages, damage to reputation and for emotional stress.

Side note: what kind of shitty organization would fire someone immediately without at least gather facts?

Even in Tennessee and other at will states, you have legal recourse if you are fired due to a wrongful arrest.

One, you would have a lawsuit against the jurisdiction the arrest was made in.

Two, even in at will states, employers can be sued for breach of contract, depending on the terms of contract. Thats why state institutions often suspend on arrest and don’t immediately fire for breach of morality clause.

You have one year to sue in Tennessee to recover lost wages, damage to reputation and for emotional stress.

Side note: what kind of shitty organization would fire someone immediately without at least gather facts?
I never said I would be immediately fired or talked about a wrongful arrest. Of course the company would suspend first and not make a snap decision. However, if it is legit, he would 100% be let go in a lot of different professions. Whether yall agree with that or not is a completely different matter.

Let’s be real though, this kid is most likely not going to be wrongfully arrested and booked. He was on Broadway and you’ve really got to go out of your way to get arrested down there. If it were a first time I would feel differently about it but it is a trend with him.

Also, I never said what I would recommend happen with him. I’m just a fan, I’ll still be at the games if he is playing or not. My original comment was directed at him being “young and dumb”. First time issue and I’ll buy that, any more and you can’t claim ignorance in my book.

I never said I would be immediately fired or talked about a wrongful arrest. Of course the company would suspend first and not make a snap decision. However, if it is legit, he would 100% be let go in a lot of different professions. Whether yall agree with that or not is a completely different matter.

Let’s be real though, this kid is most likely not going to be wrongfully arrested and booked. He was on Broadway and you’ve really got to go out of your way to get arrested down there. If it were a first time I would feel differently about it but it is a trend with him.

Also, I never said what I would recommend happen with him. I’m just a fan, I’ll still be at the games if he is playing or not. My original comment was directed at him being “young and dumb”. First time issue and I’ll buy that, any more and you can’t claim ignorance in my book.

You literally said you will get fired from your job if arrested.

I don’t think you are intentionally gas lighting, I was just going off that comment as written.

Back on topic, yeah he’s not making good decisions at the best and may deserve serious discipline at the worst.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT